Bynum vs Yao

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Myth_Breaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 58

Post#121 » by Myth_Breaker » Wed Jan 9, 2008 1:04 pm

10 pages of so poor learning comprehence from the part of certain Yao fans, still not getting that it's not about who is better NOW (obviously Yao, and by far), but who will be better for FUTURE to build around. But it can hardly surprise considering some of them don't even know what "potential" means... :crazy:

That being said, even though it's a comparison for future, I'd rather wait for the end of the season with making it.
http://wiltfan.tripod.com
Read: Edward Lucas "The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West".
"So what, son, did your Poles help you?" YES, WE DID!
***** *** Kukiza i Konfederację!
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#122 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:45 pm

This thread is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), and the Laker fans are being homers obviously, lock, close thread, its a **** disgrace to see 11 pages on here, and I don't even know why I'm here still arguing against a bunch of people who don't know anything about "Skill", or have seen Yao play.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#123 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:27 pm

Myth_Breaker wrote:10 pages of so poor learning comprehence from the part of certain Yao fans, still not getting that it's not about who is better NOW (obviously Yao, and by far), but who will be better for FUTURE to build around. But it can hardly surprise considering some of them don't even know what "potential" means... :crazy:

That being said, even though it's a comparison for future, I'd rather wait for the end of the season with making it.

What? I like watching him play, but I'm not a Yao fan. Potential is uncertain, so I'd question your full understanding or of the concept. Andrew Bynum is not a sure thing. Yao is... and for those of us who have watched him play... a top 2 center in the NBA. Will Bynum ever be a top 2 center in the NBA? I'm sure some of you are already completely convinced of that based on a great run and some youtube clips. I've said before and I'll say it again. To avoid rehashing the same old arguments, go back and read all 10 pages, some of them actually make a little sense.
SDChargers#1
Starter
And1: 104

Post#124 » by SDChargers#1 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:13 pm

SabasRevenge! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What? I like watching him play, but I'm not a Yao fan. Potential is uncertain, so I'd question your full understanding or of the concept. Andrew Bynum is not a sure thing. Yao is... and for those of us who have watched him play... a top 2 center in the NBA. Will Bynum ever be a top 2 center in the NBA? I'm sure some of you are already completely convinced of that based on a great run and some youtube clips. I've said before and I'll say it again. To avoid rehashing the same old arguments, go back and read all 10 pages, some of them actually make a little sense.

Yes potential is uncertain. Which is why it is incredibly annoying hearing Bynum haters saying things like.

"Bynum will never be half the player Yao is" (he already is more than half)

"Bynum may be good one day" (he is already good)

"Bynum's ceiling is around 20/10, but no more"

So Laker fans are homers because we say he has a super high potential? But everyone else gets a free pass cause they KNOW what is going to happen? Give me a break.
The_Believer
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#125 » by The_Believer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:48 pm

LOL yao has better rebounding and defense than Bynum
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#126 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:36 pm

U-Borat wrote:
nsballer07 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well Im not hating on Bynum, I reallly do like him, and I've seen him play many times this season. He is going to be a great player one day, I'm just here to defend Yaoo...

Comparing him to Curry, and saying that Curry is better is either hating, or you're mildly (Please Use More Appropriate Word).

Skill....

Bynum doesn't have the type of skill Yao does, Bynum is basically a less athletic version of Dwight Howard and Amare.

And you said that Kaman and Amare got abused by Bynum, then how come right now Amare and Kaman are putting up better numbers, and most likely close to all star selections...

Yao is more skilled, is about 7-8 inches taller, and has made a name for himself among NBA big men. Bynum will be a 20 and 10 player, but everyone is trying to say here that Yao just has more skill, and Bynum well looks like a player that will ultimately wash up after his athletic form fades away.

Bynum Vs Amare: Matchup 1:

Amare 7 points, 1 rebound, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 TO, 2/10 FG, 3/3 FT
Bynum 14 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 TO 7/10 FG

Bynum Vs Amare Matchup 2:

Amare- 19 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks, 1 TO, 6/11 FG, 7/10 FT
Bynum - 28 points 12 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, 3 TOs, 11/13 FG, 6/8 FT

And this gem.
"Bynum well looks like a player that will ultimately wash up after his athletic form fades away"

Oh dear.
Please watch Bynum play.
Then come back here and admit you're completely, completely wrong.

And Yao has more skill? His height has NOTHING to do with it? :roll:

Then you obviously watch Yao play blindfold. His game is all about skill, look at players like Manute Bol, 7'8 but also was horrible offensively. Yao has a touch from inside and outside the paint. Bynum is just like a David Lee garbage man type player with a lot of athleticism, Bynum likes to hang out on by the rim mainly.

And YES Curry offensively is better then Bynum currently.
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#127 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:41 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes potential is uncertain. Which is why it is incredibly annoying hearing Bynum haters saying things like.

"Bynum will never be half the player Yao is" (he already is more than half)

"Bynum may be good one day" (he is already good)

"Bynum's ceiling is around 20/10, but no more"

So Laker fans are homers because we say he has a super high potential? But everyone else gets a free pass cause they KNOW what is going to happen? Give me a break.

He is NOT half the player Yao currently is, Bynum cannot handle to take care of a team without Kobe, thats not my opinion thats a fact. Yao is better offensively, defensively, and is one of the best passing big man in the league, but Bynum is a better rebounder, thats all, your not going to budge your own opinion and thats fine because your being a homer, and using NOTHING but stats as to prove your analysis.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#128 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:47 pm

SabasRevenge! wrote:1. Comparing Bynum's FG% to Yao's doesn't mean that Bynum is a more effective offensive player or a better shooter. Bynum's FG% is due largely to him being an above average offensive rebounder who hangs out around the basket and hasn't had to play starter minutes. He gets a lot of buckets on putbacks and dunks - very high percentage shots. Yao, on the other hand, is a very capable scorer in the paint with an array of moves. He's can also take his man away from the bucket with his range. Yao takes many more shots than Bynum and is expected to be the number one option on a team without McGrady and is a 1a or 1b with McGrady. Bynum is... not a number 1 option and defenses aren't keying on him. Yao is flat our a much better offensive player. I can't even understand the comparisons on that end of the floor by someone who has ever watched Yao in action. He does some pretty amazing things for a guy who's 7'6".

2. The comparison of their head to head matchups this season looks pretty telling.

3. The Rockets defensive numbers with Yao are also very telling; that poster made an excellent point about Yao's defense. Some people have an obsession with individual numbers, but IMO a team's overall effectiveness with that player on the floor is much more important.

4. I agree with a previous poster: Yao on the Lakers with Kobe is immediate championship contender (perhaps favorite) material. I don't think many would disagree with that. Bynum on the Rockets, especially with McGrady hurt is high lottery. If I'm Kupchak, I trade Bynum and almost whatever the hell else the Rockets want for Yao, not that Houston would do it.

5. Andrew Bynum is 20 years old. Isn't it premature to be comparing him to a top 2 or maybe 3 center? I know homers tend to overvalue their players and believe their man will be the next Shaq with a skyhook and Russell-like defense, but it ain't happening. It's been a good month for Andrew but lets not get carried away here.

Laker homers and Bynum fans need to read this.
SDChargers#1
Starter

Post#129 » by SDChargers#1 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:13 pm

He is NOT half the player Yao currently is, Bynum cannot handle to take care of a team without Kobe, thats not my opinion thats a fact. Yao is better offensively, defensively, and is one of the best passing big man in the league, but Bynum is a better rebounder, thats all, your not going to budge your own opinion and thats fine because your being a homer, and using NOTHING but stats as to prove your analysis.

Fact? Last time I checked Kobe hasn't gotten injured this season and Bynum hasn't had a chance to show whether he can carry the load.

Yao rebounds the SAME as Bynum (not HALF but the SAME)
Yao blocks the SAME as Bynum (not HALF but the SAME)
Yao's FG% is LESS than Bynum
Yao's FT% is GREATER than Bynum

You are absolutely right that Yao is better shooting the ball. Outside of maybe Dirk he is probably the best shooting big man in the game.

Bynum, however, has already SURPASSED Yao when it comes to finishing around the basket. Which is more valuable is up for debate. It is very similar to the whole Shaq vs Hakeem argument. Yea Hakeem had way more skill than Shaq ever had, but Shaq was a monster finisher, something Hakeem could never hope to match.

I feel it is the same with Bynum and Yao. Yao is better at Jumpers and Shooting, but Bynum is better at dunking, put backs, and just power play.

You need to look up the definition of HALF. Cause right now Bynum is doing EVERYTHING that Yao does except for handling the 1st option scoring load. If that makes you think that Yao is 3x better than Bynum or whatever arbitrary number that you want to throw out there but can't quantify at all then be my guest.

The fact is that by next year Bynum will be the true #2 option on the Lakers and probably putting up close to 20 ppg. I'm gonna love hearing all the Bynum haters excuses then.
Baller 24
RealGM

Post#130 » by Baller 24 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 9:24 pm

[quote="SDChargers#1"][/quote]

Yes I completely agree that he is the better athletic player around the basket, but thats how he gets the points. And Bynum is not Shaq's size which will hurt him in the future. Dwight Howard is also the same way, same with Amare, both are around the basket finishers. But the problem is your using stats to define Bynum is "half" the player Yao is. Yao has a lot more options on the offensive end. Yao uses the pick and roll soo effectively that opponents have not even been able to stop. He is a good player right now, he will be a terrific player one day with loads of athleticism, but in the end its hard to compare both because both play a completely different style of basketball.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#131 » by hayden » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:35 pm

SDChargers#1 wrote:You want to put a list together of all the things that the haters have said in this thread.

1) Bynum will one day be good.

2) Bynum only goes up against 2nd stringers

3) Bynum had more basketball experience than Yao coming into the NBA (this one is my favorite)

4) Bynum will never pass Yao (I love the use of Crystal Balls in this forum)

People forget this conversation is about POTENTIAL.
There are very few players in the league who have potential that is greater than Bynum's.

lol. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but isn't talk about potential basically using one's own "crystal ball."

I live in Los Angeles and watch pretty much every Lakers game, and trust me, you are overrating Bynum. His current play, I feel, is more the product of the amazing team chemistry and team game the Lakers have going, which makes Bynum's game a lot easier. Did you watch him when the team was struggling earlier this year? He looked lost out there.

But don't get me wrong Bynum has many things going for him: his youth, athleticism, soft soft hands.. etc... but a center like Yao comes around a couple times a decade and a prospect like Bynum comes along once every draft. The potential is there for him to be a great great center, but the odds are against him.

And trust me, people who have been an advocate of Yao know what it's like to argue potential. We have been doing it since day one of his rookie season. It's not an easy battle. And even now, people still hate on Yao for whatever reason. The majority of the posters on this board have already crowned Dwight > Yao? But please. They use stats as an argument, but when Yao fans used stats and per 48 min stats the previous few seasons, everyone said stats aren't everything. It's pretty sad, but understandable. Skill is underrated in this league and athleticism is overrated. Add to that the fact that the general populace is still not accustomed and willing to give props to an asian basketball player.. and you have the intrigue that is Yao Ming.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#132 » by farzi » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:36 pm

Bynum vs Curry makes more sense.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
SDChargers#1
Starter

Post#133 » by SDChargers#1 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:51 pm

farzi wrote:Bynum vs Curry makes more sense.

HAHAHA, Bynum is so much better than Curry it aint even funny.

Curry is plain AWFUL at the following (Defense, Passing, Rebound, Blocking).

Even offense is up for debate. Bynum shoots better FG%, FT% and only has 1.7 ppg less.

The only thing that Curry has over Bynum is that he has more of an offensive repertoire than Bynum. But that doesn't come even close to making up for EVERYTHING ELSE that Bynum does better.

lol. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but isn't talk about potential basically using one's own "crystal ball."

I live in Los Angeles and watch pretty much every Lakers game, and trust me, you are overrating Bynum. His current play, I feel, is more the product of the amazing team chemistry and team game the Lakers have going, which makes Bynum's game a lot easier. Did you watch him when the team was struggling earlier this year? He looked lost out there.

But don't get me wrong Bynum has many things going for him: his youth, athleticism, soft soft hands.. etc... but a center like Yao comes around a couple times a decade and a prospect like Bynum comes along once every draft. The potential is there for him to be a great great center, but the odds are against him.

And trust me, people who have been an advocate of Yao know what it's like to argue potential. We have been doing it since day one of his rookie season. It's not an easy battle. And even now, people still hate on Yao for whatever reason. The majority of the posters on this board have already crowned Dwight > Yao? But please. They use stats as an argument, but when Yao fans used stats and per 48 min stats the previous few seasons, everyone said stats aren't everything. It's pretty sad, but understandable. Skill is underrated in this league and athleticism is overrated. Add to that the fact that the general populace is still not accustomed and willing to give props to an asian basketball player.. and you have the intrigue that is Yao Ming.

1) Potential - Yea it is using a crystal ball in a sense. But if you were to spend the time to read through the thread you would notice that Laker fans have statements like "Bynum has the potential to..." While the haters have statements like "Bynum will never do..." The difference? One says it is POSSIBLE the other is DEFINITE. That is my biggest qualm. I mentioned in my very first post that it is possible that Bynum gets injured or gets a big contract and gets lazy, etc and doesn't do anything. But at the same time he could get even better and better. My point is that it is POSSIBLE. That haters seem to think that they KNOW what is going to happen. Get it?

2) Bynum's biggest weakness throughout his NBA career has been disappearing in games. His rookie season he was pretty much invisible all the time outside of a game or two. His second year he would have good 4-5 game stretches and then disappear for 4-5 game stretches. This year Bynum has yet to disappear more than 1 game at a time (another HUGE leap for him). You said he disappeared at the beginning of the year? What? He was great. He had a bad game here and there, but overall he was absolutely fine.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#134 » by farzi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 am

SDChargers#1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
HAHAHA, Yao is so much better than Bynum it aint even funny.

Bynum is plain OVERRATED at the following (Defense, Passing, Rebound, Blocking).

Even offense is up for debate. Yao shoots better FG%, FT% and only has more ppg.
The only thing that Bynum has over Yao is that he has more homers sucking him off than Yao. But that doesn't come even close to making up for EVERYTHING ELSE that Yao does better.

I fixed that for you.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,767

Post#135 » by G35 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 am

I want to preface my post that I don't think Bynum is an elite C. He is a good role player for the Lakers.

He does provide many things that have people excited for his potential; ie soft hands that catch a variety of passes, very good rebounder, lots of length, has decent passing ability and has shown he can make some post moves. That's about the extent of what he has shown.

What I think a lot of the Bynum detractors are missing is the level of improvement from last year to this year. Last year he was a foul magent (some games still is) and his conditioning wasn't up to par. Kobe wanted to trade him for Kidd.

Now who would trade Bynum for Kidd. No one that I've seen. In fact I have seen at least 5 articles from major sports sites stating that Mitch Kupchak is being vindicated in not trading Bynum.

Now when you won't trade a 20 year old player who avg'd less than 8ppg and less than 6 reb's the previous year that says something about the improvement Bynum has shown.

I keep hearing that maybe in 5 years Bynum might be Yao's equal but that's far sighted. Yao has always had a conditioning problem, a toughness issue and being injured a lot. He also isn't that great a rebounder or shot blocker for someone with his height and ability. In context of other great big men in the league now.

Yao is a good player but I don't think he needs to show some improvement himself. He's 27 years old in his prime and right now he's avg'g 21ppg on less than 50% shooting and barely double digit reb's........
I'm so tired of the typical......
MnM_McgradyMing
Senior

Post#136 » by MnM_McgradyMing » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:24 am

G35 wrote:I keep hearing that maybe in 5 years Bynum might be Yao's equal but that's far sighted. Yao has always had a conditioning problem, a toughness issue and being injured a lot. He also isn't that great a rebounder or shot blocker for someone with his height and ability. In context of other great big men in the league now.

I didnt wanna participate in this thread much but the things u said above were wrong. He is averaging 37-38mpg, no conditioning problems there, actually contrary to popular belief, yao is very tough and works very hard and consistently every day. Yao sometimes plays soft, but he is tough and persists through hard timest As for the rebounding, well which over 7'3+ player has been a better rebounder than yao? Injuries are a concern so i hope there wont be more haunting yao in the future.
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer

Post#137 » by rockybalboa11 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 am

SDChargers#1 wrote:
Yea Yao is a much better FT shooter, but Bynum is MUCH better from the floor,i so I think that would be a moot point. And for those who are about to say..."well Yao shoots more outside shots." Well good for him. I would rather have a guy who dominates the post than the perimeter EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

lol, the guy catches alley oops and dunks off offensive rebounds

yao battles double & triple teams every game

he is actually looked to on offense

and the entire opposing team keys in on him
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#138 » by Showtime:Part2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 am

SabasRevenge! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

he's a top 3 center now: 1) dwight 2) yao 3) bynum. so yes, top 2 is feasible, if not likely.
teamny1
Bench Warmer

Post#139 » by teamny1 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 am

Agreed especially if you pretend that Camby, Kaman, and Amare don't exist in this world.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#140 » by Showtime:Part2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:57 am

teamny1 wrote:Agreed especially if you pretend that Camby, Kaman, and Amare don't exist in this world.

bynum>camby and i'm not even going to waste my time arguing that.
kaman's numbers are inflated because everyone else on that team sucks. and he doesn't win. if you expect him to put up these sort of stats on a top 10 team, you're nuts. his stats are better than duncan's, but is he better? as far as amare, bynum dominated amare in their last matchup and amare is not much of a factor for the suns this season. just ask suns fans.

Return to Player Comparisons