Post#1 » by ijspeelman » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:01 am

Read on Twitter
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 911

Re: Game 30: Pacers @ Cavs 12/16/2022 

Post#2 » by ijspeelman » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:52 am

I have no intellectual takes. Great come back and game. Love, love, love the heart of the team to come back and win this.

Pacers are no joke.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,421

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:03 am

Low key big win.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:23 am

Also, watching Haliburton just embarrass Stevens and LeVert should make people think twice about selling low on Okoro.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#5 » by TheLand13 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:04 am

These last two wins from Cleveland have made me feel a lot better about them than I have as of late. But now the real test begins. After Dallas, they will be going up against I believe Utah, Milwaukee, Toronto and Brooklyn.

They are 0-2 against both Toronto and Milwaukee, but this time they will be at home for both games. And Brooklyn, as we know, have been on a roll lately. I will be very happy if we come out of this 3-1. But we really will need to be at the top of our games for these.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,982

Post#6 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:06 am

jbk1234 wrote:Also, watching Haliburton just embarrass Stevens and LeVert should make people think twice about selling low on Okoro.

Haliburton was impressive. Got teammates good looks all night, at least until the 4th. He was roasting every bigger guy that got switched onto him, including Mobley and Allen.

Mitchell is a force of nature.

Lamar had a rough night, maybe a little too high after Wednesday.

The Pacers are legit good, just glad we caught Haliburton on an off-night shooting.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:21 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Also, watching Haliburton just embarrass Stevens and LeVert should make people think twice about selling low on Okoro.

Haliburton was impressive. Got teammates good looks all night, at least until the 4th. He was roasting every bigger guy that got switched onto him, including Mobley and Allen.

The Pacers are legit good, just glad we caught Haliburton on an off-night shooting.

Stevens is a role player who is entirely matchup dependent. If he's guarding bigger wings who play bully ball, he's perfect. If you put him out on quicker guards, it's just ugly.

Even LeVert who has been making an honest effort on the defensive end, couldn't stay with Haliburton.

I'm pretty forgiving about JBB's substitution decisions due to the overall roster construction, but tonight's matchup is the reason Okoro is still on the roster. I just don't think you sit there and watch Haliburton get wherever he wants for the entire 3rd quarter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,739

Post#8 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Stevens is a role player who is entirely matchup dependent. If he's guarding bigger wings who play bully ball, he's perfect. If you put him out on quicker guards, it's just ugly.

Even LeVert who has been making an honest effort on the defensive end, couldn't stay with Haliburton.

I'm pretty forgiving about JBB's substitution decisions due to the overall roster construction, but tonight's matchup is the reason Okoro is still on the roster. I just don't think you sit there and watch Haliburton get wherever he wants for the entire 3rd quarter.
Idk how much better Okoro would be, in that situation, the guy has never been able to clamp anyone since he came in the league.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:55 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Haliburton was impressive. Got teammates good looks all night, at least until the 4th. He was roasting every bigger guy that got switched onto him, including Mobley and Allen.

Idk how much better Okoro would be, in that situation, the guy has never been able to clamp anyone since he came in the league.

It's not about clamping down on players as good as Haliburton. It's about providing some resistance and not letting them get to where they want to go so effortlessly (and that's going to be really important in the post season). Stevens and LeVert were frigging matadors out there. Honestly, the couple of positions Garland got switched onto Haliburton, it seemed like he did a better job.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:12 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It's not about clamping down on players as good as Haliburton. It's about providing some resistance and not letting them get to where they want to go so effortlessly (and that's going to be really important in the post season). Stevens and LeVert were frigging matadors out there. Honestly, the couple of positions Garland got switched onto Haliburton, it seemed like he did a better job.

Stevens is mis-cast guarding PGs, but one of our two PGs should be guarding the other team's PG. But they were hunting switches. Hali made most of the team look bad. Because Hali is really good.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Idk how much better Okoro would be, in that situation, the guy has never been able to clamp anyone since he came in the league.

Stevens is mis-cast guarding PGs, but one of our two PGs should be guarding the other team's PG. But they were hunting switches. Hali made most of the team look bad. Because Hali is really good.

Smart teams rarely put their weakest defenders on the other team's best players. They find a way to hide them. I agree regarding Stevens. That was JBB allowing hope to triumph over experience.

But the overall point is that you're going to face really good guards in the post season which is why I'm far less eager to give away Okoro for yet another veteran wing who is decent defensively, but not good. What Stevens and LeVert offer offensively isn't enough to make up for what Haliburton did to the Cavs in the third quarter. I'd rather play four on five offensively and actually frustrate the other team somewhat, then play four and half on five offensively and allow a layup drill.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Smart teams rarely put their weakest defenders on the other team's best players. They find a way to hide them. I agree regarding Stevens. That was JBB allowing hope to triumph over experience.

But the overall point is that you're going to face really good guards in the post season which is why I'm far less eager to give away Okoro for yet another veteran wing who is decent defensively, but not good. What Stevens and LeVert offer offensively isn't enough to make up for what Haliburton did to the Cavs in the third quarter. I'd rather play four on five offensively and actually frustrate the other team somewhat, then play four and half on five offensively and allow a layup drill.

I don't think Mitchell or Garland need to be hidden as much as you do. Maybe rested.

But I think of we need another player to defend a guard we have Neto, who's definitely pesky on the defensive side of the ball. And while I don't necessarily want Neto to run an offense, he's probably better than Okoro offensively.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:41 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Stevens is mis-cast guarding PGs, but one of our two PGs should be guarding the other team's PG. But they were hunting switches. Hali made most of the team look bad. Because Hali is really good.

I don't think Mitchell or Garland need to be hidden as much as you do. Maybe rested.

But I think of we need another player to defend a guard we have Neto, who's definitely pesky on the defensive side of the ball. And while I don't necessarily want Neto to run an offense, he's probably better than Okoro offensively.

The idea that Neto has the size to defend a guy like Haliburton seems like a real stretch to me.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The idea that Neto has the size to defend a guy like Haliburton seems like a real stretch to me.

Depends on what final seeding ends up looking like, but assuming the playoffs end up like the standings right now, the guards we need to modify our lineup against is probably Kyrie, then Maxey and Harden in the 3 through 6 seeds. Maybe Brunson. Neto and Stevens are appropriate for them. Rubio, if healthy by the playoffs, is fairly appropriate for the 6'4" Hali, but he's probably going to make a play-in seed and be eliminated by Milwaukee or Boston.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:23 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I don't think Mitchell or Garland need to be hidden as much as you do. Maybe rested.

Depends on what final seeding ends up looking like, but assuming the playoffs end up like the standings right now, the guards we need to modify our lineup against is probably Kyrie, then Maxey and Harden in the 3 through 6 seeds. Maybe Brunson. Neto and Stevens are appropriate for them. Rubio, if healthy by the playoffs, is fairly appropriate for the 6'4" Hali, but he's probably going to make a play-in seed and be eliminated by Milwaukee or Boston.

You're not putting Neto out there as a starter with Garland and Mitchell in the playoffs. He's a munchkin.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

ijs, Okoro gets cooked by Trae and Harden. I'm not saying Hali plays like those 2 or that those 2 even play alike.

More so just pointing out, that anytime the Cavs have counted on Okoro to slowdown a prolific guard, he has failed in that task.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:50 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Idk how much better Okoro would be, in that situation, the guy has never been able to clamp anyone since he came in the league.

ijs, Okoro gets cooked by Trae and Harden. I'm not saying Hali plays like those 2 or that those 2 even play alike.

More so just pointing out, that anytime the Cavs have counted on Okoro to slowdown a prolific guard, he has failed in that task.

This simply isn't true. The Hawks made a point to switch Trae onto Lauri last year in the 1-3 PNR when Okoro was on him. With Harden, it's entirely dependent upon how the game is being officiated, and in the post season, the whistle tighten up.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#18 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:19 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

This simply isn't true. The Hawks made a point to switch Trae onto Lauri last year in the 1-3 PNR when Okoro was on him. With Harden, it's entirely dependent upon how the game is being officiated, and in the post season, the whistle tighten up.
Trae has cooked Okoro his entire career, it is an absolute horrible matchup for him. The Cavs collective fan base holds their breath when Okoro gets hung up on screens and Trae splashes or when Trae breaks Okoro down and dribbles past him like a traffic cone.

When the only thing a player contributes to a team is defense and he can't even do that, leaves a lot to be desired.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers