Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,800

Re: Let the Real Offseason Moves Begin! 

Post#121 » by azwfan » Mon May 15, 2023 2:00 am

Onus wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:Can’t wait for the “it’s a great time out” era again huh?

That's right cause the only way to win is with Draymond Green!
I mean, there's 4 teams in the conference finals right now, none of which have Draymond Green, but putting that aside, the only way to win is to have Draymond!

The 4 remaining teams have bam, horford/Williams, and ad. The nuggets really are the only team that doesn’t have defensive eraser. So unless you know of a way to replace dray with a player like that then yea he’s a vital part of the team.

I mean, we already have him, and not only did we not win, we didn't seem very close. Juice not worth the squeeze.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,732

Post#122 » by Onus » Mon May 15, 2023 2:03 am

azwfan wrote:
Onus wrote:
azwfan wrote:That's right cause the only way to win is with Draymond Green!
I mean, there's 4 teams in the conference finals right now, none of which have Draymond Green, but putting that aside, the only way to win is to have Draymond!

The 4 remaining teams have bam, horford/Williams, and ad. The nuggets really are the only team that doesn’t have defensive eraser. So unless you know of a way to replace dray with a player like that then yea he’s a vital part of the team.

I mean, we already have him, and not only did we not win, we didn't seem very close. Juice not worth the squeeze.

We lost game 1 by 5 points and game 4 by 3 points. Seems rather close.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,440

Post#123 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 15, 2023 2:16 am

watch1958 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
It is mind boggling that we ever had Poole haters.
Poole has his problems but there are not many people that I would want to replace Poole with as our 2nd scorer who fits with the teal.

You have been wrong about Poole all year. Hopefully Poole will win you over next year.

i have been wrong about Poole? ok :lol:
If you’re so smart, why didn’t you suggest trading him last summer when his value was high?

now thats just well done :lol:
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,734

Post#124 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon May 15, 2023 3:34 am

whatisacenter wrote:
azwfan wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
What excuses are being made for Draymond? ...

You can like Poole and hate Draymond personally, that's fine, but one has absolutely been worth the headache, while the other has not

Answered your own question.

I’m with azwfan, I don’t think Draymond on the court is even worth everything else that comes with him anymore. I’m done rooting for him as a fan as well.

I think you should root for some other team.
Hating Poole is stupid but hating Draymond is stupid and treason.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,643

Post#125 » by clyde21 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:09 am

what's everyone's plan at 4 if we don't bring Dray back exactly? i understand podmond is a headache and can get annoying to root for, but he's still a top 2 defender for us and a top 2 playmaker for us, who understands this system in and out and imo still a great guy to have around young players to learn from (Poole punch notwithstanding).

Dray's archetype is just very difficult to find...on the other hand Poole's is very easy, undersized score-first guards who don't defend are a dime dozen...especially one that don't make 30m a pop.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,570

Post#126 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 15, 2023 5:04 am

clyde21 wrote:what's everyone's plan at 4 if we don't bring Dray back exactly? i understand podmond is a headache and can get annoying to root for, but he's still a top 2 defender for us and a top 2 playmaker for us, who understands this system in and out and imo still a great guy to have around young players to learn from (Poole punch notwithstanding).

Dray's archetype is just very difficult to find...on the other hand Poole's is very easy, undersized score-first guards who don't defend are a dime dozen...especially one that don't make 30m a pop.

I think dray is back. If for some reason he has a wink wink deal with klutch to join the lakers, I call the nets to see if a poole simmons swap has legs.

Poole/joku for simmons/cam Thomas/and maybe a pick

Or go all in on siakam

Poole/joku/+ whatever picks for siakam
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,424

Post#127 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 15, 2023 5:08 am

Cam Thomas is a very similar player to Poole
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#128 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 15, 2023 5:11 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Cam Thomas is a very similar player to Poole

Yes, except he's making 2M while poole makes 27M.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#129 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 15, 2023 5:18 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

But that trade idea also gives us Simmons who makes like 40 million a year and is actually a worse player than Poole

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#130 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 15, 2023 5:23 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

But that trade idea also gives us Simmons who makes like 40 million a year and is actually a worse player than Poole

Simmons has 1 less year on his deal and could, I repeat could, help replace the intangibles void left behind by dray. Without dray, we will need to implement a whole new system and finding a plug and play facsimile of dray is not easy. Imo, Simmons isn't a worse player than Poole, he's only a worse scorer than Poole.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#131 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 15, 2023 5:25 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

3 years ago Wiggins was the worst contract in the league and some people didnt believe he belonged in a NBA rotation

Simmons is maligned as someone who doesnt care.. ok. He's played on 2 very iso-heavy teams, and he's clearly one of those enhancement type players. So let me ask you this - what would Draymond look like on iso-heavy teams? If you think he's unhinged here..

Simmons doesnt have the fire of Draymond for sure, but aside from LeBron, do you see anyone who's as closely matched to Dray than Simmons? And the best part is.. his value is so far negative that if we did decide to go this route, we could probably salvage a lot of extra value to build up a bench

Not that I'd go this route, because it would mean you have to get rid of Draymond and that's just not gonna happen. But if it did.. if we basically traded Draymond/Poole and came out with Simmons/Cam Thomas and some extra value.. wouldn't kick that outta bed :dontknow:

Also a key point on Cam Thomas/Poole - the difference between these guys is less about talent and more about opportunity. These types of players, dating back to Monta and well before that, would get paid on bad teams when they started logging tons of minutes, with the hopes that the floor game would develop around that scoring. Its the NBA honeypot.. if we had an opportunity to undo that, bring in Cam Thomas for a year or 2 while simultaneously drafting a guy like that in the 2nd - or increasing Quinones' role - I think that would be a great idea
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#132 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 15, 2023 5:27 am

I think that dude is totally done, I don’t see him ever getting close to his old self again. He doesn’t even look at the basket at this point.

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,739

Post#133 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 15, 2023 5:31 am

clyde21 wrote:what's everyone's plan at 4 if we don't bring Dray back exactly? i understand podmond is a headache and can get annoying to root for, but he's still a top 2 defender for us and a top 2 playmaker for us, who understands this system in and out and imo still a great guy to have around young players to learn from (Poole punch notwithstanding).

Sounds like he will be back from all the reports that have come out, so it's probable moot, but I am ok with the Warriors changing up the system some. The system really bogged down with Looney and Draymond on the court together during the playoffs and some of their best moments came when they went away from it and just let Curry cook.

I also think that as Curry ages that he might benefit from not having to put in all those miles running off-ball constantly and that he might have more energy for defense and end of game opportunities. Not saying they should scrap the current system entirely but it's effectiveness in the postseason has always decreased some, and with the talent of the core decreasing, it was more than ever this past one.

I would be curious to see Curry with a teammate who can really attack the rim and a roster without two players who aren't scorers. But again, all the reporting is making it sound like the core will be back with just JK and JP moved and DDV leaving via FA.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#134 » by CDM_Stats » Mon May 15, 2023 5:32 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:I think that dude is totally done, I don’t see him ever getting close to his old self again. He doesn’t even look at the basket at this point.

Do you think if he caught an offensive rebound over a guard down 1 with seconds to play, he'd put it back in?

Or do you think he'd pass on multiple wide open layups?

We've dealt w/it before, by no means a dealbreaker. If you were really excellent at your job, worked hard at it.. and they moved you to a division that didn't need any of your skills.. you might be a little mopey too. I'm just saying, don't write the guy off entirely for being placed into situations that devalue what he does extremely well. He was the #1 overall pick for a reason, just like Wiggins

But just like Wiggins, he's a victim of his draft status. If he was the #1 pick in the 2nd round, people would be swinging from his danglers
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#135 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 15, 2023 5:35 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Simmons has 1 less year on his deal and could, I repeat could, help replace the intangibles void left behind by dray. Without dray, we will need to implement a whole new system and finding a plug and play facsimile of dray is not easy. Imo, Simmons isn't a worse player than Poole, he's only a worse scorer than Poole.

are you pairing Simmons with Looney? the spacing would be just as bad if not worse than it Is with Dray and Looney.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#136 » by clyde21 » Mon May 15, 2023 6:24 am

whatisacenter wrote:

Sounds like he will be back from all the reports that have come out, so it's probable moot, but I am ok with the Warriors changing up the system some. The system really bogged down with Looney and Draymond on the court together during the playoffs and some of their best moments came when they went away from it and just let Curry cook.

I also think that as Curry ages that he might benefit from not having to put in all those miles running off-ball constantly and that he might have more energy for defense and end of game opportunities. Not saying they should scrap the current system entirely but it's effectiveness in the postseason has always decreased some, and with the talent of the core decreasing, it was more than ever this past one.

I would be curious to see Curry with a teammate who can really attack the rim and a roster without two players who aren't scorers. But again, all the reporting is making it sound like the core will be back with just JK and JP moved and DDV leaving via FA.

i mean you can change the system I guess but i still don't see a viable option at the 4 if Dray leaves regardless of the system we're running...who are we gonna put there? Are we comfortable with Minga starting at the 4 now?

Dray is still one of our best defenders, one of our best screeners, and one of our best playmakers...it's just way too tough to replace that in one off season.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#137 » by clyde21 » Mon May 15, 2023 6:26 am

really in today's NBA you have 3 types of 4s:

1) the point forward type

2) the stretch 4

3) the combo big who can also play small ball 5 for u, but even those guys don't play big minutes if they don't do 1 or 2

who on our roster can do any of these things @ starting level other than Dray? Dray can do 1 and 2, we have PBJ who can theoretically by a stretch 4 but that's a huge unknown, Minga theoretically can be 1 and 3 like Dray...but agains still a huge stretch.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#138 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 15, 2023 6:31 am

Just read that slowmo deleted the twolves off his Instagram a couple of weeks ago.

Sign and trade Naz Reid, maybe 4/60 and slo mo for poole.

We'd get a wing who can defend and facilitate, iggy-ish and a big who can stretch the floor. A big rotation of dray, loon, and Reid is pretty diverse.

Twolves get a young pg to pair with ant.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#139 » by clyde21 » Mon May 15, 2023 6:37 am

Slomo would be a nice fit in this system, same with Naz...I like that
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#140 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 15, 2023 6:43 am

clyde21 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

i mean you can change the system I guess but i still don't see a viable option at the 4 if Dray leaves regardless of the system we're running...who are we gonna put there? Are we comfortable with Minga starting at the 4 now?

Dray is still one of our best defenders, one of our best screeners, and one of our best playmakers...it's just way too tough to replace that in one off season.

I haven't looked into who to target as possible replacements because it sounds like he is coming back on an extension which I am not in favor of. I think his defense is slipping and two years from now it will be much worse. If Draymond were to opt out I would want to move Klay and Poole to add pieces to Curry, Wiggins and Looney. If it were up to me, I would make everyone available except Curry and Wiggins.

I also don't think he is a great guy to have with the young players. I don't think the core 3 as vets did a very good job of leading this roster in the locker room or on the court. And judging by the way Kerr has used the lottery picks they should have just traded them to begin with.

I think if they just move JK and JP to add to this core they will be a second round out again next season at best.

Return to Golden State Warriors