ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
14
16%
Traded on draft night
33
38%
Traded at deadline
1
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
18
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
22
25%
 
Total votes: 88

User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 32,791
And1: 64,656
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#501 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:08 am

This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 21,529
And1: 7,689
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#502 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter


Awesome!!!

Yeah I think we have to trade Hayward. It's clear next year he'll walk to a contender to be their sixth man.

Now if that's the Lakers or Warriors or a third party it's hard to know... but he's a use it or lose it asset. And this draft with draft picks are our best chance to get something for him instead of losing him for free like we did with Irving, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Baynes... ect.
Image
RodyTur10
Sophomore
Posts: 214
And1: 176
Joined: Oct 23, 2017
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#503 » by RodyTur10 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter


Awesome!!!

Yeah I think we have to trade Hayward. It's clear next year he'll walk to a contender to be their sixth man.

Now if that's the Lakers or Warriors or a third party it's hard to know... but he's a use it or lose it asset. And this draft with draft picks are our best chance to get something for him instead of losing him for free like we did with Irving, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Baynes... ect.


That hurts to realize we lost a complete playoff worthy line-up (Irving/Rozier/Morris/Horford/Baynes) in one summer for nothing.

The team didn't gel, but that 18/19 roster had some serious talent:

guards: Irving, Smart, Rozier
wings: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Morris
bigs: Horford, Baynes, Theis

Don't agree with you that we should want to trade Hayward. If he opts in and we can't come to an extension agreement then we have to trade him to get some value (and postpone repeater tax with two years). But I'd much rather have Hayward agreeing to a 80/4 type of extension.

Anyway if someone has to go to me it needs to be Walker. Serious knee concerns, a contract that can look really bad if his game fades due to aging, defensive liability. During the playoffs Walker was basically the 3rd option (behind Tatum and Brown) and the weakest link defensively. Is that worth 35M a year?
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 11,786
And1: 19,528
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#504 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:55 am

Read on Twitter
The greatest movie bet of all time:

"I want the Celtics to cover, I want Celtics halftime, I want Garnett points and rebounds."

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 31,137
And1: 12,793
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#505 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Yes, it would be great for the Celtics if Hayward must fish or cut bait prior to Nov. 18. Not only does he become tradeable on draft night if he opts in, but also it makes opting out and then shopping for a "Horford deal" more difficult. He has less time, and the potential suitors face more roster uncertainty.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 29,595
And1: 30,378
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#506 » by Parliament10 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Repost
Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
playa-hater
Senior
Posts: 668
And1: 649
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#507 » by playa-hater » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm

No matter what direction GH heads, it is at least a stress relief that in only 6 days we will finally know of GH opting in or not..

The not knowing and talking about it forever is killin me..
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,103
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#508 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Don't worry, there will be Hayward trade threads until the day he retires.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 21,529
And1: 7,689
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#509 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:15 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter


Awesome!!!

Yeah I think we have to trade Hayward. It's clear next year he'll walk to a contender to be their sixth man.

Now if that's the Lakers or Warriors or a third party it's hard to know... but he's a use it or lose it asset. And this draft with draft picks are our best chance to get something for him instead of losing him for free like we did with Irving, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Baynes... ect.


That hurts to realize we lost a complete playoff worthy line-up (Irving/Rozier/Morris/Horford/Baynes) in one summer for nothing.

The team didn't gel, but that 18/19 roster had some serious talent:

guards: Irving, Smart, Rozier
wings: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Morris
bigs: Horford, Baynes, Theis

Don't agree with you that we should want to trade Hayward. If he opts in and we can't come to an extension agreement then we have to trade him to get some value (and postpone repeater tax with two years). But I'd much rather have Hayward agreeing to a 80/4 type of extension.

Anyway if someone has to go to me it needs to be Walker. Serious knee concerns, a contract that can look really bad if his game fades due to aging, defensive liability. During the playoffs Walker was basically the 3rd option (behind Tatum and Brown) and the weakest link defensively. Is that worth 35M a year?


I guess to my eyes unless Hayward is getting 6th man level money, and contract for him beyond next year is a blunder.

I have 0 faith in that body not losing a step, and losing it much faster than normal after the catastrophic tramau it went through and the complete lack of ability for it to recover in athelticism.

It's hard to imagine after watching him for 4 years, but in Utah one of Hayward's main scoring threats was off ball as an alley oop target. He had serious hops, not Jaylen Brown level but def better than say a Tatum level. It was what made him such a checkmate on the ball... to strong for his man... to athletic to be stopped at the rim by the second defender. And with the skill to dominate with those physical gifts.
Image
User avatar
_s_t_u_r_t_
Starter
Posts: 2,448
And1: 673
Joined: Jun 13, 2007
     

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#510 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:08 am

Interesting thread.

Don't hate me, but you know this is only rational...

viewtopic.php?p=86072082#p86072082
_____________________________________________
_____________________________________________
Image
Image
themoneyteam2
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 5,986
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#511 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 am

I wonder if the lower escrow amount than expected would entice Hayward to opt-in?
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Starter
Posts: 2,033
And1: 1,929
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#512 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:05 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:I wonder if the lower escrow amount than expected would entice Hayward to opt-in?

He wont be able to re-coup that money on a longer term deal. With his bum ankle/s and broken down body. He’d be lucky to get an MLE level contract.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
Posts: 10,990
And1: 15,040
Joined: Jan 27, 2012
     

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#513 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:44 pm

reload141 wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I was thinking more reload, ddb, and lbf. ddb giving play-by-play on the KG trade in real time in 2007 was incredible.

My Trump/election stuff not bad, though. Probably the first on the internet to relay that he had COVID.

Ayeeeeee I'm semi-retired now but I'll be around more this season.


Image

This needs more recognition. Always been one of the best from the day I signed up here.

Cheers brother
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 11,786
And1: 19,528
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#514 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Forgot to post this a few days ago:

Read on Twitter


Though Danny said he thinks options will be after the draft
The greatest movie bet of all time:

"I want the Celtics to cover, I want Celtics halftime, I want Garnett points and rebounds."

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,399
And1: 28,117
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#515 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 pm

LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward
User avatar
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
Posts: 16,009
And1: 9,753
Joined: Mar 04, 2010
Location: In a van down by the river.
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#516 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:27 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward


Going to be tough to be contenders when Hayward misses 50% of the games because of injuries (of course knowing the Celtics luck he'll be a 20/10/5 guy, play 72 games and make the all-star team)
*Insert witty signature here.*
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,399
And1: 28,117
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#517 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward


Going to be tough to be contenders when Hayward misses 50% of the games because of injuries (of course knowing the Celtics luck he'll be a 20/10/5 guy, play 72 games and make the all-star team)


Or when your PG defends like prime IT. They’ll be the 2016 Celtics. Fun team. Would need EVERYTHING to break right to even make the ECFs.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 32,791
And1: 64,656
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#518 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
Posts: 16,009
And1: 9,753
Joined: Mar 04, 2010
Location: In a van down by the river.
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#519 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:31 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter


Will he last an entire season or will he have some fluke thumb injury and miss half the season?
*Insert witty signature here.*
User avatar
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
Posts: 14,085
And1: 4,948
Joined: Jul 09, 2003
Location: Town

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#520 » by FakeScreenName123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
The Corey's wrote:I'm all for moving Hayward but losing him for nothing in an opt out would be a devastating blow to the cap.


Opt-out, and resign at 3y/80-90m.

Dump Kanter if you need to save more cap than that.



is tht what you would do or is that a presenting option

Return to Boston Celtics