Image ImageImage Image

Post Game Thread: We’re going Streaking!!!

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,776

Re: Post Game Thread: We’re going Streaking!!! 

Post#41 » by jc23 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:24 am

Its frustrating because had this team put forth this amount of effort the first 2/3 of the season we would not be battling for our play in lives. They seem to be on a sprint to the finish but the problem is so is every other team at the moment.

Ill always support hard hat lunch pail type of mentality, but if they let go of the rope again im out.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#42 » by Wingy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:26 am

Red8911 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow this guy is MR Glass. Not good if he misses time.

18 mins at Denver in an improbable win.

10 mins vs Miami and a schedule absolutely stacked against us.

It’s as if this guy isn’t as absolutely indispensable as some would lead you to believe. This injury prone nature isn’t going to improve with this guy’s playing style and age.

The supposed asking price of two firsts was absurd if true. AK shouldn’t have been greedy / overvalued him, and should’ve moved him at the deadline when there were #TooManyBuyers.

We have an example of the Caruso mold right on the roster in Javonte. At less than 1/5th the price tag. While the ‘coach on the floor’ thing is nice to have, it’s not $7.5MM extra a year nice that’s for damn sure. That’s more than Rick Carlisle’s salary!
chitowndish
Pro Prospect
And1: 464

Post#43 » by chitowndish » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:12 pm

It was a fun win Caruso's block on Bam was amazing and Beverly stretching out to save that ball reminded me a bit of Rodman going horizontal. Really is shocking how much Beverley changes things guys are hustling, moving the ball well and for the most part taking good shots. Third quarter was where I would have really liked DDR or Zach to step up and take an easy shot but I don't think I will ever get mad at those guys for not spamming 1 on 1 but that was a spot it would have been nice for DDR to get a nice midrange jumper or Zach to take it to the rack but instead we kept settling for long jumpers. Have to give some credit to the Heat here too they definitely had it in their heads to disrupt our offense after halftime I just thought that was a stretch for one of these two to come in and get an easy shot to get us going. Coby ended up getting us going though so it was nice to see from him.

I also really like how Coby is playing and it is kind of shocking how much his ball handling has improved. I am curious how he made such a big leap in one offseason as improving handle seems like one of the toughest things to improve and it seems to take longer but he's done a great job with it. Williams I am really impressed with the versatility in scoring he's showing a nice mix, his 3 is looking nice, he's attacking the basket well and I've seen him a few times go to the post which is great with his lower body strength and he had a few nice clean ups around the basket. Seems like he disappeared for a large part of the second half but most of our team disappeared for the third and he came back well in the 4th when we really needed some buckets.

Donovan had a nice challenge with that strip by Lavine, that was really nice keeping the 3rd foul off of him and also great D by Lavine. I like that he's got a chip on his shoulder about D and he does a really nice job with man defense when he's locked in. I think with the help and team defense it's about having enough guys out there that communicate on D which helps Zach DDR and Vuc I think this is where Bev and Caruso both out there improve the defense of the others. You heard King mentioning how much the Heat communicate on D and I think if we don't have Caruso and Beverly out there communicating it starts to fall apart. Love what I'm seeing out of DDR and Zach scoring wise too they are making decisions quickly and moving the ball well. I'm honestly shocked how much this turned around but I think one of the keys is that both of them respect Beverly where they kind of steam roll Ayo, Coby and I don't think Caruso gets in their face about it enough because he doesn't want to score. Beverly really does give us enough of what Lonzo did to fill the hole, he doesn't give us everything but it seems like it is enough to make this team fun to watch.

I've been pro tank since I think December but I can get behind these guys making it to the playin and getting some experience I think it will be good for the young guys and with the way they play good teams it should be fun. Just happy to see some basketball that is fun to watch, they seem to be playing as a team and hustling out there. I don't need these guys to be world beaters out there I just want to enjoy watching the games and I'm enjoying what I see out of these guys since Beverley, win or lose they have been fighting and it's been fun to watch them.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#44 » by FriedRise » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:40 pm

We would’ve been on a 6 game win streak if those current and former Kings guards didn’t hit their game winner against us, but alas, to be top 5 in both offense and defense after the All Star break where every team in the league turned up their intensity is still impressive.

This game they showed growth in that they finally figured out how to not fold, but to regroup and then put away a team they’ve been dominating all night long. I would’ve been a lot more optimistic if we were still in February, but they should be able to win the majority of their remaining games after these next two.

Let’s see if they can take at least one from the red hot Philly team.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,515

Post#45 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:I seriously thought we going to blow this lead. We needed a 27 pt cushion.

That first half was amazing. We had amazing ball movment. We had great shots. We defended at a high level. The second half we completely relaxed, played bad on defense and on offense we just took poor attempts.

The MVP of the game was Pat Bev. It got kind of put ine back burner because of how we played in that 3rd quarter. he was the biggest reason why we were up 27. Those 3s were crazy.

But that player that saved us was Coby White. It makes you think that Coby should have been named the starter the whole season. I love Ayo but he just cant give you what Coby is giving right now. He fits with both starting and bench units. Great game from Coby.

Agree on all points. Regarding Coby, there’s really no doubt that he’s rocketed ahead of Ayo, who has had a pretty regressive season on both ends. At this point whether AKME decides to double down on winning now or rebuilding, Coby should be resigned unless someone overpays the hell out of him. He’s become a good all around player with the ability to catch and shoot threes and create a variety of shots off the dribble. That’s valuable to every team, especially ours given the roster’s ridiculous construction.

He’s frankly the most positive development about this season.

Regarding the game, despite coughing up the lead, if you look at it as a whole, a much better game than the Minny game which tactically was not even remotely sustainable.

Much better ball movement and more of a free flowing game. 39/80 FGA from the Big 3 (which is a little too far the other direction if we’re looking for a sweet spot) and 34/45 assisted FGA. Better team play, better result, against a better team.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:25 pm

RastaBull wrote:I really do believe Javonte coming back into the fold while the team is playing well will give them another solid tick up

I predict it will not help one iota or even hurt. DJJ isn’t even playing at all. Where is his role other than taking Pat’s minutes, which I realize a handful of you will celebrate like New Year’s? With the Bev/Caruso move Green returning forces more one dimensional redundancy and roster imbalance while further exacerbating our size issues. Which I realize is Mother’s Milk to the AKME/BD Bulls.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,200

Post#47 » by coldfish » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:51 pm

DuckIII wrote:
RastaBull wrote:I really do believe Javonte coming back into the fold while the team is playing well will give them another solid tick up

I predict it will not help one iota or even hurt. DJJ isn’t even playing at all. Where is his role other than taking Pat’s minutes, which I realize a handful of you will celebrate like New Year’s? With the Bev/Caruso move Green returning forces more one dimensional redundancy and roster imbalance while further exacerbating our size issues. Which I realize is Mother’s Milk to the AKME/BD Bulls.

Net rating for the season
Javonte +7.8
DJJ +3.9
Patrick -8.4

DJJ really isn't playing much. It will be interesting to see if Donovan fully pulls Patrick from the rotation when Green comes back. I suspect he won't, leaving Green as playing very little and having little impact as Duck said.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,981

Post#48 » by Chi town » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:12 pm

RastaBull wrote:
Chi town wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dalen better get at least half of Ayo’s mins

Dalen can hoop! He’s been impressive with his short spurts lately. I’m seeing a much better shooting stroke. And he hustles in ways rotation guys through a deflating season don’t. He will be erratic, but he’ll also dive for balls and fly through wildly for rebounds and tips. I want that at least part of time instead of Ayo for full time in those minutes.

Dalen could be a great rebounder in this 3pt league with lots of long rebounds. He anticipates, hustles, and he has those bionic go go gadget arms.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 pm

coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Javonte +7.8
DJJ +3.9
Patrick -8.4

DJJ really isn't playing much. It will be interesting to see if Donovan fully pulls Patrick from the rotation when Green comes back. I suspect he won't, leaving Green as playing very little and having little impact as Duck said.

I’ll make this simple and conclusory: I don’t care. And if the +/- of an individual is BD’s gauge to determine who should play and how much rather than creating balanced lineups that doesn’t say anything good about him at all as a basketball mind. Stats that depend on how the other 4 guys are playing have never meant anything of significance to me.

That’s not because of Pat. I’ve been a critic of using that stat since it started being used. It’s one of the worst of the oft-repeated statistical arguments there is, possibly second only to declaring someone to be a good scorer based solely on ppg.

It would be absolutely hilarious to trade Pat’s size and shooting for Javonte’s tiny stature and complete lack of skill considering the makeup of this roster. But it’s certainly a believable scenario.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#50 » by bad knees » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:37 pm

PatBev, as usual, is correct.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=8Svv_-MwN33dX52-Z2fvEw
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by bad knees » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:42 pm

It will be good to get Javonte back, especially with Caruso out for a while. When healthy, Javonte contributes more to winning than any of our other PF options. PWill needs to keep playing hard and shooting when he is open - that will help too.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:53 pm

coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Javonte +7.8
DJJ +3.9
Patrick -8.4

Okay, I decided I couldn’t just disregard the merit of a stat without looking at it (again, I’ve done this before in the past). And when I looked at it I was not shocked to learn how wildly dependent on role and who you share the floor with it is, which is why I disregard it. Pat has proven an excellent example of the flaw (in a way that makes Pat look good).

In the last 11 games since Pat has been moved to a reserve (like Javonte) Pat’s net rating is +7.4 and as a reserve his +/- during that stretch is +8.2. This is despite his general individual stats remaining largely static except field goal % which has gone up.

P.S. Pat’s net rating for the season is -2.8 and Javonte’s is +6.9. So using Pat’s numbers in Javonte’s role Javonte should not ever play because Pat is clearly better. (I don’t actually believe that argument because it’s terrible.)
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by bad knees » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:59 pm

PatBev is BD’s coach on the floor.

Read on Twitter
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,904

Post#54 » by RSP83 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:01 pm

This needs to be discussed more. DeMar's 3-point shooting monthly splits:

October: 1.3 3PA/G, 33%
November: 1.6 3PA/G, 30%
December: 1.2 3PA/G, 22%
January: 1.8 3PA/G, 40%
February: 2.0 3PA/G, 28%
March: 3.0 3PA/G, 50%

Through 8 games in March he has hoisted up 24 3P attempts. This is already more attempts than any month this year. I check the numbers all the way to last year, so far this is the most 3s he has ever taken in a month in a Bulls uniform (previous high was November 2021, he attempted 2.8 3s/game, but only hit it at 33% clip).

If DeMar is finally really getting comfortable with the 3-shots, this could be huge.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:03 pm

bad knees wrote:PatBev is BD’s coach on the floor.

Read on Twitter

Pat has had two M-Bev-P games that have been huge but on the whole I think Lavine’s play is massively more important to our more recent success. Given his age and history the Bulls can’t rest on him as a solution this summer.

But like Coby, I see a good role for him on this team if we stay in win now mode or try to rebuild. Though as a reserve in both scenarios. If he’s our answer at point next year then we didn’t really address the question.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,200

Post#56 » by coldfish » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm

DuckIII wrote:
coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Javonte +7.8
DJJ +3.9
Patrick -8.4

Okay, I decided I couldn’t just disregard the merit of a stat without looking at it (again, I’ve done this before in the past). And when I looked at it I was not shocked to learn how wildly dependent on role and who you share the floor with it is, which is why I disregard it. Pat has proven an excellent example of the flaw (in a way that makes Pat look good).

In the last 11 games since Pat has been moved to a reserve (like Javonte) Pat’s net rating is +7.4 and as a reserve his +/- during that stretch is +8.2. This is despite his general individual stats remaining largely static except field goal % which has gone up.

P.S. Pat’s net rating for the season is -2.8 and Javonte’s is +6.9. So using Pat’s numbers in Javonte’s role Javonte should not ever play because Pat is clearly better. (I don’t actually believe that argument because it’s terrible.)

I was going to type out a reply before but honestly, I'm not invested in this team one iota. We disagree but the state of the team is such that its not worth arguing over. I don't think much of Javonte's ceiling so I hope I am wrong on PW and that Patrick becomes a superduperstar and makes the team watchable.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by DuckIII » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:10 pm

coldfish wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
coldfish wrote:
Javonte +7.8
DJJ +3.9
Patrick -8.4

I was going to type out a reply before but honestly, I'm not invested in this team one iota. We disagree but the state of the team is such that its not worth arguing over. I don't think much of Javonte's ceiling so I hope I am wrong on PW and that Patrick becomes a superduperstar and makes the team watchable.

All I did was use your stat, which was pretty badly inaccurate to begin with according to NBA.com but maybe different sites have different stats. I don’t believe in anything I just argued about that stat except the part saying it has no real value generally, and certainly not as applied here.

You can agree or disagree but it says what is says, or don’t. The only reason I looked it up again is because it’s Pat. I get the apathy.
bad knees
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by bad knees » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:10 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Read on Twitter

Pat has had two M-Bev-P games that have been huge but on the whole I think Lavine’s play is massively more important to our more recent success. Given his age and history the Bulls can’t rest on him as a solution this summer.

But like Coby, I see a good role for him on this team if we stay in win now mode or try to rebuild. Though as a reserve in both scenarios. If he’s our answer at point next year then we didn’t really address the question.

We’re the second best team in the league with PatBev as our starting PG. Yes Lavine is playing better, but part of that is the PatBev effect of making sure Lavine gets the ball in the right places and situations. Given what I have seen so far, I am completely fine with bringing PatBev back as our starting PG. He’s exactly what we need in a PG.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#59 » by RSP83 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:13 pm

bad knees wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

Read on Twitter

We’re the second best team in the league with PatBev as our starting PG. Yes Lavine is playing better, but part of that is the PatBev effect of making sure Lavine gets the ball in the right places and situations. Given what I have seen so far, I am completely fine with bringing PatBev back as our starting PG. He’s exactly what we need in a PG.

And there's really not much options available who is that much better either. We need to consider fit as well. And Bev fits like a glove.
RSP83
Head Coach

Post#60 » by RSP83 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter

PatBev is BD’s coach on the floor PR.

Return to Chicago Bulls