2023 trade deadline (February 9)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Re: 2023 trade deadline 

Post#161 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:42 am

Pattycakes wrote:This trade works, charlotte take all the picks you need to make this equal if you feel stiffed - Rozier, Oubre, Plumlee for Nurk, Hart, Little and Winslow.

Can they trade a FRP? With the Bulls having it up until 28 where it can convey to a second round, I think they are unable to trade a FRP until it does convey or it at least to have a number of conditions, and it again looks like it very well may not convey this year. Or they drop the protection (bad idea)
Soonercrazy84
Freshman
And1: 74

Post#162 » by Soonercrazy84 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:50 am

Im on the John Collins to OKC bus.....but for a first rounder hmmmmm

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#163 » by Pointgod » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:26 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
giberish wrote:
To do what, exactly?

Trade them for other expiring contracts? Or take on longer salary that gets in the way of their cap space plan(/fantasy) for minor upgrades?

Yes trade them for to teams looking to clear capspace and want to pick up an additional second round pick or for a contributing player with a longer salary. It won’t ruin the capspace fantasy because you can just trade for a player in a sign and trade while you have another pick to offer in the summer. It makes no sense to not even do a minor upgrade when the Lakers are 2 games out of the 6th seed and DONT EVEN HAVE THEIR PICK this season. Get Bron some more firepower. Trading Beverly and Nunn allows the Lakers to take back up to 23 million in salary. That puts you in the salary range of some really good players.

Who is looking to clear cap space though... the theory is sound but it is not a year that teams are looking to run and free up space particularly. Granted matching 23 million is easier than Russ's salary which is near impossible, I just don't know who a logical partner would be?

I think Charlotte, Detroit, Spurs, Houston and the rest of the tankers could all clear capspace and take on some picks, even if it’s second round picks. Teams like New York have Rose rotting on the bench, Detroit has Noel and Burks who can be moved. There are deals out there if the Lakers are willing to take on salary and pay luxury tax, even if they’re just taking back more money on expiring contracts.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Post#164 » by rocketsfan100 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:41 pm

Doug McDermott is a low key good target for a contender looking for a shooter.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,398

Post#165 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 am

Pointgod wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Yes trade them for to teams looking to clear capspace and want to pick up an additional second round pick or for a contributing player with a longer salary. It won’t ruin the capspace fantasy because you can just trade for a player in a sign and trade while you have another pick to offer in the summer. It makes no sense to not even do a minor upgrade when the Lakers are 2 games out of the 6th seed and DONT EVEN HAVE THEIR PICK this season. Get Bron some more firepower. Trading Beverly and Nunn allows the Lakers to take back up to 23 million in salary. That puts you in the salary range of some really good players.

Who is looking to clear cap space though... the theory is sound but it is not a year that teams are looking to run and free up space particularly. Granted matching 23 million is easier than Russ's salary which is near impossible, I just don't know who a logical partner would be?

I think Charlotte, Detroit, Spurs, Houston and the rest of the tankers could all clear capspace and take on some picks, even if it’s second round picks. Teams like New York have Rose rotting on the bench, Detroit has Noel and Burks who can be moved. There are deals out there if the Lakers are willing to take on salary and pay luxury tax, even if they’re just taking back more money on expiring contracts.

Rose I think gets cut after the trade deadline and will be a buyout signing for someone. Bucks and Noel neither are exciting nor really much of an upgrade imho and not worth taking on salary or assets. A guy like Hayward… feels icky to take that on too. The lakers absolutely should not give up any more assets imho. Not for players like that. Hold onto the, for the offseason likely and make different moves. All that does 8s kick the can in down the line even longer and put them in more asset (not luxury tax) debt. The mistake was made with a guy like Caruso honestly that was being too cheap. They corner they are painted in though they just make the situation worse imho.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach

Post#166 » by rocketsfan100 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:58 pm

A team offerd three firsts of OG? Toronto has to be atleast thinking about it. Because I feel they should be to looking to start a rebuild with Barnes and three first rounders is a hell of a start. Their ceiling is not a title with Van fleet, Siakam and guys like Trent Junior.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#167 » by djsunyc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:33 pm

rocketsfan100 wrote:A team offerd three firsts of OG? Toronto has to be atleast thinking about it. Because I feel they should be to looking to start a rebuild with Barnes and three first rounders is a hell of a start. Their ceiling is not a title with Van fleet, Siakam and guys like Trent Junior.

if the 3 firsts are from bucks, boston, or some other good team with heavy protection, then it's not worth it.

not all firsts are created equal.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#168 » by baldur » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:45 pm

djsunyc wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:A team offerd three firsts of OG? Toronto has to be atleast thinking about it. Because I feel they should be to looking to start a rebuild with Barnes and three first rounders is a hell of a start. Their ceiling is not a title with Van fleet, Siakam and guys like Trent Junior.

if the 3 firsts are from bucks, boston, or some other good team with heavy protection, then it's not worth it.

Og is a role player. Why would Detroit, Houston or spurs give 3 first rounders for og? To become a treadmill team?

Getting 3 first rounders is crazy enough for og. Siakam is a superstar, Barnes is future all star, Nick nurse is a top 3 coach, og is the best defender and worth 5 picks. Then why the hell raptors suck big time?
djsunyc
RealGM

Post#169 » by djsunyc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:58 pm

i'm not here to debate what teams will offer. i'm just saying if 3 first rounders were offered, then you'll need to know what those first rounders were. b/c if they weren't good, then you keep og and pay him b/c he's still a good player that can fit any team in the league.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#170 » by baldur » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:08 pm

djsunyc wrote:i'm not here to debate what teams will offer. i'm just saying if 3 first rounders were offered, then you'll need to know what those first rounders were. b/c if they weren't good, then you keep og and pay him b/c he's still a good player that can fit any team in the league.

Nobody knows how that team would perform in 2027 though. Right?

You are just taking your chances. If you think og is a star player, you must admit the fact that those picks shouldn't be lottery picks.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#171 » by HangTime » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:37 pm

djsunyc wrote:

I wonder if it's New York, with the 3 picks that they obtained from OKC for the 11th pick.
ChumboChappati
Junior
And1: 248

Post#172 » by ChumboChappati » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:46 am

definitely a lie, no GM is stupid enough to offer 3 firsts for OG only
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach

Post#173 » by rocketsfan100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 am

ChumboChappati wrote:

Yeah three first rounders is usually reserved for superstars.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#174 » by whatisacenter » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:58 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:
ChumboChappati wrote:

It only takes 1 team

Read on Twitter
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach

Post#175 » by rocketsfan100 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:01 am

whatisacenter wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:
ChumboChappati wrote:definitely a lie, no GM is stupid enough to offer 3 firsts for OG only

It only takes 1 team

Read on Twitter

I think given how things turned out most GMs are not going to repeat the Wolves blunder. Set a precedent on what not to do
djsunyc
RealGM

Post#176 » by djsunyc » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:34 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:Yeah three first rounders is usually reserved for superstars.

It only takes 1 team

Read on Twitter

I think given how things turned out most GMs are not going to repeat the Wolves blunder. Set a precedent on what not to do

nets/boston deal was 10 years ago. history repeats itself.
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#177 » by KingFox » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:34 am

whatisacenter wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:
ChumboChappati wrote:definitely a lie, no GM is stupid enough to offer 3 firsts for OG only

It only takes 1 team

Read on Twitter

:nonono:
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Post#178 » by JRoy » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:24 am

Pattycakes wrote:This trade works, charlotte take all the picks you need to make this equal if you feel stiffed - Rozier, Oubre, Plumlee for Nurk, Hart, Little and Winslow.

The solution to PORs problems, especially on defense, is not to swap out best big for an inferior career backup and another tiny chucker to say nothing for a low IQ player in Oubre. This is a lotto pick short.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#179 » by NetsWorld » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:52 pm

JRoy wrote:

The solution to PORs problems, especially on defense, is not to swap out best big for an inferior career backup and another tiny chucker to say nothing for a low IQ player in Oubre. This is a lotto pick short.

The question I have is when will Portland decide it's time to move on from this roster? They did the same thing last year and waited it out until next season and here we are almost February and they are still struggling. It's time for a rebuild.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#180 » by 165bows » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:41 pm

OG: Top 10 in the league in minutes played
RealGM: He's a role player

Return to The General Board