Is online gaming bad for NBA players?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Is online gaming bad for NBA players? 

Post#1 » by hyper316 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:11 am

Purely from my own experience, I was an avid gamer in my younger days, I spent countless hours overnight playing online games. I can see that see negative effects to lack of proper rest leading to fatigue during the day affecting school and work.

Off the top of my head, I've read Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton, Kevin Knox were some NBA players that were big into online gaming. I'd say these players havent lived up to their potential and their work ethics are highly regarded.

Is this a correlation or totally unrelated?

Edit: autocorrect having, should be havent
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,405

Re: Is online gaming bad for NBA players? 

Post#2 » by Rendei » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:34 am

Being a gamer doesn't necessarily correlate to a lack of sleep. Giannis claims to watch 8 hours of Netflix per day. These guys have time to kill.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,375

Post#3 » by svart » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:35 am

Depends on the person i guess.

I am 49, still a hardcore gamer. But i am disciplined, i always was. i don't pull all-nighters during the week. i still do it on occasions in the weekends, but i don't let it impact my work or my time with my family.

but in their case, who knows. they are young, rich, carefree, maybe in their mind is just an innocent hobby but it's ending up impacting their careers.

i have a lot of gamers friends (of course) and their behavior is very different from person to person.

i have one friend who's wife left him because he was playing destiny instead of working, but i also have people going to medicine school while gaming, without any impact on their academic life. or friends with families who are very careful using their game time, even if they are also hardcore gamers, like me.

So to summarize it, i don't think there is a right answer to your question, it depends on the personality, as it does with work ethic in general. i don't see it being more of a distraction than drinking, drugs, going to clubs to pick up ladies and so on.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,411

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:39 am

It’s better than gambling and doing drugs
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:56 am

hyper316 wrote:Purely from my own experience, I was an avid gamer in my younger days, I spent countless hours overnight playing online games. I can see that see negative effects to lack of proper rest leading to fatigue during the day affecting school and work.

Off the top of my head, I've read Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton, Kevin Knox were some NBA players that were big into online gaming. I'd say these players having lived up to their potential and their work ethics are highly regarded.

i'd say not

but there's no correlation anyway imo between bball output and gaming, and if these three are your examples of gaming and potential then they should stop gaming now.

athletes are kids at heart
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#6 » by hyper316 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:08 am

Lalouie wrote:
hyper316 wrote:Purely from my own experience, I was an avid gamer in my younger days, I spent countless hours overnight playing online games. I can see that see negative effects to lack of proper rest leading to fatigue during the day affecting school and work.

Off the top of my head, I've read Ben Simmons, DeAndre Ayton, Kevin Knox were some NBA players that were big into online gaming. I'd say these players having lived up to their potential and their work ethics are highly regarded.

i'd say not

but there's no correlation anyway imo between bball output and gaming, and if these three are your examples of gaming and potential then they should stop gaming now.

Oops autocorrected, should have read "haven't"
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,059

Post#7 » by MrBigShot » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:12 am

Online gaming isn't killing their careers. The real reason they haven't lived up to their potential is because they aren't really that passionate about basketball. Didn't DRob and Tim Duncan play dota?
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,144

Post#8 » by dygaction » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:26 am

svart wrote:Depends on the person i guess.

I am 49, still a hardcore gamer. But i am disciplined, i always was. i don't pull all-nighters during the week. i still do it on occasions in the weekends, but i don't let it impact my work or my time with my family.

but in their case, who knows. they are young, rich, carefree, maybe in their mind is just an innocent hobby but it's ending up impacting their careers.

i have a lot of gamers friends (of course) and their behavior is very different from person to person.

i have one friend who's wife left him because he was playing destiny instead of working, but i also have people going to medicine school while gaming, without any impact on their academic life. or friends with families who are very careful using their game time, even if they are also hardcore gamers, like me.

So to summarize it, i don't think there is a right answer to your question, it depends on the personality, as it does with work ethic in general. i don't see it being more of a distraction than drinking, drugs, going to clubs to pick up ladies and so on.

Those things cannot be all true at the same time :lol:
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,375

Post#9 » by svart » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:54 am

dygaction wrote:

of course they can.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#10 » by johanliebert » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:12 am

These guys practice for a few hours in the morning then have all day to nap lol. They have the time.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,189

Post#11 » by lambchop » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:58 am

Gaming definitely disrupts your rhythm, if you plan to get up early and train, but most players don't follow strict training regimens.

Also, other players have other vices, like going to strip clubs or nightclubs or sleeping with a lot of women every week which is tiring too cause guys don't want to be done after just 2 minutes and those threesomes can be demanding.

The only real argument against gaming is probably how it can effect dopamine and might numb players to the thrill of working hard and getting that delayed gratification. But you'd have to conduct a study in order to truly prove that.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,171

Post#12 » by brutalitops » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:02 am

Nah I want my players at the club and drinking till 2am instead like the good old days
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#13 » by TheLand13 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:06 am

svart wrote:
dygaction wrote:

of course they can.

Yeah they definitely can all be true. I too am an avid gamer but I don’t let it get in the way of my wife and two kids as well as my friends who I still keep in regular contact with. Gaming in fact is one of the reasons why I’m able to in the first place as it’s something we all do together at least once a month.

I understand that basketball should be the main focus for these players, but they need to have hobbies as well.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,040

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:12 pm

hyper316 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:

i'd say not

Oops autocorrected, should have read "haven't"

i think gaming keeps our minds alert. i do my retro mame games to clear the cobwebs every morning when i wake up.
but it's a different kind of gaming than the stuff i see today. maybe the three are playing zombie games.

whatever,,,if they're losing they should stop
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#15 » by slicedbread2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm

I think Andrei Kirilenko may have been a casualty due to his love of World of Warcraft being so insane that he was playing it at 3am despite having a game the following day. Tim Duncan and Channing Frye talked about it which was pretty funny. Wouldn't be surprised as AK-47's body broke down on him over time which was a shame as he was a true Swiss army knife.

Whenever I think of the gaming I think of King of the Hill where Hank got hooked:

;ab_channel=JoshHunter
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,724

Post#16 » by hauntedcomputer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:50 pm

In the old days they had to go to their second jobs before the games yet people say they underachieved.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
Letsgokings
Senior
And1: 744

Post#17 » by Letsgokings » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:58 pm

I'm a hard-core gamer. My wife yells at me all the time to get off, but I am licensed Funeral Director and embalmer so I know when I need to get my sleep so I can work efficiently.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#18 » by Karate Diop » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:57 pm

Spurs were out there playing StarCraft on the regular during the 1999 'chip run.

They even celebrated winning the 'chip by having a LAN party on the plane ride home after winning the finals :lol:
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,832

Post#19 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:08 pm

It's obviously bad for a ton of them. I don't play a lot online but have been doing it recently. I spend about 2 hours per day doing it.

I sleep and try to not let it effect my routine, the life with my family and my mood.

Unfortunately it definitely effects my mood from time to time. Trying to go for legend once in pokemon go and drop that ****. It's not healthy, will never be.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Post#20 » by God Squad » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:23 pm

MrBigShot wrote:Online gaming isn't killing their careers. The real reason they haven't lived up to their potential is because they aren't really that passionate about basketball. Didn't DRob and Tim Duncan play dota?

World of Warcraft. Or at least him and a few others. I believe Richard Jefferson, Andrei Kirilenko and Timmy D. I'd say gaming has no effect if you're disciplined and understand you have a "JOB".

Frye reveals at the 6:20 mark that he and Duncan used to play in the same World of Warcraft guild. They would stay up until 3 or 4 a.m. playing, which they called a “life-killer.” Frye revealed his character was named “Dookiedrawls” amid laughter — and here he is!

The gang also poked fun at Andrei Kirilenko’s addiction to the game. He had multiple max-level characters according to Frye, which he says “Could have been sold for $100,000 each,” though this seems impossible. Frye told a story about being up at 3 a.m. the night before a game he was going to get a “DNP” and playing WoW, before seeing Andrei Kirilenko’s character run across his screen. Frye sent him a message saying to Kirilenko “Aren’t you playing tomorrow?” and getting the response “Yeah, probably.”

We also learned that the entire 2004 Olympic team spent their time playing Call of Duty on an Xbox that Richard Jefferson brought to Athens.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/3/28/15086530/tim-duncan-world-of-warcraft-guardians-of-the-galaxy-spurs-podcast

Return to The General Board