Dejounte Murray Would Not Sign Extension With Spurs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dejounte Murray Would Not Sign Extension With Spurs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm

Part of the San Antonio Spurs motivation to trade Dejounte Murray may have been the guard's insistence that he would not sign an extension. The Spurs have agreed to trade Murray to the Atlanta Hawks for a package including three first-round picks, rights to swap another first-round pick and Danilo Gallinari.

Speaking on The Hoop Collective, ESPN's Brian Windhorst said, “(Murray) and his agent, Rich Paul, made it known that he was not going to extend his contract with the Spurs this summer.”

In Murray's defense, the Spurs could only offer him a 20% bump in salary off his current $16.6 million deal. That's well-below market value for the All-Star guard. Murray will likely let his current contract play out, then he'll hit free agency in the summer of 2024.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,606

Re: Dejounte Murray Would Not Sign Extension With Spurs 

Post#2 » by NBA4Lyfe » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:59 pm

lol rich paul and klutch trying to spin this false narrative. Dejounte was a headache for the spurs front office and pop. They gave him everything, they let him bring his different girlfriends and homeboys to practice and he kept asking for more privledges thinking he was james harden or lebron. The biggest kept secret in the nba was that the spurs had been trying to find a trade partner for this guy for a while now, only the knicks and hawks were intrested. Good luck atlanta, you are gonna need it
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#3 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm

NBA4Lyfe wrote:lol rich paul and klutch trying to spin this false narrative. Dejounte was a headache for the spurs front office and pop. They gave him everything, they let him bring his different girlfriends and homeboys to practice and he kept asking for more privledges thinking he was james harden or lebron. The biggest kept secret in the nba was that the spurs had been trying to find a trade partner for this guy for a while now, only the knicks and hawks were intrested. Good luck atlanta, you are gonna need it

I'd never heard any of this before. Do you have a source? I'm genuinely curious about reading more but can't find anything.
Go Knicks!
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#4 » by alienchild » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:01 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
NBA4Lyfe wrote:lol rich paul and klutch trying to spin this false narrative. Dejounte was a headache for the spurs front office and pop. They gave him everything, they let him bring his different girlfriends and homeboys to practice and he kept asking for more privledges thinking he was james harden or lebron. The biggest kept secret in the nba was that the spurs had been trying to find a trade partner for this guy for a while now, only the knicks and hawks were intrested. Good luck atlanta, you are gonna need it

I'd never heard any of this before. Do you have a source? I'm genuinely curious about reading more but can't find anything.

Whether or not it's true is immaterial. What they could offer extension-wise is in the CBA, and Murray wasn't going to sign. Spurs decided to sell high now, rather than end up in a Kawhi like standoff in 2 years time.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#5 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:09 pm

alienchild wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Whether or not it's true is immaterial. What they could offer extension-wise is in the CBA, and Murray wasn't going to sign. Spurs decided to sell high now, rather than end up in a Kawhi like standoff in 2 years time.

I know that, and actually like the haul that the Spurs got, but still an interesting story that I hadn't heard.
Go Knicks!
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,929

Post#6 » by meekrab » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:31 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:In Murray's defense, the Spurs could only offer him a 20% bump in salary off his current $16.6 million deal. That's well-below market value for the All-Star guard.

Yeah one of the most over-valued player archetypes in the NBA marketplace is the "all star guard" with low efficiency and no defense. OG Anunoby is worth twice what Murray is in terms of winning basketball games.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 643

Post#7 » by FeatheryTouch » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm

meekrab wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:In Murray's defense, the Spurs could only offer him a 20% bump in salary off his current $16.6 million deal. That's well-below market value for the All-Star guard.

Yeah one of the most over-valued player archetypes in the NBA marketplace is the "all star guard" with low efficiency and no defense. OG Anunoby is worth twice what Murray is in terms of winning basketball games.

So Murray plays "no defense"? Huh?

He's a very good defender that led the league in steals last season. The Hawks traded for him because they wanted a good defender next to Trae. WTH are you talking about?
Mohammad_manu20
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Mohammad_manu20 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 pm

FeatheryTouch wrote:
meekrab wrote:

So Murray plays "no defense"? Huh?

He's a very good defender that led the league in steals last season. The Hawks traded for him because they wanted a good defender next to Trae. WTH are you talking about?

it's not that he isn't a good defender, he really cares about that steal stat. he gambles a lot and as result get out of position a lot.several times in one game wich really cost you in close game.
that being said, i really think now that he's on winning team and he's not the alfa, he will get his **** together. at least i hope so because i really like the guy

Return to Wiretap Discussion