ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

Wes-J
Analyst
Posts: 3,262
And1: 3,055
Joined: Feb 19, 2012
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#621 » by Wes-J » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:00 am

Nesmith can barely walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Most awkward player I've ever seen.
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 14,893
And1: 19,348
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#622 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Seems like Brad just may never get over Nesmith slapping him in front of the whole team and calling him "a little bitch".
with buckners and playa-hater on the TACKO FALL FAN CLUB -- we GO BIG or I guess, go home. But we prefer to GO BIG!
playa-hater
Veteran
Posts: 2,746
And1: 2,705
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#623 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:18 pm

31to6 wrote:Seems like Brad just may never get over Nesmith slapping him in front of the whole team and calling him "a little bitch".


:D :D :D :D :D :D god I wish I could have seen this.. in any reality.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 138
Joined: Mar 02, 2021
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#624 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:27 pm

Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.
playa-hater
Veteran
Posts: 2,746
And1: 2,705
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#625 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:35 pm

LoquaciousLarry wrote:Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.


I wanted Nesmith, but wanted S Bey a bit more. He is a bigger player with a real seasoned game.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 138
Joined: Mar 02, 2021
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#626 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:37 pm

playa-hater wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.


I wanted Nesmith, but wanted S Bey a bit more. He is a bigger player with a real seasoned game.


Bey has looked outstanding, he really killed us this year
cloverleaf
Head Coach
Posts: 7,272
And1: 4,527
Joined: Feb 10, 2007

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#627 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:26 pm

Wes-J wrote:Nesmith can barely walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Most awkward player I've ever seen.


I haven't seen enough to know whether he's just a spooked rook who didn't have enough training camp and preseason time. That was exactly Avery Bradley's situation, of course.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,422
And1: 3,315
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#628 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:01 am

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.
sportfan6197
Senior
Posts: 624
And1: 296
Joined: Dec 18, 2015

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#629 » by sportfan6197 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:07 am

LoquaciousLarry wrote:Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.


Jalen Smith was a massive reach back then and even more so now. what a strange choice for someone to trade up for to reach on

Haliburton definitely would have been nice. Sacramento didn't need him either, think they definitely would move down 2 spots for an extra first.

But agreed with poster above, passing on Bey was really silly. Nova has been producing excellent high IQ players as well, DiVicenzo, Brogdon, Brunson, Pashall, Bridges, Hart,
CelticsLV
Head Coach
Posts: 6,656
And1: 6,580
Joined: Jan 08, 2016
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#630 » by CelticsLV » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:45 am

Gomes3PC wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.


Pretty much my scouting report. Though, I wouldn't call it high bust potential, rather a very low ceiling to begin with. His college tape was like 90% of him just knocking down 3s. And just like you said, no ball handling skills with all the problems that arise from it. We are not even talking about a raw 18/19 year old prospect, but a 21 year old with very little skills to begin with. The guy will be out of the NBA very quickly if he doesn't start to shoot around 40% from 3. I was personally looking at some higher ceiling players like Hampton/Pokusevski. There were plenty of instant role player types around 30th pick. Wasn't expecting for Bane to drop so low and even more surprised we didn't pick him. I guess FO though Nesmith's shooting would translate and they liked his size.
thebirdman
General Manager
Posts: 8,144
And1: 1,602
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
Location: Slovenia
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#631 » by thebirdman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:41 am

What is so special about Bey? He has shot it pretty well from 3 but not outstanding (.379) and from free throw line at a very low clip. Everything else is pretty underwhelming for a guy getting quite a lot of minutes on a terrible team.

If you put Nesmith on that DET team, he would average 10 points...

I like Nesmith potential. He is extremely active, has a knack for rebounds, good length but he just needs minutes…too bad we did not have G-league team this year…He will be much better next season, IMO. I also think the way we are using him (standing in the corner) isn`t really his game. He is more Rip or Allen kind of shooter coming of screens and curls…
Elrod is Back
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,990
And1: 2,083
Joined: May 10, 2010
       

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#632 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:35 pm

Nesmith has to shoot well. If he does, it was a great pick. If he doesn't, its a bust. Everything else we have seen is better than advertised.He is no RJ Hunter stranding in the corner and firing up bricks and airballs.
cl2117
Head Coach
Posts: 6,685
And1: 4,931
Joined: Jun 14, 2013
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#633 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am

I liked the pick at the time, but can't pretend it's not been disappointing. I still have hope, but his year is done now that Fournier is on board.

He's definitely got high bust potential. His name was built off of an incredibly small sample size and not a ton else. His form is there though, which gives me comfort.

The most worrying thing for me is his inability to stay on his feet. He's always taking really hard spills and flying all over the place unnecessarily. Love the hustle, but it's just terrible body control. It's like he never learned how to fall. It just really sticks out to me as something different with him that I've rarely seen before. I like his shooting mechanics and he's smooth pulling up off screens, but the rest of the time he's a bit of a liability.

The rest of his game has been better than advertised, but it's mostly built around hustle rather than skill and as most have said it'll come down to whether he can shoot the ball consistently from 3. If he's 40%+ from 3 he'll be incredibly valuable to stick in the corner.

I'm giving the kid a break though. No practices really, limited game time, weird team dynamic, plus his sophomore season was cut short. Redshirt year and hope next year is better.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 9,550
And1: 11,420
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#634 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 am

cl2117 wrote:I liked the pick at the time, but can't pretend it's not been disappointing. I still have hope, but his year is done now that Fournier is on board.

He's definitely got high bust potential. His name was built off of an incredibly small sample size and not a ton else. His form is there though, which gives me comfort.

The most worrying thing for me is his inability to stay on his feet. He's always taking really hard spills and flying all over the place unnecessarily. Love the hustle, but it's just terrible body control. It's like he never learned how to fall. It just really sticks out to me as something different with him that I've rarely seen before. I like his shooting mechanics and he's smooth pulling up off screens, but the rest of the time he's a bit of a liability.

The rest of his game has been better than advertised, but it's mostly built around hustle rather than skill and as most have said it'll come down to whether he can shoot the ball consistently from 3. If he's 40%+ from 3 he'll be incredibly valuable to stick in the corner.

I'm giving the kid a break though. No practices really, limited game time, weird team dynamic, plus his sophomore season was cut short. Redshirt year and hope next year is better.

I've noticed that too, we seem to have a lot of guys falling a lot. Timelord used to all the time, Jaylen seems to lately. Nesmith too. I'm not worried at all yet, but being able to reset your balance after firing around screens to launch a 3 is kinda key to his role. Hopefully dude learns to stay upright.
soxfan2003
RealGM
Posts: 11,245
And1: 3,689
Joined: May 30, 2003
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#635 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.


You were right but I honestly think Ainge and company drafted him thinking 3 and D. That is what he was kind of advertised by the pundits as so I'd be shocked if the Celtics genuinely thought different.

Some may think 14 is too high for 3 and D but other players without much D and only 3's have gone around that spot. Ainge and company could evaluate his shooting up close in workouts and not just during the college season.

It really all comes down to how well Nesmith can shoot and how he adjusts to the NBA game. I for sure would play him an average of 10 MPG. Stevens can do this by resting other players and still probably make 4th or 5th seed.

Playoffs are a different story and I would only give him very limited minutes in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve any developmental minutes then when rotations are shortened and every relatively healthy player available.

But you also need to remember, Tyler Hero didn't start off last year great but he still helped Miami in the playoffs. I realize bubble/longer season last year made it more likely for him to contribute in a positive fashion but I wouldn't be completely shocked with Nesmith contributing in the playoffs if Celtics continue to play him.

End of the day, size becomes more important in the playoffs. Nesmith has decent size for his position. It obviously doesn't amount too much if he doesn't start hitting 3's but if he does, he can contribute a little bit at least.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,422
And1: 3,315
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#636 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.


You were right but I honestly think Ainge and company drafted him thinking 3 and D. That is what he was kind of advertised by the pundits as so I'd be shocked if the Celtics genuinely thought different.

Some may think 14 is too high for 3 and D but other players without much D and only 3's have gone around that spot. Ainge and company could evaluate his shooting up close in workouts and not just during the college season.

It really all comes down to how well Nesmith can shoot and how he adjusts to the NBA game. I for sure would play him an average of 10 MPG. Stevens can do this by resting other players and still probably make 4th or 5th seed.

Playoffs are a different story and I would only give him very limited minutes in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve any developmental minutes then when rotations are shortened and every relatively healthy player available.

But you also need to remember, Tyler Hero didn't start off last year great but he still helped Miami in the playoffs. I realize bubble/longer season last year made it more likely for him to contribute in a positive fashion but I wouldn't be completely shocked with Nesmith contributing in the playoffs if Celtics continue to play him.

End of the day, size becomes more important in the playoffs. Nesmith has decent size for his position. It obviously doesn't amount too much if he doesn't start hitting 3's but if he does, he can contribute a little bit at least.

The idea of a 3 and D guy was not an issue for me, it was the player itself. He was billed as some sharp-shooter based off 14 games against mainly iffy non-conference competition. Fact is in college he:

1. Shot under 50% on 2s (big red flag)
2. Did not get to the line much (29% FTr)
3. Never passed the ball (<1.5 APG)
4. Showed little/no handle
5. Got injured
6. Didn't test out as a freak athlete

Line him up to Saddiq Bey and I struggle to see what he did better than Bey. Similar body types, but Bey was a better passer, had a much longer period of plus performance against good competition, showed the ability to put the ball on the floor, and based on Nova's track record, you knew he was at a bare minimum going to be a very smart, positionally-effective defender once acclimated to the NBA.

If we were going for the 3-and-D at all costs with that pick, I think they just fundamentally mis-evaluated the best option there. I think you can say the same in making a promise to Pritchard when Bane was there and is a similar score-first smaller guard but just a better overall player. At least PP has shown he's solid too so the sting of passing up on Bane isn't as acute as Bey/Nesmith.

The real answer is if we were desperate for a wing/guard, we should have overpaid to trade up and get one of Vassell or Haliburton. Both those guys look 100% as-advertised and would have been huge additions to this team.

Return to Boston Celtics