Ben Simmons On Return To Philadelphia: I Know What's Coming

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Ben Simmons On Return To Philadelphia: I Know What's Coming 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:02 pm

Ben Simmons was in a joking mood about his return to Philadelphia. When asked about returning to his first NBA home to play the 76ers, the Brooklyn Nets big man playfully played it off.

"I'm ready to play," he said, before adding, "Something going on?" causing the assembled media to break into laughter.

Simmons again joked when asked if there's been enough time for any hard feelings Sixers fans may have for him to have passed, by saying "In Philly?"

Simmons then got serious about what he knows he's facing.

"I know what's coming. That's part of the game. Philly fans, one thing about Philly fans is they are incredible. They are die-hard Philly and they are everything Philly, whatever it is. I respect that about the city. It's a sports town. I was talking to I think Yuta (Watanabe) before the game about what it's like to play in Philly, and it's an incredible opportunity to put on whatever jersey it is.

"That's Philly, and it's a unique experience."

Simmons then added he's got a lot of love for Philadelphia.

"I was 18 years old coming into Philly, so it's really the only place I've lived as an adult. So I have a lot of love for that city," he said. "People don't know that, but a lot of my best friends are from Philadelphia. My brother still lives in Philadelphia. So regardless of the situation, whatever happened, happened. But I got a lot of love for that city still, so I look forward to going down there and playing."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Re: Ben Simmons On Return To Philadelphia: I Know What's Coming 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:22 pm

A true test to this young man's mental fortitude. Best of luck.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,477

Post#3 » by Hipster Doofus » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:09 pm

Was hoping Maxey and Harden weren't injured for this game.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#4 » by Tom White » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:44 pm

For all his various problems, it sounds like he handled that interview really well.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,699

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm

Tom White wrote:For all his various problems, it sounds like he handled that interview really well.

People have said Ben Simmons was faking mental health stuff to get out of Philly for a long time. It seems pretty clear to me that all his mental health issues were real and serious at this point. That doesn't make what he did the right thing as you still have to be accountable for your actions, and you still let down your team, but I think it does push some perspective on things.

His attitude here, makes it seem like he's in a better place, and the human in me thinks that's great for another person who was clearly suffering regardless of the money or other stuff he had going for him. So in that sense, it's nice to see, and if Ben Simmons is able to pull himself out of that situation, it's probably actually a really nice story of recovering from mental illness (even if he isn't a star) that likely will not get told in that way due to all the other baggage and damage caused.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:58 pm

The dude had 22/8/5 and 15/13/7 the game before. If he keeps it up a lot of people will eat crow here. It looks like his offense game is decisive and confident, a much improvement from merely a week ago. His defensive game is very much lacking, a surprise for a former DPOY runner-up. It almost looked like the ghost of James Haren got to him. But once he gets more confident and comfortable on O, the D should come around.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#7 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:30 pm

still beyond me how people compare ben's story to kyrie's. obviously i never had all information and i was just assuming.
but his mental health problems always seemed real to me and i could totally see the confidence crumble. When teams hack you and expose your flaws, when coach and teammates throw you under the bus publicly, when the whole world and media turns on you not everybody deals with it very well. fairly certain most of us wouldn't.

i have been rooting for ben through this whole thing and he seems to get back on track. And i sincerly hope he gets all his money from philly because if someone like kyrie can get paid through all his escapades and injuries, ben should get his money too.
im bout dat action boss
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,245

Post#8 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:43 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:still beyond me how people compare ben's story to kyrie's. obviously i never had all information and i was just assuming.
but his mental health problems always seemed real to me and i could totally see the confidence crumble. When teams hack you and expose your flaws, when coach and teammates throw you under the bus publicly, when the whole world and media turns on you not everybody deals with it very well. fairly certain most of us wouldn't.

i have been rooting for ben through this whole thing and he seems to get back on track. And i sincerly hope he gets all his money from philly because if someone like kyrie can get paid through all his escapades and injuries, ben should get his money too.

Are you his mother? He refused to play and acted like a child throughout the entirity of last season. Only in the NBA could you be paid in full and refuse to work.

His petulant, entitled behaviour clearly went beyond mental health issues, which were also only mentioned after he turned up to practice (because he wasn't getting paid after initially saying he wasn't going to show cos I'm an NBA superstar so do what I say and trade me), acted like a clown at practice and then got told to stay away (again without pay).

IMO he's just playing nice in the hope their fans go a little easier on him tomorrow.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,150

Post#9 » by Revived » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:11 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:still beyond me how people compare ben's story to kyrie's. obviously i never had all information and i was just assuming.

If his mental problems were real and all then why did he sue to get paid while playing COD on twitch every night till 2am?

If I was a millionaire dealing with mental health so bad then getting paid wouldn’t exactly be priority at that time.

He even lied in the Redick interview and said “I don’t care about the money, I just wanted my peace” but actions show otherwise when he filed a lawsuit against Philly to try and get paid.

I trust people who put their $$ where their mouth is. Everything else is just buffer.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#10 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:21 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:

Are you his mother? He refused to play and acted like a child throughout the entirity of last season. Only in the NBA could you be paid in full and refuse to work.

His petulant, entitled behaviour clearly went beyond mental health issues, which were also only mentioned after he turned up to practice (because he wasn't getting paid after initially saying he wasn't going to show cos I'm an NBA superstar so do what I say and trade me), acted like a clown at practice and then got told to stay away (again without pay).

IMO he's just playing nice in the hope their fans go a little easier on him tomorrow.

Revived wrote:If his mental problems were real and all then why did he sue to get paid while playing COD on twitch every night till 2am?

If I was a millionaire dealing with mental health so bad then getting paid wouldn’t exactly be priority at that time.

He even lied in the Redick interview and said “I don’t care about the money, I just wanted my peace” but actions show otherwise when he filed a lawsuit against Philly to try and get paid.

I trust people who put their $$ where their mouth is. Everything else is just buffer.

you clearly have no experience with mental health issues in any form yourself or with freinds or family right? mental health issues dont just show up over night, its a very long process in most cases and going public with it is a whole other topic. also you dont even know, if ben wanted this lawsuit, it could very well be the agent, manager, family or what not. you guys are so quick to judge someone without knowing any context, its emberassing.

and if you think hes playing well to get nice comments and an ovation and then turns back to playing bad on purpose after, you also have no clue about the NBA and the general level of play. just a delusional internet smartass. cringe
im bout dat action boss
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,394

Post#11 » by shrink » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:55 pm

Simmons refused to attend therapy when the Sixers brought in mental health professionals for him.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,245

Post#12 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:13 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
luciano-davidwesley wrote:

Revived wrote:If his mental problems were real and all then why did he sue to get paid while playing COD on twitch every night till 2am?

also you dont even know, if ben wanted this lawsuit, it could very well be the agent, manager, family or what not. you guys are so quick to judge someone without knowing any context, its emberassing.

Because Ben's handlers would be filing a lawsuit without his knowledge or consent right? :lol:

Actions speak louder than words :wink:
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:15 am

shrink wrote:Simmons refused to attend therapy when the Sixers brought in mental health professionals for him.

It wasn't "mental health" until his lawyers found that loophole. At first he was just angry and refused to play. We didn't hear about "mental health" until paychecks were on the line.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#14 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:28 am

Tom White wrote:For all his various problems, it sounds like he handled that interview really well.

Well said, sir! Not a Simmons fan AT ALL, but I agree... for the first time in a long time (ever?) he handled himself like a mensch.
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,477

Post#15 » by Hipster Doofus » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:57 pm

Canadian6ersFan wrote:Was hoping Maxey and Harden weren't injured for this game.

Let's add Embiid to this list.

By this trajectory, we can extrapolate that Ben Simmons and the Nets will play against five random Philly crowd fans in the arena.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,394

Post#16 » by shrink » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Canadian6ersFan wrote:
Canadian6ersFan wrote:Was hoping Maxey and Harden weren't injured for this game.

Let's add Embiid to this list.

By this trajectory, we can extrapolate that Ben Simmons and the Nets will play against five random Philly crowd fans in the arena.

They’re all ducking Simmons
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Post#17 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:58 am

Thanks for stopping by Ben. Now take your L and leave.

Return to Wiretap Discussion