ImageImageImage

Celtics Salary and Tax Talk

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Froob, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 7,229

Re: Celtics Salary and Tax Talk 

Post#21 » by cl2117 » Yesterday 11:01 am

I really hope we ride this thing until the wheels fall off and then, and only then, do we start to restructure the roster with a longer term focus in mind. I appreciate that could mean ownership picks up heavy operating losses for a couple years, but having a team that would likely be championship favorites for 2-3 more years will earn them back that value and then some in capital gains terms.

People say that we don't have owners that can foot that bill in the same way Steve Ballmer can, to which I say "bull". There are a myriad of ways that these incredibly rich men can do so. The issue is that they don't want to sacrifice any of the gains they've already made in terms of overall value of the team growing since they've purchased it, which isn't the same as saying they "can't" afford the bills.

Again keep in mind they bought this team for $360 million in 2002 and are poised to sell it for probably well over $5 billion in 2024. And all along they way they generated a healthy operating profit in most seasons. The **** are gonna easily make over $4 billion on their initial investment alone.

This is by no means a situation of "can't" pay it's "won't" pay.

All that being said, assuming they do ultimately have to drop below the 2nd apron, Jrue seems like the clear odd man out to me. I think a trade where they get back 2 solid rotational role players and hope the overall depth and improvement from current core/recently added young guys, will be enough to keep them firmly as contenders while they reset the deck a bit to allow them to continue spending during the Jays' prime.

Orlando is my ideal team. WCJ plus one of their guards (Black or Anthony) for Jrue gives you a Horford heir apparent, a guard to fill out the rotation and shaves enough money off of the near future that with some other moves they can easily dip below the apron.

Assuming Horford retires by then and Springer doesn't come back:

White/ Pritchard/ Black
Brown/
Tatum/ Hauser/ Scheierman
WCJ / Watson/ Walsh
KP/ Tillman/ Queta/ Kornet

Orlando on the other side of it gets a straw that can stir their very promising drink. They've locked in their young stars on lower level max contracts, which would mean they can afford to pay Jrue until the end of his. He meshes really well with what they want to do as a distributor, shooter and lockdown defender. I think Brad might have to kick in a little something extra surprisingly enough just becuase of the kind of money on those final years for Jrue, but still think they come out the other side in pretty good shape.

Still though, gotta hope that we've got the kind of owners that aren't just going to take all their earnings and sail off into the sunset leaving us holding the bag. Spend some of that money on this team because it deserves it as do the fans (and you'll still be filthy stinking rich regardless).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#22 » by chrisab123 » Yesterday 11:39 am

Every time I hear about the sale, it makes me hope more and more than JWH never gets his hands on the Celtics. Really would not like to see Tatum suit up for the Lakers or Knicks because of money.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 6,691

Post#23 » by shackles10 » Yesterday 1:37 pm

cl2117 wrote:I really hope we ride this thing until the wheels fall off and then, and only then, do we start to restructure the roster with a longer term focus in mind. I appreciate that could mean ownership picks up heavy operating losses for a couple years, but having a team that would likely be championship favorites for 2-3 more years will earn them back that value and then some in capital gains terms.

People say that we don't have owners that can foot that bill in the same way Steve Ballmer can, to which I say "bull". There are a myriad of ways that these incredibly rich men can do so. The issue is that they don't want to sacrifice any of the gains they've already made in terms of overall value of the team growing since they've purchased it, which isn't the same as saying they "can't" afford the bills.

Again keep in mind they bought this team for $360 million in 2002 and are poised to sell it for probably well over $5 billion in 2024. And all along they way they generated a healthy operating profit in most seasons. The **** are gonna easily make over $4 billion on their initial investment alone.

This is by no means a situation of "can't" pay it's "won't" pay.

All that being said, assuming they do ultimately have to drop below the 2nd apron, Jrue seems like the clear odd man out to me. I think a trade where they get back 2 solid rotational role players and hope the overall depth and improvement from current core/recently added young guys, will be enough to keep them firmly as contenders while they reset the deck a bit to allow them to continue spending during the Jays' prime.

Orlando is my ideal team. WCJ plus one of their guards (Black or Anthony) for Jrue gives you a Horford heir apparent, a guard to fill out the rotation and shaves enough money off of the near future that with some other moves they can easily dip below the apron.

Assuming Horford retires by then and Springer doesn't come back:

White/ Pritchard/ Black
Brown/
Tatum/ Hauser/ Scheierman
WCJ / Watson/ Walsh
KP/ Tillman/ Queta/ Kornet

Orlando on the other side of it gets a straw that can stir their very promising drink. They've locked in their young stars on lower level max contracts, which would mean they can afford to pay Jrue until the end of his. He meshes really well with what they want to do as a distributor, shooter and lockdown defender. I think Brad might have to kick in a little something extra surprisingly enough just becuase of the kind of money on those final years for Jrue, but still think they come out the other side in pretty good shape.

Still though, gotta hope that we've got the kind of owners that aren't just going to take all their earnings and sail off into the sunset leaving us holding the bag. Spend some of that money on this team because it deserves it as do the fans (and you'll still be filthy stinking rich regardless).

I'm not sure Orlando want to do that and put themselves into apron situations themselves? If they move up the contender hierarchy it's going to cost them as their young players will start to expire off of their deals that are keeping them below the aprons. Then they've got to choose to either lose those guys and stay below or become more expensive to give it a chance. I think that alone will depend on how close they end up getting to a title before those decisions are made, but I don't think adding Jrue's higher salary (and it'd have to be higher than what they're giving up for it to make sense for us savings wise) would even be considered by them. Especially considering he'll be a year or two older by then.

I don't disagree on Jrue (or KP and possibly both) could be the sacrificial lamb(s), but I'm really struggling to come up with what type of team we could trade with, let alone a specific team. We could always get lucky, but it might have us attaching assets to get rid of salary and that makes this whole aspect of the CBA even more ridiculous for contenders. Not only can you no longer afford to contend, but you now have to get rid of the things that would help you rebuild (young players/draft picks).
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 18,396

Post#24 » by Hal14 » Yesterday 2:07 pm

cl2117 wrote:Orlando is my ideal team. WCJ plus one of their guards (Black or Anthony) for Jrue gives you a Horford heir apparent, a guard to fill out the rotation and shaves enough money off of the near future that with some other moves they can easily dip below the apron.

Anthony and Black are the same person. Assuming you meant Black or Suggs?

Or did you mean Anthony Black or Cole Anthony? Either of those guys would be a massive downgrade from Jrue Holiday.

And WCJ is a downgrade from Horford. That would be a bad trade for us. Doesn't seem like Horford is retiring anytime soon either.

And I don't see why Orlando would do that. Those young guards they have fit their timeline better than Jrue does. They're led by a couple of 21 year old forwards..they seem to be playing the long game..develop their young core and slowly build into a team that could possibly contend a few yrs from now (by that time Jrue will probably be retired).
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics