ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
16%
Traded on draft night
38%
Traded at deadline
1%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
20%
Should sign a team friendly extension
25%

Total votes: 88

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#501 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:08 am

This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#502 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:59 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter

Awesome!!!

Yeah I think we have to trade Hayward. It's clear next year he'll walk to a contender to be their sixth man.

Now if that's the Lakers or Warriors or a third party it's hard to know... but he's a use it or lose it asset. And this draft with draft picks are our best chance to get something for him instead of losing him for free like we did with Irving, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Baynes... ect.
RodyTur10
Junior
And1: 360

Post#503 » by RodyTur10 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:This coming week is gonna be interesting. Hayward could be gone by draft night. Or he could opt out and leave us with nothing lol.
Read on Twitter

Awesome!!!

Yeah I think we have to trade Hayward. It's clear next year he'll walk to a contender to be their sixth man.

Now if that's the Lakers or Warriors or a third party it's hard to know... but he's a use it or lose it asset. And this draft with draft picks are our best chance to get something for him instead of losing him for free like we did with Irving, Horford, Rozier, Marcus Morris, Baynes... ect.

That hurts to realize we lost a complete playoff worthy line-up (Irving/Rozier/Morris/Horford/Baynes) in one summer for nothing.

The team didn't gel, but that 18/19 roster had some serious talent:

guards: Irving, Smart, Rozier
wings: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Morris
bigs: Horford, Baynes, Theis

Don't agree with you that we should want to trade Hayward. If he opts in and we can't come to an extension agreement then we have to trade him to get some value (and postpone repeater tax with two years). But I'd much rather have Hayward agreeing to a 80/4 type of extension.

Anyway if someone has to go to me it needs to be Walker. Serious knee concerns, a contract that can look really bad if his game fades due to aging, defensive liability. During the playoffs Walker was basically the 3rd option (behind Tatum and Brown) and the weakest link defensively. Is that worth 35M a year?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#504 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:55 am

Read on Twitter
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#505 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Yes, it would be great for the Celtics if Hayward must fish or cut bait prior to Nov. 18. Not only does he become tradeable on draft night if he opts in, but also it makes opting out and then shopping for a "Horford deal" more difficult. He has less time, and the potential suitors face more roster uncertainty.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,940

Post#506 » by Parliament10 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:21 pm

Repost
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,532

Post#507 » by playa-hater » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:38 pm

No matter what direction GH heads, it is at least a stress relief that in only 6 days we will finally know of GH opting in or not..

The not knowing and talking about it forever is killin me..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#508 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Don't worry, there will be Hayward trade threads until the day he retires.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#509 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:15 pm

RodyTur10 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Awesome!!!

That hurts to realize we lost a complete playoff worthy line-up (Irving/Rozier/Morris/Horford/Baynes) in one summer for nothing.

The team didn't gel, but that 18/19 roster had some serious talent:

guards: Irving, Smart, Rozier
wings: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Morris
bigs: Horford, Baynes, Theis

Don't agree with you that we should want to trade Hayward. If he opts in and we can't come to an extension agreement then we have to trade him to get some value (and postpone repeater tax with two years). But I'd much rather have Hayward agreeing to a 80/4 type of extension.

Anyway if someone has to go to me it needs to be Walker. Serious knee concerns, a contract that can look really bad if his game fades due to aging, defensive liability. During the playoffs Walker was basically the 3rd option (behind Tatum and Brown) and the weakest link defensively. Is that worth 35M a year?

I guess to my eyes unless Hayward is getting 6th man level money, and contract for him beyond next year is a blunder.

I have 0 faith in that body not losing a step, and losing it much faster than normal after the catastrophic tramau it went through and the complete lack of ability for it to recover in athelticism.

It's hard to imagine after watching him for 4 years, but in Utah one of Hayward's main scoring threats was off ball as an alley oop target. He had serious hops, not Jaylen Brown level but def better than say a Tatum level. It was what made him such a checkmate on the ball... to strong for his man... to athletic to be stopped at the rim by the second defender. And with the skill to dominate with those physical gifts.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#510 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:08 am

Interesting thread.

Don't hate me, but you know this is only rational...

viewtopic.php?p=86072082#p86072082
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#511 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 am

I wonder if the lower escrow amount than expected would entice Hayward to opt-in?
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#512 » by BillTheGOAT » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:05 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:I wonder if the lower escrow amount than expected would entice Hayward to opt-in?

He wont be able to re-coup that money on a longer term deal. With his bum ankle/s and broken down body. He’d be lucky to get an MLE level contract.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#513 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:44 pm

reload141 wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I was thinking more reload, ddb, and lbf. ddb giving play-by-play on the KG trade in real time in 2007 was incredible.

My Trump/election stuff not bad, though. Probably the first on the internet to relay that he had COVID.

Ayeeeeee I'm semi-retired now but I'll be around more this season.

This needs more recognition. Always been one of the best from the day I signed up here.

Cheers brother
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#514 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Forgot to post this a few days ago:

Read on Twitter

Though Danny said he thinks options will be after the draft
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#515 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 pm

LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,688

Post#516 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:27 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward

Going to be tough to be contenders when Hayward misses 50% of the games because of injuries (of course knowing the Celtics luck he'll be a 20/10/5 guy, play 72 games and make the all-star team)
*Insert witty signature here.*
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#517 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:LOL at that Hawks fan I’m not going to quote thinking they become contenders and our competitors if they add Hayward

Going to be tough to be contenders when Hayward misses 50% of the games because of injuries (of course knowing the Celtics luck he'll be a 20/10/5 guy, play 72 games and make the all-star team)

Or when your PG defends like prime IT. They’ll be the 2016 Celtics. Fun team. Would need EVERYTHING to break right to even make the ECFs.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#518 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,688

Post#519 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:31 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Will he last an entire season or will he have some fluke thumb injury and miss half the season?
*Insert witty signature here.*
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#520 » by FakeScreenName123 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
The Corey's wrote:I'm all for moving Hayward but losing him for nothing in an opt out would be a devastating blow to the cap.

Opt-out, and resign at 3y/80-90m.

Dump Kanter if you need to save more cap than that.

is tht what you would do or is that a presenting option

Return to Boston Celtics