Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs!

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,484

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#541 » by 165bows » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:18 pm

He shooting 30% from 3 yet or no?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#542 » by UcanUwill » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:35 pm

165bows wrote:He shooting 30% from 3 yet or no?

29.6% , 5.4 attempts per game , shorter 3 point line. He has that Josh Smith offense selection.
tonyreyes123
Starter
And1: 739

Post#543 » by tonyreyes123 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:55 pm

The lottery is going to be hilarious when there’s a conspiracy on why every team is going to win. I think he ends up on the Wizards, that market needs a kickstart
Bucks tricked me into being a diehard in 2001, LeBron is the 2nd best player ever, and pizza is awesome.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#544 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:41 am

Read on Twitter
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,485

Post#545 » by whitehops » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:14 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

29.6% , 5.4 attempts per game , shorter 3 point line. He has that Josh Smith offense selection.

it's impressive that he's not a non-shooter at his size but from a unicorn prospect you'd hope for better shooting. porzinigis shot 36% from 3 in his euro career, just to compare.

wembanyama's finishing inside and overall skills otherwise are better than kristaps' as a prospect but i think there's a very real possibility he is more of a porzingis-level player than one of the truly elite players in the nba. it's still great to add a porzingis-level player if you can but setting the expectation that he will be your saviour (like with the pistons) might be a little optimistic.

or maybe i'm just trying to make myself feel better in the 86% chance the pistons don't win the lottery.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 2,938

Post#546 » by damanick10 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:48 pm

I have a feeling he will be a bit of a let down in the future. Good player but not some generational demi god like we are hyping him up to be. I'm kind of stupid tho so I could be wrong.
Exp0sed
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,516

Post#547 » by Exp0sed » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:08 pm

whitehops wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

it's impressive that he's not a non-shooter at his size but from a unicorn prospect you'd hope for better shooting. porzinigis shot 36% from 3 in his euro career, just to compare.

wembanyama's finishing inside and overall skills otherwise are better than kristaps' as a prospect but i think there's a very real possibility he is more of a porzingis-level player than one of the truly elite players in the nba. it's still great to add a porzingis-level player if you can but setting the expectation that he will be your saviour (like with the pistons) might be a little optimistic.

or maybe i'm just trying to make myself feel better in the 86% chance the pistons don't win the lottery.

his shot has transformed in very short time and multiple credible accounts about his work ethic and uncanny ability to learn and implement quickly coupled with his eagerness to improve

he's very young and even 2 years ago his skill set was considerbly worse than it is now

he doesn't need to master all kinds of quick and weird releases smaller player need to master in order to get their shot off in tight situations
he'll shoot over u no matter who u are, i'll wager in 2-3 years and after a couple of years of NBA level training - he will be a good shooter

not the best obviously but not a 30% big by any means
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#548 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:57 pm

Exp0sed wrote:
whitehops wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

his shot has transformed in very short time and multiple credible accounts about his work ethic and uncanny ability to learn and implement quickly coupled with his eagerness to improve

he's very young and even 2 years ago his skill set was considerbly worse than it is now

he doesn't need to master all kinds of quick and weird releases smaller player need to master in order to get their shot off in tight situations
he'll shoot over u no matter who u are, i'll wager in 2-3 years and after a couple of years of NBA level training - he will be a good shooter

He takes far more difficult shots than Kristaps did, for good and for bad. His shooting is not as bad as his shot selection. Either way he is god tier defensively at a very least, and offensively, at age 18-19, he is already playing like hes been NBA's first option for 5 years, maybe not a good one, but he is a teenager.

In Europe, just no one really plays like him, or even capable of, for the most part. Beside Wemby, the best player in Europe and the best NON NBA player in the world is probably Vazenkov, right, and he scored 300 points in the Euroleague so far, on 28 dribbles... Thats just classic. Even highest not NBA level is team game, because those levels just do not have players who can just iso and create good offense on regular basis. Wemby is not from that mold, his talent level way exceeds the level he plays in, he is one of those guys who is given ISO freedom and he is already capable of creating space and hitting shots, he is not the best finisher yet, but potential is absurd. And yes, he does play on a team thats basically his vanity project, but they winning games, ASVEL now IMO look like morons how they used this guy last year, he is easily best player in France right now. Baring injury, he will be far better than Kristaps IMO. Personally, even last year when I yet not believed he will be offensive threat at all, I thought his defense will be so absrurdly good, that he can be one of those 14 ppg. MVP candidates. He is basically if Bill Russell was born in 2002 and grew up in this era of ball, just think about that.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,186

Post#549 » by D.Brasco » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:29 am

damanick10 wrote:I have a feeling he will be a bit of a let down in the future. Good player but not some generational demi god like we are hyping him up to be. I'm kind of stupid tho so I could be wrong.

What might kill the hype is if he turns out to be injury prone. I'd say at his height and play style it might actually be surprising if he's not somewhat injury prone.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#550 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:42 am

Read on Twitter

This was from an all star game today but still :lol:
a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Post#551 » by a-French-Fan » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:11 am

He said that he didn't understand why he won ASG MVP trophy instead of Juhann Begarin, and then Begarin Published a pic with the trophy in his hands and he says "thanks Wenby for the trophy"
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
TheWitcher
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,195

Post#552 » by TheWitcher » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:56 pm

whitehops wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yeah, I think you’re just trying to make yourself feel better. :lol:

He’s one of those you have to see it to understand it. Porzingis can only wish he had 1/2 of Wemby’s talent and projection. Two different planets man.
The Master
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,493

Post#553 » by The Master » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:36 am

TheWitcher wrote:Yeah, I think you’re just trying to make yourself feel better. :lol:

He’s one of those you have to see it to understand it. Porzingis can only wish he had 1/2 of Wemby’s talent and projection. Two different planets man.

Yeah. The only advantage Porzingis had as a prospect is his shooting percentages, but Wemby's mechanics are great for a big man and he's actually at 80%FT with solid volume already, what's some nice development considering his early struggles in that. And this whole percentage advantage is probably more related to volume and shot selection considering Wemby's usage.

Wembanyama has much higher defensive projection, as well he's just easily a tier better offensive prospect, Porzingis has never been decent in creating offense for teammates nor great in creating shots for himself - Wembanyama shows some above average passing potential, his handles are great for his size, his footwork on iso is great as well.
Guy
Sixth Man
And1: 356

Post#554 » by Guy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:00 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:
whitehops wrote:

He takes far more difficult shots than Kristaps did, for good and for bad. His shooting is not as bad as his shot selection. Either way he is god tier defensively at a very least, and offensively, at age 18-19, he is already playing like hes been NBA's first option for 5 years, maybe not a good one, but he is a teenager.

In Europe, just no one really plays like him, or even capable of, for the most part. Beside Wemby, the best player in Europe and the best NON NBA player in the world is probably Vazenkov, right, and he scored 300 points in the Euroleague so far, on 28 dribbles... Thats just classic. Even highest not NBA level is team game, because those levels just do not have players who can just iso and create good offense on regular basis. Wemby is not from that mold, his talent level way exceeds the level he plays in, he is one of those guys who is given ISO freedom and he is already capable of creating space and hitting shots, he is not the best finisher yet, but potential is absurd. And yes, he does play on a team thats basically his vanity project, but they winning games, ASVEL now IMO look like morons how they used this guy last year, he is easily best player in France right now. Baring injury, he will be far better than Kristaps IMO. Personally, even last year when I yet not believed he will be offensive threat at all, I thought his defense will be so absrurdly good, that he can be one of those 14 ppg. MVP candidates. He is basically if Bill Russell was born in 2002 and grew up in this era of ball, just think about that.

Yes sure, if we focus on the "what if's" and "potential" argument there would never be an end to this. Either he's raw or he's not, and potential doesn't count. Luka is the greatest recent example of this. He improved year by year, certainly, but in just his rookie year he was absolutely dominating. That's what I consider a generational talent. Will Wembanyama have that immediate impact?
Raptors Board

Lord_Zedd wrote:That was the best worst game I've ever seen in a long time.

The Bulls are forever our fathers
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#555 » by UcanUwill » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:04 am

Guy wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Exp0sed wrote:

Yes sure, if we focus on the "what if's" and "potential" argument there would never be an end to this. Either he's raw or he's not, and potential doesn't count. Luka is the greatest recent example of this. He improved year by year, certainly, but in just his rookie year he was absolutely dominating. That's what I consider a generational talent. Will Wembanyama have that immediate impact?

Luka was best player in Europe at age 19. It is harder to say the same for Victor as he is not playing against the best teams, he is only paying domestically, but he probably is best player in Europe now, some might argue even more obviously than Luka. Also, with no hindsight bias, I would guess Victors game looks like it should translate better in the NBA, he is one of those rare players like Giannis who looks like he will be even better on NBA court. So yeah, I would guess he will be a very good NBA player as soon as November 2023.

With every 18 year old, there will be potential talks. But guys like Bender, Hartenstein or Pokusevski had only potential, they were
European scrubs. Both Luka and Victor are/were absolutely dominating Euro vets as teennagers. SO yeah, Victor has one of the greatest potential ceilings ever, but also he is already pretty polished and capable of dominating. He is high floor high ceiling guy.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#556 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Jan 1, 2023 5:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:In Europe, just no one really plays like him, or even capable of, for the most part. Beside Wemby, the best player in Europe and the best NON NBA player in the world is probably Vazenkov, right, and he scored 300 points in the Euroleague so far, on 28 dribbles... Thats just classic.

Vezenkov is one of my favorite players, and I love the way he shoots the ball, but Micic is the best player in EuroLeague. It isn't even debatable.

UcanUwill wrote:Luka was best player in Europe at age 19. It is harder to say the same for Victor as he is not playing against the best teams, he is only paying domestically, but he probably is best player in Europe now, some might argue even more obviously than Luka. Also, with no hindsight bias, I would guess Victors game looks like it should translate better in the NBA, he is one of those rare players like Giannis who looks like he will be even better on NBA court. So yeah, I would guess he will be a very good NBA player as soon as November 2023.

With every 18 year old, there will be potential talks. But guys like Bender, Hartenstein or Pokusevski had only potential, they were
European scrubs. Both Luka and Victor are/were absolutely dominating Euro vets as teennagers. SO yeah, Victor has one of the greatest potential ceilings ever, but also he is already pretty polished and capable of dominating. He is high floor high ceiling guy.

Luka was top 3-4 player in Europe at age 19. He was in the discussion, but he wasn't clearly the best. Wembanyama is obviously better at age 18 than Luka was. We will see how he compares at age 19.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#557 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jan 1, 2023 8:24 pm

I would have gotten Luka's MVP to DeColo, narrative plays a factor even in Euroleague, and that helped Luka get his, but I would say he was top 2 player, not top 3-4, but ok. At the end, he won everything I believe, so it is really hard putting anyone over him at that point, but it is justifiable.

Wemby is just different thought, it is sad he left Euroleague, but what he does, it is hard picturing that not translating to any level. Luka had doubters and it was understandable honestly, you should have worried how well he does if guarded by PG13 or Kawhi or likes of that. But with Wemby, he is 7'4 who can cross over anyone, there isn't a person in the NBA who could guard him, maybe Giannis, but he almost never defends best opposing players anyway. Wemby to borrow a term - built different, I was so wrong on his offensive potential honestly, I cringe over some comments I made of him, and it is not like I wasnt positive,
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#558 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jan 2, 2023 5:37 am

I hope he goes to OKC, they can trade some picks for players and be contenders from day 1.
Quite the freak parade with Wemby, Holmgren and Poku
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,462
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#559 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jan 3, 2023 3:46 am

Wobble for Wemby
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Gordon
Rookie
And1: 161

Post#560 » by Gordon » Tue Jan 3, 2023 4:05 pm

After watching his last few games, i am convinced he is most overrated prospect of last 10 years. He is nowhere near the level of prospect Lebron or Davis was. He is slow, weak and has Westbrook like percentages from outside. I would rather have Bol Bol them him.

Return to The General Board