ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#241 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:37 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Sounding more and more like Enes will opt out and save us a FRP in the process

Like I said, even if Enes can only get the same money elsewhere he can probably get a lot more PT elsewhere. Which will set him up for a longer-term deal next offseason.

:wave: :wave:
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#242 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:16 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
KGboss wrote:What about DeMarcus Cousins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.

We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.

I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#243 » by Triple7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:22 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
KGboss wrote:What about DeMarcus Cousins?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What about "no"? He looked awful coming back from a torn achilles, but adding a torn ACL probably destroys what little athleticism he had left. If he was a good guy, it would be worth the gamble. But he isn't a good guy.

We just had Vincent Poirier eat a roster spot all year to contribute as much as me and you did. If Cousins can run up and down the court for 15 minutes, I'd give it a go for a vet min deal. Give him half a season to prove himself and if he sucks or acts up, cut his ass. I feel like we need to take some risks with these problematic vet guys at some point. Wanted Dwight last year and if we signed him we probably would have made the finals.

I wanted Dwight as well, worth the risk for the minimum. But a lot of guys here said he would ruin chemistry, and that we don’t need him because we have Theis :lol: He would have helped us a lot in the playoffs especially his shot blocking skills.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#244 » by Parliament10 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:23 pm

JHTruth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Like I said, even if Enes can only get the same money elsewhere he can probably get a lot more PT elsewhere. Which will set him up for a longer-term deal next offseason.

:wave: :wave:

Yeah. I think that Kanter will try the Market, and pick where he's going to play, and likely get more playing time.

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

I agree at some point you need to roll the dice....don’t think it’s on DeMarcus cousins nor do I think Dwight would work here or anywhere else where they didn’t have a lebron

Agreed. Howard needs a Lebron-type to keep him in check. Otherwise, he's a Whiner; not a Winner.
Cousins is just trouble. Always has been.

Pass on both headaches.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#245 » by Triple7 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:25 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Post#246 » by chrisab123 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Not that this team will do anything to shake things up because they are complacent but they need a veteran coach to help Stevens. Bring in Pringles to run the offense or someone to help him on the defensive end. Enough with the Mid Major assistant coaches please.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#247 » by djFan71 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:39 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Or.... if he wants to go back there, he can opt in and get us a 2nd back from POR that I wanted. :)
They get Kanter, but don't have to use an exception or have to sign him for multiple years. We get a late 2nd for our facilitation efforts. Enes gets to be a FA in a better market next offseason.

But, yeah, I agree most likely is he just opts out.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#248 » by Ernest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Triple7 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Well if it’s for the minimum, then it would had been worth the risk. I don’t think Danny thought we could really contend last season.

We probably couldn't have got them. We can tell ourselves we don't want this guy or that guy, but anyone with talent is worth a min contract- you can just cut them if they make any problems. Hopefully, we are a better landing spot for some vets now. We have the talent. If they just want a ring go to LAL or maybe GSW. But if they want a shot at a bigger role, we could be that. Howard is a really interesting one. I'm sure he's happy he got a ring but playing for all of a minute of garbage time in the final game? Yeah, I bet he'd be willing to go somewhere else now. I don't think he'd expect another team to run much through him, but rather give him a more consistant role. We could do that.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#249 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Lol. You guys really want Cousins? Aren't you guys the same ones who get upset with Stevens for being too nice? For not telling Smart to stop shooting? What do you think Cousins will end up doing the moment he gets subbed out for Theis in the 4th quarter? Stevens doesn't have the temperament to coach a head case like Cousins.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#250 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 pm

Triple7 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Worth the risk of having a malcontent In the locker room after the train wreck of 2019? No thanks. Last year was all about making the game fun and having a great locker room which would allow Tatum and brown to grow like they did.

There was no reason to take a risk on either coming off the horrible year of kyrie and underachieving. This year? I could see more of a risk but again if you’re gonna take a risk- do it on an injury prone player not a character issue guy and def not on a player who is BOTH
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#251 » by Ernest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:51 pm

Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,508

Post#252 » by snowman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:51 pm

Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?

No, because he has been hurt so much he has been unable to play.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#253 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:02 pm

Ernest wrote:Signing a vet min contract to a former star and the 2019 season are really not relatable. Cousins- or anyone we sign- could easily be cut. I haven't really followed Cousins, has he been a coaching problem after sac?

Actually they are very relatable considering the next season after 2019 was this past one and he was available again and repped. Y Jeff Schwartz and we needed a big- so it’s very relatable as to why we didn’t have interest.

It would also be relatable again as I said he has a history of locker room problems and now Injury problems and btw he’s gonna be a laker again so it’s totally a moot point
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#254 » by Edug27 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Someone wake me when Giannas hits the trade block, so I can spam y’all with my Jaylen + Hayward + Smart + Picks packages.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#255 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:03 pm

How about Roy Hibbert AND Nikola Pekovic! WE NEED SIZE!
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,014

Post#256 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:08 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Lol. You guys really want Cousins? Aren't you guys the same ones who get upset with Stevens for being too nice? For not telling Smart to stop shooting? What do you think Cousins will end up doing the moment he gets subbed out for Theis in the 4th quarter? Stevens doesn't have the temperament to coach a head case like Cousins.

Don't want him, but If you offered me him or Poirier, I'd probably take him. Obviously only if he was medically cleared.

Will agree big time on the Brad part though. Brad's lack of sack really sucks.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#257 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:24 am

While I don't necessarily disagree that Stevens may be too timid to handle difficult personalities like Boogie, Dwight, etc., I think having a smooth, harmonious locker room is more dependent on the leader among the players than the coaches. I believe role players/non-stars fall in line behind their superstar. Just see KG, Lebron, Kobe, Curry, Dame, etc. The list goes on. I mean even Butler reportedly ran Whiteside out of town. A team needs a strong leader in the locker room to survive guys like Howard, Cousins, Beasley, JR Smith, Lance, etc. People can argue Smart is that for us, but he's not that good on the court to earn everyone's respect off the court. Kyrie was just a bad leader for us. Our star vets Hayward, Horford, and Kemba are too laid back and are more lead-by-example types. I don't think they're the type who will keep those naughty boys in line by confronting them. Not sure if I got my meaning across?
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#258 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 am

Rondo opted out. Time to start the annual ‘BRING RONDO HOME’ movement.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#259 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 am

Also:

Read on Twitter

Wouldnt hate it if we tried to bring MDA on to be our offensive coordinator next year. Think he could really help take our O to the next level
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,236

Post#260 » by reload141 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:29 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Rondo opted out. Time to start the annual ‘BRING RONDO HOME’ movement.

Please.

Return to Boston Celtics