[Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing...

Moderators: KingDavid, jamaalstar21, Harry Garris, Dirk, ken6199, infinite11285, Domejandro, bisme37, bwgood77, zimpy27

User_denied
Freshman
Posts: 70
And1: 68
Joined: Jul 02, 2020
     

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#281 » by User_denied » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:39 pm

kuclas wrote:
realball wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
I mean… Simmons did in fact play all team level defense. That’s always going to have value in some capacity, no matter how poorly you play on offense.


And Russell is a career 18/5/4 guy who has been the best player on a playoff team, he has value too. I get that Simmons is the better player, but if we're going to pretend like Russell + picks is an insulting offer for Simmons, then Simmons + picks for Lillard/Beal should be considered an insulting offer too.

People have very short memories. Simmons had a brain fart Vs hawks. But Simmons had a very good series Vs wizards the first round . Did you watch Russell when he was with nets play sixers in first round? Simmons harassed and completely neutered Russell in that series. He’s a chucker. Highly inefficient. And plays at best below average defense.

Saying all that. Simmons is much better than Russell. But he has made his situation any better by not playing. That’s on Simmons. But he’s under contract. So sixers don’t need to move him. He can only use mental excuse for a period of time. The clock is ticking on Simmons mental health excuse and by the 12 month mark. Employers can demand. Hey are you coming back or not. If not. We are gone to Purdue other optional like if this is permanent mental disability.


It's fair. One play shouldn't define a player. But I don't think it was just that one play and a single "brain fart" that made my jaw drop. It was that whole series. He just felt content to fade into the background completely.
Honestly, if he went down swinging, being aggressive and just not hitting layups (cause we know he isn't shooting) then I would of been fine with that one play. But he wasn't. And asking people to disregard a whole terrible series that was obviously a result of his weak mental make up is a lot harder then ignoring a "brain fart".
The key is not the ‘will to win’… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important
User avatar
ItsDanger
RealGM
Posts: 12,481
And1: 8,626
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#282 » by ItsDanger » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:41 pm

Translation: Morey is playing multiple teams off against each other. Negotiations 101.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,371
And1: 14,067
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#283 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:10 pm

User_denied wrote:
kuclas wrote:
realball wrote:
And Russell is a career 18/5/4 guy who has been the best player on a playoff team, he has value too. I get that Simmons is the better player, but if we're going to pretend like Russell + picks is an insulting offer for Simmons, then Simmons + picks for Lillard/Beal should be considered an insulting offer too.

People have very short memories. Simmons had a brain fart Vs hawks. But Simmons had a very good series Vs wizards the first round . Did you watch Russell when he was with nets play sixers in first round? Simmons harassed and completely neutered Russell in that series. He’s a chucker. Highly inefficient. And plays at best below average defense.

Saying all that. Simmons is much better than Russell. But he has made his situation any better by not playing. That’s on Simmons. But he’s under contract. So sixers don’t need to move him. He can only use mental excuse for a period of time. The clock is ticking on Simmons mental health excuse and by the 12 month mark. Employers can demand. Hey are you coming back or not. If not. We are gone to Purdue other optional like if this is permanent mental disability.


It's fair. One play shouldn't define a player. But I don't think it was just that one play and a single "brain fart" that made my jaw drop. It was that whole series. He just felt content to fade into the background completely.
Honestly, if he went down swinging, being aggressive and just not hitting layups (cause we know he isn't shooting) then I would of been fine with that one play. But he wasn't. And asking people to disregard a whole terrible series that was obviously a result of his weak mental make up is a lot harder then ignoring a "brain fart".


When players go into free throw slumps, it's not uncommon for their offensive confidence to drop off. This isn't something that's unique to Ben or all that special. Ben is a guy who knows who he is and he plays within himself...maybe too much, but it's hardly some giant fault. The 76ers are better off with him understanding his limitations than being one of these irrational confidence guys. Ideally there's a middle ground, and frankly around 25-28 is when most players start mentally reaching that point in their game. Even guys who are stars earlier on often don't seem to know when to turn things up or let back. What sucks is this is around when we were all hoping and expecting to see Ben figure out how to be a bit more aggressive and start picking his spots. Instead we have this....
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,371
And1: 14,067
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#284 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Translation: Morey is playing multiple teams off against each other. Negotiations 101.


I honestly think he's written off a trade this season already. He wants to use this to pressure Ben to get back to playing as once the deadline has passed, it's passed. Not sure that has a chance in hell of working, but I'm pretty sure Morey thinks the summer is a better time to make a move either way.
VDT
Analyst
Posts: 3,415
And1: 2,064
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#285 » by VDT » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:26 pm

realball wrote:
Star level impact? Seriously? Simmons is a defensive player who can't be relied on for offense, what exactly screams star player about that to you? Russell has been the leading scorer on playoff teams, is that not enough of star impact for you? I said it before, Simmons is better than Russell, but if you're going to pretend like Russell is trash, then don't pretend like Simmons is a star either.


Russell is complete trash, especially on this contract. He plays no defense and scores below 20ppg at 53%TS. On a good team he wouldnt have the ball much and couldnt even score these points. No one wants such an inefficient scorer to have the ball a lot. There is a reason all his past teams (Lakers, Nets, Warriors) moved him the moment they wanted to be competitive. His only role is that of an off the bench scorer getting 10 mil per year. That or padding stats on bad teams, which is what he has been doing. Simmons on a team that has some shooting and plays at a high pace can absolutely have a star level impact. He has been an all star on the Sixers that have a playstyle that doesnt cater to his strengths at all. There is no comparison really.

realball wrote:You keep pretending like everyone wants the Sixers to accept a bad trade, when in reality they just want the Sixers to accept a fair trade. Simmons being flipped for a better player is a bad trade for the other team. Trading for someone like Fox+Barnes or Russell+picks is not a bad deal, it's a fair deal for both sides.



So Simmons being traded for a better player is bad for the other team but Simmons traded for lesser players is somehow a fair trade? Unless you argument here is that the Sixers have no leverage here and should take what they can get.
realball wrote:Embiid is a top 5 player in this league, and people want to see him on a good team. That's why everyone wants to see Simmons traded.


If that was the case the Sixers fans would be the first to complain. Do you see anyone doing that on this forum? It is naive to believe that Morey had an offer that would make the Sixers contenders (i.e. not waste Embiid's year) and didnt take it.

realball wrote:And Embiid with Simmons was #1 in the East, why would you assume that adding a better player like Lillard/Beal won't shoot them back up to the top of the conference? At least Minnesota's picks are not going to be in the bottom 10, which is why Russell+Wolves' picks is actually fair.


Isn't the argument that Embiid is injury prone and doesnt have a lot of prime years left and hence the Sixers should stop wasting his prime? well, in that case these picks have a good chance to be lottery picks in that case.
bebopdeluxe
General Manager
Posts: 8,967
And1: 2,326
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Location: philly

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#286 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:36 pm

realball wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
realball wrote:
Are you wondering why NBA fans care about one of the biggest stories in the NBA right now? You can't think of an answer yourself here?

Why would a couple of likely late draft picks suddenly make Simmons for Lillard/Beal a fair deal? Why wouldn't they just trade for an actual rebuilding package instead of trading for Simmons' extremely overpaid contract? Any trade involving Simmons for a better player is going to be a fleecing by the Sixers.

Also, if you're going to consider Russell as garbage, then you should agree that Simmons is garbage too. We've seen Simmons actively hurt his team with his mere presence on the court.


I mean… Simmons did in fact play all team level defense. That’s always going to have value in some capacity, no matter how poorly you play on offense.


And Russell is a career 18/5/4 guy who has been the best player on a playoff team, he has value too. I get that Simmons is the better player, but if we're going to pretend like Russell + picks is an insulting offer for Simmons, then Simmons + picks for Lillard/Beal should be considered an insulting offer too.


Just. Stop.

I would agree that Simmons + picks is probably not enough for Dame. Beal is an expiring contract, so he should cost less…as he can just walk after the season.

Russell + picks for Simmons is a joke, IMO. I would take Murray or Halliburton + picks over that deal every day that ends in y…and so would the majority of GM’s in the league. The Sixers need a player that can play defense - perhaps not at Simmons’ All-Defense level, but way WAY better than Russell.
User avatar
Woodsanity
RealGM
Posts: 11,557
And1: 5,584
Joined: Mar 30, 2012
 

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#287 » by Woodsanity » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:40 pm

No one is in a rush to overpay for Simmons.
twix2500 wrote:If Lebron went to NY and Melo to Miami, Melo would have a trophy and Lebron would not.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:The more I watch basketball, the more I realize that Kobe, in his absolute prime (2006-2008), was a top 2 player of all-time, only second to Jordan.
User avatar
realball
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,999
And1: 1,959
Joined: Sep 13, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#288 » by realball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:43 pm

VDT wrote:Russell is complete trash, especially on this contract. He plays no defense and scores below 20ppg at 53%TS. On a good team he wouldnt have the ball much and couldnt even score these points. No one wants such an inefficient scorer to have the ball a lot. There is a reason all his past teams (Lakers, Nets, Warriors) moved him the moment they wanted to be competitive. His only role is that of an off the bench scorer getting 10 mil per year. That or padding stats on bad teams, which is what he has been doing. Simmons on a team that has some shooting and plays at a high pace can absolutely have a star level impact. He has been an all star on the Sixers that have a playstyle that doesnt cater to his strengths at all. There is no comparison really.


Okay Russell averaging 20/7 on 36% from 3 makes him a bench player, but somehow Simmons averaging 14/8 on 0% from 3 can still make a star impact. You're delusional.

So Simmons being traded for a better player is bad for the other team but Simmons traded for lesser players is somehow a fair trade? Unless you argument here is that the Sixers have no leverage here and should take what they can get.


Obviously the Sixers have no leverage lol. Their star player has mental issues, in what world do they think that lands them a better player? Why should Morey expect full value for a defected product? When a player plays badly, his value drops, it's not complicated. When he doesn't play at all, it gets worse.

The difference between Lillard/Beal and Simmons is far greater than Simmons and Russell/Fox. Some lowly picks don't make up the difference between Lillard and Simmons, but some picks in the teens + Russell is far closer to fair value for Simmons.

If that was the case the Sixers fans would be the first to complain. Do you see anyone doing that on this forum? It is naive to believe that Morey had an offer that would make the Sixers contenders (i.e. not waste Embiid's year) and didnt take it.


Yeah, because we can expect Sixers fans to be the least biased about this topic lol.


Isn't the argument that Embiid is injury prone and doesnt have a lot of prime years left and hence the Sixers should stop wasting his prime? well, in that case these picks have a good chance to be lottery picks in that case.


Embiid missed like 20 games last year and they were still top of the East. He's missed a bunch of games this year and they are still top 5. Your argument about Joel's injuries aren't relevant.
User avatar
realball
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,999
And1: 1,959
Joined: Sep 13, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#289 » by realball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:45 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
realball wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
I mean… Simmons did in fact play all team level defense. That’s always going to have value in some capacity, no matter how poorly you play on offense.


And Russell is a career 18/5/4 guy who has been the best player on a playoff team, he has value too. I get that Simmons is the better player, but if we're going to pretend like Russell + picks is an insulting offer for Simmons, then Simmons + picks for Lillard/Beal should be considered an insulting offer too.


Just. Stop.

I would agree that Simmons + picks is probably not enough for Dame. Beal is an expiring contract, so he should cost less…as he can just walk after the season.

Russell + picks for Simmons is a joke, IMO. I would take Murray or Halliburton + picks over that deal every day that ends in y…and so would the majority of GM’s in the league. The Sixers need a player that can play defense - perhaps not at Simmons’ All-Defense level, but way WAY better than Russell.


Simmons + picks for Dame is not just "not enough", it's a joke as well. Beal too.

I am not saying the Sixers should trade for Russell. I am saying that if you're going to consider that offer a joke, then you need to consider Morey's offers a joke too, like the rest of us do.
VDT
Analyst
Posts: 3,415
And1: 2,064
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#290 » by VDT » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:28 pm

realball wrote:
Okay Russell averaging 20/7 on 36% from 3 makes him a bench player, but somehow Simmons averaging 14/8 on 0% from 3 can still make a star impact. You're delusional.


Lol, you dont make terrible sense.

Russell is a low level volume scorer with crap efficiency and no defense. No good team wants that archetype unless he comes off the bench on a limited role. That's all he can be on a good team. Again this is why all his previous teams moved him as soon as they tried to field a good team, and i mean all 3 of his previous teams. Which is why he moves from one bad team to other padding his stats on his way to a big contract. He is a completely negative contract and no one wants him.

Simmons role was not to score on the Sixers and the team's playstyle didnt fit him at all. On the right team he can easily be a close to 20/8/8 player with excellent defense, which is clearly star level impact. And he can do it that on good teams also, which makes him actually useful, unlike Russell.

realball wrote:Obviously the Sixers have no leverage lol. Their star player has mental issues, in what world do they think that lands them a better player? Why should Morey expect full value for a defected product? When a player plays badly, his value drops, it's not complicated. When he doesn't play at all, it gets worse.


If your argument is about leverage say it and dont talk about "fair" trades. Again though you are completely lost. For one Simmons doesnt have any mental issues, he just doesnt want to play for the Sixers because he doesnt think it helps his career at this point. Simmon's value also doesnt change whether he plays or not. He is young and everyone know what he can do. I am pretty sure every GM has an opinion of Simmon's value as a player and that hasnt changed over the last months he is off the court. What changes all the time is the potential trade value, how much you could potentially get by trading him. This has dropped since his trade request became known but this is something that easily changes with time. If another team is forced to make a trade then Sixers could be able to get an actual fair trade. And this is what Morey is trying to do. For the Sixers a bad trade is worse than no trade so they are waiting until other teams are also forced to make a trade.

realball wrote:The difference between Lillard/Beal and Simmons is far greater than Simmons and Russell/Fox. Some lowly picks don't make up the difference between Lillard and Simmons, but some picks in the teens + Russell is far closer to fair value for Simmons.


You are overrating both Beal and Lillard here. Lillard will miss this season probably. By the next playoffs he will be almost 33 as a diminutive scoring first pg getting an absurd amount of money. He doesnt have much value really, i would probably consider his contract a negative right now. Beal is an expiring and we are talking about a player that hasnt done much, other than score a lot of points on bad teams. He is overrated as a player and as an expiring contract his value is also not that great, especially if he doesnt want to stay with the Wizards.


realball wrote:Yeah, because we can expect Sixers fans to be the least biased about this topic lol.


Dude, it's not about being biased. If the Sixers fans genuinely thought that Morey was hurting the team with what he is doing they would be up in arms. The fact that no one complains, even here on the forums, should tell you that what Morey is doing makes sense, even if you dont like it for whatever reason.


realball wrote:Embiid missed like 20 games last year and they were still top of the East. He's missed a bunch of games this year and they are still top 5. Your argument about Joel's injuries aren't relevant.


Again, you are off the mark. People argue that Morey needs to make a trade because Embiid is injury prone and no one knows how long he will be reasonably healthy and play at this level. Well, if that's the case then there is a pretty good chance that Sixers' future picks will be valuable. Again, people blaming Morey cant even form a coherent argument and just spam their nonsensical "arguments" on this forum. I am pretty sure most people here blaming Morey just want to see the Sixers fail and are annoyed that Morey refuses to make a bad trade.
Pointgod
RealGM
Posts: 15,022
And1: 15,027
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#291 » by Pointgod » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:48 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Translation: Morey is playing multiple teams off against each other. Negotiations 101.


I honestly think he's written off a trade this season already. He wants to use this to pressure Ben to get back to playing as once the deadline has passed, it's passed. Not sure that has a chance in hell of working, but I'm pretty sure Morey thinks the summer is a better time to make a move either way.


I believe you’re probably right, but if that’s the case Morey should give him a guarantee that Ben will be traded in the offseason if he comes back. I don’t believe it works because there’s some deep seeded issue with Ben and the Sixers organization, but if you go into the 2022 season with Ben still not playing then what the hell are you even doing.
User avatar
Synciere
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,564
And1: 1,816
Joined: Jun 08, 2004
Contact:
     

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#292 » by Synciere » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm

Random Rankings from some site:

1 Giannis Antetokounmpo
2 Kevin Durant
3 Stephen Curry
4 Nikola Jokic
5 LeBron James
6 Luka Doncic
7 Joel Embiid
8 Jimmy Butler
9 Paul George
10 James Harden
11 Chris Paul
12 Damian Lillard
13 Devin Booker
14 Jayson Tatum
15 Anthony Davis
16 Donovan Mitchell
17 Trae Young
18 DeMar DeRozan
19 Ja Morant Grizzlies
20 Rudy Gobert
21 Bam Adebayo
22 Khris Middleton Bucks
23 Zach LaVine
24 Draymond Green
25 Bradley Beal
26 Karl-Anthony Towns
27 Jrue Holiday
28 LaMelo Ball
29 Jaylen Brown
30 Domatas Sabonis

I think the top 17 are a clear no go..

Maybe the Bulls would give up DeRozan or Lavine.... but why? They already have Ball. Bucks just won with Middleton and Jrue. Green would make sense for the Warriors, but I don't think he's really to 25. Celtics have already said they won't move Tatum or Jaylen Brown. Does Sabonis fit with Embiid? Gobert, Towns and Bam don't. Beal has taken himself off the table, but he'll be a free agent soon and can just pick his own team. No reason to go to Philly.

I'm not sure where Morey is seeing this top 25 talent coming from. It's either LIllard or Beal and neither have said they'll demand a trade. It could be the Bulls players but they're the top seed right now. Why mess that up for Simmons?
SelfishPlayer
Veteran
Posts: 2,832
And1: 1,101
Joined: May 23, 2014

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#293 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:55 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Translation: Morey is playing multiple teams off against each other. Negotiations 101.


Perhaps, but I have zero confidence in him as a GM. He has ruined the Sixers. He has been trying to trade Simmons since he joined the team. It has been two seasons now. Morey is sabotaging the Sixers.
User avatar
realball
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,999
And1: 1,959
Joined: Sep 13, 2006
 

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#294 » by realball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 pm

VDT wrote:Russell is a low level volume scorer with crap efficiency and no defense. No good team wants that archetype unless he comes off the bench on a limited role. That's all he can be on a good team. Again this is why all his previous teams moved him as soon as they tried to field a good team, and i mean all 3 of his previous teams. Which is why he moves from one bad team to other padding his stats on his way to a big contract. He is a completely negative contract and no one wants him.

Simmons role was not to score on the Sixers and the team's playstyle didnt fit him at all. On the right team he can easily be a close to 20/8/8 player with excellent defense, which is clearly star level impact. And he can do it that on good teams also, which makes him actually useful, unlike Russell.


If Russell is a low level scorer, what does that make Simmons? Simmons never even scored over 17 ppg, why would be suddenly become a 20 ppg scorer on another team? Was he lacking touches on the Sixers or something?

You just keep saying "you put the right team around Simmons and he's a star". You could say that for Russell too. You put the right team around him and he will be an All-Star again. Russell hasn't had the luxury of playing with a top 5 player like Simmons has had. Be consistent with your arguments, stop putting pumping up Simmons by putting him in hypothetical scenarios and then trashing everyone else.

So what if other teams moved on from Russell? The Nets traded him so they could get Kyrie and Durant. The Warriors got Wiggins and Kuminga for him. If anything it should show you how much Russell is really worth.

If your argument is about leverage say it and dont talk about "fair" trades. Again though you are completely lost. For one Simmons doesnt have any mental issues, he just doesnt want to play for the Sixers because he doesnt think it helps his career at this point. Simmon's value also doesnt change whether he plays or not. He is young and everyone know what he can do. I am pretty sure every GM has an opinion of Simmon's value as a player and that hasnt changed over the last months he is off the court. What changes all the time is the potential trade value, how much you could potentially get by trading him. This has dropped since his trade request became known but this is something that easily changes with time. If another team is forced to make a trade then Sixers could be able to get an actual fair trade. And this is what Morey is trying to do. For the Sixers a bad trade is worse than no trade so they are waiting until other teams are also forced to make a trade.


I mean Simmons clearly has mental issues. It's not just him sitting out, it's him not being able to take a three and or make a free throw. Once again, just you being delusional.

It's hilarious that you make assumptions like "Simmons value hasn't dropped" with zero reasoning. Why would a player who is a malcontent and a choker in the playoffs still be judged on his regular season play from a year ago? Do you NBA GMs have dementia or something? Why would a GM trade for Simmons knowing that he could pull this crap on them in the future?

Why would any team be "forced" to trade for Simmons when he barely improves his own team? Sixers were #1 in the East without him this season before Joel got injured, so why would anyone see Simmons as being their franchise's saviour? Use your brain man.

You are overrating both Beal and Lillard here. Lillard will miss this season probably. By the next playoffs he will be almost 33 as a diminutive scoring first pg getting an absurd amount of money. He doesnt have much value really, i would probably consider his contract a negative right now. Beal is an expiring and we are talking about a player that hasnt done much, other than score a lot of points on bad teams. He is overrated as a player and as an expiring contract his value is also not that great, especially if he doesnt want to stay with the Wizards.


Yeah the issue is me overrating future HOFer Damian Lillard and not you overrating two-time All-Star Simmons lol. Good one.

Dude, it's not about being biased. If the Sixers fans genuinely thought that Morey was hurting the team with what he is doing they would be up in arms. The fact that no one complains, even here on the forums, should tell you that what Morey is doing makes sense, even if you dont like it for whatever reason.


You think Sixers fans not complaining about their team is somehow proof that Morey is doing just fine? Your arguments are just getting lamer.

Again, you are off the mark. People argue that Morey needs to make a trade because Embiid is injury prone and no one knows how long he will be reasonably healthy and play at this level. Well, if that's the case then there is a pretty good chance that Sixers' future picks will be valuable. Again, people blaming Morey cant even form a coherent argument and just spam their nonsensical "arguments" on this forum. I am pretty sure most people here blaming Morey just want to see the Sixers fail and are annoyed that Morey refuses to make a bad trade.


Embiid being injury-prone is a fear that he might miss games, not that his abilities are suddenly going to decline. He is leading his team to a top 5 record in the East despite not having Simmons AND missing a bunch of games. Why would you just assume those picks are going to be valuable, especially if they are traded for another superstar like Lillard? You think the Blazers would rather trade for picks that MIGHT be valuable, or trade Lillard for picks that actually will be valuable?
KramerDSP
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,499
And1: 701
Joined: Feb 14, 2009
       

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#295 » by KramerDSP » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:05 pm

My take is that Daryl Morey is waiting for Vivek Ranadive to blink. Based on the chatter about Fox today, my belief is that Morey is talking to the Pelicans and letting them know that he can get them Fox if they give up Ingram (with Simmons going to Sacramento). I don't see Ingram as a "top-25" player, but he can be sold as a player who will be locked up for multiple years and who is on Embiid's timeline. I think it's Haliburton or Ingram at the deadline or nothing happens until the draft.

On an aside, I don't get all this hand wringing about Morey. The owners are on board. The franchise player is on board. Someone will ultimately pay up for the rights to Simmons. And you have to think the Sacramento Kings are the most likely franchise to do this, in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.
"I don’t wanna be Jordan, I don’t wanna be Magic, I don’t wanna be Bird or Isiah. I don’t wanna be any of those guys. When my career’s over, I''m gonna look in the mirror and say I did it my way.”- Allen Iverson
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 23,845
And1: 23,680
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#296 » by zimpy27 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 pm

KramerDSP wrote:My take is that Daryl Morey is waiting for Vivek Ranadive to blink. Based on the chatter about Fox today, my belief is that Morey is talking to the Pelicans and letting them know that he can get them Fox if they give up Ingram (with Simmons going to Sacramento). I don't see Ingram as a "top-25" player, but he can be sold as a player who will be locked up for multiple years and who is on Embiid's timeline. I think it's Haliburton or Ingram at the deadline or nothing happens until the draft.

On an aside, I don't get all this hand wringing about Morey. The owners are on board. The franchise player is on board. Someone will ultimately pay up for the rights to Simmons. And you have to think the Sacramento Kings are the most likely franchise to do this, in a desperate attempt to make the playoffs.


If I'm the pelicans I'm taking Simmons over Fox.
They are crying out for a defensive wing that can cover Zions flaws. Simmons can also step into Zions role when he's inevitably injured
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 34,429
And1: 34,569
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#297 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:48 pm

Morey should be fired if he can't find a trade. Period.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 30,371
And1: 14,067
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#298 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 pm

Pointgod wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
ItsDanger wrote:Translation: Morey is playing multiple teams off against each other. Negotiations 101.


I honestly think he's written off a trade this season already. He wants to use this to pressure Ben to get back to playing as once the deadline has passed, it's passed. Not sure that has a chance in hell of working, but I'm pretty sure Morey thinks the summer is a better time to make a move either way.


I believe you’re probably right, but if that’s the case Morey should give him a guarantee that Ben will be traded in the offseason if he comes back. I don’t believe it works because there’s some deep seeded issue with Ben and the Sixers organization, but if you go into the 2022 season with Ben still not playing then what the hell are you even doing.


The problem ultimately is that, nobody seems actually up for trade right now. And on top of all that, I doubt the 76er owners are overly excited about rushing at all. These are hedge fund/private equity types. They made their career on thinking 10-20 years ahead and not worrying about this year or even next. You tell them they have a 4 year deal and you show them trades with guys with 1 year left, and I just don't see them ready to sign off on a quick move.

Ultimately, I don't see Ben getting any assurances what so ever. And with this play in game and covid creating so much uncertainty, who knows if we'll ever see a blockbuster trade this summer?
User avatar
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 13,908
And1: 26,517
Joined: Jun 14, 2011

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#299 » by niQ » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 pm

The never-ending saga.
Image
Credits Clutch0z24
User avatar
DusterBuster
RealGM
Posts: 29,162
And1: 13,900
Joined: Jan 31, 2010
   

Re: [Woj] Teams have described Sixers asking price for Simmons' as growing... 

Post#300 » by DusterBuster » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:08 pm

VDT wrote:
realball wrote:The difference between Lillard/Beal and Simmons is far greater than Simmons and Russell/Fox. Some lowly picks don't make up the difference between Lillard and Simmons, but some picks in the teens + Russell is far closer to fair value for Simmons.


You are overrating both Beal and Lillard here. Lillard will miss this season probably. By the next playoffs he will be almost 33 as a diminutive scoring first pg getting an absurd amount of money. He doesnt have much value really, i would probably consider his contract a negative right now. Beal is an expiring and we are talking about a player that hasnt done much, other than score a lot of points on bad teams. He is overrated as a player and as an expiring contract his value is also not that great, especially if he doesnt want to stay with the Wizards.


LOL @ diminutive. He's freaking 6'2". That's on the taller end of the average NBA PG height...

Read the rest of your post and realize you're not a serious person. Carry on.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll

Return to The General Board