Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez, bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk

User avatar
NPZ
Veteran
Posts: 2,592
And1: 1,703
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Location: ^^ Anthony Peeler over Benoit Benjamin, 92/93
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#81 » by NPZ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:38 am

PharmD wrote:We'd be getting pre-season level basketball played weirdly in silence. Players would not be in shape to play normal amount of minutes.


This coming from TWolf/KAT fan. You just laid out what you experience with the Wovles and KAT under NORMAL circumstances.
User avatar
NPZ
Veteran
Posts: 2,592
And1: 1,703
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
Location: ^^ Anthony Peeler over Benoit Benjamin, 92/93
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#82 » by NPZ » Sat May 23, 2020 8:43 am

Bornstellar wrote:
Ree4erMadness wrote:My first observation is that many people here aren't old enough to remember the '99 season.

The 99 season was played continuously once is started. It didn't start and then get held up for months in the middle of the season due to the lockout. Not even remotely comparable situations


And fans called that a weird season or an asterisk season for years afterward, and not just Laker fans. It took a long time before that season was accepted as a legit one. So be it if that's the fate of the team that wins this year.
User avatar
durden_tyler
General Manager
Posts: 9,968
And1: 1,878
Joined: Jun 04, 2003
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#83 » by durden_tyler » Sat May 23, 2020 8:51 am

Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


Or they could also be Lakers fans not wanting to see the season play out because it could mean LeBron coming up short again and maybe choking against the Clippers or Bucks?
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
bamheat
Freshman
Posts: 55
And1: 63
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#84 » by bamheat » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am

GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.


Yeah and wearing masks, social distancing, and washing your hands 24/7 isnt normal either yet here we are. Everyones lives have changed, NBA is no different.
bamheat
Freshman
Posts: 55
And1: 63
Joined: Jan 24, 2020
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#85 » by bamheat » Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


Or they could also be Lakers fans not wanting to see the season play out because it could mean LeBron coming up short again and maybe choking against the Clippers or Bucks?


Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years while the Bucks havent even sniff the finals. Also Lebron is the most clutch playoff performer of all time....he finally had a decent team this year instead of trash. I'm sure laker fans would like to see the Lakers play...who the hell wants to waste a year as the #1 seed with the GOAT on your team?
GhosDini
Sophomore
Posts: 119
And1: 130
Joined: Jan 12, 2020

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#86 » by GhosDini » Sat May 23, 2020 9:02 am

bamheat wrote:
GhosDini wrote:Empty gyms, nuetral locations, a 3 month mid-season break, and an arbitrary playoff seeding is not NBA basketball.


Yeah and wearing masks, social distancing, and washing your hands 24/7 isnt normal either yet here we are. Everyones lives have changed, NBA is no different.


That's ridiculous. Its not the fact things have changed thats the problem. Its the fact that they've changed completely in the middle of the season. Makes much more sense to scrap this season and prepare for next season. If next season requires a bunch of change well at least teams and fans know that going in.
AussieCeltic
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,613
And1: 2,915
Joined: Jan 02, 2014
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#87 » by AussieCeltic » Sat May 23, 2020 9:04 am

Considering a player has already lost his mum to this pandemic, it’s pretty obvious why.

Australia probably has been a world leader in response to this pandemic and I’m still shocked our football leagues are starting next week. If a second wave hits, the world economy is going to crash
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,054
And1: 8,853
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#88 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am

NPZ wrote:
Bornstellar wrote:
Ree4erMadness wrote:My first observation is that many people here aren't old enough to remember the '99 season.

The 99 season was played continuously once is started. It didn't start and then get held up for months in the middle of the season due to the lockout. Not even remotely comparable situations


And fans called that a weird season or an asterisk season for years afterward, and not just Laker fans. It took a long time before that season was accepted as a legit one. So be it if that's the fate of the team that wins this year.


A few loud trolls does not make up all fans. Most of us accepted 99 just fine. Remember, nobody is going to call something a real season. You only hear from a vocal minority of people who like to put down everything they can.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 21,054
And1: 8,853
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#89 » by dhsilv2 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

MikeM wrote:People want to pretend like their basketball connoisseurs or something but the second the NBA comes back they'd throw their grandma in a covid volcano to watch Giannis vs. Lebron.

Don't give me this BS about 3 months to prepare, 20K fans in the stands, etc. You could hand them the ball tomorrow and have an insanely watchable product. They've been playing ball their whole lives!


I want the nba, not a watchable product. I also don't want to see Lebron or Giannis getting hurt coming back out of shape (though those two might be the only two guys I can't imagine coming in out of shape).
User avatar
Mind_Odyssey
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,579
And1: 1,898
Joined: Jan 28, 2017
     

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#90 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sat May 23, 2020 11:17 am

Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
Image
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,840
And1: 1,812
Joined: Feb 11, 2014

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#91 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am

bamheat wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:Because they want Lakers and Lebron to waste 1 year of their title window.


Or they could also be Lakers fans not wanting to see the season play out because it could mean LeBron coming up short again and maybe choking against the Clippers or Bucks?


Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years while the Bucks havent even sniff the finals. Also Lebron is the most clutch playoff performer of all time....he finally had a decent team this year instead of trash. I'm sure laker fans would like to see the Lakers play...who the hell wants to waste a year as the #1 seed with the GOAT on your team?


Haha did he seriously say Lakers as the number 1 seed wouldn't want the playoffs to be played because "they might come up short"?

With that logic nobody should want to finish the season. The Bucks must be scared to play again since the Greek Freak has done nothing but come up short his whole career.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,599
And1: 2,152
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#92 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm

Mogspan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:The NBA resuming the season is honestly a very sad thing. There are good and bad American stereotypes from around the world. This will fall into the 'bad' category. Putting lives at risk for the purpose of money and entertainment. Using medical resources that could help a community, but are instead being used to protect millionaires playing a game. I'm even more ashamed at the number of NBA players who came from less privileged communities that are basically saying "Well, sucks to suck. I want to play basketball."


You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.


Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
User avatar
chitownsalesmen
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,789
And1: 1,151
Joined: Apr 16, 2012

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#93 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:The NBA resuming the season is honestly a very sad thing. There are good and bad American stereotypes from around the world. This will fall into the 'bad' category. Putting lives at risk for the purpose of money and entertainment. Using medical resources that could help a community, but are instead being used to protect millionaires playing a game. I'm even more ashamed at the number of NBA players who came from less privileged communities that are basically saying "Well, sucks to suck. I want to play basketball."


You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.


Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.


I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.
You either pimping the system, or gettin' pimped by the system.
We don't want a piece of the pie we want control of the kitchen.
User avatar
ProcessDoctor
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,599
And1: 2,152
Joined: Jul 02, 2006
   

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#94 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat May 23, 2020 2:11 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Mogspan wrote:
You could also say it's sad that someone would use money to get guacamole on their burrito when they could have bought malaria nets instead. You and everyone else prioritizes comfort at the opportunity cost of saving others' lives. I think a safe return is feasible, and the potential societal morale boost in sports resuming could outweigh the drawbacks of several elite athletes getting the sniffles.


Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.


I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.


Sometimes analogies are so far off that you don’t have to explain why it’s absurd.
2019-2020 Philadelphia 76ers:

Simmons/Milton/Neto
Richardson/Korkmaz/Smith
Robinson/Burks/Thybulle
Harris/Scott
Embiid/Horford/Pelle/O’Quinn
User avatar
chitownsalesmen
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,789
And1: 1,151
Joined: Apr 16, 2012

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#95 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:39 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
Yea guacamole = pandemic for sure.


I don't blame you for strawmaning I wouldn't know how to get out of that corner you painted yourself into either.


Sometimes analogies are so far off that you don’t have to explain why it’s absurd.



Almost as bad as those stereotypes you are worried about.
You either pimping the system, or gettin' pimped by the system.
We don't want a piece of the pie we want control of the kitchen.
User avatar
chitownsalesmen
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,789
And1: 1,151
Joined: Apr 16, 2012

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#96 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat May 23, 2020 2:40 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.



Because some people are stuck to their political views more than their love for basketball.
You either pimping the system, or gettin' pimped by the system.
We don't want a piece of the pie we want control of the kitchen.
otwok
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,929
And1: 1,946
Joined: May 19, 2010

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#97 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 2:48 pm

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
User avatar
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 40,634
And1: 2,491
Joined: Mar 10, 2004

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#98 » by HMFFL » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

otwok wrote:
Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 11,164
And1: 2,876
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#99 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:07 pm

bamheat wrote:Lebron has beaten every east coast team in a series the past 9 years


False. LeBron wasn't in the playoffs last year.
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
otwok
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,929
And1: 1,946
Joined: May 19, 2010

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#100 » by otwok » Sat May 23, 2020 3:20 pm

HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:
Mind_Odyssey wrote:Why will this season have an asterisk? EVERY team is having to deal with this.

I only give an asterisk to a team that had some unfair competitive advantage.
Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
I personally don't care who wins this year, I have no horse in the race. I do see this argument and I could see it as valid. Access is a valid reason why one team or player means its not a fair field. Personally, I couldn't care less. If they start the season up, cool. If they cancel, cool. It's all entertainment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Return to The General Board