Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,506

Re: Trade deadline thread 

Post#241 » by whitehops » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:06 am

vege wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
vege wrote:What would be the price to acquire Ruy Hachimura?

We are trying to develop equaly unimpressive prospects like Hayes, Bey, Bagley, Livers and co, might as well try to add another card to the fold.

Would a bunch of 2nds be enough?
I wouldn't mind it but the guy is terrible on defense I'm not sure he'd have a real place here

He would've costed us CoJo and 3 2nds. Could've been worth a look.

pretty sure washington made the deal because they didn't want to pay rui this coming off season, they're right up against the tax limit and they're a sub-.500 team, plus nunn is in a contract year. the lakers get a young "prospect" to prepare for life after lebron. they only have four players under contract for next season and about $35M in cap space so it's going to be really interesting to see how they balance competing and rebuilding.

i'll be honest i rarely watch the wizards but rui just seems like such an uninspiring prospect to spend three second rounders on for less than half a season (if they don't re-sign him). he's shown little tangible improvement in four years so it would literally be the marvin bagley situation all over again.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#242 » by chrbal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:27 am

vege wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
vege wrote:What would be the price to acquire Ruy Hachimura?

We are trying to develop equaly unimpressive prospects like Hayes, Bey, Bagley, Livers and co, might as well try to add another card to the fold.

Would a bunch of 2nds be enough?
I wouldn't mind it but the guy is terrible on defense I'm not sure he'd have a real place here

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app

Rui and Marvin are basically interchangeable. Except one is taller, a little younger and currently more expensive.

Not in play style necessarily, but in a lot of other ways they are. No defense, injury prone 4 who just doesn’t have a significant skill that he stands out at. Lottery pick traded from a questionable franchise for player(s) that are basically contracts at this point and a collection of second round picks.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#243 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:29 am

whitehops wrote:
vege wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I wouldn't mind it but the guy is terrible on defense I'm not sure he'd have a real place here

pretty sure washington made the deal because they didn't want to pay rui this coming off season, they're right up against the tax limit and they're a sub-.500 team, plus nunn is in a contract year. the lakers get a young "prospect" to prepare for life after lebron. they only have four players under contract for next season and about $35M in cap space so it's going to be really interesting to see how they balance competing and rebuilding.

i'll be honest i rarely watch the wizards but rui just seems like such an uninspiring prospect to spend three second rounders on for less than half a season (if they don't re-sign him). he's shown little tangible improvement in four years so it would literally be the marvin bagley situation all over again.

They won't have 35m in cap space now as Rui will have a cap hold.

I'd imagine the Wizards add Nunn via their TPE which was close to running out and create a new TPE they can roll with for 12 months.

Question now for the Wizards = are they selling or still going to remain in the middle?

Beal + KP + Kuzma means they're too good to tank and get a top 5 pick but also means they're not good enough to make the playoffs.

For LAL they get a 3/4 to throw at the wings in the West so LeBron gets the easier defensive assignment but unless AD returns and can stay relatively healthy it's a uphill battle for them.

Will they trade Westbrook for longer contracts? Charlotte is always floated as a destination. They could deal Rozier and Hayward, shut down Melo and let Russ command the tank and pad his stats.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#244 » by Canadafan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 am

Lillard for WB and both Their picks unprotected and whatever other picks they can muster up
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#245 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:17 am

Canadafan wrote:Lillard for WB and both Their picks unprotected and whatever other picks they can muster up
Can't see Portland moving Dame. Think he wants to stay there even if he ends up with zero rings

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#246 » by vege » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:11 am

chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:
mattao313 wrote:I wouldn't mind it but the guy is terrible on defense I'm not sure he'd have a real place here

Rui and Marvin are basically interchangeable. Except one is taller, a little younger and currently more expensive.

Not in play style necessarily, but in a lot of other ways they are. No defense, injury prone 4 who just doesn’t have a significant skill that he stands out at. Lottery pick traded from a questionable franchise for player(s) that are basically contracts at this point and a collection of second round picks.

I disagree. I think Bagley is bad because he is super dumb and mentally challenged. Ruy seems to me that he is bad because he doesn't like the game enough to put the effort.

I could be wrong about both of them, of course, but that's my impression. But yes, neither of them is a good prospect and they're both awful on defense, if that's what you mean.

I wouldn't mind wasting a bunch of unimportnat 2nds to see if Ruy could give us something, he is not worse than Bey, Hayes and Bagley for example.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,121

Post#247 » by NYPiston » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:53 pm

I would have taken a chance on Hachimura for three throwaway 2nds (not the Pistons 2023 2nd) and salary filler.

On another note, it looks like the Wizards are perfectly content to continue treadmilling by apparently taking Kuzma and Porzingis off the market. Is there a more directionless NBA franchise right now? Maybe Portland?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#248 » by bstein14 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm

Wizards should trade Kuzma if they can get something decent for him. He isn't a winning basketball player IMO.

As far as Dame goes, the Blazers have been trending down for a while it almost feels like Dame is trying to stage his exit. He's been good this year but he isn't making the winning plays. Blazers losing a ton of close games. They have had losses with Dame dropping 50 and 44 the past few weeks.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#249 » by chrbal » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:27 pm

vege wrote:
chrbal wrote:
vege wrote:

I disagree. I think Bagley is bad because he is super dumb and mentally challenged. Ruy seems to me that he is bad because he doesn't like the game enough to put the effort.

I could be wrong about both of them, of course, but that's my impression. But yes, neither of them is a good prospect and they're both awful on defense, if that's what you mean.

I disagree with your wording on some of that.

Either way, I’d rather the low iq guy who wants to play the game vs the guy not interested in the game he’s playing.

If we didn’t have bagley and it didn’t cost too much more then what the Lakers paid, sure I’ll take Rui. I just don’t see the benefit of him here. He’ll cost a lot or they invested some assets in a rental. I’m guessing there will be guys moved that I’d have been more interested in becoming Pistons by the end of this deadline.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#250 » by flow » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:33 pm

whitehops wrote:
vege wrote:

He's battled injuries and is on an unstable team. I like Rui's game. Would have made the same trade for him if a reasonable extension was included.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#251 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:36 pm

We don't really have the time to develop and pay a mediocre young guy like Rui. I just want more of for sure things with our money next year.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#252 » by flow » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm

MotownMadness wrote:We don't really have the time to develop and pay a mediocre young guy like Rui. I just want more of for sure things with our money next year.

Neither do the Lakers. He's not mediocre.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#253 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:34 pm

flow wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:We don't really have the time to develop and pay a mediocre young guy like Rui. I just want more of for sure things with our money next year.

I see him as a reclamation young guy, like a Bagley tier.

He'll probably get paid about the same as well.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#254 » by Sort » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:37 pm

Rui could click in the right situation. Having watched him a few times, he never impressed me over the course of the game, but certainly had moments. If he's willing to learn and work hard, it could work out, but I don't think he simply starts playing better at a new spot. We have enough dudes like him already on the Pistons. Do we need another player that occasionally has a great stat line but does not help us win games?

In terms of the Lakers, it's a nice something for basically nothing trade, but I doubt it makes any impact on their season. I hope I am wrong. I like seeing second chance opportunities work out.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#255 » by mattao313 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:07 pm

flow wrote:

I mean he kinda is what's his role a bench scorer at best? Terrible defense not a playmaker I guess he has some untapped potential, but how much is his game gonna expand?

Championships
Menace2Sobriety
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#256 » by Menace2Sobriety » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:46 pm

The Wizards stink for a reason :D and part of that is b/c of talent identification and development. Just look at the previous 5 drafts:

2022: Johnny Davis #10 (barely making an impact in G-league which was highly predictable given his lack of athleticism and NBA skill)
2021: Corey Kispert #15 (Basically Doug McDermott - destined to be a bench player his entire career)
2020: Deni Avdija #9 (I'm actually a big fan but he's being misused and suffers from confidence issues similar to Killian)
2019: Rui Hachimura #9 (Rui has a single skill really, scoring. If he's not scoring, he's not making an impact. Lacks defensive awareness...rather, fundamentally lacks a feel for the game. Not entirely his fault given his late start, but important given the Wizards drafted him at #9)
2018: Troy Brown #15 (Playing for the minimum in LA)

I live in DC and see my fair share of Wizards games - neither Rui nor Kuzma play winning basketball. I would have preferred to keep Rui and trade Kyle as he would be half the cost of Kyles new contract. The 'strategic' goal for this franchise is to make the playoffs and a profit and every decision is based on that remit...certainly not to win anything of consequence. It the worst franchise in the NBA - bar none. There's a saying on the Wizards forum: We exist to bring joy to other teams.

I'd argue the only players on the Wizards worth considering are Avdija and Porzingas...otherwise, stay away.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#257 » by vege » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:56 pm

That's what we've been doing for the 3rd year. Trying to develop mediocre young guys. So my idea was, why not add one more.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#258 » by bstein14 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:29 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
flow wrote:

I see him as a reclamation young guy, like a Bagley tier.

He'll probably get paid about the same as well.

The real reason the Wizards traded him away is because he's a FA this summer and they are planning on spending everything to keep Kuzma and Porzingas. RUI is solid and scoring 13 PPG in 24 MPG he's likely at a level slightly above Bagley. I don't think he gets more than MLE $$$, but its a similar situation of trying to get some value (2nd round picks) in order to not lose the player for nothing.

If he had one more year of a cheap rookie scale deal I'm sure Washington would have kept him.

Rui is probably a similar level player to a Diallo, Bagley, etc.... at this point at 24 he's really in a spot where he needs to take a decent step forward soon or he's going to be a career bench guy.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#259 » by chrbal » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 pm

Menace2Sobriety wrote:The Wizards stink for a reason :D and part of that is b/c of talent identification and development. Just look at the previous 5 drafts:

2022: Johnny Davis #10 (barely making an impact in G-league which was highly predictable given his lack of athleticism and NBA skill)

Has he been injured, or they just don’t trust him to play?

He almost has to play two seasons for the Wizards before getting cut, having been picked so high. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them give him away in the offseason. He somehow seems worse than Sekou Doumbouya. Like Davis might legitimately be the Wizards version of Wade Baldwin (I think the blazers drafted him late lottery and then cut before his second season.
Menace2Sobriety
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#260 » by Menace2Sobriety » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:54 am

chrbal wrote:
Menace2Sobriety wrote:The Wizards stink for a reason :D and part of that is b/c of talent identification and development. Just look at the previous 5 drafts:

Has he been injured, or they just don’t trust him to play?

He almost has to play two seasons for the Wizards before getting cut, having been picked so high. But I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see them give him away in the offseason. He somehow seems worse than Sekou Doumbouya. Like Davis might legitimately be the Wizards version of Wade Baldwin (I think the blazers drafted him late lottery and then cut before his second season.

He had a bad back in preseason and to start the season. He played a few minutes when healthy but it was very apparent he didn’t belong.

Return to Detroit Pistons