NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2022-23 (pt 2)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is your current NBA MVP? (listed alphabetically)

Giannis Antetokounmpo
13%
Luka Doncic
18%
Kevin Durant
5%
Joel Embiid
6%
Nikola Jokic
42%
Donovan Mitchell
1%
Ja Morant
1%
Jayson Tatum
12%
Zion Williamson
1%
Other (Booker, Curry, Davis, SGA, etc.)
2%

Total votes: 397

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2022-23 (pt 2) 

Post#1 » by bisme37 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:20 pm

The previous MVP thread/poll was getting old so here's the new one!

Poll is brand new, so get your votes in! And it is set up so we are able to change our votes as the players jockey for position throughout the season.

There is a limit of 10 poll options and there are more than 10 players playing at an elite level. So I decided to make an "other" option this time so as many players could be included as possible.

With that said... have fun!

(continued from here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2234152&p=103015852#p103015852 )
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,771

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2022-23 (pt 2) 

Post#2 » by Sharkboy242 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:33 pm

Just going to repost this here. Strong trigger warning for Jokic haters. Very powerful stuff here folks

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=nCf1dqFmVqltN2Kkw_MfCg
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#3 » by p0peye » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Eyetoma vote is in.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#4 » by eyeatoma » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:49 pm

Lol at the top post making a call to advanced stats heads.

Based on current performance, here is my top 5.

1. Embiid - Leading league in scoring. After starting the season 1-3, Sixers have gone 18-9. Sixers on a 7 game win streak, and just had a 20 point comeback against the clippers. Embiid has missed a total of 8 games. Big if, for him to stay healthy, can't miss more than 3 more games for the ROS, which seems quite hard, but we shall see. At this point, he's my number 1.
2. Giannis - Slightly worse on offense, equal or better on defense. Bucks are a top 2 team, but they have been middling the last month or so. People keep talking about Embiid's missed games, but Giannis has already misssed 6.
3. Tatum - Started the season hot, but fell back. Celtics are 4-6 in the last 10.
4. Durant - Been very impressive this season. Putting up MVP numbers, and has the Nets on an 8 game win streak. However he is injury prone, and so is Kyrie and Ben. Can they stay healthy the rest of the season?
5. Jokic - Best advanced stats, PER not as good as last year, but creeping up there. Tied for 1st in the west. An MVP outsider IMO, as he's not won a ring, and no 3 time MVP has ever not won a ring, let alone made the NBA finals.
6. Doncic - Mavs are not good, their roster might be worse than the Nuggets. Similar record to what the Nuggets had last year, but they are currently sitting at 8th. Also, advanced stats are very good, but not Jokic level, who was at an all time high last year.
Sharkboy242
Veteran

Post#5 » by Sharkboy242 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:57 pm

eyeatoma wrote:Lol at the top post making a call to advanced stats heads.

Way more objective and based in reality than anything you’d ever utter. Like i said in the previous thread: if Embiid tops Jokic on that list ill call him the MVP. Until then you can keep handicapping Jokic to appease your feelings.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#6 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:01 am

Luka. He’s taken a huge leap impact wise. I predict the Mavs win a lot more the second half of the season. Jokic isn’t better than the field anymore like he was the prior two years. The gap has closed completely, and with voter fatigue ZERO chance he wins 3 in a row. So it’s likely going to come down to Luka, Tatum or Embiid for me.

His edge over everybody here remains shot creation. The most valuable skill for winning titles. Giannis’s toolbag for shot creation is literally sprinting full speed and jumping into people. Jokic is a wizard creator as a passer, but he’s much easier to slow down from getting his shots than Luka, and is less versatile as a scorer.

Tatum has improved a lot, but still has nagging inconsistency on offense compared to Luka. Embiid is as consistent as a scorer, but has other holes like playmaking and has multiple guys in the league that cause him problems defensively.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#7 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:13 am

ClipsFanAgain wrote:Luka. He’s taken a huge leap impact wise. I predict the Mavs win a lot more the second half of the season. Jokic isn’t better than the field anymore like he was the prior two years. The gap has closed completely, and with voter fatigue ZERO chance he wins 3 in a row. So it’s likely going to come down to Luka, Tatum or Embiid for me.

His edge over everybody here remains shot creation. The most valuable skill for winning titles. Giannis’s toolbag for shot creation is literally sprinting full speed and jumping into people. Jokic is a wizard creator as a passer, but he’s much easier to slow down from getting his shots than Luka, and is less versatile as a scorer.

Tatum has improved a lot, but still has nagging inconsistency on offense compared to Luka. Embiid is as consistent as a scorer, but has other holes like playmaking and has multiple guys in the league that cause him problems defensively.

What about Embiid's defense?

Not sure why people value MVP by offense only. And his passing is much improved, averaging a career high in assists. His efficiency is up, blocks up, FG/FT percentage up, and is leading the league in scoring and has his team on. Embiid is also probably top 2-3 in defense this year, with his team 2nd in defense.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#8 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:13 am

Sharkboy242 wrote:

Way more objective and based in reality than anything you’d ever utter. Like i said in the previous thread: if Embiid tops Jokic on that list ill call him the MVP. Until then you can keep handicapping Jokic to appease your feelings.

Yeah has nothign to do with the fact that it props your boy up. What' sthe point of all these advanced stats, and being the stats king, when you can't get past the WCF?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#9 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:17 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:Luka. He’s taken a huge leap impact wise. I predict the Mavs win a lot more the second half of the season. Jokic isn’t better than the field anymore like he was the prior two years. The gap has closed completely, and with voter fatigue ZERO chance he wins 3 in a row. So it’s likely going to come down to Luka, Tatum or Embiid for me.

Not sure why people value MVP by offense only. And his passing is much improved, averaging a career high in assists. His efficiency is up, blocks up, FG/FT percentage up, and is leading the league in scoring and has his team on. Embiid is also probably top 2-3 in defense this year, with his team 2nd in defense.

I don’t mean he’s struggling on defense. I’m saying he has multiple matchups around the league like Horford and Brook Lopez, who really give him problems. Luka has zero counters. Hell I’ve watched Jokic get stopped multiple times too scoring wise. He will still beat you with the pass… but Luka is the only guy in the entire NBA that no player or team can slow down. No matter the game plan.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#10 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:23 am

ClipsFanAgain wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I don’t mean he’s struggling on defense. I’m saying he has multiple matchups around the league like Horford and Brook Lopez, who really give him problems. Luka has zero counters. Hell I’ve watched Jokic get stopped multiple times too scoring wise. He will still beat you with the pass… but Luka is the only guy in the entire NBA that no player or team can slow down. No matter the game plan.
Ben Simmons has locked down Luka multiple times.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Sharkboy242
Veteran

Post#11 » by Sharkboy242 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:23 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:

Yeah has nothign to do with the fact that it props your boy up. What' sthe point of all these advanced stats, and being the stats king, when you can't get past the WCF?

Yeah, the math really props my boy up, that’s right. Funny how much these metrics offend you despite the fact they give every NBA player and equal chance.

personal numbers aside: Jokic has 19 wins and Embiid has 14.
itsxtray
Junior
And1: 394

Post#12 » by itsxtray » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:27 am

I liked Steph earlier in the season when i thought the warriors could turn it around so his play alone was enough but as was stated in the previous thread: historically, if you miss 10+ games, thats it.

Steph has missed 7 already and will miss at least the next 2 weeks, he's disqualified imo. Embiid is my #2 right now but he can't miss 3 more games the rest of the season and idk if that'll happen. Giannis has missed 6 so he's close as well, hopefully everyone can finish the season healthy.

Question for the board. If all the other top candidates miss 10+ games except Jokic which "unofficial rule" would be disregarded? Jokic winning 3 without having a chip? Or a player missing 10+ games winning mvp?
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#13 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:28 am

Sharkboy242 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:Way more objective and based in reality than anything you’d ever utter. Like i said in the previous thread: if Embiid tops Jokic on that list ill call him the MVP. Until then you can keep handicapping Jokic to appease your feelings.

Yeah, the math really props my boy up, that’s right. Funny how much these metrics offend you despite the fact they give every NBA player and equal chance.

Answer my question though. Why isn't he in the finals yet if he's so good. Y'all going to award him three MVPs and he hasn't gotten past the WCF? If he's that good he should make the finals. Instead he throws tantrums and gets ejected.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#14 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:29 am

itsxtray wrote:I liked Steph earlier in the season when i thought the warriors could turn it around so his play alone was enough but as was stated in the previous thread: historically, if you miss 10+ games, thats it.

Steph has missed 7 already and will miss at least the next 2 weeks, he's disqualified imo. Embiid is my #2 right now but he can't miss 3 more games the rest of the season and idk if that'll happen. Giannis has missed 6 so he's close as well, hopefully everyone can finish the season healthy.

Question for the board. If all the other top candidates miss 10+ games except Jokic which "unofficial rule" would be disregarded? Jokic winning 3 without having a chip? Or a player missing 10+ games winning mvp?
Good question. I'm sure the media will find a way to give it to him lol.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#15 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:29 am

eyeatoma wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

In the past yea, but I wouldn’t say locked up to the degree Embiid has been stopped by Horford or Lopez in the playoffs. Luka is also much better now than 2 years ago. Luka still averages like 27 ppg on 46/34 shooting splits against him.

eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#16 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:30 am

Sharkboy242 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:Way more objective and based in reality than anything you’d ever utter. Like i said in the previous thread: if Embiid tops Jokic on that list ill call him the MVP. Until then you can keep handicapping Jokic to appease your feelings.

Over his career Embiid has a higher winning percentage than Jokic.

Sharkboy242
Veteran

Post#17 » by Sharkboy242 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:32 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Answer my question though. Why isn't he in the finals yet if he's so good. Y'all going to award him three MVPs and he hasn't gotten past the WCF? If he's that good he should make the finals. Instead he throws tantrums and gets ejected.

Because he hasn’t played alongside an all star yet.

Why hasn’t Embiid reached the ECF playing alongside multiple all stars and playing elite level defense?
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#18 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:32 am

ClipsFanAgain wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
ClipsFanAgain wrote:

In the past yea, but I wouldn’t say locked up to the degree Embiid has been stopped by Horford or Lopez in the playoffs. Luka is also much better now than 2 years ago. Luka still averages like 27 ppg on 46/34 shooting splits against him.
Embiid by no means is the same player that met Horford in the playoffs. His 3 runner up seasons and he's a mid range king. Different from the low post king previous to that. Also Philly has never faced the Bucks in the playoffs.

AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,627

Post#19 » by AleksandarN » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:32 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:

How about getting to conference final like Embiid.. oh wait.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#20 » by eyeatoma » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:33 am

Sharkboy242 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:Yeah, the math really props my boy up, that’s right. Funny how much these metrics offend you despite the fact they give every NBA player and equal chance.

Because he hasn’t played alongside an all star yet.

Why hasn’t Embiid reached the ECF playing alongside multiple all stars and playing elite level defense?
Murray had 50 twice in the bubble. Those are all star numbers.

Return to The General Board