Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,552

Re: Trade Discussion 22/23 

Post#7301 » by Bob8 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:41 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:If Hardy can add a bit more defense to his game, he slots right in to replace THJ. Then there is no need to resign THJ to a fresh $80M for 4 year contract. You can trade him as an expiring for simply let him walk. Just with offense alone, I think Hardy can match THJ's scoring, so that cancels out. It's what they can bring on defense that would matter IMO. Hardy and Josh Green will eventually have big games and their numbers will eventually rise, as an effect, this would lead to a bigger contract when the time comes. So if Mavs have no plans to sign them to a bigger deal to keep them, then trading them for value is ideal.

The problem for Hardy is that he needs the ball in his hands and he won't get it with Luka and Kyrie here. You just can't play 3 high usage no D players in the same team and Hardy isn't efficient enough in comparison to other 2. Changing Kyrie for Ayton and letting Hardy play more would be the best case scenario for Mavs. Trading Hardy wouldn't bring you much anyway.

If you trade away Kyrie for a lesser dominant player, Luka will simply waive everyone off and go back to his usual dribbling for 19 seconds and do something late in the shot clock. You need a counter ballast to keep Luka in check. Kyrie has actual gravitas that Luka defers to him on some possessions including the 4th. Getting Ayton would mean Luka getting 50 point triple doubles and back to 4 other guys watching him dribble around. That might get you a lot of regular season wins but not a lot of playoff wins. Mavs have done that method for 4.5 years now.

Getting Ayton would mean to finally have real C, who can score, play D and rebound. Unfortunately Suns won't do that. Having Hardy with Luka and Kyrie is just useless, he's not efficient enough, not good enough defender and good enough spot up shooter. Giving Kyrie new contract means no cap space too. Do you really want to go in next season with no D whatsoever? Betting on Kyrie suddenly becoming dependable isn't exactly sure bet either. He doesn't even look very keen to play this season's last games.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#7302 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:46 pm

Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
The problem for Hardy is that he needs the ball in his hands and he won't get it with Luka and Kyrie here. You just can't play 3 high usage no D players in the same team and Hardy isn't efficient enough in comparison to other 2. Changing Kyrie for Ayton and letting Hardy play more would be the best case scenario for Mavs. Trading Hardy wouldn't bring you much anyway.

If you trade away Kyrie for a lesser dominant player, Luka will simply waive everyone off and go back to his usual dribbling for 19 seconds and do something late in the shot clock. You need a counter ballast to keep Luka in check. Kyrie has actual gravitas that Luka defers to him on some possessions including the 4th. Getting Ayton would mean Luka getting 50 point triple doubles and back to 4 other guys watching him dribble around. That might get you a lot of regular season wins but not a lot of playoff wins. Mavs have done that method for 4.5 years now.

Getting Ayton would mean to finally have real C, who can score, play D and rebound. Unfortunately Suns won't do that. Having Hardy with Luka and Kyrie is just useless, he's not efficient enough, not good enough defender and good enough spot up shooter. Giving Kyrie new contract means no cap space too. Do you really want to go in next season with no D whatsoever? Betting on Kyrie suddenly becoming dependable isn't exactly sure bet either. He doesn't even look very keen to play this season's last games.

You need a ballast for Luka's maturity. To be able to call him out when needed, on and off the court. Ayton would encourage Luka to play video games all night.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,552

Post#7303 » by Bob8 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:50 pm

arkuo wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You need a ballast for Luka's maturity. To be able to call him out when needed, on and off the court. Ayton would encourage Luka to play video games all night.

...and Kyrie to explore flat earth.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,950

Post#7304 » by Archx » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 pm

arkuo wrote:
Archx wrote:
leolozon wrote:
He’s not doing himself any favour by still being out of shape in his 5th year. He doesn’t take his body seriously and he’s paying for it. Meanwhile, he’s supposedly a grandmaster in a video game. Anyone wants to take a guess at how many hours he spends playing video games to be able to be that good at it?

He already has his dad's body shape :D I don't know, for some people it's more difficult to mantain great body, he's a pro athlete so in theory, he should be more in shape. But problem is, he's playing for his national team almost every year and has almost no time to rest. Every guy takes some time to heal and rehab and then when it's time to work out, he simply runs out of days to do so.

I guess a full off-season just for himself (like Jokic did), would be huge for him. The thing is, he won't have a lot of time this offseason aswell since he's AGAIN going to play for national team.(if i'm not mistaken).

Luka wants to get his flowers and be worshipped like Spanoulis. He likes the attention, the highlights, the flashy cars, that lifestyle. But he's rushing things. Part of his injury is he doesn't have an actual offseason, after the NBA, he plays in Europe then the Olympics if there is one that year. Cuban has been opposed to this before because its the NBA team who shoulders most of the risk due to injury. But I dont think Luka is mature enough to figure that part yet. For a young person, you would like the attention, the lights, the cameras. So hopefully he has a Jokic moment and actually decides to lose weight from his own initiative. His man boobs have been bouncing bad this year every time he runs. He tries to do so many things, he'll end up without an NBA ring and an olympic medal altogether.

I don't know if that's true. You rarely see him in media, he rarely posts on social platforms and is in general very quiet type who likes privacy. He has a normal house in Dallas and is with the same GF since he was a teen, they also have 3 dogs to take care of. I mean, if you're searching for a pro athlete who has the right mindset to compete, stable social life with absolutely ZERO issues and no controversy, i think you wouldn't find more perfect guys like him or Jokic or even Giannis.

Though he did say he doesn't like to work out, he just wants to play basketball. This is where some people could roll their eyes and think that he's just lazy. That would be more valid point of discussion.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7305 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:14 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Archx wrote:
He already has his dad's body shape :D I don't know, for some people it's more difficult to mantain great body, he's a pro athlete so in theory, he should be more in shape. But problem is, he's playing for his national team almost every year and has almost no time to rest. Every guy takes some time to heal and rehab and then when it's time to work out, he simply runs out of days to do so.

I guess a full off-season just for himself (like Jokic did), would be huge for him. The thing is, he won't have a lot of time this offseason aswell since he's AGAIN going to play for national team.(if i'm not mistaken).

Luka wants to get his flowers and be worshipped like Spanoulis. He likes the attention, the highlights, the flashy cars, that lifestyle. But he's rushing things. Part of his injury is he doesn't have an actual offseason, after the NBA, he plays in Europe then the Olympics if there is one that year. Cuban has been opposed to this before because its the NBA team who shoulders most of the risk due to injury. But I dont think Luka is mature enough to figure that part yet. For a young person, you would like the attention, the lights, the cameras. So hopefully he has a Jokic moment and actually decides to lose weight from his own initiative. His man boobs have been bouncing bad this year every time he runs. He tries to do so many things, he'll end up without an NBA ring and an olympic medal altogether.

I don't know if that's true. You rarely see him in media, he rarely posts on social platforms and is in general very quiet type who likes privacy. He has a normal house in Dallas and is with the same GF since he was a teen, they also have 3 dogs to take care of. I mean, if you're searching for a pro athlete who has the right mindset to compete, stable social life with absolutely ZERO issues and no controversy, i think you wouldn't find more perfect guys like him or Jokic or even Giannis.

Though he did say he doesn't like to work out, he just wants to play basketball. This is where some people could roll their eyes and think that he's just lazy. That would be more valid point of discussion.

Any guy who drives a 6x6 lifted jeep to a game, normally likes the attention.
Archx
RealGM

Post#7306 » by Archx » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:50 pm

arkuo wrote:
Spoiler:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:

You didn't see other Mavs players come to the game with new Ferrari's, etc? All athletes with money have fancy cars, i mean, why not if they can afford them lol...I'm pretty sure Dirk drove fancy cars aswell and still does.

But i still have no clue what's your problem with him. 99% of other fanbases would be happy to have a player like him, some Mavs fans want to trade him, this is such a weird situation. I bet you were happy when he carried them to WCF last year.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7307 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm

Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Spoiler:
Archx wrote:

You didn't see other Mavs players come to the game with new Ferrari's, etc? All athletes with money have fancy cars, i mean, why not if they can afford them lol...I'm pretty sure Dirk drove fancy cars aswell and still does.

But i still have no clue what's your problem with him. 99% of other fanbases would be happy to have a player like him, some Mavs fans want to trade him, this is such a weird situation. I bet you were happy when he carried them to WCF last year.

Well of course man. Luka should be fine with another star. Give it a full year with a full training camp. A guy with his IQ should be able to figure out what works and what wont.
Archx
RealGM

Post#7308 » by Archx » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 pm

arkuo wrote:
Archx wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Spoiler:

Well of course man. Luka should be fine with another star. Give it a full year with a full training camp. A guy with his IQ should be able to figure out what works and what wont.

Kyrie and Luka were the highest scoring duo in the league, and i think they still are. Luka was (before injuries) the highest producing (points+assists) player in the league despite playing with Kyrie. They have it figured out but Mavs management does not.

Many wrong trades, player signings and beyond horrible coach, is the real reason why this season is a huge dissapointment right now.

At some point early on, statistically, Luka had to average over 37pts and 8 assists for Mavs to even be in the proximity of a win. Do you even realize how incredibly crazy that is? :D If it wasn't for Luka, Mavs would have 15 wins at this point. At his peak this year, he was leading the league in win-share% and win-share per 48. He was also ahead of Jokic in almost all statistical categories.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#7309 » by Mike lorenzo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:04 pm

If we miss the Playoffs and keep our selection... Let's say it falls in the 7/10 range..
What do you think we will do with the selection (what would you do?) write? or change it?..
Who could we get in the trade?..
Which guy would you like to select in that range?
1+1=11
arkuo
General Manager

Post#7310 » by arkuo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:29 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:If we miss the Playoffs and keep our selection... Let's say it falls in the 7/10 range..
What do you think we will do with the selection (what would you do?) write? or change it?..

If the Mavs miss the playoffs and get a top 10 lotto pick, then Kidd lucked out and will most likely keep his job. If Mavs are picking at #10, GG Jackson kinda looks interesting. 6'9 Bam Adebayo type. Fills a need and is only 18 years old. I dont trust the wing types in the draft, you got Josh Green and Jaden Hardy to develop for those. Any wing you get is like 3 years away from seeing if these guys can hang with Kawhi or PG in the west. A young athletic big man can at least be like Time Lord in Boston.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#7311 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:28 pm

;t=97s
this kid is a faster more athletic Boban
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7312 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:44 pm

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7313 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:08 pm

SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7314 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:20 pm

if he falls to the 2nd round like some say he will and we do nothing to add a pick I will be pissed off we need to jettison some of the guys on this team for picks. I would love to get rid of Bullock THJ and anyone at the bottom of the roster obviously. I would package bullock and THJ for a first to get this kid and add in multiple seconds in future years as well. He may go late in the first round as well but he is going to start for whatever team he goes to. Kid may need to go if he comes here we need a coach that understand how to use big men. The rest of this season will be a test to see if Kid can start to make better use of bigs. HIs failure to use Wood is a catastrophic level of stupidity that has cost us wins. This kid is special and may end up being better than Wemby. You can see his shot is money and he scores rebounds and blocks and alters shots and he is going to get better.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7315 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:30 pm

Indianna has 2 picks at the end of the first and we could take some trash back in a trade of THJ or Bullock to get that first.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7316 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:55 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7797277 doing this for a 1st or 2nd if Zach is available.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7317 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:07 pm

Starters if Zach was at center Luka Kyrie Wood Kleber and Zach (Younger Boban who is more athletic and faster plus better touch on the hook ) total domination with size inside and at Point forward plus other advantages at most positions with Irving able to be a 2nd point guard that can penetrate and create plus the 3 point shooting skills off the bench and with 4 starters able to pop a 3. Bench: THJ Hardy Green Holiday Powell Bertans McGee. Rebounding with Luka Wood Kleber and Zach in the game would be monstrous.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man

Post#7318 » by SOUNDCHASER » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:25 pm

If that happened you would sill be able to trade Tim for more moves. You already have the wing backups in Green Hardy and Holiday. Maybe we bring back Powell if he is cheap plus we still have McGee and Bertans and Daniel that guy we traded Bullock for that is 6'8" and I don't know what he is capable of but likely He's a somewhat decent player but just overpaid enough that he would be considered a bad contract to warrant such a trade for the pacers. If Zach moves up in the draft I doubt we can figure out a way to snag him with anyone else unless we add in THJ. We could also offer a future first and cancel that trade and find another way to sweeten the deal if they preferred that package. Our future first is likely about the same as one or both of their late firsts. They need to use that extra first rounder later and figure out how to use it in a future draft so they can add another player without trying to integrate 3 new first round rookies in one season and risk having one not develop.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#7319 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:35 am

SOUNDCHASER wrote:If that happened you would sill be able to trade Tim for more moves. You already have the wing backups in Green Hardy and Holiday. Maybe we bring back Powell if he is cheap plus we still have McGee and Bertans and Daniel that guy we traded Bullock for that is 6'8" and I don't know what he is capable of but likely He's a somewhat decent player but just overpaid enough that he would be considered a bad contract to warrant such a trade for the pacers. If Zach moves up in the draft I doubt we can figure out a way to snag him with anyone else unless we add in THJ. We could also offer a future first and cancel that trade and find another way to sweeten the deal if they preferred that package. Our future first is likely about the same as one or both of their late firsts. They need to use that extra first rounder later and figure out how to use it in a future draft so they can add another player without trying to integrate 3 new first round rookies in one season and risk having one not develop.

I don't want Powell back even for the min.
If we traded for Jokic or Embiid, Powell would still be our starter no matter what we are paying him.

Mavs should be done with Powell imo, because the temptation to play him seems to be too much no matter who the coach is on this team.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#7320 » by Teffer10 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:43 am

Mike lorenzo wrote:If we miss the Playoffs and keep our selection... Let's say it falls in the 7/10 range..

I really like this Taylor Hendricks kid.
Long, great defender, good 3pt shooter and an athletic freak at 6'9.
Seems like the perfect fit for what we desperately need.

Return to Dallas Mavericks