Rapinoe vs Green... who you got?

Moderators: jamaalstar21, infinite11285, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

Who you got in this fight

Rapinoe
54
26%
Draymond
150
74%
 
Total votes: 204

tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,942
And1: 946
Joined: May 23, 2015

Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#1 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Megan Rapinoe is mad because Draymond basically told her and other female athletes to shut up and dribble....

Actually, the women are advocating for equal pay and investment for female athletes and Draymond has repeatedly responded that they should stop complaining.

What do you think? Is rapinoe and other female athletes advocating for simular pay and invest right or is Draymond right and the market of supply and demand should decide?

Snaquille Oatmeal would like for me to revise my OP to better relate the info between Green and Rapinoe. Instead of that I'll just add his take to my OP

"You should definitely revise your post and add that the reason why Meghan is clapping back at Green is because Green is saying that he is tired of women in sports complaining about equal pay AND they should do X, Y, and Z instead and Meghan is replying by educating Green on the fact that they have already been doing X, Y, and Z and they get ignored and dismissed and uses his post as an example."
MindState
Rookie
Posts: 1,202
And1: 1,514
Joined: Jul 05, 2018

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#2 » by MindState » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:16 pm

Who is Rapinoe?
DaPessimist
Analyst
Posts: 3,644
And1: 4,519
Joined: Feb 08, 2018
Location: HB, CA
       

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#3 » by DaPessimist » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:19 pm

Women should get paid a percentage of the generated revenue, just like the men.
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,942
And1: 946
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#4 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

MindState wrote:Who is Rapinoe?


US women's soccer star. Google is your friend
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 25,239
And1: 43,015
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:23 pm

I assume this thread won’t last long.
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 11,894
And1: 5,579
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:24 pm

MindState wrote:Who is Rapinoe?


soccer player. sue bird's gf

and pay should be commensurate with monies brought in.
like that former sc wnba'er who thought wnba players should get paid more forgot the wnba loses money to the tune of minus 10million per year for 24years
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,942
And1: 946
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#7 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I assume this thread won’t last long.


What makes you say that? Uninteresting? Controversial?
dirkforpres
RealGM
Posts: 10,026
And1: 4,802
Joined: Sep 13, 2005
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Green is right. The WNBA loses money every year. Not sure why the players expect money just to fall from the sky when there are 500 people attending the games on any given night and even avid basketball fans would struggle naming 5 WNBA athletes
FIRE RICK CARLISLE
BK_2020
Starter
Posts: 2,318
And1: 2,149
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#9 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Women are not barred from playing in the NBA and enjoying the benefits of the NBAPA's CBA with the league.
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 62,671
And1: 56,664
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 pm

If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

It spurred a good dialogue, but we won't have it here sadly.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Analyst
Posts: 3,185
And1: 1,797
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#11 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:32 pm

DaPessimist wrote:Women should get paid a percentage of the generated revenue, just like the men.


Well said!
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Wallace_Wallace
Veteran
Posts: 2,640
And1: 3,262
Joined: Jul 28, 2017
     

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#12 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:32 pm

Regardless of gender, athletes should get paid based on the revenue generated and bonus should be awarded for profits.

If a company (IE. NBA) is really doing well, they could give more bonus if employers receive individual/team accolades
A student who self-identifies as Asian will need 140 SAT points higher than whites, 320 SAT points higher than Hispanics, and 450 SAT points higher than African Americans in order to be considered equal :noway:
Maxthirty
Junior
Posts: 357
And1: 643
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#13 » by Maxthirty » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:36 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

It spurred a good dialogue, but we won't have it here sadly.


So, let’s have some good dialogue. How exactly is she right?
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 47,922
And1: 54,391
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Green was talking specifically about the WNBA anyway, has nothing to do with USWNT, so not sure why Rapinoe interjected here
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
Ambrose
Veteran
Posts: 2,547
And1: 2,203
Joined: Jul 05, 2014

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#15 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Her response was far more rational than it normally is. I'll give her that. Simply writing Draymond off as not understanding and having an uneducated opinion is rather silly though.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 49,537
And1: 37,490
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#16 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:42 pm

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, women's sports are usually less competitive than men's and so they generate less revenue. But that is also a function of receiving much less funding.

Women's tennis has shown that pay equality can work. The women cannot compete with the men physically (obviously), but the quality of the women's matches is still very entertaining and draws strong viewership numbers.
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Analyst
Posts: 3,185
And1: 1,797
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#17 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

It spurred a good dialogue, but we won't have it here sadly.


Rapinoe has some pretty high contacts in this world. Some people with a lot of money. If she feels she can make a women's league profitable in a manner where women got paid big dollar salaries than she should set up an investor group to buy the WNBA. They could make her commissioner. Is it likely? I do not know but at some point a business is a business and not a charity. If she feels she could do it then I would wish her luck and hope it works out. I do not think anyone is against women athletes having higher salaries. It is just supply and demand. They have to bring in the ticket and TV revenue to support those higher salaries.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 62,671
And1: 56,664
Joined: May 19, 2012
Location: 403 Minutes in the Bay
   

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:46 pm

Maxthirty wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

It spurred a good dialogue, but we won't have it here sadly.


So, let’s have some good dialogue. How exactly is she right?


I'd start with her point that its not just the job of the marginalized to fighting against it. Yes, absolutely women athletes have a responsibility if they want more pay to help to figure out new revenue streams, lots of female athletes including her not only acknowledge that but having been fighting those fights for years. Worth noting that the UWNT generated more revenue than the men in her sport and still got paid less.... Same thing has happened in tennis where they tried to use the 3 sets versus 5 argument and Serena and others were like okay we'll play 5 now pay us--which did eventually happen.

I think too many people jump to the conclusion that women are asking for the same pay as men in every sport and that's simply not the case. But it makes it easy for people to have a quick lazy take instead of trying to take a longer-term view on the issue. Is investing in something that isn't currently a revenue producer valuable? If yes, then let's work together to figure out solutions instead of telling women figure it out, but not only with no support from me as a man, but I'm going to actively make it harder with comments like this.

Now maybe some don't think women's basketball is worth investing in. Fine. I personally think that's short-sighted, but I don't expect everyone to share my view. But sports invests in all kind of loss-leaders because they see potential long-term benefits. And paying the WNBA players for instance just enough more so they aren't having to go play in Russia in the off-season might just be worth doing.
bondom34 wrote:This is stupid and you know this is stupid.
tbhawksfan1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,942
And1: 946
Joined: May 23, 2015

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#19 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:47 pm

I vote Rapinoe. I fully understand supply and demand free market economics, but as Texas Chuck said there is more to it than that. I also vote Rapinoe because there's really no reason for Draymond to take this stand. Not a good look.

A recent example of the bigger problem is the recent NCAA tourny where there was a stink about the make athletes having much better equipment and material investment than the female athletes. In the NCAA where there are no salaries, that is especially egregious and an clear example of the bigger issue
User avatar
Galloisdaman
Analyst
Posts: 3,185
And1: 1,797
Joined: Mar 17, 2011

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#20 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:47 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, women's sports are usually less competitive than men's and so they generate less revenue. But that is also a function of receiving much less funding.

Women's tennis has shown that pay equality can work. The women cannot compete with the men physically (obviously), but the quality of the women's matches is still very entertaining and draws strong viewership numbers.


You last line is the issue in a nut shell. People find women's tennis entertaining so they will buy tickets and give it TV ratings. They are not a charity. They are earning that money. If people find women's basketball entertaining than it should show up in ticket sales given enough time.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D

Return to The General Board