ImageImageImage

The Race To The Bottom - theBigLip Tank Machine

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: The Race To The Bottom - theBigLip Tank Machine 

Post#261 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:04 am

If I'm not mistaken Carmelo said the pistons told him they were going to draft him. So it wasn't set in stone

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#262 » by Manocad » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 am

mattao313 wrote:If I'm not mistaken Carmelo said the pistons told him they were going to draft him. So it wasn't set in stone

I don't know how old you are but we're not playing elementary school revisionist history here. In that that draft there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Lebron and Darko were going 1 and 2, with some analysts projecting Darko at 1. This is absolutely indisputable.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#263 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:15 am

Manocad wrote:
mattao313 wrote:If I'm not mistaken Carmelo said the pistons told him they were going to draft him. So it wasn't set in stone

I don't know how old you are but we're not playing elementary school revisionist history here. In that that draft there was absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Lebron and Darko were going 1 and 2, with some analysts projecting Darko at 1. This is absolutely indisputable.
Yeah I'm old enough to remember there was actually some discussion about Darko being #1

People forget that at the time Darko was viewed as a Duncan/Dirk like kinda player.

We had Ben, Okur, Prince, Rip, Chauncey and Corliss at the time. And not Utah Okur.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#264 » by DNice68 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:03 am

Ya’ll are bringing up bad memories for me. I still remember after the lottery, they announced on espn, ‘the Pistons are strongly considering Darko Milicic’. I screamed at the tv ‘NOOOO’. I wanted Melo(of course), Bosh, or Wade, than Darko. Horrible memories, horrible!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#265 » by ComboGuardCity » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:15 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Manocad wrote:

Yeah I'm old enough to remember there was actually some discussion about Darko being #1

People forget that at the time Darko was viewed as a Duncan/Dirk like kinda player.

We had Ben, Okur, Prince, Rip, Chauncey and Corliss at the time. And not Utah Okur.

Darko was cemented at 2. Any talk of him going over Lebron was sensationalism by journalist to get, at that time, newspaper purchases and tv views :lol:
SuperBad
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#266 » by SuperBad » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:29 am

We had just comeback from try 3-1 to Orlando in the playoffs, and Prince shut Mcgrady down, that was another reason we didn’t take Carmelo. The press loved our picks, him and Delfeno .
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,094

Post#267 » by The Moose » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:49 am

Read on Twitter
?

straight from Melo, he claims even up until draft day Detroit was telling him they were going to take him.
Even says Larry Brown told him that directly

that being said, I'm not old enough to remember the 2003 draft, but all the content I have found online still archived from 2003 has Melo a clear 3rd to Lebron and Darko
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#268 » by Pharaoh » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:44 am

The Moose wrote:

Read on Twitter
?

straight from Melo, he claims even up until draft day Detroit was telling him they were going to take him.

that being said, I'm not old enough to remember the 2003 draft, but all the content I have found online still archived from 2003 has Melo a clear 3rd to Lebron and Darko
Hence why we took Darko.

Prince was a factor yes but at the time Darko was THE guy. Not a guy.

We actually should have taken Bosh - not Melo. But that's a different discussion

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#269 » by mattao313 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:59 am

The Moose wrote:

Read on Twitter
?

Thanks for posting it. So this talk about darko was set in stone the 2 pick wasn't true. Maybe to the media not the pistons.

Championships
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#270 » by bstein14 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:26 pm

Spurs and Rockets now both have 18 wins (Rockets have won 3 in a row.... feels like we haven't won 3 in a row in forever).

Pistons still sitting at 16 wins and if we're lucky we probably only get to 18 this year.... can't see us winning 3 or more games over the last 11 with the turd lineups we've been putting out.
Homelander87
Junior
And1: 71

Post#271 » by Homelander87 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:23 pm

SuperBad wrote:We had just comeback from try 3-1 to Orlando in the playoffs, and Prince shut Mcgrady down, that was another reason we didn’t take Carmelo. The press loved our picks, him and Delfeno .

And everyone thought Darko would win ROY over Lebron. :(
Homelander87
Junior
And1: 71

Post#272 » by Homelander87 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:24 pm

bstein14 wrote:Spurs and Rockets now both have 18 wins (Rockets have won 3 in a row.... feels like we haven't won 3 in a row in forever).

Pistons still sitting at 16 wins and if we're lucky we probably only get to 18 this year.... can't see us winning 3 or more games over the last 11 with the turd lineups we've been putting out.

Buckle in boys.....that worst record is gonna be ours!
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#273 » by zeebneeb » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:50 pm

So it was odd last night. I like to punish myself by watching the worst teams in the league, and I actually posted on the general board;

"Good job Spurs" seeing as how they were up 9 with like a minute to go, and doubted the Rockets(I was switching back and forth)and the Rockets ended up winning on a killer shot by Jabari.

Man this season.

Seems like the Pistons have a very nice lead(2 full losses)for worst record, and with the next three games against the;

Heat(home)
Hawks(road)
Raptors(road)

Before the team plays OKC(road), and then the Rockets(road).

Unless the team decides to play a larger rotation again, the Pistons should almost assuredly end up with a sub 20 win season, and the worst record.

I would love for the Rockets and Spurs to both win at least one more game, but we'll see.
NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Post#274 » by NYPiston » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:09 pm

Manocad wrote:[

Not a soul in the universe was picking Darko to go before Lebron outside of the usual suspects trying to be edgy.

With that said, Darko wasn't a reach at 2 but there were certainly some question marks surrounding taking a Euro prospect that high back in those days when the more sure things Carmelo, Wade or Bosh were there to be had.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,484

Post#275 » by whitehops » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:24 pm

NYPiston wrote:With that said, Darko wasn't a reach at 2 but there were certainly some question marks surrounding taking a Euro prospect that high back in those days when the more sure things Carmelo, Wade or Bosh were there to be had.

Euro scouting is still pretty poor, it was only 2018 when luka fell to the 3rd pick AND the team picking 3rd traded down, opting for trae young instead. Luka showed an absolute ton of skill on his tape in Europe, won the euroleague MVP at a record age and teams were still sceptical.

Since then there just hasn’t been an international prospect picked very early, for top 10 picks it’s just killian Hayes and Deni Avdija who have largely been disappointments and Josh Giddey who seems like a good pick so far.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,066

Post#276 » by joedumars1 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:26 pm

I’m a believer they drafted darko cause he was last position we needed to be a championship team.glad we got sheed, loved memo too tho. Still can’t believe it took till playoffs to play prince over old ass Michael curry. I’m also a believer we might’ve drafted Giannis, if dumars didnt get a win now ultimatum from gores (gores loves money, think he might be getting it now tho) so joe used the $ on josh smith and Brandon Jennings, went with sg to try and compliment them ala darko pf to complement that other starters hopefully. Yeah sometimes I wear a tin foil hat carry on. Hope joe
gets another shot
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

Post#277 » by gusman » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:13 pm

Does anyone feel bad for how it panned out for Dumars?
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,066

Post#278 » by joedumars1 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:17 pm

gusman wrote:Does anyone feel bad for how it panned out for Dumars?

Bad, no, he should get another shot imo. I think gores had a hand in some of the moves he made toward the end, but we will never fully know that.
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 301

Post#279 » by King Bugs » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:41 pm

SuperBad wrote:We had just comeback from try 3-1 to Orlando in the playoffs, and Prince shut Mcgrady down, that was another reason we didn’t take Carmelo. The press loved our picks, him and Delfeno .

I definitely still think about how Tayshaun's breakout in the 2003 playoffs may have been what changed minds in the front office about Melo. He was huge in those playoffs, when Chauncey sprained his ankle and he was hitting all of those clutch shots against Philly in round 2. We honestly overachieved in those playoffs and we got the sweeping we deserved in the ECF to the Nets. I do believe if we lose that 1-8 matchup to Orlando like we should had, then we would have looked a lot further away from a championship and then maybe the FO thinks that we need a dynamic scorer to pair with our defense... i don't know...

Although passing on Melo hurt us, I do feel like what hurt us just as much was Tayshaun never taking that next step. It was like we kept waiting for him to become more than a 14/7 role player. Joe had to believe in him and thought he had considerable upside to be more, especially with his physical gifts and ball skills. But it just never came, we really needed Tay as the youngest piece to raise our ceiling as a team as the core got older, but it wasn't in the cards which really isn't his fault. It is what it is... 2004 was still awesome despite it all.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#280 » by tmorgan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:13 pm

King Bugs wrote:

I definitely still think about how Tayshaun's breakout in the 2003 playoffs may have been what changed minds in the front office about Melo. He was huge in those playoffs, when Chauncey sprained his ankle and he was hitting all of those clutch shots against Philly in round 2. We honestly overachieved in those playoffs and we got the sweeping we deserved in the ECF to the Nets. I do believe if we lose that 1-8 matchup to Orlando like we should had, then we would have looked a lot further away from a championship and then maybe the FO thinks that we need a dynamic scorer to pair with our defense... i don't know...

Although passing on Melo hurt us, I do feel like what hurt us just as much was Tayshaun never taking that next step. It was like we kept waiting for him to become more than a 14/7 role player. Joe had to believe in him and thought he had considerable upside to be more, especially with his physical gifts and ball skills. But it just never came, we really needed Tay as the youngest piece to raise our ceiling as a team as the core got older, but it wasn't in the cards which really isn't his fault. It is what it is... 2004 was still awesome despite it all.

It’s hard for me to get too worked up about missing out on Melo, a guy that never really played winning basketball after college. Sure, maybe in a different situation, he turns out better and less selfish, but I doubt it.

Given that we had quality bigs, the real dynasty-establishing piece we missed was Wade, which was never ever going to happen. But given that he’s from Chicago and went to Marquette, there’s a real chance Dwyane stays long term with a very successful Pistons team. Ah well.

Return to Detroit Pistons