NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 4: MVP Thread's Revenge)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who is leading the race for MVP? (players listed in alphabetical order)

Giannis Antetokounmpo
13%
Jalen Brunson
3%
Luka Doncic
18%
Anthony Edwards
1%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
18%
Nikola Jokic
37%
Kawhi Leonard
2%
Donovan Mitchell
1%
Jayson Tatum
7%
Other (Haliburton, Durant, Booker, Curry, Sabonis, Lebron, etc.)
2%

Total votes: 354

Swish77
Junior
And1: 98

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 4: MVP Thread's Revenge) 

Post#1981 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:14 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Bob8 wrote:I wonder, if any mod except Texas Chuck, has written anything positive about Luka in this thread? ;) First we had someone, who didn't watch games, because +/- was enough, now we have someone, who doesn't believe in Vegas odds and calls everyone Luka's stans. :roll:

You really need to stop getting 'personal' about 'mods'. You've gone on some strange ramblings just because the other user happens to have a mod tag.

Doctor J is a mod on the Players Comparison board and Texas Chuck on the Trade Board. And even if a General Board mod was writing opinions in the topic, it'd still be wrong to bring up the user status (mod) as some sort of argument.

Going forward, unless you see a moderator warning or doing anything that is "moderator work", we are all users. Don't bring up "mod". It's annoying. Mods are users primarily and it's good that they participate in topics.

I.e, this post of mine would qualify as a "mod post", just suggesting that a user doesn't obsess over another user status because of being emotionally invested in this discussion.

And, on a non mod post, yes, this +/- thing is quite intriguing... because watching Luka play, it's really difficult to understand how he'd be behind some other players. But then again, we don't watch other players as much as Luka.

Ultimately, what matters for the MVP award is how many underhand shots from nearly the 3 point shot line the candidates make.

MVP sealed.

I have just one polite request. Please look how all this debate about mods began. I didn't mention mods even a single time, and I had many long conversations with him, before Doctor MJ out of the blue requested that we don't talk about Luka anymore. And even after that I didn't question Doctor MJ mod status. Others did, I didn't. I feel attacked by the mods now, so please look at when I was talking about mods before yesterday? Never, if I remember right. And please let me know, when I question Doctor MJ mod status. If I remember right, I didn't write even a single comment about his mod status.

Yesterday I wrote a single comment about mod money... and a **** storm by the mods fall on me.

Do you believe that my single comment, which was pretty benign, really need to be addressed with this force? Thank for your answer.

Dude let it go. Let's move on to better things. Let' talk about NBA Basketball.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,818

Post#1982 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:14 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
I actually think Jokic had a better game today

Luka singlehanded finished team that was on 11/0 run in 2 and 1/2 Q in away game. How can someone play better?

Bob, you realize I consider Luka to be at worst - the 3rd best player in the world. I also think his MVP campaign is very real or rather I should say: it SHOULD be a very real race, in actuality it isn't but i'm less interseted in who wins it and more interested in who should win it, so i don't care that the bookies are basicaly calling this race. yes, Jokic will win but i'm not here to argue about that

Luka has been phenomenal, you can check my posts all throughout the season. after a couple of months even had him #1 in my personal MVP ladder (when Mavs had a great record to go along with his play)

moreover, I think that Luka has proved time and time again that he is mentally built for the money time, be it clutch situations or the playolffs and in terms of raw talent and skill - he's in the GOAT conversation, even if his accolades (and more importantly rings) will probably keep him from ending up that high, if i'm talking pure offensive talent, skills - he's unguardable to the extent that only the very best have been

with that said, I watched both games yesterday and while both had incredible games, I felt that Jokic played a better, more impactful game than Luka (by a hair)

no need to get overly excited haha

singlehandedly? you have to realize that if a player takes that many shots and so much more than his teammates (combined!) well..that kind of lends itself to "singlehandedly" winning games, no?

moreover, in that incredible first half, Dallas held the Rockets to 45 pts, did Luka also do that part "singlehandedly"?

Luka put on a show, no doubt, he's on a different plain atm in terms of swag and confidence and with a healthy Kyrie and legit supporting pieces (and size finally) - we're seeing the best version of Luka yet

Jokic was dissecting and toying with the Cavs as much if not more than Luka was with the Rockets and he was doing it with his #2 on the sidelines

so yeah, we know that Luka scores alot more (on many more shots), yesterday for instance he scored 20 more than Jokic (on 12 more shots) but you do realize Jokic had 10 more assists (with less TO's), those are the same 20 pts, just in another style of production. he also had 6 more rebounds, that's far from nothing :)

box-score aside, i'm a fan of both players and in my subjective opinion watching both games back to back - Jokic was slightly more impressive, to me anyway. it's fine if u or anyone else came out with a different impression as these things are very subjective

Objectively, the Nuggets outscored the Cavs +37 when Jokic was on the floor in a 29 pts win and conversly, the Mavs outscored the Rockets by 12 with Luka on the floor (in an 18 pt win). Luka took 16 3's last night. I know he was hot and good on him but 16 3's is 16 13's, Jokic only took 18 shots total, that's more impressive imo but that's just me :)

I will be a lot shorter. Just rewatch first half.

Q1, Luka scored and assisted on 33 of 36 Mavs points and had 8 rebounds. I don't know if that's some kind of record or not but it's something difficult to comprehend. Game was was over in the half, Luka 32 points, Kyrie 5. Mavs offense was Luka.
Swish77
Junior

Post#1983 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:16 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Luka singlehanded finished team that was on 11/0 run in 2 and 1/2 Q in away game. How can someone play better?

Bob, you realize I consider Luka to be at worst - the 3rd best player in the world. I also think his MVP campaign is very real or rather I should say: it SHOULD be a very real race, in actuality it isn't but i'm less interseted in who wins it and more interested in who should win it, so i don't care that the bookies are basicaly calling this race. yes, Jokic will win but i'm not here to argue about that

Luka has been phenomenal, you can check my posts all throughout the season. after a couple of months even had him #1 in my personal MVP ladder (when Mavs had a great record to go along with his play)

moreover, I think that Luka has proved time and time again that he is mentally built for the money time, be it clutch situations or the playolffs and in terms of raw talent and skill - he's in the GOAT conversation, even if his accolades (and more importantly rings) will probably keep him from ending up that high, if i'm talking pure offensive talent, skills - he's unguardable to the extent that only the very best have been

with that said, I watched both games yesterday and while both had incredible games, I felt that Jokic played a better, more impactful game than Luka (by a hair)

singlehandedly? you have to realize that if a player takes that many shots and so much more than his teammates (combined!) well..that kind of lends itself to "singlehandedly" winning games, no?

moreover, in that incredible first half, Dallas held the Rockets to 45 pts, did Luka also do that part "singlehandedly"?

Luka put on a show, no doubt, he's on a different plain atm in terms of swag and confidence and with a healthy Kyrie and legit supporting pieces (and size finally) - we're seeing the best version of Luka yet

Jokic was dissecting and toying with the Cavs as much if not more than Luka was with the Rockets and he was doing it with his #2 on the sidelines

so yeah, we know that Luka scores alot more (on many more shots), yesterday for instance he scored 20 more than Jokic (on 12 more shots) but you do realize Jokic had 10 more assists (with less TO's), those are the same 20 pts, just in another style of production. he also had 6 more rebounds, that's far from nothing :)

box-score aside, i'm a fan of both players and in my subjective opinion watching both games back to back - Jokic was slightly more impressive, to me anyway. it's fine if u or anyone else came out with a different impression as these things are very subjective

Objectively, the Nuggets outscored the Cavs +37 when Jokic was on the floor in a 29 pts win and conversly, the Mavs outscored the Rockets by 12 with Luka on the floor (in an 18 pt win). Luka took 16 3's last night. I know he was hot and good on him but 16 3's is 16 13's, Jokic only took 18 shots total, that's more impressive imo but that's just me :)

Q1, Luka scored and assisted on 33 of 36 Mavs points and 8 rebounds. I don't know if that's some kind of record or not but it's something difficult to comprehend. Game was was over in the half, Luka 32 points, Kyrie 5. Mavs offense was Luka.

Kyrie went off in the 2nd half tho. It was wonderful to watch lol
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1984 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:19 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:
You really need to stop getting 'personal' about 'mods'. You've gone on some strange ramblings just because the other user happens to have a mod tag.

Doctor J is a mod on the Players Comparison board and Texas Chuck on the Trade Board. And even if a General Board mod was writing opinions in the topic, it'd still be wrong to bring up the user status (mod) as some sort of argument.

Going forward, unless you see a moderator warning or doing anything that is "moderator work", we are all users. Don't bring up "mod". It's annoying. Mods are users primarily and it's good that they participate in topics.

I.e, this post of mine would qualify as a "mod post", just suggesting that a user doesn't obsess over another user status because of being emotionally invested in this discussion.

And, on a non mod post, yes, this +/- thing is quite intriguing... because watching Luka play, it's really difficult to understand how he'd be behind some other players. But then again, we don't watch other players as much as Luka.

Ultimately, what matters for the MVP award is how many underhand shots from nearly the 3 point shot line the candidates make.

MVP sealed.

I have just one polite request. Please look how all this debate about mods began. I didn't mention mods even a single time, and I had many long conversations with him, before Doctor MJ out of the blue requested that we don't talk about Luka anymore. And even after that I didn't question Doctor MJ mod status. Others did, I didn't. I feel attacked by the mods now, so please look at when I was talking about mods before yesterday? Never, if I remember right. And please let me know, when I question Doctor MJ mod status. If I remember right, I didn't write even a single comment about his mod status.

Yesterday I wrote a single comment about mod money... and a **** storm by the mods fall on me.

Do you believe that my single comment, which was pretty benign, really need to be addressed with this force? Thank for your answer.

I let it go yesterday. And today I'm reading Dirk's long complain about my single comment about mods. Was my single comment really that offensive? Do you really believe that my benign comment would have brought this reaction, if it wasn't against mod, who btw is provoking Luka's fan base today too? Nothing wrong with some provocation, but kinda difficult to react, if he's protected like polar Bear.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1985 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:20 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:

Q1, Luka scored and assisted on 33 of 36 Mavs points and 8 rebounds. I don't know if that's some kind of record or not but it's something difficult to comprehend. Game was was over in the half, Luka 32 points, Kyrie 5. Mavs offense was Luka.

Mavs were 21 points up in the half.

I like Kyrie very much, crucial player for Mavs. Bur yesterday's game was singlehanded broken by Luka in first half.
Swish77
Junior

Post#1986 » by Swish77 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:23 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I like Kyrie very much, crucial player for Mavs. Bur yesterday's game was singlehanded broken by Luka in first half.

Rockets made a mini run and Kyrie shut the door pretty quick.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1987 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:28 pm

Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Rockets made a mini run and Kyrie shut the door pretty quick.

Forget second half for the moment and tell me, was the main work done in first half? Even Mavs commentators were pretty relaxed all game long, because Mavs were in total control.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,038

Post#1988 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:56 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

I let it go yesterday. And today I'm reading Dirk's long complain about my single comment about mods. Was my single comment really that offensive? Do you really believe that my benign comment would have brought this reaction, if it wasn't against mod, who btw is provoking Luka's fan base today too? Nothing wrong with some provocation, but kinda difficult to react, if he's protected like polar Bear.

Do you think I'd randomly quote you because it's a single comment? You've obviously been writing little things in the topic.

A couple of examples, this post recently:

Bob8 wrote:
Mod wrote:
Bob8 wrote:. I find kinda funny that attacking mod should be defended by other mod.

I didn't defend/attack anyone. I was just trying to help you guys see where Doc was coming from.

But man some of you just want to be big mad. Seems dumb, but do you I guess?

Do I look like being mad? ;) On the other hand your mod friend really looks to be pretty pissed right now. I have to agree with you, seems kinda dumb.

The "wink" is a dead-giveaway that you're 'caring too much'.

Bringing back another classic example, from way back - the infamous Delon Wright +/- topic - just think of how long you probably harboured feelings for the user (mod) who created that thread back in the day. It is kind of a pattern here.... in the sense that you let some opinions lead you to resent users/'mods' and maybe get a bit too 'sarcastic'/'passive aggressive'.

This is not "complaining". It is "feedback". Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am not. It is an invitation for you to evaluate whether at times you let your attachment to Luka make you become too engaged with others.

Anyway... the only think that really matters for Mavs fans... is what is said in this passage of the game...

TL;DR

No one is complaining. Feedback was shared.

Abandon the "mod" this or that. If you feel a "mod" does or says something that is questionable... you can just message them directly or another mod or report it, avoiding cluttering the topic (like we're doing now).

No one 'warned' you and no one is preventing you from freely posting. If you feel I am wrong, then just pretend these posts of mine didn't exist because I have no further comments on the discussion.
60/21/10
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1989 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:06 pm

Dirk wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Swish77 wrote:

Do you think I'd randomly quote you because it's a single comment? You've obviously been writing little things in the topic.

Bob8 wrote:
Mod wrote:
I didn't defend/attack anyone. I was just trying to help you guys see where Doc was coming from.

But man some of you just want to be big mad. Seems dumb, but do you I guess?

Do I look like being mad? ;) On the other hand your mod friend really looks to be pretty pissed right now. I have to agree with you, seems kinda dumb.

Bringing back another classic example, from way back - the infamous Delon Wright +/- topic - just think of how long you probably harboured feelings for the user (mod) who created that thread back in the day. It is kind of a pattern here.... in the sense that you let some opinions lead you to resent users/'mods' and maybe get a bit too 'sarcastic'/'passive aggressive'.

This is not "complaining". It is "feedback". Maybe I am wrong. Maybe I am not. It is an invitation for you to evaluate whether at times you let your attachment to Luka make you become too engaged with others.

Anyway... the only think that really matters for Mavs fans... is what is said in this passage of the game...

TL;DR

Abandon the "mod" this or that. If you feel a "mod" does or says something that is questionable... you can just message them directly or another mod or report it, avoiding cluttering the topic (like we're doing now).

No one 'warned' you and no one is preventing you from freely posting. If you feel I am wrong, then just pretend these posts of mine didn't exist because I have no further comments on the discussion.

I use emojis to express that things are not very serious.

My comment was after Texas Chuck questioned my mental health, and totally ignored that Doctor MJ made furious statements against our posts. Doctor MJ for sure violated few forums rules, and interesting enough non you and not Texas Chuck didn't directly addressed his writing. Not a single word against far more severe behaviour than mine. Why is that? Are we really equally treated?

Look, you mods are not normal participants in discussion, because of your status. Nobody is knowing or checking what your powers are in the thread. That's why you should be a little more careful about what you're writing. Especially, if you're clearly provoking, like Money still is. Just look at his last post.

If that's only feedback by peer, why I have a feeling that you and Texas Chuch are talking from higher authority?
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 953

Post#1990 » by Blaze4G » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:08 pm

So my MVP initially after January was Embiid. With him out it was Jokic with Shai a close 2nd. Almost the end of the season I have Luka if he maintains 5th seed. IMO I would still have him if he moves down to 6th seed.
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,540

Post#1991 » by Woodsanity » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:13 pm

Jokic is the still the clearcut leader for me. He would have to fall off hard the last few games to even give the other a chance.

FYI he has played far more games than Luka and I already consider him a bit better than Luka on a per game basis.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,635

Post#1992 » by Yuri36 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:28 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Jokic is the still the clearcut leader for me. He would have to fall off hard the last few games to even give the other a chance.

FYI he has played far more games than Luka and I already consider him a bit better than Luka on a per game basis.

Wow, clearcut leader, nothing less!
Against a guy who is having an historical season and with a legendary 73pts game as well.
And with a fantastic team record considering all circumstances (injuries, quality of the team pre-trades, etc...)

Joker must be having the best season ever by a country mile going by your logic.

Oh and 6/7 more games means far more games now? :lol:
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1993 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Bob8 wrote:

TL;DR

My comment was after Texas Chuck questioned my mental health, and totally ignored that Doctor MJ made furious statements against our posts. Doctor MJ for sure violated few forums rules, and intersecting enough non you and not Texas Chuck didn't directly addressed his writing.

Look, you mods are not normal participants in discussion, because of your status. Nobody is knowing or checking what your powers are in the thread. That's why you should be a little more careful about what you're writing. Especially, if you're clearly provoking, like Money still is. Just look at his last post.

If that's only feedback by peer, why I have a feeling that you and Texas Chuch are talking from higher authority?

If you genuinely feel someone breaks forum rules... use the report button. Don't quote them about it and try to use that 'accusation' as some sort of way to win 'arguments'. You clutter the topic with side discussions (just like I have done by participating in this back and forth).

"Money" is a Thunder fan. He's biased for OKC. We all have biases. It's fine and normal. Wouldn't it be awful if someone wasn't able to post freely just because he has a mod tag? You're referencing a post he made where he simply pasted a tweet from a Thunder player... it's not a big deal. Luka fans care about OKC, just like OKC fans care about Luka.

Deep down he probably knows Luka is better than SGA, but he has valid arguments to say his guy is ahead for MVP. Those 'valid arguments' were looking unbeatable recently and now they're under threat since the Thunder can win without SGA and the Mavs have won a few games on the bounce. It's fine. "Money", I am half serious btw.

Note that this exchange should have been over after my first reply and Swish77 wise advice "Dude let it go. Let's move on to better things. Let' talk about NBA Basketball", but instead it dragged on. I apologise for my part in cluttering this topic, so please... just review this exchange of posts... and for the love of Luka... let's de-clutter the topic with nonsense about "mods" and "rules".
60/21/10
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1994 » by Bob8 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:47 pm

Dirk wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Dirk wrote:

TL;DR

My comment was after Texas Chuck questioned my mental health, and totally ignored that Doctor MJ made furious statements against our posts. Doctor MJ for sure violated few forums rules, and intersecting enough non you and not Texas Chuck didn't directly addressed his writing.

If you genuinely feel someone breaks forum rules... use the report button. Don't quote them about it and try to use that 'accusation' as some sort of way to win 'arguments'. You clutter the topic with side discussions (just like I have done by participating in this back and forth).

"Money" is a Thunder fan. He's biased for OKC. We all have biases. It's fine and normal. Wouldn't it be awful if someone wasn't able to post freely just because he has a mod tag? You're referencing a post he made where he simply pasted a tweet from a Thunder player... it's not a big deal. Luka fans care about OKC, just like OKC fans care about Luka.

Deep down he probably knows Luka is better than SGA, but he has valid arguments to say his guy is ahead for MVP. Those 'valid arguments' were looking unbeatable recently and now they're under threat since the Thunder can win without SGA and the Mavs have won a few games on the bounce. It's fine. "Money", I am half serious btw.

Note that this exchange should have been over after my first reply and Swish77 wise advice "Dude let it go. Let's move on to better things. Let' talk about NBA Basketball", but instead it dragged on. I apologise for my part in cluttering this topic, so please... just review this exchange of posts... and for the love of Luka... let's de-clutter the topic with nonsense about "mods" and "rules".

My last post about this, I didn't start this debate about rules, psychological evaluations...you and Texas Chuck did.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,136

Post#1995 » by AleksandarN » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:57 pm

Yuri36 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Jokic is the still the clearcut leader for me. He would have to fall off hard the last few games to even give the other a chance.

Against a guy who is having an historical season and with a legendary 73pts game as well.
And with a fantastic team record considering all circumstances (injuries, quality of the team pre-trades, etc...)

Joker must be having the best season ever by a country mile going by your logic.

Jokic has better and more impactful numbers
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,562

Post#1996 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:02 pm

The real MVP has returned Joel Embiid.

Drops Mic...
dygaction
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#1997 » by dygaction » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:03 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Numbers have large and small, rational and irrational, odd and even… but not by worse or better, or more/less impactful
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1998 » by Dirk » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:07 pm

Bob8 wrote:My last post about this, I didn't start this debate about rules, psychological evaluations...you and Texas Chuck did.

I already told you I was not singling out a comment. It was a pattern.

You claim, "I didn't start debate about rules" when you literally have mentioned "rules" several times, with other users and to a moderator that you still act like he committed a great sin somewhere.

Subject: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 4: MVP Thread's Revenge)

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Maybe you should concentrate on what I have written. ;) You Serbs are the best is hardly offensive.

Maybe you shouldn’t try to troll and trigger others. You wrote it in Serbian knowing full well what would happen. Stop trolling and stay on topic

Can you please stop moderating. I think that's in the rules too. ;)

Bob8 wrote:[
Doctor MJ has forbidden us to write about Luka. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules. But hey, we didn't report him, did we? But you were extremely quick to react, when multiple posters didn't agree with his actions. Why didn't you interven after his initial comment? Isn't that what mod should do? Or I have it wrong and you have to defend just each other?

And today? You're jumping in because of my comment that mods don't like Luka? :lol:

"Against the rules", when you never even reported the man.

For the last time, going forward, abandon "mod" references and also drop any references "to rules". You can use the report button or message any mod when you think rules are broken.

You are not being targeted. And no one is complaining. We want more mods from across the boards to participate. Not less.
60/21/10
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,555

Post#1999 » by Ambrose » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:12 pm

Stop responding to each other. You both look terrible at this point.

As for actual on topic posting, last night was epic for the top three contenders.

26-18-16 in a huge win.

47-12-6 through 3 quarters against the hottest team in the league.

Big comeback and a game winner to keep hold of the 1-seed.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,136

Post#2000 » by AleksandarN » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:45 pm

dygaction wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Yuri36 wrote:

Numbers have large and small, rational and irrational, odd and even… but not by worse or better, or more/less impactful

Here is more numbers

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board