NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 4: MVP Thread's Revenge)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who is leading the race for MVP? (players listed in alphabetical order)

Giannis Antetokounmpo
13%
Jalen Brunson
3%
Luka Doncic
18%
Anthony Edwards
1%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
18%
Nikola Jokic
37%
Kawhi Leonard
2%
Donovan Mitchell
1%
Jayson Tatum
7%
Other (Haliburton, Durant, Booker, Curry, Sabonis, Lebron, etc.)
2%

Total votes: 354

AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,106

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 (Part 4: MVP Thread's Revenge) 

Post#1561 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:27 pm

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
He talked how Luka and Mavs are bad. And my answer was, vi ste najjaci.

Stop it with the foreign language. This is an English form. The only reason you used another language was to troll. Stop that garbage. Talk about MVP not bringing up nationalities to sidetrack this thread

Are you moderator?

Did you read the code of conduct for Realgm. You tell me if you think you are right to sidetrack this thread with this nonsense. The purpose of your tactics was to troll other people
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,753

Post#1562 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:29 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Compare the suns to Denver is a joke. Especially considering the Suns are known as playoff chokers. Where as Denver is known for their mental fortitude.

Do you remember Suns in that season? They were in Finals 1 year before and have won RS by 8 games. They were clear favourites to win it all.

Nuggets would be big favourites against Mavs for sure, but Mavs for sure having some outside chance.

The Suns were a mentally weak team. Not even close to the Nuggets mentality. You make it sound like that the Nuggets are in the same as the Suns. When that’s further from the truth.

Nobody believed that Mavs can upset Suns in 2022, and Suns were considered the favourites to win it all. It's easy to talk about Suns being mentally weak after the debacle. Nuggets will need to win few more titles to be considered unbeatable dynasty.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,111

Post#1563 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:29 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
He talked how Luka and Mavs are bad. And my answer was, vi ste najjaci.

Well that was a pointless answer.

Not, if you understand Serbian state of mind. ;)

A little lie. Your answer wasn't "vi ste najjači" which means you are the best. This could have related to Nuggets/Mavericks discussion we were in.

Bob8 wrote:Srbi su najjaci press.

Your answer was "Srbi su najjači" which means "you serbs are the best".
So my dear friend in an NBA forum you started this and it is time for you to end with this. Pathetic
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1564 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:30 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Stop it with the foreign language. This is an English form. The only reason you used another language was to troll. Stop that garbage. Talk about MVP not bringing up nationalities to sidetrack this thread

Are you moderator?

Did you read the code of conduct for Realgm. You tell me if you think you are right to sidetrack this thread with this nonsense. The purpose of your tactics was to troll other people

Don't you think that you're a bit exaggerating? I didn't write anything offensive.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1565 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:

Well that was a pointless answer.

A little lie. Your answer wasn't "vi ste najjači" which means you are the best. This could have related to Nuggets/Mavericks discussion we were in.

So my dear friend in an NBA forum you started this and it is time for you to end with this. Pathetic

It's MVP thread, so it was meant Jokic and his Serbian supporters, because I saw Belgrade in your name.

I didn't think that will be met with that kind of reaction. So, I apologise.

Btw. Jokic is my clear favourite for MVP. I just didn't like your unnecessary bashing of Luka and Mavs.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1566 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 pm

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Do you remember Suns in that season? They were in Finals 1 year before and have won RS by 8 games. They were clear favourites to win it all.

Nuggets would be big favourites against Mavs for sure, but Mavs for sure having some outside chance.

The Suns were a mentally weak team. Not even close to the Nuggets mentality. You make it sound like that the Nuggets are in the same as the Suns. When that’s further from the truth.

Nobody believed that Mavs can upset Suns in 2022, and Suns were considered the favourites to win it all. It's easy to talk about Suns being mentally weak after the debacle. Nuggets will need to win few more titles to be considered unbeatable dynasty.

I never said they were a dynasty but I know they won’t lose by 30 in a half like the suns did with the Mavs and Nuggets in elimination games. Plus Nuggets have shown since the bubble their mental fortitude.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,225

Post#1567 » by Mavrelous » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:37 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Here are the odds coming into the Sunday 3/24 games.

That's a strong shift in betting odds, w/o some major swings happening, probabely schedule is being priced in.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1568 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:37 pm

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Are you moderator?

Don't you think that you're a bit exaggerating? I didn't write anything offensive.

You made a comment directly to a group of people knowing that you would get a response. You knew what you did. Why didn’t you write it in English then?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,111

Post#1569 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:38 pm

Bob8 wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

It's MVP thread, so it was meant Jokic and his Serbian supporters, because I saw Belgrade in your name.

I didn't think that will be met with that kind of reaction. So, I apologise.

Now, I could have written what do you have against Jokic's Serbian supporters but I won't. :wink:
Apologise accepted. :)
BTW of course I love Luka and Mavs but when somebody touches my Nuggets (Jokic, Murray, KCP, AG, MPJ...) I jump immediately.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1570 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:39 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Here are the odds coming into the Sunday 3/24 games.

That's a strong shift in betting odds, w/o some major swings happening, probabely schedule is being priced in.

Yeah I think Denver has the weakest sos in the west and maybe in the nba. I haven’t checked the last couple of days
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1571 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:40 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Did you read the code of conduct for Realgm. You tell me if you think you are right to sidetrack this thread with this nonsense. The purpose of your tactics was to troll other people

You made a comment directly to a group of people knowing that you would get a response. You knew what you did. Why didn’t you write it in English then?

Maybe you should concentrate on what I have written. ;) You Serbs are the best is hardly offensive.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1572 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:40 pm

Let’s just stay on topic now
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1573 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:42 pm

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Maybe you should concentrate on what I have written. ;) You Serbs are the best is hardly offensive.

Maybe you shouldn’t try to troll and trigger others. You wrote it in Serbian knowing full well what would happen. Stop trolling and stay on topic. You called out a group of people
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1574 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:44 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:You made a comment directly to a group of people knowing that you would get a response. You knew what you did. Why didn’t you write it in English then?

Maybe you shouldn’t try to troll and trigger others. You wrote it in Serbian knowing full well what would happen. Stop trolling and stay on topic

Can you please stop moderating. I think that's in the rules too. ;)
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#1575 » by AleksandarN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Maybe you shouldn’t try to troll and trigger others. You wrote it in Serbian knowing full well what would happen. Stop trolling and stay on topic

Stop with trolling and I will stop calling out your trolling attempts. Problem solved
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1576 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:46 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Maybe you shouldn’t try to troll and trigger others. You wrote it in Serbian knowing full well what would happen. Stop trolling and stay on topic

Stop with trolling and I will stop calling out your trolling attempts. Problem solved

Maybe you didn't notice but I have already solved the problem with poster involved. ;) Maybe you should stop too.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#1577 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm

Bob8 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Suns were far the best team in RS, very young core, and after 1 year only Booker remaind. No way that happens, if they weren't humiliated by the Mavs in game 6 and 7.

Mavs were forced into trading for Kyrie after they didn't sign Brunson and they made great work in this offseason and trade deadline. They finally have solid young core and Kyrie. It won't be enough this year, but few more trades and they can compete. A big difference between this team and team with Dinwiddie, Bullock, DFS and Powell starting. Look at how those 4 starters are doing this year. ;)

Suns being best regular season team doesn't matter when your leader breaks down and is not a starter level player anymore. If they got past Mavs, who they handled pretty well as usual before CP3 became useless, they'd have same fate as Mavs and lose 4-1 at best to Warriors. Ishbea still overpays for Durant. Believe whatever you want though. Apparently you Slovenians know everything.

It were 2 blowouts so I don't think it was just CP3 fault. Don't you think that having a core that made Finals and were far the best team in RS next year is worth building on? Answer was get rid of coach, Ayton all other players and 4 FRPs for ageing star and the worst contract in the league. And now you're fighting for playoffs after having far the easiest schedule in the league.

Ayton didn't want to be a Sun after he was not offered a max. He was lacking a drive to begin with. It was funny seeing you advocate to trade for him on Mavs board. I almost jumped into Luka fanboys club :lol: . Cam Johnson is just an overpaid injury prone not so young player. Read Nets fans comments, nobody believes Mikal is even a 2nd option. As I said Ishbea overpaid with the picks, but I don't know what it has to do with the Mavs, a narrative you are trying to push. It was simply the new owner syndrome.

Suns are fighting for the playoffs which is not so surprising after Beal missed 20 games at start of season and they never had much chance to build chemistry. Old players don't give their all at start of season unlike Luka who's dominating the ball from the start trying to stat pad his way to MVP. Last game Suns won with beautiful ball movement and 36ast. Maybe it starts clicking. Remember Suns took two games from DEN in last playoffs with same over the hill CP3 who got injured as expected and a parody in C in Ayton. Nuggets are not unbeatable for sure. If they reach the final again at least I hope they face another true contender like Celtics so that the final is not boredness for the neutral fans again.

Take whatever you want out of this. It's MVP thread. You can continue dissecting Luka's +/- with another poster.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1578 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:58 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Suns being best regular season team doesn't matter when your leader breaks down and is not a starter level player anymore. If they got past Mavs, who they handled pretty well as usual before CP3 became useless, they'd have same fate as Mavs and lose 4-1 at best to Warriors. Ishbea still overpays for Durant. Believe whatever you want though. Apparently you Slovenians know everything.

It were 2 blowouts so I don't think it was just CP3 fault. Don't you think that having a core that made Finals and were far the best team in RS next year is worth building on? Answer was get rid of coach, Ayton all other players and 4 FRPs for ageing star and the worst contract in the league. And now you're fighting for playoffs after having far the easiest schedule in the league.

Ayton didn't want to be a Sun after he was not offered a max. He was lacking a drive to begin with. It was funny seeing you advocate to trade for him on Mavs board. I almost jumped into Luka fanboys club :lol: . Cam Johnson is just an overpaid injury prone not so young player. Read Nets fans comments, nobody believes Mikal is even a 2nd option. As I said Ishbea overpaid with the picks, but I don't know what it has to do with the Mavs, a narrative you are trying to push. It was simply the new owner syndrome.

Suns are fighting for the playoffs which is not so surprising after Beal missed 20 games at start of season and they never had much chance to build chemistry. Old players don't give their all at start of season unlike Luka who's dominating the ball from the start trying to stat pad his way to MVP. Last game Suns won with beautiful ball movement and 36ast. Maybe it starts clicking. Remember Suns took two games from DEN in last playoffs with same over the hill CP3 who got injured as expected and a parody in C in Ayton. Nuggets are not unbeatable for sure. If they reach the final again at least I hope they face another true contender like Celtics so that the final is not boredness for the neutral fans again.

Take whatever you want out of this. It's MVP thread. You can continue dissecting Luka's +/- with another poster.

Suns most used lineup played 388 minutes together, Mavs most used 99 minutes. If Suns have problems with chemistry, what about Mavs?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,706

Post#1579 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:58 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
I'm not saying it's just teammates, I'm saying that you need critical mass of roster quality to compete with the best players, who also have the best rosters. MJ couldn't win anything before he got the right team. He needed 4 seasons to even come out of the first round. Basketball is team sport and +/- is measuring impact of lineups not single players. That's why multiple players of the best teams have very good and very similar +/-.

If you're right and +/- is really measuring impact of a single player, then things should be very similar in playoffs too. All OKC's players in the starting lineup has light years better +/- than Mavs' starting lineup. It should be 4:0 easily. +/- is saying there isn't any chance for Mavs. OKC is just dominant in every position.

Or maybe we should look at 2022. The whole Suns' starting lineup had around + 10 +/- in RS, Luka + 3.6. And all that incredible impact numbers didn't matter much. Suns were destroyed in games 6 and 7. Booker with - 60 in those 2 games, Luka with + 52. I wonder where all that impact disappeared?

Re: if +/- is measuring impact of a single player then should be similar in the playoffs. You're still looking to treat "impact" like it's something glued to the player in all settings while I've been clear I see it as an emergent property influenced by other factors.

If I'm doing my regular season thing by grifting foul calls like crazy, and in the playoffs the refs swallow the whistle, my impact in the playoffs will go down.
If I'm doing my regular season thing where I can stand up to 90% of the bigs in the league well enough that I can focus on help defense, but in the playoffs I'm more likely to go up against that other 10%, my impact in the playoffs will go down.
If I set a casual regular season tone that leads to bad defense, but then I put the fear of god in my teammates come playoff time and we become a good defense, my impact in the playoffs will go up.

None of this means that the playoff impact is totally disconnected from regular season impact, but no, it's not a one number badge that a guy carries around with him. It varies with context.

Look, when the playoffs roll around, just pay a lot of attention to what the great analysts end up talking about in each series. When they talk about the stars they'll be focused less on how good a player is overall, and more on what he's doing that's working, what's not working, how he's being exploited, how a coach is making a move to help him no longer being exploited, etc. That's the stuff that really matters more than the holistic overall goodness to a coach, and it changes depending on the context of the series.

Re: why multiple players on teams have similar +/-. As I've said many, many times in this thread: We have stats that normalize for stuff like this with On/Off, RAPM, etc. If you literally don't understand how these stats work, just ask. But at this point your focus on raw +/- simply because that's what I use to try to communicate the basics amounts to a straw man whether you realize it or not.

Re: Phx-Dal, where all that impact disappear? Dude, Phoenix had the far better regular season and then Dallas won the series in a really important upset. Literally everything we'd point to in the regular season pointed in the same direction...so why wouldn't +/-? Makes no sense to talk as if +/- was the thing that was wrong here. It was all wrong, and the question is: What changed? It's a great conversation to have, and the NBA world has had plenty to say on it since it happened. Among the things discussed is the playoff resilience of Luka's game which I've been mentioning repeatedly here as well. (Another factor is the Chris Paul disappearing act, which is an incredibly important thing in its own right with the big question being whether it's simply about his body tending to break down over the course of the season or not.)

You're using only raw +/- in this whole conversation. On/off is as raw as it gets stat too, enormously influenced by who replacement player is. You brought, talked and made big conclusions using only raw +/-. You could have used regression, adjustments or whatever you wanted, but you didn't. We're focusing on stats you have brought in conversation not me.

If you measure players impact and say player A is far more impactful than player B and all that changes in a moment, because playoffs environment is more basketball pure. Than I can only say, you should focus more on other aspects of player's game, when measuring true impact of a player, because your conclusion based on +/- is obviously wrong. Nobody can become good or bad overnight. The main difference in playoffs is that all competitive teams are using their best lineups as much as possible. You can have a team with big problems with injuries in RS suddenly playing with full rosters, of course their performance would be totally different. Players at this point of the season are what they're, but lineups in playoffs can be very different than average lineups team has played in RS. Just looked at 3 games OKC and Mavs played. OKC with full roster all 3 times, Mavs missing half of the roster in game 1 and without Luka in game 3. The only time they played with full roster, it was blowout win for Mavs. Normally that extremely healthy team as OKC will have more wins in RS than extremely unhealthy team as Mavs. But in playoffs that extreme RS health won't matter much. And I don't believe many will be surprised if Mavs win potential series against OKC.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. All Booker's greatest, or should we say it impact, disappeared, when CP3 couldn't assist his game anymore. Suns lineup failed and with that Booker too. Booker was still the same player, but his team wasn't playing the same anymore and his +/- has fallen off the cliff. If he was truly more impactful player than Luka, that shouldn't happened, he should lead his team no matter how CP3 plays. Booker is just another prime example how meaningless +/- is. His +/- impact is far superior to Luka's in last 5 years, but if there was a trade between Suns and Mavs, Suns would need to include numerous FRPs to even start talking. It seems to me that not only Luka's stans consider him as top player in Nba, even though +/- is not agreeing with it.

I'm referencing raw +/- and On/Off yes, but I've made clear repeatedly why I'm doing this and you keep attacking it like I haven't countered what you say.

If what you're wanting is to compare RAPM data, I'm generally happy to go there. Certainly if that data presents a different story than what I've mentioned it should be brought up.

Why do I generally reference more raw data?

1. More understandable to a broader audience.
2. Standardized and readily available for free on nba.com & b-r.com, which RAPM isn't.

I do understand the challenges with the approach I use in that it makes sense for someone to counter raw +/- with on/off concerns, and counter On/Off data with concerns that speak to the need to use things like regression. But once I've addressed those issues, it doesn't make sense to keep bringing them up like I haven't.

So either:

1. You're understanding that I've addressed your concerns and you're purposefully pretending I didn't.
or
2. You're not understanding something about what I've said previously, and it's not triggering recognition on your part that you really need to re-consider the things you think you understand that you don't.

My inclination is to say (2) because I would prefer to assume good faith in those I debate with.

If it is (2), then I would say you should be looking to ask more questions, and do so with sincere curiosity.

Re: nobody becomes good or bad overnight. Right, but they can become impactful over night, and impact is what drives value, which is what the Most Valuable Player Award is named for.

You keep talking like the fact that +/- is dependent on context is a bug, but when talking about value-based achievement, I consider it a feature.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Bob8
General Manager

Post#1580 » by Bob8 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Re: if +/- is measuring impact of a single player then should be similar in the playoffs. You're still looking to treat "impact" like it's something glued to the player in all settings while I've been clear I see it as an emergent property influenced by other factors.

If I'm doing my regular season thing by grifting foul calls like crazy, and in the playoffs the refs swallow the whistle, my impact in the playoffs will go down.
If I'm doing my regular season thing where I can stand up to 90% of the bigs in the league well enough that I can focus on help defense, but in the playoffs I'm more likely to go up against that other 10%, my impact in the playoffs will go down.
If I set a casual regular season tone that leads to bad defense, but then I put the fear of god in my teammates come playoff time and we become a good defense, my impact in the playoffs will go up.

None of this means that the playoff impact is totally disconnected from regular season impact, but no, it's not a one number badge that a guy carries around with him. It varies with context.

Look, when the playoffs roll around, just pay a lot of attention to what the great analysts end up talking about in each series. When they talk about the stars they'll be focused less on how good a player is overall, and more on what he's doing that's working, what's not working, how he's being exploited, how a coach is making a move to help him no longer being exploited, etc. That's the stuff that really matters more than the holistic overall goodness to a coach, and it changes depending on the context of the series.

Re: why multiple players on teams have similar +/-. As I've said many, many times in this thread: We have stats that normalize for stuff like this with On/Off, RAPM, etc. If you literally don't understand how these stats work, just ask. But at this point your focus on raw +/- simply because that's what I use to try to communicate the basics amounts to a straw man whether you realize it or not.

Re: Phx-Dal, where all that impact disappear? Dude, Phoenix had the far better regular season and then Dallas won the series in a really important upset. Literally everything we'd point to in the regular season pointed in the same direction...so why wouldn't +/-? Makes no sense to talk as if +/- was the thing that was wrong here. It was all wrong, and the question is: What changed? It's a great conversation to have, and the NBA world has had plenty to say on it since it happened. Among the things discussed is the playoff resilience of Luka's game which I've been mentioning repeatedly here as well. (Another factor is the Chris Paul disappearing act, which is an incredibly important thing in its own right with the big question being whether it's simply about his body tending to break down over the course of the season or not.)

You're using only raw +/- in this whole conversation. On/off is as raw as it gets stat too, enormously influenced by who replacement player is. You brought, talked and made big conclusions using only raw +/-. You could have used regression, adjustments or whatever you wanted, but you didn't. We're focusing on stats you have brought in conversation not me.

If you measure players impact and say player A is far more impactful than player B and all that changes in a moment, because playoffs environment is more basketball pure. Than I can only say, you should focus more on other aspects of player's game, when measuring true impact of a player, because your conclusion based on +/- is obviously wrong. Nobody can become good or bad overnight. The main difference in playoffs is that all competitive teams are using their best lineups as much as possible. You can have a team with big problems with injuries in RS suddenly playing with full rosters, of course their performance would be totally different. Players at this point of the season are what they're, but lineups in playoffs can be very different than average lineups team has played in RS. Just looked at 3 games OKC and Mavs played. OKC with full roster all 3 times, Mavs missing half of the roster in game 1 and without Luka in game 3. The only time they played with full roster, it was blowout win for Mavs. Normally that extremely healthy team as OKC will have more wins in RS than extremely unhealthy team as Mavs. But in playoffs that extreme RS health won't matter much. And I don't believe many will be surprised if Mavs win potential series against OKC.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. All Booker's greatest, or should we say it impact, disappeared, when CP3 couldn't assist his game anymore. Suns lineup failed and with that Booker too. Booker was still the same player, but his team wasn't playing the same anymore and his +/- has fallen off the cliff. If he was truly more impactful player than Luka, that shouldn't happened, he should lead his team no matter how CP3 plays. Booker is just another prime example how meaningless +/- is. His +/- impact is far superior to Luka's in last 5 years, but if there was a trade between Suns and Mavs, Suns would need to include numerous FRPs to even start talking. It seems to me that not only Luka's stans consider him as top player in Nba, even though +/- is not agreeing with it.

I'm referencing raw +/- and On/Off yes, but I've made clear repeatedly why I'm doing this and you keep attacking it like I haven't countered what you say.

If what you're wanting is to compare RAPM data, I'm generally happy to go there. Certainly if that data presents a different story than what I've mentioned it should be brought up.

Why do I generally reference more raw data?

1. More understandable to a broader audience.
2. Standardized and readily available for free on nba.com & b-r.com, which RAPM isn't.

I do understand the challenges with the approach I use in that it makes sense for someone to counter raw +/- with on/off concerns, and counter On/Off data with concerns that speak to the need to use things like regression. But once I've addressed those issues, it doesn't make sense to keep bringing them up like I haven't.

So either:

1. You're understanding that I've addressed your concerns and you're purposefully pretending I didn't.
or
2. You're not understanding something about what I've said previously, and it's not triggering recognition on your part that you really need to re-consider the things you think you understand that you don't.

My inclination is to say (2) because I would prefer to assume good faith in those I debate with.

If it is (2), then I would say you should be looking to ask more questions, and do so with sincere curiosity.

Re: nobody becomes good or bad overnight. Right, but they can become impactful over night, and impact is what drives value, which is what the Most Valuable Player Award is named for.

You keep talking like the fact that +/- is dependent on context is a bug, but when talking about value-based achievement, I consider it a feature.

What about 3rd possibility?

- You didn't address concerns good enough.

I'm going out so I don't have time to go over everything again. I didn't get good answers,

How/why SGA became +/- monster overnight, why Curry has fallen of the cliff, how/why KP became a +/- monster only when he joined a great team, why Tatum has very modest on/off, why Luka is crucial for Mavs D after the trades...

My quick explanation for all those questions is that teammates are crucial for having elite +/-. That makes very problematic comparing impact of players that are playing for different teams, especially between teams with great rosters and teams with very average ones.

Concept is robust only if it works and brings good results under a variety of conditions. That doesn't look to be the case with +/-.

Return to The General Board