Rapinoe vs Green... who you got?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who you got in this fight

Rapinoe
26%
Draymond
74%

Total votes: 204

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#1 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Megan Rapinoe is mad because Draymond basically told her and other female athletes to shut up and dribble....

Actually, the women are advocating for equal pay and investment for female athletes and Draymond has repeatedly responded that they should stop complaining.

What do you think? Is rapinoe and other female athletes advocating for simular pay and invest right or is Draymond right and the market of supply and demand should decide?

Snaquille Oatmeal would like for me to revise my OP to better relate the info between Green and Rapinoe. Instead of that I'll just add his take to my OP

"You should definitely revise your post and add that the reason why Meghan is clapping back at Green is because Green is saying that he is tired of women in sports complaining about equal pay AND they should do X, Y, and Z instead and Meghan is replying by educating Green on the fact that they have already been doing X, Y, and Z and they get ignored and dismissed and uses his post as an example."
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Re: Rapinoe vs Green... who you got? 

Post#2 » by MindState » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:16 pm

Who is Rapinoe?
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,500

Post#3 » by DaPessimist » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:19 pm

Women should get paid a percentage of the generated revenue, just like the men.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#4 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:21 pm

MindState wrote:Who is Rapinoe?

US women's soccer star. Google is your friend
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,581

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:23 pm

I assume this thread won’t last long.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:24 pm

MindState wrote:Who is Rapinoe?

soccer player. sue bird's gf

and pay should be commensurate with monies brought in.
like that former sc wnba'er who thought wnba players should get paid more forgot the wnba loses money to the tune of minus 10million per year for 24years
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#7 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:25 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I assume this thread won’t last long.

What makes you say that? Uninteresting? Controversial?
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Green is right. The WNBA loses money every year. Not sure why the players expect money just to fall from the sky when there are 500 people attending the games on any given night and even avid basketball fans would struggle naming 5 WNBA athletes
FIRE JASON KIDD
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,827

Post#9 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:26 pm

Women are not barred from playing in the NBA and enjoying the benefits of the NBAPA's CBA with the league.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,758

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 pm

If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

It spurred a good dialogue, but we won't have it here sadly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#11 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:32 pm

DaPessimist wrote:Women should get paid a percentage of the generated revenue, just like the men.

Well said!
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,975

Post#12 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:32 pm

Regardless of gender, athletes should get paid based on the revenue generated and bonus should be awarded for profits.

If a company (IE. NBA) is really doing well, they could give more bonus if employers receive individual/team accolades
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Post#13 » by Maxthirty » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:36 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

But I hope some people will take the time to actually read the quotes before their usual lazy commentary. Several female athletes actually engaged with him in very meaningful ways to acknowledge some of what he said while correcting him on the areas he missed on.

So, let’s have some good dialogue. How exactly is she right?
Water makes you weak.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Green was talking specifically about the WNBA anyway, has nothing to do with USWNT, so not sure why Rapinoe interjected here
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,318

Post#15 » by Ambrose » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Her response was far more rational than it normally is. I'll give her that. Simply writing Draymond off as not understanding and having an uneducated opinion is rather silly though.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,369

Post#16 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:42 pm

I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, women's sports are usually less competitive than men's and so they generate less revenue. But that is also a function of receiving much less funding.

Women's tennis has shown that pay equality can work. The women cannot compete with the men physically (obviously), but the quality of the women's matches is still very entertaining and draws strong viewership numbers.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#17 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:If you listen to what each of them actually said, she is in the right. But mind you that's way different from what this discussion will boil down to which is women's sports suck and don't generate revenue so shut up.

Rapinoe has some pretty high contacts in this world. Some people with a lot of money. If she feels she can make a women's league profitable in a manner where women got paid big dollar salaries than she should set up an investor group to buy the WNBA. They could make her commissioner. Is it likely? I do not know but at some point a business is a business and not a charity. If she feels she could do it then I would wish her luck and hope it works out. I do not think anyone is against women athletes having higher salaries. It is just supply and demand. They have to bring in the ticket and TV revenue to support those higher salaries.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,758

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:46 pm

Maxthirty wrote:

So, let’s have some good dialogue. How exactly is she right?

I'd start with her point that its not just the job of the marginalized to fighting against it. Yes, absolutely women athletes have a responsibility if they want more pay to help to figure out new revenue streams, lots of female athletes including her not only acknowledge that but having been fighting those fights for years. Worth noting that the UWNT generated more revenue than the men in her sport and still got paid less.... Same thing has happened in tennis where they tried to use the 3 sets versus 5 argument and Serena and others were like okay we'll play 5 now pay us--which did eventually happen.

I think too many people jump to the conclusion that women are asking for the same pay as men in every sport and that's simply not the case. But it makes it easy for people to have a quick lazy take instead of trying to take a longer-term view on the issue. Is investing in something that isn't currently a revenue producer valuable? If yes, then let's work together to figure out solutions instead of telling women figure it out, but not only with no support from me as a man, but I'm going to actively make it harder with comments like this.

Now maybe some don't think women's basketball is worth investing in. Fine. I personally think that's short-sighted, but I don't expect everyone to share my view. But sports invests in all kind of loss-leaders because they see potential long-term benefits. And paying the WNBA players for instance just enough more so they aren't having to go play in Russia in the off-season might just be worth doing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#19 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:47 pm

I vote Rapinoe. I fully understand supply and demand free market economics, but as Texas Chuck said there is more to it than that. I also vote Rapinoe because there's really no reason for Draymond to take this stand. Not a good look.

A recent example of the bigger problem is the recent NCAA tourny where there was a stink about the make athletes having much better equipment and material investment than the female athletes. In the NCAA where there are no salaries, that is especially egregious and an clear example of the bigger issue
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#20 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:47 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, women's sports are usually less competitive than men's and so they generate less revenue. But that is also a function of receiving much less funding.

Women's tennis has shown that pay equality can work. The women cannot compete with the men physically (obviously), but the quality of the women's matches is still very entertaining and draws strong viewership numbers.

You last line is the issue in a nut shell. People find women's tennis entertaining so they will buy tickets and give it TV ratings. They are not a charity. They are earning that money. If people find women's basketball entertaining than it should show up in ticket sales given enough time.

Return to The General Board