UFC 286: Leon does it again

Moderator: lilfishi22

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

UFC 286: Leon does it again 

Post#1 » by Dupp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:23 am

The Leon era is upon us. He’s gonna beat usman again and khamzat is moving to middleweight.

Co main gonna be fireworks. Nice early card.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: UFC 286: Leon does it again 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:36 am

Usman might win, and might even deserve to be the favorite, but I don't think Trilogy fights usually favor the older guy, they don't favor the guy that got KO'd viciously in the 2nd fight, and they don't favor guys with a pile of injuries stacking up. Tall hill to climb.

The other part that is weird to me is that people think a big kick is "lucky" or that it's unlikely to land another head kick, but that holding someone down for 25 minutes without finishing them or without even really threatening a finish is somehow easier or a safer plan. It's weird, it's insanely hard to control guys for that long without mistakes. I think guys like Usman and Izzy(Izzy is weirdly a control guy,despite being a striker), who both obviously CAN finish people, have a lot of fights where they are comfortably sailing ahead, but the opponent isn't really compromised enough to make them not a threat going into late stages of a fight. It's just a matter of time before one of those guys catches you slipping and you might never be the same, even if you're so excellent that you can go long long stretches of fights without making a major mistake. Contrast it with someone like Khabib, where it seems like once his opponents get back up, he's beaten on them so badly that they really can't offer anymore resistance.

We've seen a lot of guys in recent times become very shy about pulling the trigger following age and KOs. Usman needs his aggression, volume and pressure. If his injuries are as bad as he says, it might start getting very hard to keep that up.

Idk, just with all the things stacking up on KAmaru, Leon seems like a good play at +200
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Dupp
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dupp » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:51 am

In immediate rematches It’s like an 80%+ win rate for the champ who just dethroned another champ.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#4 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:08 pm

https://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-286

Why the **** do they list these in CDT/Central time now & not EDT time zone??!?

Was there a setting I changed somewhere or what?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:19 am

Chael always says it's takedown ability that goes first with age. Usman not being an imminent takedown threat really exposes how mediocre his striking is.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,101

Post#6 » by duppyy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:40 am

Colby getting a title shot next is a disgrace.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#7 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:13 am

duppyy wrote:Colby getting a title shot next is a disgrace.

I say wait for Burns to run through Masvidal and then do Leon vs. Burns while Colby gets Shavkat.

Colby hasn't been close to being active enough to get a title shot next. If he can beat a guy as good as Shavkat, then he gets winner of Leon/Gilbert. If Shavkat beats Colby, Shavkat gets the shine of beating a star plus will definitively prove he's ready for a title shot. Plus Shavkat vs. Colby would be an absolute banger. Only thing wrong with my plan is that it screws Belal, who legitimately deserves something big next.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,879

Post#8 » by ronnymac2 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:14 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Chael always says it's takedown ability that goes first with age. Usman not being an imminent takedown threat really exposes how mediocre his striking is.

Kamaru's takedown attempts in rounds 4 and 5 had nothing on them. Leon just bullied his way out of half of them.

Undefeated. Undisputed.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#9 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:02 am

The two judges scoring that *at least* 4 rounds for Leon got it right. I was freaked out that they were going to get it horribly wrong considering what DC and Bisping were saying (**** DC gave Usman the 4th somehow). The broadcast team were crediting Usman with a lot. And there were Twitter comments popping up on the screen suggesting the fight was even. But, nah, Edwards ran away with it, sniping Usman to a win of most, if not all, rounds. The judges, thankfully, got it right.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#10 » by Dupp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:18 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Chael always says it's takedown ability that goes first with age. Usman not being an imminent takedown threat really exposes how mediocre his striking is.

Rumours are Usman is barely able to walk with his knee these days and he’s hand injury been going on for a while. Dudes a warrior and one of the best champs ever
Dupp
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dupp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:19 am

Insane. Ain’t watching that ****. Hope Leon refuses
Dupp
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dupp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:20 am

ronnymac2 wrote:

I say wait for Burns to run through Masvidal and then do Leon vs. Burns while Colby gets Shavkat.

Colby hasn't been close to being active enough to get a title shot next. If he can beat a guy as good as Shavkat, then he gets winner of Leon/Gilbert. If Shavkat beats Colby, Shavkat gets the shine of beating a star plus will definitively prove he's ready for a title shot. Plus Shavkat vs. Colby would be an absolute banger. Only thing wrong with my plan is that it screws Belal, who legitimately deserves something big next.

Belal getting more screwed. Dana says he getting Shavkat next. Joke of a division.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dupp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:26 am

cowboyronnie wrote:The two judges scoring that *at least* 4 rounds for Leon got it right. I was freaked out that they were going to get it horribly wrong considering what DC and Bisping were saying (**** DC gave Usman the 4th somehow). The broadcast team were crediting Usman with a lot. And there were Twitter comments popping up on the screen suggesting the fight was even. But, nah, Edwards ran away with it, sniping Usman to a win of most, if not all, rounds. The judges, thankfully, got it right.

They all have usman the 3rd which I thought was insane. Leon controlled every exchange before and after the fence grab. Feels like judges penalised him for the fence grab even though he already lost a point.
I really only thought usman had an argument in round 2.

Great performance by Leon.
benson13
Rookie
And1: 973

Post#14 » by benson13 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:03 am

ronnymac2 wrote:

Kamaru's takedown attempts in rounds 4 and 5 had nothing on them. Leon just bullied his way out of half of them.

Undefeated. Undisputed.

I also think Edwards is aware how badly that last fight was going for him before the knockout. He was so much better this time at stuffing takedowns, grappling, in the clinch, etc.

Usman's takedowns aren't the only threat from him. He also gets guys against the fence, stands upright, and beats them, or he takes them down. Leon was was pulling Kumaru's hand away to prevent a single leg and keeping Kumaru's head down while he worked to separate. Masvidal, for example, would just try to explode out of that situation.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:15 am

Dupp wrote:

Rumours are Usman is barely able to walk with his knee these days and he’s hand injury been going on for a while. Dudes a warrior and one of the best champs ever

Yea, hearing the horror story about his knees, I dunno how he even trains tbh
Dupp
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dupp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:47 am

This is cold Image
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#17 » by Susan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:10 am

Dupp wrote:
Susan wrote:
Dupp wrote:Leon’s just so much better on the feet. He won every round. Like I said, his time to rule now that khamzat got fat.

Rakmonov.

Great main and co-main. JG is an absolute legend and Edwards is a sniper. Pretty freaking great performance by Leon.

Am I wrong for thinking less of Shavkat after last performance? His wrestling isn’t elite. I can see Leon keeping it on the feet.

Khamzat really was gonna run through everyone. Shame he got Covid and **** up his ****

I'll bring my contributions to this thread :P

Neal is legit and Shavkat really looked good - did Khazmat's fight against Burns sour you on him?
Dupp
RealGM

Post#18 » by Dupp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:54 am

Susan wrote:
Dupp wrote:
Susan wrote:
Rakmonov.

Great main and co-main. JG is an absolute legend and Edwards is a sniper. Pretty freaking great performance by Leon.

Am I wrong for thinking less of Shavkat after last performance? His wrestling isn’t elite. I can see Leon keeping it on the feet.

Khamzat really was gonna run through everyone. Shame he got Covid and **** up his ****

I'll bring my contributions to this thread :P

Neal is legit and Shavkat really looked good - did Khazmat's fight against Burns sour you on him?

It gave me a better understanding of where khamzats striking is sure. I don’t think there’s anyone in welterweight that could keep the fight on the feet against khamzat while Shavkat couldn’t take down Neal at least.
Not saying he can’t be champ I just think I thought he was a little better than he is.

And yeah Neal is great. He beat up Belal.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:07 am

UFC wants to shoe horn Colby into a title shot so bad when he hasn't beaten anyone in the top 10 and isn't a draw, despite all the attempts to mold him into one over the last few years. It feels like Dana will let him dodge anyone young and dangerous, probably for political reasons.

I hope Leon plays hardball with it. I'd rather them even let Leon have a Conor fight over that garbage. At least if we're gonna give it to someone undeserving, give it to someone that will be an exciting fight and let the champion get a massive pay day.

Colby getting repeated shots without ever fighting any of the relevant contenders was stupid before, and it's getting dumber every time. The whole division is basically plagued with guys trying to wait each other out it seems.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#20 » by Dupp » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:46 pm

I thought Dana wouldn’t like Colby because he’s said some **** about Dana but he obviously doesn’t care.

Maybe it is the trump dick sucking aspect that comes into play. The other theory floated is thy give him a shot if he drops the charges vs Jorge.. who knows but it’s lame.

Leon said he wouldn’t fight him on mma hour today. Hope he sticks to that. Colby shot Leon down numerous times in the past.

Off topic a little bit I remember someone here saying Leon will be pushed out of the promotion soon a little while back. How things change. I don’t think the ufc love him, much like aljo but they’ve given them no choice.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts