Falcons draft QB of the future in Desmond Ridder 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:10 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Re: Falcons draft QB of the future in Desmond Ridder 

Post#2 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:36 am

I hate 'safe pick', everytime i hear 'safe pick' all i see is Marvin Williams, and that is what Ridder is, the 'safe pick'

I have Corral #1 because of his clutchness and Malik #2 because of his arm. I mean come on! how awesome would it have been if Atlanta got Matt Corral, he turns into Bret Favre, and then would could have given him the nickname 'Golden Gorral'!!!! :banghead:

Ridder is the safe pick, he will probably be a lesser version of Sam Darnold, who was the 'safe pick' in his draft class.

I could be wrong, maybe (i hope) Ridder will be another Matt Schaub.....?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 1, 2022 4:08 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 7, 2022 8:54 pm

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon May 9, 2022 2:57 pm

Video was made before the draft. Ridder's direct comparison was Marcus Mariota. Crazy how 3 months later, both guys are on the same team competing for the 1 starting spot.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 17, 2022 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter

graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#7 » by graymule » Fri May 20, 2022 1:40 pm

:D
Marcus Mariota and not Desmond Ridder is our "safe" pick. He is of known quality as a QB. Our draft pick is a known winner. In four years as a starter, his team never lost a home game. What other QB can make this claim? Because he has said that he modeled his game after Marcus leads me to believe that both of them are winners.

As a team, All of us Falcon fans worry. We have had the same starter under center for so long. Change makes us nervous. Old Falcon team wasn't going anywhere. Too much $$$ payroll tied up with too few players. We're eating a giant lump of dead payroll $$$ this season because of moves that were necessary.

:D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:41 am

Momentum Builds for Desmond Ridder to Start at QB for Atlanta Falcons

It's hard to find anyone within the Atlanta Falcons organization who doesn't rave about rookie quarterback Desmond Ridder.

During Saturday's 28-12 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars, general manager Terry Fontenot and center Drew Dalman were interviewed during the telecast. Both talked about the quarterback's work ethic and going about his business the right way.

His performance during the Falcons' preseason game helped create more momentum for this year's 74th overall pick to start at some point this season.

It didn't look that way initially, though. Ridder threw an interception during Atlanta's first offensive play. Pressure up the middle caused the rookie to fade to his left, and the quarterback left it short and late over the middle.

Instead of dwelling on the mistake, the first-year signal-caller responded with a excellent touchdown drive on the very next series. Ridder completed all five passes he attempted during the sequence, including an impressive throw on a deep out to convert a 3rd-and-8.

Ridder knew coming into the contest he needed to show more despite an exemplary preseason performance. He identified his presnap process and getting the offense ready for the play and snap sooner when he spoke with reporters.

“I’ve got a couple of things to clean up myself, play calls, getting the operations run,” Ridder said after Monday's 24-16 loss to the New York Jets. “Just really executing.”

The maturity the 22-year-old exhibits allows the Falcons to dig in deeper and harder to get him ready if/when he's called upon during the regular season.

"I don't treat him like a rookie," Smith told reporters Wednesday. "The worst thing you can do is sit there and lower the expectations for somebody. We're trying to get him ready to play real Sunday NFL football, and if you make it too easy on him, you're not doing him a favor."

In doing so, the Falcons are simultaneously preparing for the inevitable moment when they look toward the future by seeing what they have in Ridder now.

The coaching staff sees their young quarterback taking shots, zipping in a perfect slant route so his receiver can create after the catch, threading a pass between the second and third levels and finding wide receivers down the field. He's consistently making high-level NFL-caliber throws. Ridder played well into the fourth quarter Saturday and threw for 185 yards and a score. A second interception did occur but that was nothing more than a heave during the last play of the first half.

Marcus Mariota is a consummate professional. He's still expected to be Atlanta's Week 1 starter, according to NFL Network's Cameron Wolfe. Yet he's nothing more than a bridge.

The eventual transition to Ridder just may happen sooner rather than later based on what everyone has seen throughout the preseason. The Falcons must find out what they have in the young man, and early returns are quite promising.
Bleacher Report
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:04 pm

The Athletic's Josh Kendall believes Falcons head coach Arthur Smith is "trying to get [Desmond Ridder] ready for at least some action this season."

The rookie played extensively in Atlanta's three preseason tilts, often shining against defensive backups. Ridder completed 60.8 percent of his preseason passes for 431 yards (7.7 YPA), three touchdowns, and two interceptions. Ridder also rushed twice for 53 yards. Kendall said Smith coached Ridder "hard" throughout training camp to get him up to speed before Week 1. Marcus Mariota will get the Week 1 nod, but Ridder could see plenty of playing time if Mariota struggles or deals with injuries once again. Ridder should be rostered in 12-team superflex leagues. 

RELATED: 

Marcus Mariota

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 29, 2022, 10:24 AM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#11 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 6, 2022 8:03 pm

Grading Every Rookie QB's Preseason Performance

Desmond Ridder -- Atlanta Falcons

At least initially in 2022, the Atlanta Falcons are banking on Marcus Mariota. While rebuilding the roster, they're aiming to extract the best of 2015's second overall selection.

But we should be seeing Desmond Ridder along the way.

The third-round pick out of Cincinnati threw two touchdowns and led a comeback win over the Detroit Lions during his debut. He followed that up with a 10-of-13, 143-yard showing opposite the New York Jets.

Although he had a bit of a roller-coaster day against the Jacksonville Jaguars and threw two interceptions, he still finished 14-of-21 for 185 yards and a touchdown.

Ridder is not definitely the Falcons' long-term QB, but the preseason suggested he deserves a shot sometime soon.

Grade: B+
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 3, 2022 5:39 am

With Mariota on a short leash, is it finally Ridder Time?

Read on Twitter
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#13 » by DirtybirdGA » Mon Oct 3, 2022 11:45 am

It's soon, it's way too many turnovers for a so-called vet.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 8:04 pm

I'm not for winning this season, but why not, Vick, Ryan... Atlanta has a good record when it comes to rookie QBs
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 4, 2022 11:33 pm

DirtybirdGA wrote:It's soon, it's way too many turnovers for a so-called vet.
That's my problem with him.
He's doing ok overall but the turnovers have been huge. The rookie will eventually get it if we lose three straight.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:07 pm

It's Ridder time.

I can only wish!

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:23 pm

Rookies We'd Like to See More of Down the Stretch

QB Desmond Ridder, Atlanta Falcons

The Atlanta Falcon's offense with Marcus Mariota at quarterback is just OK.

All things considered, they have overachieved compared to what the expectations were for the team before the season. They are right in the middle of the pack in offensive expected points added per play and yards per play, per The 33rd Team

However, Mariota's limitations have been more pronounced recently. On the heels of back-to-back losses to the Los Angeles Chargers and Carolina Panthers, head coach Arthur Smith had to dismiss any notion of a quarterback controversy brewing.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported the Falcons wouldn't be moving on from Mariota unless the team is out of playoff contention.

Technically, they took another step toward remaining in contention with a 27-24 win over the Chicago Bears. But it was on the heels of another ho-hum day from the veteran quarterback. Mariota went 13-of-20 for 131 yards and a touchdown, adding another 25 yards on the ground with a rushing touchdown.

At this point, it's hard to see the Falcons doing anything with a playoff spot when they are so limited at quarterback. Third-round pick Desmond Ridder at least has the potential to elevate the offense.

The quarterback has yet to see any action but brings an athletic profile to the table and was impressive during the preseason. Rapoport reported the Falcons staff likes the development they've seen in the quarterback.

With the Falcons barely hanging on in the wild-card race and sitting a half-game behind the Bucs, it's time to see what they have in Ridder.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Read on Twitter

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm all for tanking but this is the time of the year that the Falcons should give Ridder some reps and starts.

I want to draft Carter or Ringo, but we need to see if Ridder is the real deal or just another Darnold or Mayfield and Falcons may need to look into possibly drafting Levis or CJ in the first round.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#20 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:11 pm

It is time.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Falcons