NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,877
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 6 

Post#121 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:57 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Good for Francis

The more high profile guys leave the UFC, the better it is for the sport of MMA in general

i mean. Maybe after a certain point, but Francis leaving now to go fight.... who? There is nothing interesting for him outside of the UFC, and none of the other big names are going to leave to fight him, so we lose as fans.

I think it sucks all around. He's a mega talent, and just an overall presence. I love the guy in and out of the octagon and hope it goes well for him.

Hopefully he just takes some time to make some big money, then comes back on a mega 1 fight deal or something.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#122 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:33 pm

Dana implying Francis came to them and said he just doesn't want to fight this level of competition anymore is just asinine. A slap in the face of the fans.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#123 » by Susan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:09 pm

No matter what he does, eyeballs will follow Francis.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,502

Post#124 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:59 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Good for Francis

The more high profile guys leave the UFC, the better it is for the sport of MMA in general

i mean. Maybe after a certain point, but Francis leaving now to go fight.... who? There is nothing interesting for him outside of the UFC, and none of the other big names are going to leave to fight him, so we lose as fans.

I think it sucks all around. He's a mega talent, and just an overall presence. I love the guy in and out of the octagon and hope it goes well for him.

Hopefully he just takes some time to make some big money, then comes back on a mega 1 fight deal or something.

It sucks for the UFC fans but I think most reasonable MMA fans want the best for the fighters and that includes Francis doing what he thinks is best (financially) for himself, his team and his family. I'm not sure what his supposed deal with hte UFC is like but it's entirely possible as Mehar mentioned that he could fight one big high profile boxing bout and essentially make what he may have earned over a couple of years with the UFC. The mma/boxing industry is probably as wide as ever (likely since Pride/Affliction days) with BKFC, PFL, Bellator, whatever Jake Paul is doing and there's real money options out there.

Yes I would've loved to watch him take on Jones in a heavyweight title fight on the biggest stage (UFC) but I've been an MMA fan long enough that I've become far more sympathetic towards fighters leaving the UFC for hopefully greener pastures than killing themselves for peanuts on the UFC sponsorship model for my entertainment.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Susan
RealGM

Post#126 » by Susan » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 pm

At this point - this whole probe is worth it's own thread IMO. This has the potential to bring the whole UFC down IMO.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#127 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:28 pm

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/1/17/23559496/francis-ngannou-explains-why-he-passed-on-ufc-deal-for-free-agency-in-that-contract-im-not-free

Now-former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou said he wanted a new three-fight contract he expected to finish in one year before a turn to professional boxing.

Ngannou estimated the new deal would pay him “around” $8 million to fight Jon Jones at UFC 285. He then expected to complete trilogy with Stipe Miocic and then rematch Jones before his move to boxing, where high-dollar matchups with Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua loomed.

But there was a sticking point that ultimately killed the deal: Ngannou didn’t want the standard UFC contract.

“In that contract, I’m not free,” he said. “I’m not an independent contractor. I have no rights. I hand over all the power to you guys. I’ve seen in the past how you guys can utilize your power against me, and I don’t want that.”

In an extended interview on Tuesday’s The MMA Hour, Ngannou went in-depth on negotiations with the UFC that led to his nearly unprecedented departure from the promotion as a champion, his response to UFC President Dana White’s claims about his exit, and his plans for the future as one of the most valuable free agents in MMA history.

Ngannou is adamant that he made the right choice to depart the UFC. While he doesn’t rule out a possible return to the promotion, he said it must be under his terms, which at this point potentially include permission to solicit outside sponsors, health insurance and a fighter advocate at the promotion’s negotiating table.

“I know that I did everything right,” he said. “I don’t have any regrets. I wouldn’t do anything different if I had to do it again.”

Ngannou said his last message with the UFC came one week prior when the promotion told him it had to move on with the heavyweight division. But he had not budged from his position that he needed certain concessions that went above and beyond the UFC’s standard deal, which he felt left him without any leverage in future negotiations. He wanted a contract that couldn’t be extended beyond the three fights he had agreed to so he could fulfill his desire to box, which he said the promotion had no interest in.

“They didn’t want anything to do with boxing,” he said. “They were like, if, and only if, and in good faith, and I’m like, I’m not betting on that.”

The discussion took place over the phone and involved UFC COO Hunter Campbell and matchmaker Mick Maynard. But Ngannou sensed that White was also in the room when talks took place.

Of the specific value of the deal, which White previously said made “The Predator” the highest-paid heavyweight in UFC history, Ngannou said he couldn’t be sure because he couldn’t verify what he was being told.

“It’s all their narrative, which is their narrative, and it can’t be proven,” he said. “I wish it could work. I really do. I really wanted, but not at any cost.”

Ngannou said he prepared to compromise on several of his requests. He didn’t expect that the UFC would agree to health insurance, particularly for all fighters on the roster, which he initially requested. He felt that there was long-term value for him even if the UFC didn’t grant all of his demands.

“I just wanted them to know it was something I did want, and consider it,” he said. ”They said no, they don’t know business like that.”

“At this point, health insurance for me is not a problem, but how about the guys at the bottom,” he added. “They can’t really afford health insurance. And I have been there, so it’s something I carry in my heart.”

At a certain point, Ngannou said he felt a hard pivot in negotiations when he said Campbell declared, ‘This is it. Let’s work this out.’”

Ngannou’s answer was still no. And he knew from there on out, things would be different with the UFC.

“At some time, I feel like I was slapped in the face by money, like, ‘Take the money and shut up.’ And that couldn’t happen.

“It was just a matter of principle, and at that time, I knew this was it. They didn’t say on the phone, ‘This is what’s going to happen,’ but I knew.”

When the heavyweight champ saw a poster advertising a heavyweight title fight between Jones and his former teammate and one-time opponent, Ciryl Gane, at UFC 285, it didn’t come as a surprise. He said he shut off his phone, which by that time had started to buzz with questions from media outlets.

Speaking to reporters this past Saturday, White confirmed the heavyweight title fight and made a series of dubious claims about Ngannou’s desire to fight top opposition and to be a UFC fighter. There was even a throwaway comment about the champ’s weight, which the exec said was north of 300 pounds.

“At some point, I stopped watching it,” replied Ngannou, who said he’s near his usual walk-around weight of 275. “‘Bulls***.’”

Ngannou said he doesn’t take personally the attacks from his promoter. They were just a symptom of the current situation and the end result of a relationship that began to sour, he said, when he requested to renegotiate his contract on a fight-by-fight basis.

“Dana is Dana,” Ngannou said. “I don’s care about what he says. Dana cannot hurt me. From where I come from, I have heard a lot worse than that, and I’m still here. ... What I know is that I’m here, and I have a good future.

“He’s upset. He’s not happy about this situation. He saw his champion go away, which is something that probably never happened.”

Asked for comment on Ngannou’s MMA Hour interview, a UFC official told MMA Fighting, “Nothing more outside of Dana speaking about it on Saturday.”

During negotiations, Ngannou said execs cited Randy Couture as a cautionary tale of what happened when fighters tried to break free of the UFC. So he asked Couture directly.

Couture in 2007 declared he was retired and would pursue free agency in hopes of getting a fight with then-top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. Later, Couture said he spent a half-million dollars fighting the UFC in court, only to return to the fold and fight Lesnar for the undisputed title.

White said the promotion had released Ngannou from his contract and matching period that allowed it to counter offers from other promotions. But Ngannou said he was a free agent in early December, and in any event, the UFC could never match the offer he really wanted.

“Nobody releases me,” he said. “I’ve been free since Dec. 9 or 13, but the only reason I didn’t go public was in respect of our conversation. I wanted to respect that and not talk about it. But I’ve been a free agent since.”

With a new UFC deal in his rearview mirror, Ngannou said he’s open to soliciting offers from MMA and boxing promoters. He’s going it alone after his previous manager, Marquel Martin, was getting “attacked” at the CAA agency’s combat division, which was later shuttered amid a back-and-forth with the UFC.

“People were still trying to come after him,” Ngannou said. “We are in the business where people don’t like you if you do your job. At some point, you’ve just got to kiss the ring.”

Ngannou said he would have been ready to fight Jones in March, despite a serious knee injury that required surgery after he hobbled through a winning fight with Gane at UFC 270.

Now, he’ll look for a new deal in hopes of returning to action by July. What does he want in his next contract?

“I think I just need some respect, more respect at least,” he said. “It’s very important. I need some freedom. I need to feel like a man, own my freedom, control my destiny. I don’t want anybody to decide for me. I think I’m man enough to decide for my own, and so far, I haven’t been doing a bad job at all.”

I think Francis absolutely approached it like a professional.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#128 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:13 am

lilfishi22 wrote:https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/1/17/23559496/francis-ngannou-explains-why-he-passed-on-ufc-deal-for-free-agency-in-that-contract-im-not-free

Now-former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou said he wanted a new three-fight contract he expected to finish in one year before a turn to professional boxing.

Ngannou estimated the new deal would pay him “around” $8 million to fight Jon Jones at UFC 285. He then expected to complete trilogy with Stipe Miocic and then rematch Jones before his move to boxing, where high-dollar matchups with Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua loomed.

But there was a sticking point that ultimately killed the deal: Ngannou didn’t want the standard UFC contract.

“In that contract, I’m not free,” he said. “I’m not an independent contractor. I have no rights. I hand over all the power to you guys. I’ve seen in the past how you guys can utilize your power against me, and I don’t want that.”

In an extended interview on Tuesday’s The MMA Hour, Ngannou went in-depth on negotiations with the UFC that led to his nearly unprecedented departure from the promotion as a champion, his response to UFC President Dana White’s claims about his exit, and his plans for the future as one of the most valuable free agents in MMA history.

Ngannou is adamant that he made the right choice to depart the UFC. While he doesn’t rule out a possible return to the promotion, he said it must be under his terms, which at this point potentially include permission to solicit outside sponsors, health insurance and a fighter advocate at the promotion’s negotiating table.

“I know that I did everything right,” he said. “I don’t have any regrets. I wouldn’t do anything different if I had to do it again.”

Ngannou said his last message with the UFC came one week prior when the promotion told him it had to move on with the heavyweight division. But he had not budged from his position that he needed certain concessions that went above and beyond the UFC’s standard deal, which he felt left him without any leverage in future negotiations. He wanted a contract that couldn’t be extended beyond the three fights he had agreed to so he could fulfill his desire to box, which he said the promotion had no interest in.

“They didn’t want anything to do with boxing,” he said. “They were like, if, and only if, and in good faith, and I’m like, I’m not betting on that.”

The discussion took place over the phone and involved UFC COO Hunter Campbell and matchmaker Mick Maynard. But Ngannou sensed that White was also in the room when talks took place.

Of the specific value of the deal, which White previously said made “The Predator” the highest-paid heavyweight in UFC history, Ngannou said he couldn’t be sure because he couldn’t verify what he was being told.

“It’s all their narrative, which is their narrative, and it can’t be proven,” he said. “I wish it could work. I really do. I really wanted, but not at any cost.”

Ngannou said he prepared to compromise on several of his requests. He didn’t expect that the UFC would agree to health insurance, particularly for all fighters on the roster, which he initially requested. He felt that there was long-term value for him even if the UFC didn’t grant all of his demands.

“I just wanted them to know it was something I did want, and consider it,” he said. ”They said no, they don’t know business like that.”

“At this point, health insurance for me is not a problem, but how about the guys at the bottom,” he added. “They can’t really afford health insurance. And I have been there, so it’s something I carry in my heart.”

At a certain point, Ngannou said he felt a hard pivot in negotiations when he said Campbell declared, ‘This is it. Let’s work this out.’”

Ngannou’s answer was still no. And he knew from there on out, things would be different with the UFC.

“At some time, I feel like I was slapped in the face by money, like, ‘Take the money and shut up.’ And that couldn’t happen.

“It was just a matter of principle, and at that time, I knew this was it. They didn’t say on the phone, ‘This is what’s going to happen,’ but I knew.”

When the heavyweight champ saw a poster advertising a heavyweight title fight between Jones and his former teammate and one-time opponent, Ciryl Gane, at UFC 285, it didn’t come as a surprise. He said he shut off his phone, which by that time had started to buzz with questions from media outlets.

Speaking to reporters this past Saturday, White confirmed the heavyweight title fight and made a series of dubious claims about Ngannou’s desire to fight top opposition and to be a UFC fighter. There was even a throwaway comment about the champ’s weight, which the exec said was north of 300 pounds.

“At some point, I stopped watching it,” replied Ngannou, who said he’s near his usual walk-around weight of 275. “‘Bulls***.’”

Ngannou said he doesn’t take personally the attacks from his promoter. They were just a symptom of the current situation and the end result of a relationship that began to sour, he said, when he requested to renegotiate his contract on a fight-by-fight basis.

“Dana is Dana,” Ngannou said. “I don’s care about what he says. Dana cannot hurt me. From where I come from, I have heard a lot worse than that, and I’m still here. ... What I know is that I’m here, and I have a good future.

“He’s upset. He’s not happy about this situation. He saw his champion go away, which is something that probably never happened.”

Asked for comment on Ngannou’s MMA Hour interview, a UFC official told MMA Fighting, “Nothing more outside of Dana speaking about it on Saturday.”

During negotiations, Ngannou said execs cited Randy Couture as a cautionary tale of what happened when fighters tried to break free of the UFC. So he asked Couture directly.

Couture in 2007 declared he was retired and would pursue free agency in hopes of getting a fight with then-top heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko. Later, Couture said he spent a half-million dollars fighting the UFC in court, only to return to the fold and fight Lesnar for the undisputed title.

White said the promotion had released Ngannou from his contract and matching period that allowed it to counter offers from other promotions. But Ngannou said he was a free agent in early December, and in any event, the UFC could never match the offer he really wanted.

“Nobody releases me,” he said. “I’ve been free since Dec. 9 or 13, but the only reason I didn’t go public was in respect of our conversation. I wanted to respect that and not talk about it. But I’ve been a free agent since.”

With a new UFC deal in his rearview mirror, Ngannou said he’s open to soliciting offers from MMA and boxing promoters. He’s going it alone after his previous manager, Marquel Martin, was getting “attacked” at the CAA agency’s combat division, which was later shuttered amid a back-and-forth with the UFC.

“People were still trying to come after him,” Ngannou said. “We are in the business where people don’t like you if you do your job. At some point, you’ve just got to kiss the ring.”

Ngannou said he would have been ready to fight Jones in March, despite a serious knee injury that required surgery after he hobbled through a winning fight with Gane at UFC 270.

Now, he’ll look for a new deal in hopes of returning to action by July. What does he want in his next contract?

“I think I just need some respect, more respect at least,” he said. “It’s very important. I need some freedom. I need to feel like a man, own my freedom, control my destiny. I don’t want anybody to decide for me. I think I’m man enough to decide for my own, and so far, I haven’t been doing a bad job at all.”

I think Francis absolutely approached it like a professional.

Sharing the link on my Facebook, thanks.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#129 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:48 am

I love this

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/1/17/23558386/matt-brown-francis-ngannou-isnt-scared-anyone-dana-white-knows-lot-people-will-buy-anything-he-says

Matt Brown: Francis Ngannou ‘isn’t scared of anyone’ but Dana White knows a lot of people will ‘buy into anything’ he says

Francis Ngannou likely had a myriad of reasons behind his decision to exit the UFC and test free agency but being scared of tough competition wasn’t among them.

While UFC president Dana White didn’t go as far as using a word like afraid when addressing Ngannou, he did state that in his opinion the defending heavyweight champion was “in a place right now where he doesn’t want to take a lot of risk” while adding that he was in a “good position where he could fight lesser opponents and make more money.”

Considering Ngannou already holds wins over three of the top five heavyweights in the UFC rankings, it seems dubious at best that he would suddenly try to avoid top competition. UFC welterweight Matt Brown scoffs at the idea that Ngannou is trying to avoid anybody but he also understands the narrative White is trying to create with what he’s saying.

“If you think of politicians or Dana [White] speaking, you’re speaking to the lowest common denominator here,” Brown said on The Fighter vs. The Writer. “You’re not speaking to the people that are educated.

“You’re speaking to the casuals. Those are the people you’re pandering to the most when you’re saying stuff like that. A lot of them probably believe it to be honest. They’ll buy into anything because they don’t know the ins and outs of it.”

Brown hopes that knowledgeable fans of the sport will disregard White’s comments regarding Ngannou’s decision to leave the UFC but he also understands a lot of people will probably regurgitate those same talking points whether it’s true or not.

“It’s very similar to how politicians say different things,” Brown explained. “They’re just saying things that the mainstream mass people are going to buy into.

“Those who really know, know Francis isn’t scared of anyone. We’ll have listeners on here that will understand and they’ll listen to us and say they’re right. But there’s millions of other people out there who will buy it.”

In reality, Brown says that offering theories about some fighters avoiding better competition might work but he doesn’t see how anyone could reasonably buy that where Ngannou is involved.

“That narrative worked for other guys for sure, whether it was true or not, we could maybe buy into it a little bit,” Brown said. “With Francis Ngannou it’s like wait a minute. This dude just beat the best heavyweights in the world.

“Did you see what he did to Alistair Overeem? I don’t think he’s scared of anyone. He beat Stipe [Miocic] handily. Come on, man. I don’t think anybody’s buying into that for Francis.”

As far as the impact of Ngannou actually leaving the UFC, Brown argues that it’s probably the biggest loss the promotion has ever suffered.

Ngannou was not only the reigning and defending UFC heavyweight champion but he’s still in the prime of his career, which means he’s got a lot of time left to make a huge impact wherever he fights next.

The UFC has failed to keep champions in previous instances but the last time that happened was all the way back in 2004 when B.J. Penn was stripped of the welterweight title after he left the organization and signed with K-1. Now almost 20 years later, Ngannou becomes just the fourth champion to leave the UFC over a contract dispute.

“I can’t think of a bigger loss,” Brown said. “I think Francis is either in his prime or very close to his prime. He’s the champion. He smashed the top guys in his weight class. I can’t think of anyone [who was a bigger loss].”

There’s no word yet where Ngannou might land, although he’ll undoubtedly have a lot of suitors vying for his attention now that he’s free to work with anybody he chooses.

Brown can’t speak for Ngannou but he knows this move allows him to control his own destiny with hopes that he’ll be able to find even more success outside the UFC.

“He knows in the UFC, this is his only option — he’s got to fight the next toughest guy and that’s how you make money and however much they’re able to pump up the next guy is however much money he can make,” Brown said. “Now at least he has options.

“If he goes out there and does some great things, he can be one of the wealthiest athletes in the world. If he goes out and loses or something, of course, his stock will go down and it won’t be that much. It seems to me that he’s betting on himself here. He thinks he’s going to go do some great things and he wants to have that availability to do that.”
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am

It's more funny that Dana is trying to say Francis ran from Jon, because when he was all in on Francis and upset with Jon's contract demands, he was saying Jon didn't want to fight Francis, and should think of moving to 185.

Francis leaving is a massive fail on their part just to keep the status quo.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#131 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:16 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:It's more funny that Dana is trying to say Francis ran from Jon, because when he was all in on Francis and upset with Jon's contract demands, he was saying Jon didn't want to fight Francis, and should think of moving to 185.

Francis leaving is a massive fail on their part just to keep the status quo.

Dana is talking directly to this demo.

This is the demographic of UFC fans that don't know/don't care about anything outside of the UFC and once a fighter is out of the UFC, they are basically dead to them. Dana has a platform and knows his audience will not only buy the narrative he spins but wholeheartedly believes it, including fighters leaving the UFC being scared to fight or that he literally can't be punished for slapping his wife. Unsurprisingly, a percentage of fighters are also of that mindset.
Susan
RealGM

Post#132 » by Susan » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Print that money gentlemen.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#133 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:49 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Print that money gentlemen.

Rooting for Ngannou to get that $$$.
Susan
RealGM

Post#134 » by Susan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter

trash.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#135 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:13 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

trash.

$2k and $2k is a joke
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#136 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:24 pm

Embarrassing.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:49 am

Francis vs Tyson with 4 oz gloves in a cage boxing match is way more interesting and appealing to buy than watching a regular old boxing match with one guy being way overmatched.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#138 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:07 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Francis vs Tyson with 4 oz gloves in a cage boxing match is way more interesting and appealing to buy than watching a regular old boxing match with one guy being way overmatched.

I love that Francis gets to make bank outside of the UFC but does anyone here think he's anything more than an average boxer at best? Like we already saw Tyson vs Wilder and Wilder would likely look like a boxing savant compared to Francis
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:40 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Francis vs Tyson with 4 oz gloves in a cage boxing match is way more interesting and appealing to buy than watching a regular old boxing match with one guy being way overmatched.

I love that Francis gets to make bank outside of the UFC but does anyone here think he's anything more than an average boxer at best? Like we already saw Tyson vs Wilder and Wilder would likely look like a boxing savant compared to Francis

Not at all. But at least the 4 0z gloves and ring make the spectacle way different, and it's out of Fury's comfort zone more than big gloves and a ring. Would at least be fun. I like that they are getting paid, but watching boxers lure MMA fighters into boxing and then claiming intersport dominance is extremely annoying.

I don't think Wilder is much more than an MMA fighter in terms of boxing skill either though. He's basically only shown a big right hand if he has space to load it up and uncork it, and his ability to walk through fire and take a beating is as good as anyone.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#140 » by Dupp » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:14 am

Doubt these special stipulations happen if the fight even happens but if they do Francis should try push barefoot.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts