Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era?

Moderators: Clyde Frazier, Doctor MJ, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Quotatious, penbeast0

Which of these players would drop off the most if they moved into today's league?

1-Payton
10
19%
2-Stockton
1
2%
3-Drexler
6
11%
4-Pippen
2
4%
5-Barkley
2
4%
6-Malone
4
8%
7-Ewing
6
11%
8-Rodman
15
28%
9-Shaq
4
8%
10-Penny
3
6%
 
Total votes: 53

pipfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,364
And1: 2,078
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:46 pm

If we could move these 10 stars from the 90's, at their peak, to today's league, which would suffer the most drop off in level of play due to the new game?
I am leaving off MJ, Hakeem and DRob-since they would be as or more awesome today

My vote is Malone-I think the Mailman would really drop off. His physical style would not be allowed and, while a good defender, he could not protect the rim
falcolombardi
Veteran
Posts: 2,515
And1: 1,645
Joined: Apr 13, 2021
       

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#2 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:01 pm

dunno
No-more-rings
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,531
And1: 2,890
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#3 » by No-more-rings » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:12 pm

From that list it might be Ewing honestly. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be a top center today, but I'd argue him clearly worse than Jokic and Embiid(when healthy) at that position.
falcolombardi
Veteran
Posts: 2,515
And1: 1,645
Joined: Apr 13, 2021
       

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#4 » by falcolombardi » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:27 pm

No-more-rings wrote:From that list it might be Ewing honestly. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be a top center today, but I'd argue him clearly worse than Jokic and Embiid(when healthy) at that position.


was not he already clearly worse than robinson and hakeem in his own era ?
User avatar
Ryoga Hibiki
General Manager
Posts: 7,512
And1: 2,887
Joined: Nov 14, 2001
Location: Warszawa now, but from Northern Italy

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#5 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:34 pm

Mutombo

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Follow the Build Your Realistic Team tournament threads!
The Tournament
Your vote will decide the winners!

My team:
B. Beal
L. Ball
J. Harris
G. Antetokoumpo
N. Vucevic

H. Barnes
L. Dort
Bog. Bogdanovic
I. Zubac
C. Payne
SHAQ32
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,245
And1: 2,486
Joined: Mar 21, 2013
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#6 » by SHAQ32 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:43 pm

Rodman then Drexler
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 19,755
And1: 14,963
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#7 » by 70sFan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Mutombo

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

Don't see any reason why Mutombo wouldn't be able to reach Rudy Gobert level today.
No-more-rings
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,531
And1: 2,890
Joined: Oct 04, 2018

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#8 » by No-more-rings » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:53 pm

falcolombardi wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:From that list it might be Ewing honestly. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be a top center today, but I'd argue him clearly worse than Jokic and Embiid(when healthy) at that position.


was not he already clearly worse than robinson and hakeem in his own era ?

Yeah but that doesn’t change my point. I feel if he maintained his real time impact he’d at least have a good case over embiid. I can’t see it if he played today, he didn’t have nearly Embiid’s offensive arsenal.
Cavsfansince84
General Manager
Posts: 9,640
And1: 7,000
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#9 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:00 am

SHAQ32 wrote:Rodman then Drexler


These two came to my mind but at the same time Rodman could shoot to some degree so might be ok. He mainly just chose to not shoot after about 92 and focus entirely on rebounding/defense which his coaches were ok with.
falcolombardi
Veteran
Posts: 2,515
And1: 1,645
Joined: Apr 13, 2021
       

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#10 » by falcolombardi » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:23 am

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
SHAQ32 wrote:Rodman then Drexler


These two came to my mind but at the same time Rodman could shoot to some degree so might be ok. He mainly just chose to not shoot after about 92 and focus entirely on rebounding/defense which his coaches were ok with.


is not like drexler was ben simmons either
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 53,013
And1: 13,292
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#11 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:13 am

Payton. His defense is not as good against smaller players before considering handcheck rule, although he could play as a SG. Offensively his game is somewhat dated.
FREEDOM RULES
User avatar
prolific passer
Rookie
Posts: 1,171
And1: 347
Joined: Mar 11, 2009

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#12 » by prolific passer » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:17 am

How would Ewing and Malone be bad due to them being athletic, strong, and fast bigs who can play in the low post, high post, and mid range? Ewing from 88-97 was great. Same with Malone from 88-98. Rodman from 87-92 (maybe even 93) would probably thrive in this era.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 19,755
And1: 14,963
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#13 » by 70sFan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 am

No-more-rings wrote:
falcolombardi wrote:
No-more-rings wrote:From that list it might be Ewing honestly. It doesn't mean he wouldn't be a top center today, but I'd argue him clearly worse than Jokic and Embiid(when healthy) at that position.


was not he already clearly worse than robinson and hakeem in his own era ?

Yeah but that doesn’t change my point. I feel if he maintained his real time impact he’d at least have a good case over embiid. I can’t see it if he played today, he didn’t have nearly Embiid’s offensive arsenal.

Ewing was far smarter defensive player though, with higher motor as well.
JN61
General Manager
Posts: 7,683
And1: 6,095
Joined: Jan 07, 2018
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#14 » by JN61 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 am

I've to go with Payton here.

Significantly less impactful defensively and similar issues shooting wise as Westbrook has while not being as good athletically or playmaking wise. One can argue a bit better scorer than Westbrook but even then marginally and as a non volume scorer.
User avatar
Ryoga Hibiki
General Manager
Posts: 7,512
And1: 2,887
Joined: Nov 14, 2001
Location: Warszawa now, but from Northern Italy

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#15 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:21 am

70sFan wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Mutombo

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

Don't see any reason why Mutombo wouldn't be able to reach Rudy Gobert level today.

less active offensively and way worse hands.
He'd likely replicate his defensive impact but be much more of a negative on offense.
Follow the Build Your Realistic Team tournament threads!
The Tournament
Your vote will decide the winners!

My team:
B. Beal
L. Ball
J. Harris
G. Antetokoumpo
N. Vucevic

H. Barnes
L. Dort
Bog. Bogdanovic
I. Zubac
C. Payne
Dutchball97
Analyst
Posts: 3,344
And1: 2,984
Joined: Mar 28, 2020
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#16 » by Dutchball97 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 am

I voted Rodman but I think that was a shortsighted choice. Looking at how effective Jarred Vanderbilt is for the Grizzlies at the moment and considering how Rodman is a better perimeter defender, better passer and better at their primary skill of rebounding as well I'm not sure Rodman would actually be that much worse now than in the 90s. He probably wouldn't make an All-Star team in today's league but his impact overall probably wouldn't drop that significantly either way.

Instead I agree on Payton probably taking the biggest hit when transitioning to the current era. His defense wouldn't be as effective and his shooting and passing is lacking for a modern PG.
70sFan
RealGM
Posts: 19,755
And1: 14,963
Joined: Aug 11, 2015
 

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#17 » by 70sFan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:29 am

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
70sFan wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Mutombo

___
Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

Don't see any reason why Mutombo wouldn't be able to reach Rudy Gobert level today.

less active offensively and way worse hands.
He'd likely replicate his offensive impact but be much more of a negative on offense.

I don't think Mutombo would be negative on offense. Remember that teams asked him to play in the post back then, while his true strengths (finishing, screen setting) were underutilized.

Rudy has been playing ridiculous on offense this season, so you might be right. At the same time, I think that Mutombo was a bit better defender even adjusting for modern era. I don't know, I think it's close.
ArtMorte
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,321
And1: 1,552
Joined: Jan 15, 2018
   

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#18 » by ArtMorte » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:03 am

Rodman might still be a good hustler, but I think it would be much harder nowadays to fit him into a contender.

Maybe Drexler, too, but he improved his 3pt shot towards the end of his career, who knows how good an SG he would have been had he practiced in the three-ball era.

I think Ewing and Malone would be fine. If your mid-range is super good, you can still do very well with it.
Colbinii
RealGM
Posts: 19,139
And1: 10,850
Joined: Feb 13, 2013

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#19 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Gary Payton and Dikembe Mutombo

I think Stockton and Miller would rise the most
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.


penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.


E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.
pipfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,364
And1: 2,078
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Re: Which 90's Star would drop the most in the present era? 

Post#20 » by pipfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:17 pm

Remember, this is relative-how much would they drop from their level of the 90's. KMalone was a 2 time MVP in the 90's-I don't see him landing in the top 5 today. Still a great player, of course, but his game was built for that era

Payton is my other top choice-he couldn't have been as physical on D and he wasn't a good shooter. One of my all time favorite players, but he would not be a top 10 player today

Return to Player Comparisons