ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,844
And1: 1,092
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#241 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:37 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Sounding more and more like Enes will opt out and save us a FRP in the process


Like I said, even if Enes can only get the same money elsewhere he can probably get a lot more PT elsewhere. Which will set him up for a longer-term deal next offseason.

:wave: :wave:
MagicBagley18
Head Coach
Posts: 7,101
And1: 8,735
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#242 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
KGboss wrote:What about DeMarcus Cousins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.


We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.



I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron
Triple7
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,815
And1: 2,561
Joined: Aug 23, 2018
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#243 » by Triple7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:22 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
KGboss wrote:What about DeMarcus Cousins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.


We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.


I wanted Dwight as well, worth the risk for the minimum. But a lot of guys here said he would ruin chemistry, and that we don’t need him because we have Theis :lol: He would have helped us a lot in the playoffs especially his shot blocking skills.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#244 » by Parliament10 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

JHTruth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Read on Twitter


Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Sounding more and more like Enes will opt out and save us a FRP in the process


Like I said, even if Enes can only get the same money elsewhere he can probably get a lot more PT elsewhere. Which will set him up for a longer-term deal next offseason.

:wave: :wave:

Yeah. I think that Kanter will try the Market, and pick where he's going to play, and likely get more playing time.


MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.


We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.



I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron

Agreed. Howard needs a Lebron-type to keep him in check. Otherwise, he's a Whiner; not a Winner.
Cousins is just trouble. Always has been.

Pass on both headaches.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
Triple7
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,815
And1: 2,561
Joined: Aug 23, 2018
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#245 » by Triple7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.


We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.



I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron


Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 8,859
And1: 5,283
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#246 » by chrisab123 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Not that this team will do anything to shake things up because they are complacent but they need a veteran coach to help Stevens. Bring in Pringles to run the offense or someone to help him on the defensive end. Enough with the Mid Major assistant coaches please.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,490
And1: 9,133
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#247 » by djFan71 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Sounding more and more like Enes will opt out and save us a FRP in the process

Or.... if he wants to go back there, he can opt in and get us a 2nd back from POR that I wanted. :)
They get Kanter, but don't have to use an exception or have to sign him for multiple years. We get a late 2nd for our facilitation efforts. Enes gets to be a FA in a better market next offseason.

But, yeah, I agree most likely is he just opts out.
Ernest
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 486
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#248 » by Ernest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Triple7 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.



I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron


Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.


We probably couldn't have got them. We can tell ourselves we don't want this guy or that guy, but anyone with talent is worth a min contract- you can just cut them if they make any problems. Hopefully, we are a better landing spot for some vets now. We have the talent. If they just want a ring go to LAL or maybe GSW. But if they want a shot at a bigger role, we could be that. Howard is a really interesting one. I'm sure he's happy he got a ring but playing for all of a minute of garbage time in the final game? Yeah, I bet he'd be willing to go somewhere else now. I don't think he'd expect another team to run much through him, but rather give him a more consistant role. We could do that.
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 21,855
And1: 29,429
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
     

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#249 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Lol. You guys really want Cousins? Aren't you guys the same ones who get upset with Stevens for being too nice? For not telling Smart to stop shooting? What do you think Cousins will end up doing the moment he gets subbed out for Theis in the 4th quarter? Stevens doesn't have the temperament to coach a head case like Cousins.
MagicBagley18
Head Coach
Posts: 7,101
And1: 8,735
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#250 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Triple7 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.



I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron


Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.



Worth the risk of having a malcontent In the locker room after the train wreck of 2019? No thanks. Last year was all about making the game fun and having a great locker room which would allow Tatum and brown to grow like they did.

There was no reason to take a risk on either coming off the horrible year of kyrie and underachieving. This year? I could see more of a risk but again if you’re gonna take a risk- do it on an injury prone player not a character issue guy and def not on a player who is BOTH
Ernest
Senior
Posts: 614
And1: 486
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#251 » by Ernest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?
snowman
Rookie
Posts: 1,021
And1: 712
Joined: Jun 08, 2009
     

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#252 » by snowman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?


No, because he has been hurt so much he has been unable to play.
MagicBagley18
Head Coach
Posts: 7,101
And1: 8,735
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#253 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?


Actually they are very relatable considering the next season after 2019 was this past one and he was available again and repped. Y Jeff Schwartz and we needed a big- so it’s very relatable as to why we didn’t have interest.

It would also be relatable again as I said he has a history of locker room problems and now Injury problems and btw he’s gonna be a laker again so it’s totally a moot point
User avatar
Edug27
RealGM
Posts: 10,757
And1: 7,122
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
   

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#254 » by Edug27 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Someone wake me when Giannas hits the trade block, so I can spam y’all with my Jaylen + Hayward + Smart + Picks packages.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,246
And1: 60,268
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#255 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm

How about Roy Hibbert AND Nikola Pekovic! WE NEED SIZE!
User avatar
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
Posts: 23,979
And1: 14,263
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Location: Rio De Janeiro, Brasil...
     

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#256 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Lol. You guys really want Cousins? Aren't you guys the same ones who get upset with Stevens for being too nice? For not telling Smart to stop shooting? What do you think Cousins will end up doing the moment he gets subbed out for Theis in the 4th quarter? Stevens doesn't have the temperament to coach a head case like Cousins.



Don't want him, but If you offered me him or Poirier, I'd probably take him. Obviously only if he was medically cleared.

Will agree big time on the Brad part though. Brad's lack of sack really sucks.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,246
And1: 60,268
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#257 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 am

While I don't necessarily disagree that Stevens may be too timid to handle difficult personalities like Boogie, Dwight, etc., I think having a smooth, harmonious locker room is more dependent on the leader among the players than the coaches. I believe role players/non-stars fall in line behind their superstar. Just see KG, Lebron, Kobe, Curry, Dame, etc. The list goes on. I mean even Butler reportedly ran Whiteside out of town. A team needs a strong leader in the locker room to survive guys like Howard, Cousins, Beasley, JR Smith, Lance, etc. People can argue Smart is that for us, but he's not that good on the court to earn everyone's respect off the court. Kyrie was just a bad leader for us. Our star vets Hayward, Horford, and Kemba are too laid back and are more lead-by-example types. I don't think they're the type who will keep those naughty boys in line by confronting them. Not sure if I got my meaning across?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 16,739
And1: 26,591
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#258 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 am

Rondo opted out. Time to start the annual ‘BRING RONDO HOME’ movement.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 16,739
And1: 26,591
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#259 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 am

Also:

Read on Twitter


Wouldnt hate it if we tried to bring MDA on to be our offensive coordinator next year. Think he could really help take our O to the next level
reload141
General Manager
Posts: 8,910
And1: 16,252
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
       

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#260 » by reload141 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Rondo opted out. Time to start the annual ‘BRING RONDO HOME’ movement.


Please.

Return to Boston Celtics