ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#621 » by Wes-J » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:00 am

Nesmith can barely walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Most awkward player I've ever seen.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#622 » by 31to6 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Seems like Brad just may never get over Nesmith slapping him in front of the whole team and calling him "a little bitch".
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#623 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:18 pm

31to6 wrote:Seems like Brad just may never get over Nesmith slapping him in front of the whole team and calling him "a little bitch".

:D :D :D :D :D :D god I wish I could have seen this.. in any reality.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#624 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:27 pm

Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#625 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:35 pm

LoquaciousLarry wrote:Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

As a Freshman as the 4 star lesser heralded recruit with Darius Garland, Nesmith played in all 32 games for a 9-23 Vandy team. Starting 19, he played 29 mpg averaging 11ppg, 5 rpg, 1 apg while shooting 39% from the field and 34% from 3. Of course his sophomore year in 14 games he averaged 23 ppg on 51% shooting and 50% from 3. As the 63rd overall recruit two years ago, I felt this was far too small of a sample size for a one dimensional player for the investment of the 14th pick.

Should have consolidated and moved up to draft Haliburton or Jalen Smith in my opinion. Hopefully Nesmith proves me wrong but these are the types of red flags that stood out when evaluating him as a prospect.

I wanted Nesmith, but wanted S Bey a bit more. He is a bigger player with a real seasoned game.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#626 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:37 pm

playa-hater wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:Nesmith might turn into a player but I didn't like the pick. Took a SG the year prior at the same draft slot and for being a "shooter", he really only had impressive stats in his 14 game sophomore year where he really lit it up.

I wanted Nesmith, but wanted S Bey a bit more. He is a bigger player with a real seasoned game.

Bey has looked outstanding, he really killed us this year
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#627 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:26 pm

Wes-J wrote:Nesmith can barely walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Most awkward player I've ever seen.

I haven't seen enough to know whether he's just a spooked rook who didn't have enough training camp and preseason time. That was exactly Avery Bradley's situation, of course.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#628 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:01 am

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#629 » by sportfan6197 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:07 am

Jalen Smith was a massive reach back then and even more so now. what a strange choice for someone to trade up for to reach on

Haliburton definitely would have been nice. Sacramento didn't need him either, think they definitely would move down 2 spots for an extra first.

But agreed with poster above, passing on Bey was really silly. Nova has been producing excellent high IQ players as well, DiVicenzo, Brogdon, Brunson, Pashall, Bridges, Hart,
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#630 » by CelticsLV » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:45 am

Gomes3PC wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

His defensive effort has been a pleasant surprise, but a long-armed guy who tries hard on D and shoots 32% from 3 can be plucked from the G League at literally at any point you want.

Kids develop at their own pace and it's certainly not out of the question he takes a big leap with a proper offseason, but at the moment there's no reason to play him.

Pretty much my scouting report. Though, I wouldn't call it high bust potential, rather a very low ceiling to begin with. His college tape was like 90% of him just knocking down 3s. And just like you said, no ball handling skills with all the problems that arise from it. We are not even talking about a raw 18/19 year old prospect, but a 21 year old with very little skills to begin with. The guy will be out of the NBA very quickly if he doesn't start to shoot around 40% from 3. I was personally looking at some higher ceiling players like Hampton/Pokusevski. There were plenty of instant role player types around 30th pick. Wasn't expecting for Bane to drop so low and even more surprised we didn't pick him. I guess FO though Nesmith's shooting would translate and they liked his size.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#631 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:41 am

What is so special about Bey? He has shot it pretty well from 3 but not outstanding (.379) and from free throw line at a very low clip. Everything else is pretty underwhelming for a guy getting quite a lot of minutes on a terrible team.

If you put Nesmith on that DET team, he would average 10 points...

I like Nesmith potential. He is extremely active, has a knack for rebounds, good length but he just needs minutes…too bad we did not have G-league team this year…He will be much better next season, IMO. I also think the way we are using him (standing in the corner) isn`t really his game. He is more Rip or Allen kind of shooter coming of screens and curls…
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#632 » by Elrod is Back » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:35 pm

Nesmith has to shoot well. If he does, it was a great pick. If he doesn't, its a bust. Everything else we have seen is better than advertised.He is no RJ Hunter stranding in the corner and firing up bricks and airballs.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#633 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am

I liked the pick at the time, but can't pretend it's not been disappointing. I still have hope, but his year is done now that Fournier is on board.

He's definitely got high bust potential. His name was built off of an incredibly small sample size and not a ton else. His form is there though, which gives me comfort.

The most worrying thing for me is his inability to stay on his feet. He's always taking really hard spills and flying all over the place unnecessarily. Love the hustle, but it's just terrible body control. It's like he never learned how to fall. It just really sticks out to me as something different with him that I've rarely seen before. I like his shooting mechanics and he's smooth pulling up off screens, but the rest of the time he's a bit of a liability.

The rest of his game has been better than advertised, but it's mostly built around hustle rather than skill and as most have said it'll come down to whether he can shoot the ball consistently from 3. If he's 40%+ from 3 he'll be incredibly valuable to stick in the corner.

I'm giving the kid a break though. No practices really, limited game time, weird team dynamic, plus his sophomore season was cut short. Redshirt year and hope next year is better.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#634 » by djFan71 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 am

cl2117 wrote:I liked the pick at the time, but can't pretend it's not been disappointing. I still have hope, but his year is done now that Fournier is on board.

He's definitely got high bust potential. His name was built off of an incredibly small sample size and not a ton else. His form is there though, which gives me comfort.

The most worrying thing for me is his inability to stay on his feet. He's always taking really hard spills and flying all over the place unnecessarily. Love the hustle, but it's just terrible body control. It's like he never learned how to fall. It just really sticks out to me as something different with him that I've rarely seen before. I like his shooting mechanics and he's smooth pulling up off screens, but the rest of the time he's a bit of a liability.

The rest of his game has been better than advertised, but it's mostly built around hustle rather than skill and as most have said it'll come down to whether he can shoot the ball consistently from 3. If he's 40%+ from 3 he'll be incredibly valuable to stick in the corner.

I'm giving the kid a break though. No practices really, limited game time, weird team dynamic, plus his sophomore season was cut short. Redshirt year and hope next year is better.

I've noticed that too, we seem to have a lot of guys falling a lot. Timelord used to all the time, Jaylen seems to lately. Nesmith too. I'm not worried at all yet, but being able to reset your balance after firing around screens to launch a 3 is kinda key to his role. Hopefully dude learns to stay upright.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#635 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:31 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I warned that this kid had high bust potential if he didn't shoot. He showed zero passing skill, ability to draw fouls, or ballhandling in college - what do you know, but all three of those things are true in the NBA.

You were right but I honestly think Ainge and company drafted him thinking 3 and D. That is what he was kind of advertised by the pundits as so I'd be shocked if the Celtics genuinely thought different.

Some may think 14 is too high for 3 and D but other players without much D and only 3's have gone around that spot. Ainge and company could evaluate his shooting up close in workouts and not just during the college season.

It really all comes down to how well Nesmith can shoot and how he adjusts to the NBA game. I for sure would play him an average of 10 MPG. Stevens can do this by resting other players and still probably make 4th or 5th seed.

Playoffs are a different story and I would only give him very limited minutes in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve any developmental minutes then when rotations are shortened and every relatively healthy player available.

But you also need to remember, Tyler Hero didn't start off last year great but he still helped Miami in the playoffs. I realize bubble/longer season last year made it more likely for him to contribute in a positive fashion but I wouldn't be completely shocked with Nesmith contributing in the playoffs if Celtics continue to play him.

End of the day, size becomes more important in the playoffs. Nesmith has decent size for his position. It obviously doesn't amount too much if he doesn't start hitting 3's but if he does, he can contribute a little bit at least.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#636 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:23 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:

You were right but I honestly think Ainge and company drafted him thinking 3 and D. That is what he was kind of advertised by the pundits as so I'd be shocked if the Celtics genuinely thought different.

Some may think 14 is too high for 3 and D but other players without much D and only 3's have gone around that spot. Ainge and company could evaluate his shooting up close in workouts and not just during the college season.

It really all comes down to how well Nesmith can shoot and how he adjusts to the NBA game. I for sure would play him an average of 10 MPG. Stevens can do this by resting other players and still probably make 4th or 5th seed.

Playoffs are a different story and I would only give him very limited minutes in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve any developmental minutes then when rotations are shortened and every relatively healthy player available.

But you also need to remember, Tyler Hero didn't start off last year great but he still helped Miami in the playoffs. I realize bubble/longer season last year made it more likely for him to contribute in a positive fashion but I wouldn't be completely shocked with Nesmith contributing in the playoffs if Celtics continue to play him.

End of the day, size becomes more important in the playoffs. Nesmith has decent size for his position. It obviously doesn't amount too much if he doesn't start hitting 3's but if he does, he can contribute a little bit at least.

The idea of a 3 and D guy was not an issue for me, it was the player itself. He was billed as some sharp-shooter based off 14 games against mainly iffy non-conference competition. Fact is in college he:

1. Shot under 50% on 2s (big red flag)
2. Did not get to the line much (29% FTr)
3. Never passed the ball (<1.5 APG)
4. Showed little/no handle
5. Got injured
6. Didn't test out as a freak athlete

Line him up to Saddiq Bey and I struggle to see what he did better than Bey. Similar body types, but Bey was a better passer, had a much longer period of plus performance against good competition, showed the ability to put the ball on the floor, and based on Nova's track record, you knew he was at a bare minimum going to be a very smart, positionally-effective defender once acclimated to the NBA.

If we were going for the 3-and-D at all costs with that pick, I think they just fundamentally mis-evaluated the best option there. I think you can say the same in making a promise to Pritchard when Bane was there and is a similar score-first smaller guard but just a better overall player. At least PP has shown he's solid too so the sting of passing up on Bane isn't as acute as Bey/Nesmith.

The real answer is if we were desperate for a wing/guard, we should have overpaid to trade up and get one of Vassell or Haliburton. Both those guys look 100% as-advertised and would have been huge additions to this team.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#637 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:59 am

Nesmith's says hello :D
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#638 » by Spin Move » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:19 am

You can't judge a shooter who does not get enough shots to to get any Rhythm tonight was his first time getting double digit shots, and he has only had more then 5 shots a handful of times. , Nesmith has worked his ass off on D and shown he can be an ideal wing to play between Brown and Tatum.

Nesmith has only played including tonight 453 minutes. In a normal summer league and pre-season he would gave gotten about that much playing time. This was not a normal year and he was coming off a big injury. He has shown that he can defend, he needs more time to learn the NBA game, but he is right now experience wise where a normal rookie is starting the season

Saddiq Bey is putting up 11 and 4 on a bad team with a per of 12, Bey has played over 1500 minutes for that bad pistons team, I have no doubt that Nesmith could be putting up similar stats in that situation.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#639 » by GoGreen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:05 am

Happy for him. He always hustles. Lets hope it continues!
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#640 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 pm

GoGreen wrote:Happy for him. He always hustles. Lets hope it continues!

Too bad Brown crapped on Nesmith in the postgame interviews last night, essentially saying Nesmith's going too hard and is at risk of getting a teammate hurt.

Return to Boston Celtics