ImageImageImageImage

2023 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 367

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2481 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:00 am

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#2482 » by Bensational » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:01 am

MasterGMer wrote:That is why I am so intrigued by Taylor Hendricks. Dude has defense versatilities and can guard the perimeter. Plus he was leading the American in block shots per game.

I wish we go top 3 and use the CHI pick on Taylor Hendricks

I’ve been watching some more Hendricks highlights and I’m onboard with it. I’m not sure he’d cut it as a small ball 5 for heavy minutes, but I think he could fit with Paolo and Franz as a guy who can guard 1-5 on any given play. Even if he’s just off the bench he could be a heavy minutes guy like Tari Eason has been for the Rockets. He looks like he’d be a great complimentary player who’s capable of big nights himself, like Wendell.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#2483 » by MoMM » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:10 am

KillMonger wrote:

Nice, we can have Sassinator 2.0 :nod:

Gaines vs Sasser
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#2484 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:12 am

JTG_92940618 wrote:
Petre1978 wrote:

Kevin Pelon's WARP rankings thing have him 3rd behind Wemby and Miller.

Spoiler:
3. Cam Whitmore
Villanova | SF
Top 100: No. 7
Stats: No. 2

Consensus: 3.2 WARP

Although Whitmore's return wasn't enough to turn around a Villanova season that ended in the NIT, his production was solid. My model particularly seems to like Whitmore's combination of a high steal rate and accurate shooting inside the arc. No other player in this year's top 100 boasts a projected 2-point rate better than 52% (Whitmore is at 54%) and a projected steal rate of 2.0 per 100 or better. Just three draft picks have hit those marks since 2011: Mikal Bridges, Paul Reed and Zion Williamson.

FWIW, I had a look at Pelton's track record with this and it's a bit all over the shop. For example, he didn't think much of Tatum but he had Jokic 5th in 2014 and VanVleet 3rd in 2016.

Whitmore is very underrated.
Imo when you look back in a few years Whitmore will be one the best players from this draft.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#2485 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:14 am

Bensational wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:That is why I am so intrigued by Taylor Hendricks. Dude has defense versatilities and can guard the perimeter. Plus he was leading the American in block shots per game.

I wish we go top 3 and use the CHI pick on Taylor Hendricks

I’ve been watching some more Hendricks highlights and I’m onboard with it. I’m not sure he’d cut it as a small ball 5 for heavy minutes, but I think he could fit with Paolo and Franz as a guy who can guard 1-5 on any given play. Even if he’s just off the bench he could be a heavy minutes guy like Tari Eason has been for the Rockets. He looks like he’d be a great complimentary player who’s capable of big nights himself, like Wendell.

Completely agree with you on this!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#2486 » by Bensational » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:16 am

Hypothetical Scenario:

WeHam are so happy with how the team has performed they decide to run it back next season, so the only changes they’re making are the two draft picks.

WCJ/MoW
Paolo/Bol/Isaac
Franz/Houstan
Harris/Suggs
Fultz/Cole

What do you think will happen when positions get crowded? Ie, we draft Scoot. Does he start or come off the bench for Fultz? What happens to Cole? Is Harris the old man out?

Wemby, Scoot and Miller feel like guys who it’s easy to imagine how they could fit. What about guys like the Thompson twins, Nick Smith Jr, Keytone, Black, etc? Are they automatic upgrades over who we have? Who do they displace and where would they end up in a depth chart?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#2487 » by RookieStar » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:42 am

Im jusy curious... why was NSJ unplayable? Compared to his fellow rookie Black who got a lotnof heavy minutes.

I mean if ARK didnt foul out 2 players, NSJ wouldnt have been playing in the final.minutes..
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 507

Post#2488 » by Ralof » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:44 am

Bensational wrote:Hypothetical Scenario:

WeHam are so happy with how the team has performed they decide to run it back next season, so the only changes they’re making are the two draft picks.

WCJ/MoW
Paolo/Bol/Isaac
Franz/Houstan
Harris/Suggs
Fultz/Cole

What do you think will happen when positions get crowded? Ie, we draft Scoot. Does he start or come off the bench for Fultz? What happens to Cole? Is Harris the old man out?

Wemby, Scoot and Miller feel like guys who it’s easy to imagine how they could fit. What about guys like the Thompson twins, Nick Smith Jr, Keytone, Black, etc? Are they automatic upgrades over who we have? Who do they displace and where would they end up in a depth chart?

Harris is out for sure if we draft a guard,just they do not pick his option.

Isaac lol tbh,at this point.

Houstan and Bol are players they can stay on the bench,if they are unhappy they can ask for a trade,would be no problem.

as you said,WeHam will decide to run it back next season 100%
Ralof
Pro Prospect
And1: 507

Post#2489 » by Ralof » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:57 am

fendilim wrote:So wemby… do u guys see him as a 5 or a 4? Personally i see him playing 4 and sometimes 3 than playing 5. Much like KD

first two years,especially rookie year,will be to adjustement,adapt nba and work on that bod.
he is a tipology guy we never seen in nba before,even the staff will have to understand how to use him.

that said in my opinion,he will be a center without any doubt,after that first period,when you really want to start to compete.

at 7’3”you simply can not guard quick forward on the perimeter;what people forget always with these tall guys,is that be quick and fast for a 7 feet is not the same that being fast and quick in general.
one thing is to stay with a smaller guy for few seconds on a switch,totally another one is to follow your opponent around the field,all the time.

same for offense:amazing ball handling for a +7 feet,but in playoff games do you really think he could dribble many times against a big kawhi type defender??

best comp i red is : better porzingis on offense,better gobert on defense.and that is honestly a scary prospect.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#2490 » by JBSouthpaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:15 am

Ralof wrote:

WCJ/MoW
Paolo/Bol/Isaac
Franz/Houstan
Harris/Suggs
Fultz/Cole

Harris is out for sure if we draft a guard,just they do not pick his option.

Isaac lol tbh,at this point.

Houstan and Bol are players they can stay on the bench,if they are unhappy they can ask for a trade,would be no problem.

as you said,WeHam will decide to run it back next season 100%

I think Gary is out no matter what. He's replaced by either Draft pick or FA.
The backcourt def. has to be cleaned up.
If we don't get a top 4 pick, I could see a big trade.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#2491 » by basketballRob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:32 am

I'd be happy with Walker and Bufkin. Bukin was measured 6'4" without shoes prior to going to Michigan. Rumors are that he's he close to 6'6" with shoes now. He reminds me of a shorter Franz because of the way he can get by players to the basket.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#2492 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:33 am

MoMM wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

Nice, we can have Sassinator 2.0 :nod:

Gaines vs Sasser

But Marcus can really shoot
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#2493 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:36 am

basketballRob wrote:
I'd be happy with Walker and Bufkin. Bukin was measured 6'4" without shoes prior to going to Michigan. Rumors are that he's he close to 6'6" with shoes now. He reminds me of a shorter Franz because of the way he can get by players to the basket.

I agree 100%
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 669

Post#2494 » by BCS » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:35 pm

RookieStar wrote:Im jusy curious... why was NSJ unplayable? Compared to his fellow rookie Black who got a lotnof heavy minutes.

I mean if ARK didnt foul out 2 players, NSJ wouldnt have been playing in the final.minutes..
Lack of experience, especially on the defensive side which you can't have against a team like Kansas.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#2495 » by MagicMatic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:42 pm

RookieStar wrote:Duke is gone... sigh.... well we arent really looking at their players this year.

Mark Mitchell being sidelined prior to the game made it nearly impossible for them.

You can’t go without the best, and toughest, defensive player on the roster and expect to win.

Back to the draft…

Dariq Whitehead showed flashes, but I don’t know if he’s really anything more than a Gary Harris kind of guy. He looked stiff defensively and never attacked the rim.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#2496 » by basketballRob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:01 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Duke is gone... sigh.... well we arent really looking at their players this year.

Mark Mitchell being sidelined prior to the game made it nearly impossible for them.

You can’t go without the best, and toughest, defensive player on the roster and expect to win.

Back to the draft…

Dariq Whitehead showed flashes, but I don’t know if he’s really anything more than a Gary Harris kind of guy. He looked stiff defensively and never attacked the rim.
Whitehead kind of reminds me of AJ Griffin last season. Both had near identical stats, both near identical in age at Duke. Whitehead doesn't turn 19 until August.

If you believe Whitehead can have the same impact as Griffin has had as a 19 year old pro, you probably pick him.

The same questions about Whitehead are the same questions people had about Griffin last season. Griffin has looked really good driving to the basket as a pro.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Post#2497 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:07 pm

WCJ/MoW
Paolo/Bol/Isaac
Franz/Houstan
Harris/Suggs
Fultz/Cole

It's a good question.

"Run it back" to me also implies another "development" year.

I think in terms of pecking order, Paolo, Franz, & WCJ are locks to start no matter who we draft.

If we draft top 2, that pick starts.

If we draft top ten, the picks are a lock to make the rotation.

For example, Tankathon has us taking Ausar #5 and Gradey #10. Here's what I think would happen:

Point guard: Fultz
Combo guard: Cole
Shooting guard: Suggs
Swing-man: Ausar
Small forward: Franz
Combo forward: Gradey
Power forward: Paolo
Combo big: Bol
Quick center: WCJ
Power center: Goga

Deep bench: Moritz, Harris, Houstan, Okeke
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#2498 » by MagicMatic » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:16 pm

basketballRob wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Back to the draft…

Whitehead kind of reminds me of AJ Griffin last season. Both had near identical stats, both near identical in age at Duke. Whitehead doesn't turn 19 until August.

If you believe Whitehead can have the same impact as Griffin has had as a 19 year old pro, you probably pick him.

The same questions about Whitehead are the same questions people had about Griffin last season. Griffin has looked really good driving to the basket as a pro.

The difference between the two is that Griffin is a superior athlete and better defender.
Petre1978
Sixth Man

Post#2499 » by Petre1978 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:24 pm

https://clutchpoints.com/2023-nba-mock-draft-lottery-only-victor-wembanyama-lands-with-spurs

Magic trade the 5th and 9th pick to Houston for the 2nd pick and select Henderson.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Post#2500 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm

Petre1978 wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/2023-nba-mock-draft-lottery-only-victor-wembanyama-lands-with-spurs

Magic trade the 5th and 9th pick to Houston for the 2nd pick and select Henderson.
Cosigned

Return to Orlando Magic