ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread #3

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, fatlever, yosemiteben, Diop

User avatar
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 16,562
And1: 9,440
Joined: Mar 20, 2013
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#321 » by yosemiteben » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:22 pm

SWedd523 wrote:Like I get that a bunch of y'all super undervalue bigs, but the current 4/5 rotation is possibly the worst in the entire league

I'm with you, trading Zeller makes no sense if we're going win now unless we're bringing back a starting caliber C.
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,419
And1: 6,887
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#322 » by LofJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:31 pm

The center position can't be addressed long-term right now. Stop gaps are all that are available. I'm fine with the team being weak at the 5 for a while until we can hopefully find a long-term solution.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,013
And1: 1,462
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#323 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:40 pm

LofJ wrote:The center position can't be addressed long-term right now. Stop gaps are all that are available. I'm fine with the team being weak at the 5 for a while until we can hopefully find a long-term solution.

There's a difference between weak and depending on two second round rookies

Especially when you get there by adding ANOTHER guard to an already packed rotation
Image
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,419
And1: 6,887
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#324 » by LofJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
LofJ wrote:The center position can't be addressed long-term right now. Stop gaps are all that are available. I'm fine with the team being weak at the 5 for a while until we can hopefully find a long-term solution.

There's a difference between weak and depending on two second round rookies

Especially when you get there by adding ANOTHER guard to an already packed rotation


Hield is an off-ball guard. He can play with the starters or the bench. And there are still options in free agency at the 5. I'd rather have Cousins splitting minutes with our 2nd rounders than trot Zeller out there again.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1,584
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#325 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:47 pm

The team needs guys who can catch and shoot. Hield can do that. I don't think he's a good value though. Would rather have Rozier & Cody for now.
My picks:
2020 Draft - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,013
And1: 1,462
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#326 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 pm

LofJ wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:
LofJ wrote:The center position can't be addressed long-term right now. Stop gaps are all that are available. I'm fine with the team being weak at the 5 for a while until we can hopefully find a long-term solution.

There's a difference between weak and depending on two second round rookies

Especially when you get there by adding ANOTHER guard to an already packed rotation


Hield is an off-ball guard. He can play with the starters or the bench. And there are still options in free agency at the 5. I'd rather have Cousins splitting minutes with our 2nd rounders than trot Zeller out there again.

Assuming you give Devonte and Hayward starter minutes, then give big development minutes to Ball and Monk, I don't really see a place for another guard who needs ~30min a night

Trading the only veteran big man on the entire roster for a guy who duplicates much of what our 120 million man does makes zero sense
Image
LofJ
General Manager
Posts: 9,419
And1: 6,887
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#327 » by LofJ » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:00 pm

SWedd523 wrote:
LofJ wrote:
SWedd523 wrote:There's a difference between weak and depending on two second round rookies

Especially when you get there by adding ANOTHER guard to an already packed rotation


Hield is an off-ball guard. He can play with the starters or the bench. And there are still options in free agency at the 5. I'd rather have Cousins splitting minutes with our 2nd rounders than trot Zeller out there again.

Assuming you give Devonte and Hayward starter minutes, then give big development minutes to Ball and Monk, I don't really see a place for another guard who needs ~30min a night

Trading the only veteran big man on the entire roster for a guy who duplicates much of what our 120 million man does makes zero sense


We aren't giving Monk big minutes with Rozier on the roster. I guess Hield would be the same, but he has more size than Rozier and also doesn't need the ball at all so he can play with anyone on our roster.

We can sign a veteran center in free agency.
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,013
And1: 1,462
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#328 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:08 pm

I didn't include Rozier in my post because you traded him for Hield.

And the team is already capped out. They're not going to get anything good.

What you lose from Zeller to a scrub vet is bigger than what you gain from adding Hield to an already crowded back court
Image
User avatar
SWedd523
General Manager
Posts: 9,013
And1: 1,462
Joined: Jul 07, 2009
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#329 » by SWedd523 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 pm

The Rockets tried going Ultra Small Ball and failed miserably

And yet some of y'all want to try out the Wal-Mart version of it like it'll lead to anything useful
Image
Chapelchilla
Senior
Posts: 599
And1: 274
Joined: Aug 04, 2014
         

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#330 » by Chapelchilla » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:26 pm

Yeah, we need a center or large rebounding/DEF leaning PF the most now.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1,584
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#331 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 pm

And Biz is back.

Prediction ... the team makes no major trades right now, but Terry gets sent elsewhere at the deadline.
My picks:
2020 Draft - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
fox2jk
Sophomore
Posts: 162
And1: 82
Joined: Jun 15, 2019
     

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#332 » by fox2jk » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

Boy you guys are lost. Rozier will be the guy who needs to go to balance out the lineup. They simply don't need him unless they plan on trading Melo. So with that said they need to move him for a big man and big men and hard to find. Thats why Randle is an option.
User avatar
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
Posts: 45,563
And1: 3,330
Joined: Jul 01, 2005

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#333 » by BigSlam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:43 pm

fox2jk wrote:Boy you guys are lost. Rozier will be the guy who needs to go to balance out the lineup. They simply don't need him unless they plan on trading Melo. So with that said they need to move him for a big man and big men and hard to find. Thats why Randle is an option.

Boy you are lost if you think that Randle's skill set is what we need.

We simply don't need Randle unless we plan on trading PJ.

(green font ^)
BBMF'ers
Braggins
RealGM
Posts: 10,855
And1: 5,458
Joined: Jan 05, 2014
 

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#334 » by Braggins » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I agree that we need to get rid of Rozier and find another decent center option somehow. I'm not a fan of Randle, though. You could certainly do worse, but I'd still rather just add a cheap vet like Baynes.
User avatar
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,803
And1: 2,443
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Milky Way
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#335 » by 316Hornets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

So we sign Biz and he is solid role player. I think we still need to trade Zeller and filler for starting center. Drummond would be an interesting target, depending on price.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,830
And1: 1,584
Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#336 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:22 pm

The Hornets were briefly linked to Cousins at one point too on the big man front a few days ago.

Cody thought ... what if the team can actually move him to PF now? Might he be able to play with Vernon or Nick?
My picks:
2020 Draft - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
User avatar
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,803
And1: 2,443
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Milky Way
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#337 » by 316Hornets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:The Hornets were briefly linked to Cousins at one point too on the big man front a few days ago.

Cody thought ... what if the team can actually move him to PF now? Might he be able to play with Vernon or Nick?


Zeller loves the middle too much to play the 4

Image
User avatar
MasterIchiro
RealGM
Posts: 14,606
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 18, 2013
Location: Intertubes
       

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#338 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:46 pm

So far I'm not liking plan B to Harrell. Maybe we're stuck with Zeller. What is Kupchak going to do to get out of stretching Batum?
It has been written...

Image
User avatar
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,803
And1: 2,443
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Milky Way
   

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#339 » by 316Hornets » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:54 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:So far I'm not liking plan B to Harrell. Maybe we're stuck with Zeller. What is Kupchak going to do to get out of stretching Batum?


What about trading Zeller to Boston in a S&T for Hayward. Then, maybe we can get Whiteside for the full MLE?
User avatar
James Gatz
Starter
Posts: 2,487
And1: 506
Joined: Mar 12, 2012

Re: Fake Trade Thread #3 

Post#340 » by James Gatz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:40 pm

316Hornets wrote: .


Asked some people over at the Warriors board. They do not seem to be interested in your Rozier for a protected 1st even if they did have the matching salary or TPE.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=86622285#p86622285

Return to Charlotte Hornets