Most Memorable regular season performance since 81?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Black star
Junior
And1: 538

Most Memorable regular season performance since 81? 

Post#1 » by Black star » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:06 am

We all know that Kobe's 81 point explosion was an edge of your seat unbelievable night that people still talk about to this day. The rise of these inflated stats and ever increasing apathy towards the regular season means those flashbulb moments for all of NBA fandom are even rarer than they used to be.

With that being said, what do you think is the most memorable regular season single game performance since that game?

My choice would be the 2016 Warriors vs Thunder OT game. An epic duel between two contenders, multiple allstars, playoff atmosphere, and Steph draining increasingly ridiculous threes all night. The game ending in a Steph Curry three pointer from the logo in a tie game with virtually no time left felt like the perfect encapsulation of both that magical Warriors 73 win season and Steph's otherworldly unanimous MVP campaign. I feel like I'll never forget that game.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,321

Re: Most Memorable regular season performance since 81? 

Post#2 » by Bolivar » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:21 am

Black star wrote:We all know that Kobe's 81 point explosion was an edge of your seat unbelievable night that people still talk about to this day. The rise of these inflated stats and ever increasing apathy towards the regular season means those flashbulb moments for all of NBA fandom are even rarer than they used to be.

With that being said, what do you think is the most memorable regular season single game performance since that game?

My choice would be the 2016 Warriors vs Thunder OT game. An epic duel between two contenders, multiple allstars, playoff atmosphere, and Steph draining increasingly ridiculous threes all night. The game ending in a Steph Curry three pointer from the logo in a tie game with virtually no time left felt like the perfect encapsulation of both that magical Warriors 73 win season and Steph's otherworldly unanimous MVP campaign. I feel like I'll never forget that game.

The box score of that 81 point game is hilarious indeed https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/260122013
That could have been 100+ points in some inflated 2020s 150-135 game.

I'd nominate Klay's 37 points in a quarter. It was bit of a gimmick and the team was feeding him like crazy and having fun with it but it was like regular season and that Warriors team in a nutshell.
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,230

Post#3 » by payton2kemp » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:24 am

was it? did people end up watching that game live against the Raptors, or just followed the statline.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#4 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:06 am

Robinson's quadruple double for me.
Black star
Junior

Post#5 » by Black star » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:47 am

therealozzykhan wrote:was it? did people end up watching that game live against the Raptors, or just followed the statline.

I didn't watch it live because at the time watching a random Lakers Raptors game live wasn't an option for me but I absolutely watched his whole game later and was in awe of how simple he made scoring such a ridiculous amount look. So I'm not sure how many watched it live but I don't imagine many people back then only looked at the statline and didn't follow up checking out how he did it.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,718

Post#6 » by DonaldSanders » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:53 am

Black star wrote:My choice would be the 2016 Warriors vs Thunder OT game. An epic duel between two contenders, multiple allstars, playoff atmosphere, and Steph draining increasingly ridiculous threes all night. The game ending in a Steph Curry three pointer from the logo in a tie game with virtually no time left felt like the perfect encapsulation of both that magical Warriors 73 win season and Steph's otherworldly unanimous MVP campaign. I feel like I'll never forget that game.

That's the most memorable regular season play for me all time, I have trouble picking just one game for all time though with so many options. It is also Mike Breen's best call, if there is one thing I knock him for it is that he doesn't let loose emotionally enough on his calls, but you can really hear him fully letting go and fully into it. Curry was 12-16 from 3 that night, 46 points on 24 shots.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/400828761
Black star
Junior

Post#7 » by Black star » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:56 am

Bolivar wrote:
Black star wrote:We all know that Kobe's 81 point explosion was an edge of your seat unbelievable night that people still talk about to this day. The rise of these inflated stats and ever increasing apathy towards the regular season means those flashbulb moments for all of NBA fandom are even rarer than they used to be.

The box score of that 81 point game is hilarious indeed https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/260122013
That could have been 100+ points in some inflated 2020s 150-135 game.

I'd nominate Klay's 37 points in a quarter. It was bit of a gimmick and the team was feeding him like crazy and having fun with it but it was like regular season and that Warriors team in a nutshell.

Oh yeah that was an insane one too. The pre-Durant Warriors had some crazy regular season moments. That's a great choice.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#8 » by TheLand13 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:16 am

This one doesn’t belong on any list for craziest all time performance but I’ll never forget Kevin Loves 34 point quarter. He was honestly the last guy I would’ve expected to put up a quarter like that given how his tenure in Cleveland had been up to that point. It was a reminder for a lot of Cleveland fans that Love was still an elite offensive player at the time. I’m glad he was an all star that season, even if he ended up not playing in it.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#9 » by Egg Nog » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:50 am

Phreak50 wrote:Robinson's quadruple double for me.

The OP meant "since Kobe scored 81", not "since 1981"
Phreak50
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:08 am

Egg Nog wrote:

The OP meant "since Kobe scored 81", not "since 1981"

Ahhh. Damn blame my old age!
One Last Shot
Sixth Man
And1: 2,683

Post#11 » by One Last Shot » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 am

After Kobe's 81, it should be his final game with 60 points performance, the best retirement game and single regular season game ever for me, that legendary night of Kobe overshadowed the 73-win game of the Warriors the same day. Basketball fans around the world celebrate Kobe in his final game.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Phreak50 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:09 am

Edit: misinterpreted '81

I might go with Kevin Love's 34 point first quarter since I watched it live and was pretty impressed.
turnmeup88
Junior
And1: 315

Post#13 » by turnmeup88 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:10 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
Black star wrote:My choice would be the 2016 Warriors vs Thunder OT game. An epic duel between two contenders, multiple allstars, playoff atmosphere, and Steph draining increasingly ridiculous threes all night. The game ending in a Steph Curry three pointer from the logo in a tie game with virtually no time left felt like the perfect encapsulation of both that magical Warriors 73 win season and Steph's otherworldly unanimous MVP campaign. I feel like I'll never forget that game.

That's the most memorable regular season play for me all time, I have trouble picking just one game for all time though with so many options. It is also Mike Breen's best call, if there is one thing I knock him for it is that he doesn't let loose emotionally enough on his calls, but you can really hear him fully letting go and fully into it. Curry was 12-16 from 3 that night, 46 points on 24 shots.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/400828761

The moment Curry drained that shot, and if watched live, is to me Peak Steph Curry. I know it's not as important as his chips, or what he did in the playoffs last year, but it was just exclamation point on Steph changing the game for good. Clearly is the one performance non-playoff that sticks with me as well.
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,195

Post#14 » by antonac » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:34 am

I would agree with the OP. It felt like the Warriors, and Curry in particular, were playing basketball from another planet at that point and were just unbeatable when they wanted to be, because they could do ****ing magic. I've never really seen anything like it, it will be weird when that season is a decade old, it still feels like yesterday.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#15 » by JN61 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:09 pm

Okc vs warriors game is a good one. It is a true classic.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Post#16 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:07 pm

This Cavs-Spurs game in 2015 was nasty. Kyrie man.

mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,913

Post#17 » by mudsak » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:14 pm

I can't say for certain which single performance was the most memorable... Could have have been one of Westbrooks crazy double-double games in his MVP year... could have been Millsap pouring in 46pts to beat the Heatles... that was a pretty crazy performance at the time. Could be Mitchell's game a couple weeks ago.

But the single craziest regular season game I've ever seen was this insane duel between Durant and DWill... I was at the game... Double overtime... I was lucky enough to be at that game... best non-playoff game I've ever seen by a mile.

PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#18 » by PMONSTER » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:16 pm

Rose dropping 50 on Halloween.

Jeff Teague should’ve been on the bench for the rest of the season after that.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,088

Post#19 » by Bornstellar » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:16 pm

Double OT game Spurs @ Thunder in 2019. LMA dropped 56 points. Russ had 24 assists. Final score 147 to 154. Great game
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,515

Post#20 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:56 pm

Kobe´s 60 points in his last game
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to The General Board