Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,691

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#581 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Spoiler, game winning put back slam to beat his former (and Euroleague) team - Asvel. His rim protection and overall ability above the rim is insane.

LOL, he has to duck in order to dunk sometimes...
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,152

Post#582 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:51 pm

Gordon wrote:After watching his last few games, i am convinced he is most overrated prospect of last 10 years. He is nowhere near the level of prospect Lebron or Davis was. He is slow, weak and has Westbrook like percentages from outside. I would rather have Bol Bol them him.

I feel this is the same description of Doncic coming out of Europe as well.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#583 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:50 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Gordon wrote:After watching his last few games, i am convinced he is most overrated prospect of last 10 years. He is nowhere near the level of prospect Lebron or Davis was. He is slow, weak and has Westbrook like percentages from outside. I would rather have Bol Bol them him.

With the benefit of hindsight, surely you can see that Bagley was the better choice :lol:

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,691

Post#584 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:28 am

anatomicbomb wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

With the benefit of hindsight, surely you can see that Bagley was the better choice :lol:

The draft is a box of chocolates, same with European players as it is with Americans

At least we know this is a big @ss chocolate at 7'4"
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,158

Post#585 » by Childs » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:25 pm

When I hear about over 7 foot players, it always makes me worried about longevity of those players
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,603

Post#586 » by scrabbarista » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:43 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

The draft is a box of chocolates, same with European players as it is with Americans

That's the kind of post that could get you fired if you worked for ESPN.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#587 » by Pachinko_ » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:09 am

How about **** ESPN?
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,152

Post#588 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:55 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

That's the kind of post that could get you fired if you worked for ESPN.

but get you prime time on fox news
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,520

Post#589 » by KGtabake » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:16 am

This guy will average over 4 blocks per game in his rookie season. I don't know what else he will do but I'm certain about his rim protection. His anticipation, awareness, instincts mixed with his physique makes him elite already on that department.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#590 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:15 am

Would Gobert be an MVP candidate if he could shoot and dribble a little? There's your answer, and what the whole fuss is about.
Rapsin6
Pro Prospect
And1: 912

Post#591 » by Rapsin6 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:00 pm

Childs wrote:When I hear about over 7 foot players, it always makes me worried about longevity of those players

This seems to be a common concern but there’s been a whole whack of players who had full careers compared to guys who haven’t. Shaq had a lot of weight coming down on those knees over his career. KAJ and Duncan were built similar and look how long they played.
"Ball"
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#592 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:06 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

I get that this is kind off true, but I still hate this type of mindset, because it implies it is plain gamble, while it really isnt, these basketball minds paid huge money to project these players, and every player is difeerent and is proven differently. Dragan Bender was a complete scrub in Israel, Wemby will be MVP in France, you can't equalize them both as same pieces of random chocolate.
It is hard to project any player jumping levels, developing in the future and all that, but there is science behind it, its not a pachinko machine, nu pun intended.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#593 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:33 pm

Interesting first quarter vs Dijon, they are all in his jersey and getting physical. Not allowing rolls not letting him catch on the p n pops. It'll be fun to see how his team and he reacts in the second half
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#594 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:28 am

UcanUwill wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:
anatomicbomb wrote:

I get that this is kind off true, but I still hate this type of mindset, because it implies it is plain gamble, while it really isnt, these basketball minds paid huge money to project these players, and every player is difeerent and is proven differently. Dragan Bender was a complete scrub in Israel, Wemby will be MVP in France, you can't equalize them both as same pieces of random chocolate.
It is hard to project any player jumping levels, developing in the future and all that, but there is science behind it, its not a pachinko machine, nu pun intended.

You hate it because it ruins everyone's favourite game, which is to argue about the draft and have something to do in the summer.

But it is the truth. You basically said it yourself, to think you can predict the development and mental fortitude of a teenager after you relocate him and shower him with money and fame is kinda delusional. But it is fun to try, I get it, so don't mind me and keep playing :D
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#595 » by bravor » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:13 pm

Just for the fun, the block he had on Hrovat (notorious flopper here, but nothing to do with the curreny play) at 1'30ish is highly enjoyable

Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 5,737

Post#596 » by Exp0sed » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:40 pm

bravor wrote:Just for the fun, the block he had on Hrovat (notorious flopper here, but nothing to do with the curreny play) at 1'30ish is highly enjoyable

damn, that Livingston-esque fadeaway in the post is unguardable
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#597 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:36 am

I think it will be key for whichever team he ends up on to encourage him to shoot as much as possible from day 1. He won't be a good shooter by nba standards right away but the more you let him have confidence early on the more it will pay off later as he improves. If he ends up being a good shooter then he will have the most unstoppable shot in the league.
Vox Populi
Junior
And1: 197

Post#598 » by Vox Populi » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:29 pm

So who are the future "Wemby stoppers"? Any early favorites for the role?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,537

Post#599 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:58 pm

Read on Twitter

You know you long when you cant fit inside basketball dressing room
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#600 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:54 am

you can almost hear his hair brushing the ceiling
ffffsssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the other ridiculous video was when he was introduced to AD, there were a couple of rows of people sitting between them, so they both kinda leaned forward and shook hands from like 10 feet away LOL

7 footers are just ridiculous

Return to The General Board