Dok

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Dok 

Post#1 » by mudsak » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:07 pm

I feel like there's a decent chance Olynyk and Vando are both moved at the deadline. Do you guys think there's a possibility Dok actually gets some minutes at backup during the 2nd half of the season?

I know most everyone is pretty down on him as a player. I'd imagine he's been pretty much checked out mentally as well. I just always thought he had a really unique toolset to work with. He's fkn huge... and freakishly athletic. He's also never really had an opportunity to log any consistent playing time. In that sense I don't think he's ever really had a fair shot to display what he can do.

If we make significant moves at the deadline I think it makes a ton of sense to invest in Dok from a minutes standpoint at least until the end of the season. See if there's actually something there worth anything. The worst case is he's terrible and that's the end of the discussion, but it's no big deal since we're fine with losses rn. Best case is he starts to piece it together and becomes worth either keeping/trading.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Dok 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:23 pm

The Jazz already declined their option on Dok so he's going to be a UFA and the Jazz don't have control over him anymore so his value in trades, even if he shows improvement, is minimal.

He's a sunk cost at this point.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/10/jazz-to-decline-rookie-scale-options-for-azubuike-bolmaro.html
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#3 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:25 pm

I try to not be too down on our local players, but Azabuke is terrible. He's not an NBA player, and will never get a 2nd NBA contract, IMO. "He's fkn huge... and freakishly athletic", yet in an actual NBA game gets nothing accomplished with those physical assets. (If the Jazz staff saw anything in him, then he'd be getting minutes with Olynyk out.)

If the Jazz can get rid of him, they need to cut their losses and be thankful. I'd rather see Potter get minutes than Dok. Sorry, I know it's harsh, but he looks lost, unengaged and without skill any time he's on the court.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#4 » by TNJazz » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:48 pm

When Don was drafter, there were high hopes and quite a bit of hype. He has had some injuries, but when available, he seems uninterested and unmotivated. I am sure his agent and others around him hav instilled in hi that he belongs and just needs to go to another team where his talents will be appreciated. I agree with zero, not an NBA player. He's just a big dude with some athletic skills but doesn't seem ready for the rigors of NBA life and will probably end of not being picked up once his current contract runs out. Another bad pick in a long list under the former GM.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#5 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:59 pm

I agree with Mudsak that we haven't given Dok any opportunity to play meaningful rotation minutes this season. I haven't seen him enough to conclude that he isn't an NBA player, but I also agree with Inigo that since he will be a free agent, there isn't a lot of point in the Jazz going out of their way to try to develop him the rest of the season. And he has very low trade value right now.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#6 » by FJS » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:18 pm

As we are playing right now, I think we should have given him minutes.

There's a massive hole when Kessler is in the bench in rebounding. The sensation when Walker & Lauri are in the bench is nobody is going to take the rebound, and opponent grab a lot of offensive rebounds.

Maybe playing Dok would have been different, at least vs the teams who have a traditional big.
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#7 » by Fido » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 pm

He has had 2 and a half years to earn some playing time. In the NBA you earn your time before you get it and so far he hasn't shown the ability to push for minutes. I expect he will finish out the year and be dropped from the roster as a free agent this offseason.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#8 » by dautjazz » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:54 pm

Unfortunately for Dok I think he needs to go to another league. Quite frankly he's wasting his time in the NBA, he doesn't get any burn here, and when he does he looks quite bad. In another league he can regain confidence, then maybe down the line give the NBA another shot, like Whiteside did.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#9 » by CAE15 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:54 am

Dok really needs to commit to his conditioning if he wants to carve out a role in this league. I don't buy that he won't get a 2nd contract. Someone will kick the tires
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#10 » by pickIBL » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am

I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#11 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:44 pm

mudsak wrote:I feel like there's a decent chance Olynyk and Vando are both moved at the deadline. Do you guys think there's a possibility Dok actually gets some minutes at backup during the 2nd half of the season?

I know most everyone is pretty down on him as a player. I'd imagine he's been pretty much checked out mentally as well. I just always thought he had a really unique toolset to work with. He's fkn huge... and freakishly athletic. He's also never really had an opportunity to log any consistent playing time. In that sense I don't think he's ever really had a fair shot to display what he can do.

If we make significant moves at the deadline I think it makes a ton of sense to invest in Dok from a minutes standpoint at least until the end of the season. See if there's actually something there worth anything. The worst case is he's terrible and that's the end of the discussion, but it's no big deal since we're fine with losses rn. Best case is he starts to piece it together and becomes worth either keeping/trading.

Dok looked good in his 18 minutes in the victory over the Kings last night, scoring 13 points on 6 fga, along with grabbing 8 rebs, including 2 orebs. Dunn and Dok were our leading scorers in Q4 with 7 points a piece. Coach Hardy was very complimentary of Dok in the post game interview, saying that Dok has been working very hard in practice to be ready to play.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by zero24gravity » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:23 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
mudsak wrote:I feel like there's a decent chance Olynyk and Vando are both moved at the deadline. Do you guys think there's a possibility Dok actually gets some minutes at backup during the 2nd half of the season?

Dok looked good in his 18 minutes in the victory over the Kings last night, scoring 13 points on 6 fga, along with grabbing 8 rebs, including 2 orebs. Dunn and Dok were our leading scorers in Q4 with 7 points a piece. Coach Hardy was very complimentary of Dok in the post game interview, saying that Dok has been working very hard in practice to be ready to play.

I'm far from a Dok fanboy, but I was thinking the same. Perhaps the best he's ever looked in a real NBA game. Not sure what made Hardy go with Dok over Jones, but it was certainly a good call, at least for 1 game.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:35 am

He finally looks in shape

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#14 » by Jammer » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:00 pm

Although Azubuike will be an Unrestricted Free Agent because the Jazz declined their $3,923,483 Team Option in October,
the Jazz could still offer Azubuike any amount up to $3,923,483 because the Jazz have his Bird Rights and Cap Room.

The Jazz could even offer a multi-year deal (say 2 years, with a raise in the 2nd year)
if the Jazz don't anticipate drafting or signing a Center that they expect to be as good.
zero24gravity
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by zero24gravity » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:40 pm

Jammer wrote:Although Azubuike will be an Unrestricted Free Agent because the Jazz declined their $3,923,483 Team Option in October,
the Jazz could still offer Azubuike any amount up to $3,923,483 because the Jazz have his Bird Rights and Cap Room.

The Jazz could even offer a multi-year deal (say 2 years, with a raise in the 2nd year)
if the Jazz don't anticipate drafting or signing a Center that they expect to be as good.

No thanks. One good game from Dok doesn't change that he's a borderline NBA player, at best (IMO). I believe D.Jones is signed through next season, plus any minimum contract vet can do just as much, if not more, than Dok. I'm still waiting to see Jazz cheerleader, Micah Potter, get some run at PF/C, as well.

Return to Utah Jazz