ImageImageImage

2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - Trade season continues - No player trade restrictions

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Initial thoughts on KD for Bridges, Cam, Crowder, plus picks?

Love it!
25%
Indifferent
5%
Hate it
39%
Wait and see...
31%

Total votes: 61

garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Re: 2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - Trade season continues - No player trade restrictions 

Post#421 » by garrick » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:59 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is really good news ...................right??? It'll ensure a big move?

I mean Vivek Ranadive ruined the Kings franchise for over a decade being super hands on with the franchise so hopefully Ishbia has the sense to defer to professionals.

I guess the good thing is Ishbia knows the game of basketball whereas Vivek's only experience with basketball seems to be coaching his daughters basketball team...
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,974

Re: 2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 4 - Trade season continues - No player trade restrictions 

Post#422 » by garrick » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:05 am

By Sam Amico -April 11, 2022
It’s been 16 years since the Kings made the playoffs and a source who spoke to Jason Anderson of the Sacramento Bee said the issues start with team owner Vivek Ranadive, while alleging a “toxic” work environment.Vivek Ranadive
“I’ve been on conference calls with him around the trade deadline. I think, like any successful business or organization, a lot of this stuff starts at the top,” a former member of the Kings’ basketball operations staff told Anderson.

“In an ideal situation, you hire someone you feel is qualified. You do your homework on them and then you trust that person is capable of doing the job. It’s one thing to be a fan and want to be involved from afar, but I think when you are meddling in decisions, I think the problem is you have an owner who’s too involved.”

The Kings are parting ways with interim man Alvin Gentry as coach, perhaps shifting him to the front office. Gentry replaced Luke Walton, who was fired in November.

This is nothing new in Sacramento. As Anderson relayed, the Kings have been a revolving door of coaches, general managers and players during Ranadive’s reign.

“People are not treated well,” the source told Anderson. “They’re not valued. It’s a toxic workplace where there are some super-talented people who either move on or get let go for different reasons. It’s unfortunate because I think people come with really pure intentions and want to turn it around.”

The source went on to describe the Kings’ environment as “toxic” under Ranadive, telling Anderson that those within the organization “don’t trust each other.” He added that the Kings aren’t even operating in basketball purgatory. “Basketball hell,” the source told Anderson.

The Kings finished 30-52 and are returning to the draft lottery. On the bright side, it appears the GM Monte McNair is getting the freedom to make the key decisions on his own. McNair was hired prior to the start of the 2020-21 season.

“I’ve looked people in the eye and said, ‘We know this has been a problem. Is it a problem today?’ They’re telling me it’s not,” a Kings minority owner told Anderson. “Does Vivek have the right to approve trades or give his input? Yeah, but I don’t believe Vivek is micromanaging Monte. I believe Monte is in charge and has total control.”

With all the media outrage Sarver got it's hard to believe that he's the only bad owner out there.

This article is new to me but it seems like Vivek is has a really toxic environment but he hasn't said anything non PC yet so the media has been pretty content to just not shed much light on how terrible of an owner he has been. At least this season the Kings are winning but I think that's despite of Vivek and not a reflection of how he is running that franchise.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,481

Post#423 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:06 am

Read on Twitter

This would honestly be such a cool move! :rockon: :rock:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#424 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:18 am

Read on Twitter

Hey guys! Guess what??? ............................ :wink:

I know that some people believe the Wolves wouldn't move Russell because he's an expiring or for Paul. Maybe just thinking they won't move him because (various reasons)?? But I still believe they will.
https://heatnation.com/rumors/report-heat-suns-mavericks-and-clippers-interested-in-dangelo-russell/
Report: Heat, Suns, Mavericks and Clippers interested in D’Angelo Russell
By Peter Dewey
Updated: January 25, 2023

One Western Conference executive doesn’t believe that the Wolves will keep Russell beyond this season, per Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus.

“I don’t think the Wolves reinvest in Russell,” a Western Conference executive said. “The combination of players they have just isn’t clicking.”

“If Minnesota goes in a different direction by the deadline, it would need to fill Russell’s 32.5 minutes a game,” Pincus wrote. “It’s unclear where he might land, though teams mentioned as possibilities by various NBA sources included the Heat, [Phoenix] Suns, [Dallas] Mavericks and [Los Angeles] Clippers.”

This is where we need to just bite the bullet and do this trade:

Paul/Crowder for Russell/Prince/Minott/ New York 23' 2nd.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#425 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Paul made sense but he has been playing well .. granted the last week

Crowder Shamet and Saric is the math - but not sure that he is the right long term.

Lowry makes sense
NE1Care
Junior
And1: 278

Post#426 » by NE1Care » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:32 am

If I were the new owner, the first thing I would do is ask why am I paying Crowder to not play.
Why has this gone on this long?
Demand the GM to prove his worth and resolve this ASAP with the Suns organization coming out on top and not Crowder or a competing team.
"“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,” —Theodore Roosevelt
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Post#427 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:36 am

Can't believe we are 1.5 games out of the 4 seed (who is losing), while at the same time being 1 game ahead of 11th place.
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#428 » by SkyBill40 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:42 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mark Bryant was a very decent Journeyman big man, and is a decent low end big man coach. But if you look at this clip, it doesn't really look like he's capable of challenging Ayton at the level they should be looking to do! Ayton looks like he's exerting very little effort here. It goes back to what I'm saying that I believe in order for Ayton to become truly elite and reach anywhere near his potential, They might need to really consider higher level (elite options to really challenge Ayton more and make him have to work much harder and adapt to these changes with greater effort and focus! He just needs someone that'll really make him work and sweat more. Maybe just not while sick though of course. :lol:

What I find most amazing and even before that clip plays is the height of the shoes (or really the lack thereof). I'd never play in shoes that low. That's just asking for a severely rolled ankle and I've had several despite playing with ankle support and higher coverage kicks than that.

What's passing as basketball shoes are basically bulkier runners. I just don't get it.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#429 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:49 am

BobbieL wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Paul made sense but he has been playing well .. granted the last week

Crowder Shamet and Saric is the math - but not sure that he is the right long term.

Lowry makes sense

I hear what you're saying about Paul playing well. But this is also about the long term picture here too man. And the beauty of Russell is in that he's an expiring. So we'd get to test drive him for about 6 months before making a decision on him! But would also have his bird rights (full bird I believe) to resign him IF he ends up being really good alongside of Booker! He's got more size than the other options, has iso creation ability, Is not that far off from triple double potential honestly if he just needs a change of scenery! And he's friends with Booker (keeping Book happy is important .......yes)?? What other options do you honestly like better for the contractual investment and cost to actually trade for them?? By a wide margin, it seems Russell would come the cheapest! Allowing us to still upgrade other positions as well. IF they could actually get Russell for your package premise too, that'd be great value honestly. I'm sorry man, but I'm just not seeing the downside here! Worst case scenario if by some bizarre/ miniscule chance it doesn't work out for Russell here, He's still a 30 million expiring! So in moving Paul for him, that clears his additional 15 million from our books to put towards absorbing Johnson wouldn't it??

**And Prince's deal is unguaranteed by the way. So we'd still be clearing 40 million from our books and getting a young Vanderbilt like prospect in Minott. And another draft asset in NYK's 23 ' 2nd that we could use towards cost controlled depth replenishment this summer. I could give you a number of high quality guard options even in the 2nd that could help fill the backup role or additional ballhandler/playmaker till we identify another option next season. But regardless, I'd have no doubts whatsoever that we could resign Russell on the cheap due to environment and situation along with wanting to play with Booker. It's just a smart, logical choice! :nod:
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,380

Post#430 » by sunskerr » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 am

D'Lo is alright I guess. Kinda mid if we're talking about post-Paul era championship aspirations because it seems scary to me to bet on Ayton becoming a real star. But it works better than the other options I guess? Admittedly I don't know much about Quickley who was another name mentioned, and of course Rozier and Van Vleet are like sub 40% fg% guys which is hilarious(ly bad).
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#431 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:59 am

Read on Twitter

Not bad value, But then why would Toronto want Toppin with already having Barnes, Siakim, Boucher, Young, Porter Jr, and Achiuwa already at the 4?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#432 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:00 am

I've long been a Russell hater, arguing with Kerresed about him lol. But if he was basically free for expiring contracts I'd be down to see how it looks for this next 30 games. He'd have to come off the bench but he's big enough to play in lineups with both CP and Booker.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#433 » by NapoleonII » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:01 am

Paul isn't being traded lol.

If anything with Minny happens, I could see Ayton being a part of it. Especially with Gobert just not working at all for Minny after paying a premium, Russell and Booker being tight, and Monty finally getting the center that only cleans up and rebounds.

Gobert / Russell for Ayton/Crowder/Shamet/Saric.

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Cam
Gobert

with Russell/Payne/Okogie/Craig/Biz or Jock being our bench.

It'd be a dumb trade though because Ayton's mid-range and hooks are deadly, especially in the playoffs when the 3 gets shut down, and Gobert can't play in space - he'll get eaten alive by Doncic / Jokic / Steph and the Grizzlie's shooters.

It's exactly the sort of short sighted move I'm always expecting the Suns to make.
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#434 » by sunskerr » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:05 am

NapoleonII wrote:Paul isn't being traded lol.

If anything with Minny happens, I could see Ayton being a part of it. Especially with Gobert just not working at all for Minny after paying a premium, Russell and Booker being tight, and Monty finally getting the center that only cleans up and rebounds.

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Cam
Gobert

It'd be a dumb trade though because Ayton's mid-range and hooks are deadly, especially in the playoffs when the 3 gets shut down, and Gobert can't play in space - he'll get eaten alive by Doncic / Jokic / Steph and the Grizzlie's shooters.

It's exactly the sort of short sighted move I'm always expecting the Suns to make.

I will never watch this team again if I have to see Gobert getting isolated every 4th quarter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#435 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:08 am

sunskerr wrote:D'Lo is alright I guess. Kinda mid if we're talking about post-Paul era championship aspirations because it seems scary to me to bet on Ayton becoming a real star. But it works better than the other options I guess? Admittedly I don't know much about Quickley who was another name mentioned, and of course Rozier and Van Vleet are like sub 40% fg% guys which is hilarious(ly bad).

Quickley pretty good and really improving. He's a very good young guard and becoming a really good perimeter defender too. He's also improving his playmaking too. He'd be an awesome young guard for the future, But he's currently not ready for consistent high level competition such as the playoffs yet! And New York is currently high on him so they're not likely to deal him without a generous overpay offer! Other than that though, We absolutely should be in on him as a potential core timeline consideration. He's basically a slightly better scoring/ perimeter defensive version of what we currently already have in Payne:
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=payneca01&player_id1=quickim01&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=quickim01 :-?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#436 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:12 am

NapoleonII wrote:Paul isn't being traded lol.

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Cam
Gobert

Your opinion on Paul is noted man! By the way, Paul has a much better chance of being traded than Ayton does! And Ayton especially wouldn't get traded for freaking Gobert! And that's just my counter opinion. LOL :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#437 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:15 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I've long been a Russell hater, arguing with Kerresed about him lol. But if he was basically free for expiring contracts I'd be down to see how it looks for this next 30 games. He'd have to come off the bench but he's big enough to play in lineups with both CP and Booker.

I'm sure they could figure something out to accomodate premise. :wink:
sunskerr
General Manager

Post#438 » by sunskerr » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:16 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Quickley pretty good and really improving. He's a very good young guard and becoming a really good perimeter defender too. He's also improving his playmaking too. He'd be an awesome young guard for the future, But he's currently not ready for consistent high level competition such as the playoffs yet! And New York is currently high on him so they're not likely to deal him without a generous overpay offer! Other than that though, We absolutely should be in on him as a potential core timeline consideration. He's basically a slightly better scoring/ perimeter defensive version of what we currently already have in Payne:
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=payneca01&player_id1=quickim01&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=bbr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=quickim01 :-?

Yeah that's pretty much all I've heard of him is his defense. And you know I love my defensive guards. But his shooting also is slightly better than I expected from 3. Not great but there's something to build on.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#439 » by BobbieL » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:19 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I've long been a Russell hater, arguing with Kerresed about him lol. But if he was basically free for expiring contracts I'd be down to see how it looks for this next 30 games. He'd have to come off the bench but he's big enough to play in lineups with both CP and Booker.

I'm sure they could figure something out to accomodate premise. :wink:

Shamet - so they have a contract for next year to replace DLo
Saric - cap fuller
Grayson Allen

Bucks get Crowder

Suns get DLo

Gives the Twolves two rotational players
SkyBill40
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,829

Post#440 » by SkyBill40 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:27 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not bad value, But then why would Toronto want Toppin with already having Barnes, Siakim, Boucher, Young, Porter Jr, and Achiuwa already at the 4?

Doesn't make sense unless they'd look to flip him or others right away. I wouldn't mind Toppin.

Return to Phoenix Suns