ImageImage

2023 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Re: 2023 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#101 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:02 pm

Yeah, Kobe Brown is the guy as far as realistic Bucks targets if we're thinking about buying into the early 2nd round. But I think with a good tourney he could really vault himself into mid-late 1st territory.
BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,220

Post#102 » by BigO » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:32 pm

emunney wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Who am I watching today em? I’ve been working way too much this year

Missouri vs. Utah State: Kobe Brown and D'Moi Hodge for Missouri. Brown is a big wing 3/4 type whose shooting has exploded this year and sees the floor well; Hodge is a super long guard defender with great anticipation and he's also having a great year shooting it. Ashworth for Utah State is not a pro prospect -- he makes AJ Green look like Jalen Green -- but he's one of the best shooters in the country.

Virginia vs. Furman: Beekman is my guy even though my confidence in his offensive development is waning. Furman's got a possible pro in Jalen Slawson, do-it-all super senior forward. Slawson might not have the quickness for the next level but he's long, skilled, and smart.

Texas A&M vs. Penn State: PSU's Pickett is a 3 level shotmaker who operates a lot like Jrue offensively. Runs some pick and roll and can shoot off the dribble but seems to really prefer working with his back to the basket and using his body to create space for short jumpers. It'll be interesting to see how they match up, because Wade Taylor for A&M is super quick and slithery, but small. Excellent shooter and uses it to open up lanes to the rim, where he's not at all contact shy despite being short and skinny. There will likely be some cross matching because it doesn't seem like either one could guard the other one to me, but they're both fringe prospects.

Duke v. Oral Roberts: Super interesting matchup as Duke is very young as usual, and Abmas is the kind of pint-sized shot creator who has the potential to give anybody issues. ORU also has 7-3 Arkansas transfer Vanover, who has pretty nice touch and uses all his size defensively. Personally think Mark MItchell is Duke's best pro prospect this year but I suspect he stays in school and he's not a *great* prospect.

Arkansas vs. Illinois: 8 v. 9 seed game where both teams are underseeded and have multiple pro prospects. Arkansas has a ton of talent, and Illinois has a ton of experience.

Beekman is my favorite AAU player of all time and I've seen thousands. He cannot be sped up, is a great point guard and is a total winner. The Badgers screwed up and offered him real late (there's a lot more to this story).

But he has obvious deficiencies for the next level. Not a great scorer, can't get his own shot off and probably not a great penetrator at the next level. But he's a great passer and a great defender.

I would jump all over him in the second round, although I assume he is coming back next year. Comes from a great family that has gone thru a lot of tragedy.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,744

Post#103 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:57 pm

Dumb question, but do the Bucks have a draft pick this year?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#104 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:33 pm

BigO wrote:
emunney wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Who am I watching today em? I’ve been working way too much this year

Missouri vs. Utah State: Kobe Brown and D'Moi Hodge for Missouri. Brown is a big wing 3/4 type whose shooting has exploded this year and sees the floor well; Hodge is a super long guard defender with great anticipation and he's also having a great year shooting it. Ashworth for Utah State is not a pro prospect -- he makes AJ Green look like Jalen Green -- but he's one of the best shooters in the country.

Virginia vs. Furman: Beekman is my guy even though my confidence in his offensive development is waning. Furman's got a possible pro in Jalen Slawson, do-it-all super senior forward. Slawson might not have the quickness for the next level but he's long, skilled, and smart.

Texas A&M vs. Penn State: PSU's Pickett is a 3 level shotmaker who operates a lot like Jrue offensively. Runs some pick and roll and can shoot off the dribble but seems to really prefer working with his back to the basket and using his body to create space for short jumpers. It'll be interesting to see how they match up, because Wade Taylor for A&M is super quick and slithery, but small. Excellent shooter and uses it to open up lanes to the rim, where he's not at all contact shy despite being short and skinny. There will likely be some cross matching because it doesn't seem like either one could guard the other one to me, but they're both fringe prospects.

Duke v. Oral Roberts: Super interesting matchup as Duke is very young as usual, and Abmas is the kind of pint-sized shot creator who has the potential to give anybody issues. ORU also has 7-3 Arkansas transfer Vanover, who has pretty nice touch and uses all his size defensively. Personally think Mark MItchell is Duke's best pro prospect this year but I suspect he stays in school and he's not a *great* prospect.

Arkansas vs. Illinois: 8 v. 9 seed game where both teams are underseeded and have multiple pro prospects. Arkansas has a ton of talent, and Illinois has a ton of experience.

Beekman is my favorite AAU player of all time and I've seen thousands. He cannot be sped up, is a great point guard and is a total winner. The Badgers screwed up and offered him real late (there's a lot more to this story).

But he has obvious deficiencies for the next level. Not a great scorer, can't get his own shot off and probably not a great penetrator at the next level. But he's a great passer and a great defender.

I would jump all over him in the second round, although I assume he is coming back next year. Comes from a great family that has gone thru a lot of tragedy.

Yeah, give me Beekman. Just a dude I would love to have on this team and I am certainly not going to bet against a kid like that from substantially improving once he gets to the NBA.

Curious to see how he measure, but yeah, sign me up. Would make a great Javon replacement, albeit not the scorer that Carter has become but probably a better facilitator and defender.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#105 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:37 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Dumb question, but do the Bucks have a draft pick this year?

Late late late 2nd
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,744

Post#106 » by CharityStripe34 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:01 pm

M-C-G wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Dumb question, but do the Bucks have a draft pick this year?

Late late late 2nd

This will make or break the franchise.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
emunney
RealGM
And1: 37,113

Post#107 » by emunney » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:26 pm

M-C-G wrote:

Late late late 2nd

I haven't seen a full accounting of the trade that reconciles with the "5 second rounders" reporting. I know we traded, for sure, the better of the two picks we would have had this year to the Pacers, next year's second ('24) to the Pacers, and the '28 and '29 2nds to the Nets. No idea what the fifth pick is or if it was misreported.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#108 » by emunney » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:27 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, Kobe Brown is the guy as far as realistic Bucks targets if we're thinking about buying into the early 2nd round. But I think with a good tourney he could really vault himself into mid-late 1st territory.

Nehm is Team Kobe too.

Read on Twitter
emunney
RealGM

Post#109 » by emunney » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:29 pm

He's just a good player. Could definitely see him being this years Brogdon/Bane, a guy who gets dinged for age/upside but has plenty of mental and physical tools to be a quality starter.
emunney
RealGM

Post#110 » by emunney » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:37 pm

This kid is a stud and should go top 10.

Read on Twitter
The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Post#111 » by The Wet Whistle » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:51 pm

Truly cant remember if I posted this in the college basketball thread already but does Kalkbrenner seem like he could be a Brook understudy? Seems like he'd play the same type of role on defense in a drop scheme.

His 3pt attempts are low enough that it wouldn't paint much of a picture of his range either way. FT% is pretty promising though
emunney
RealGM

Post#112 » by emunney » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:34 pm

I really love this player. Hadn't seen UCONN this year before the tournament, and the shot is fug, but a brilliant player and a top shelf athlete on top of it. Very good bet imo. Lots of Iguodala comps incoming if they haven't arrived yet.

Read on Twitter
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,749

Post#113 » by machu46 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:13 pm

emunney wrote:I really love this player. Hadn't seen UCONN this year before the tournament, and the shot is fug, but a brilliant player and a top shelf athlete on top of it. Very good bet imo. Lots of Iguodala comps incoming if they haven't arrived yet.

Read on Twitter

He was one of the recent ones that got away from Syracuse. Very, very good basketball player. Really curious to see how he turns out in the NBA given the shooting woes but he's a lot of fun to watch.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,749

Post#114 » by machu46 » Mon Apr 3, 2023 7:42 pm

Still selfishly hoping he comes back to Syracuse as he's currently being mocked mostly in the 2nd round, but I feel that I need to post this because I don't get the opportunity to post a scouting report for a Syracuse player very often anymore and I think he could sneak into the 1st round this year and will definitely be mocked in the 1st round next season if he returns.

trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
emunney
RealGM

Post#115 » by emunney » Mon Apr 3, 2023 8:14 pm

Every year I seem to have a guy who I think is just woefully overlooked as a prospect. This year, that guy for me is Bilal Coulibaly, who I haven't seen mocked in the top 25 anywhere, but who I think has all-star upside. Split his time this year between the French junior league (where he dominated) and as a role player on Wemby's Pro A club.

Long 6-6, but my guess is he'll measure out closer to 6-8. Tough competitor, doesn't back down despite how skinny he is. Really reminds me a lot of Giannis physically, but smaller. If you watch him handle the ball in transition, I think you'd get the comparison. Long strides, runs with a lean, natural handle and vision, menaces his age group.

Not sure how we'd do it, but I'd fully endorse a trade into the 20s to get him.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,035

Post#116 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Apr 4, 2023 3:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So I haven't watched college basketball at all, but just looking at the Ringer's draft guide and Zach Edey isn't one of their top 30 prospects? I find it hard to believe he won't be a solid piece in the NBA.
You can't believe lesser Boban won't be a solid piece?

Can you imagine that poor fellow getting switched on? I would pay money for the hilarity that would ensue.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Post#117 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 4, 2023 3:51 pm

I'll be one of the guys that makes the argument to draft Brandon Miller #2 over Scoot. Gives me some lanky Jayson Tatum vibes, except he's actually a better shooter/ISO scorer than Tatum was at the same age. If the legal/off court stuff is past him, I don't think I'd wanna be the GM to pass on that type of wing scorer talent. Scoot could be special as well, but it kinda scares me that he reminds me so much of Emmanuel Mudiay (jump-out-the-gym athlete built like a RB, but questionable jumper and defensive effort/commitment).
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#118 » by PANDEMONEUM » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:58 am

some guys listed near the 60th pick.
i like, Ryan Kalkbrenner

Adama Sanogo
C | UConn
6'9" 245 lbs
Junior 21.2 yrs

Reece Beekman
PG | Virginia
6'3" 190 lbs
Junior 21.5 yrs

Kevin McCullar
SG | Kansas
6'6" 210 lbs
Senior 22.1 yrs

Emoni Bates
SF | Eastern Michigan
6'9" 190 lbs
Sophomore 19.2 yrs

Mouhamed Gueye
PF | Washington State
6'11" 210 lbs
Sophomore 20.4 yrs

Drew Timme
PF/C | Gonzaga
6'9.25" 232 lbs
Senior 22.6 yrs

Trey Alexander
SG | Creighton
6'4" 190 lbs
Sophomore 19.9 yrs

Jordan Walsh
SF | Arkansas
6'7" 200 lbs
Freshman 19.1 yrs

Ryan Kalkbrenner
C | Creighton
7'1" 256 lbs
Junior 21.2 yrs

Arthur Kaluma
PF | Creighton
6'7" 220 lbs
Sophomore 21.1 yrs
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,992

Post#119 » by Badgerlander » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:03 am

Read on Twitter
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
emunney
RealGM

Post#120 » by emunney » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Wow, I had totally missed that DeAndre Williams was that old. I hate to say it, but: too old.

There are a few guys on my radar at PIT, though. Porter is really explosive and has uncanny timing around the rim, very athletic, high effort connector. I've mentioned Hodge before, but basically a shooter whose length and anticipation shrinks passing lanes. Kinsey is kind of a third Martin brother. Would happily add any of these guys on a 2 way.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks