Re: 2022-23 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#1221 » by Baseline81 » Sat May 20, 2023 7:11 pm

Read on Twitter
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1222 » by HIF » Sat May 20, 2023 7:44 pm

Baphomet wrote:Forest beat Arsenal to stay up and hand City the league in the process, even if it was just a formality at this point.

Looking ominous for Leicester and Everton since Leeds have Spurs final day, and will likely win.

I'd rather go down with Everton than Leeds anyway. They deserve it.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#1223 » by wco81 » Mon May 22, 2023 10:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Someone else observed that congratulating City for winning the PL title again is like congratulating a billionaire's kid for having a nice house.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1224 » by HIF » Tue May 23, 2023 8:51 am

So the football Gods maintain the game.

Must beat West Ham and if Everton somehow lose or draw with Bournemouth we stay in the prem. If not it's the championship.

HIF
RealGM

Post#1225 » by HIF » Thu May 25, 2023 9:24 am

37 matches down and yet the most competitive football league in the world still has a couple of questions to solve. Who takes 7th and European football and who gets relegated.

Even though we have 2 great posters who follow Spurs and villa, I'm hoping that Brentford somehow sneak the 7th spot - what a season that would be for them. If not then Villa deserve it and spurs would benefit most from not playing the matches next season - as with Arsenal this season.

At the bottom Everton simply have to beat Bournemouth at home to be sure of prem football next season . seems the easiest of fixtures and the most likely outcome. Having stayed up on the last day of last season and flirted with relegation the season before it would be nice to see Everton relegated though. If they don't win then Leicester have the chance of staying up if they beat West Ham. They can do that. Not saying they will but they can. However it may be better for the club in the long term if they are relegated and resort to a root and branch renewal of the setup over the summer. If both teams lose then Leeds could still save their status with a victory over spurs. Few would believe that possible but let's be honest, in our most competitive of leagues and looking at spurs recent form, even that IS possible.

Roll on Sunday and then roll on the summer transfer window.

HIF
RealGM

Post#1226 » by HIF » Thu May 25, 2023 9:29 am

Congratulations to Brighton for their 6th place finish. I think they are fun to watch and a great story but some of the media writeups are just ridiculous. They finished 6th, 3 wins away from even a CL spot. Next season they'll face a much more hectic schedule, personally I'd hold off before claiming a new era. it could easily be one and done. I think Villa will certainly be better than them next season. they could easily finish in the bottom half of the table.

Brentford and Fulham were the bigger stories this season, in my opinion, and they could be in a relegation battle again next season. That's how competitive this league is.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,269

Post#1227 » by Shaazzam » Fri May 26, 2023 4:03 am

Got a cup and Champion's League spot. Good start under Ten Hag. Need a striker badly.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#1228 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 26, 2023 4:36 am

HIF wrote:37 matches down and yet the most competitive football league in the world still has a couple of questions to solve. Who takes 7th and European football and who gets relegated.

Even though we have 2 great posters who follow Spurs and villa, I'm hoping that Brentford somehow sneak the 7th spot - what a season that would be for them. If not then Villa deserve it and spurs would benefit most from not playing the matches next season - as with Arsenal this season.

At the bottom Everton simply have to beat Bournemouth at home to be sure of prem football next season . seems the easiest of fixtures and the most likely outcome. Having stayed up on the last day of last season and flirted with relegation the season before it would be nice to see Everton relegated though. If they don't win then Leicester have the chance of staying up if they beat West Ham. They can do that. Not saying they will but they can. However it may be better for the club in the long term if they are relegated and resort to a root and branch renewal of the setup over the summer. If both teams lose then Leeds could still save their status with a victory over spurs. Few would believe that possible but let's be honest, in our most competitive of leagues and looking at spurs recent form, even that IS possible.

Volatile =/= competitive. There's not even an apparent correlation between quality and either of those things anyways.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1229 » by HIF » Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 am

SgtPepper wrote:
HIF wrote:37 matches down and yet the most competitive football league in the world still has a couple of questions to solve. Who takes 7th and European football and who gets relegated.

Volatile =/= competitive. There's not even an apparent correlation between quality and either of those things anyways.

winning a playoff does not equal the best team over a season. Playoffs are simply the equivalent of the Carabao cup.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,269

Post#1230 » by Shaazzam » Fri May 26, 2023 4:10 pm

Gimmie that Carabao! :P
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#1231 » by Baphomet » Sun May 28, 2023 4:36 pm

Leicester staying up as it stands, with a half of football to be played.

Tense.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1232 » by Baphomet » Sun May 28, 2023 4:47 pm

Everton score... that's Everton safe and Leicester down as it stands.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#1233 » by magik9113 » Sun May 28, 2023 5:10 pm

What a strike from Doucoure.
Under 15 min left.
Edit: 10 min of stoppage to add to the tension
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1234 » by Baphomet » Sun May 28, 2023 5:24 pm

Pickford keeping Everton in the PL, what a save
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1235 » by Baphomet » Sun May 28, 2023 5:32 pm

It's over for Leicester. What a shame.

Comiserations to HIF.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1236 » by HIF » Sun May 28, 2023 7:05 pm

Looks like I'll be on my own in the championship thread :-)

MetalFingaz
Starter
And1: 2,800

Post#1237 » by MetalFingaz » Sun May 28, 2023 10:13 pm

HIF wrote:Looks like I'll be on my own in the championship thread :-)

Hopefully we see you lot back up soon.
It's time for 5 refs.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#1238 » by LDNMagic90 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:38 am

Commiserations HIF, it’s a shame you guys went down after an amazing period(bar the last season) in the prem. I’m sure you guys will bounce right back. If only Brendan was gone sooner, it could’ve saved you guys.
HIF
RealGM

Post#1239 » by HIF » Mon May 29, 2023 9:43 am

LDNMagic90 wrote:

Commiserations HIF, it’s a shame you guys went down after an amazing period(bar the last season) in the prem. I’m sure you guys will bounce right back. If only Brendan was gone sooner, it could’ve saved you guys.

We got what we deserved. Owner who has no idea, board who have been stealing a living on vichai's coattails, a manager well up his own arse and a bunch of players who believed their own press until it was far too late.

Have you seen the lineup in the championship next season. That is going to be a competitive and bruising campaign.

LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#1240 » by LDNMagic90 » Mon May 29, 2023 9:59 am

HIF wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:

We got what we deserved. Owner who has no idea, board who have been stealing a living on vichai's coattails, a manager well up his own arse and a bunch of players who believed their own press until it was far too late.

Have you seen the lineup in the championship next season. That is going to be a competitive and bruising campaign.

Hopefully either your owner sells up, I wouldn’t be surprised if you find suitors sooner than you think. Or have a top director of football to handle all things football related alongside your new head coach. You can generate a fair bit of money from selling your main players and then integrate your young players and buy some young players with big potential. Similar to Burnley I guess, the championship is one of/if not the most competitive competition in club football so it’s going to be a battleground. However I believe you guys will be back in the prem come next season if the structure/recruitment goes well.

Return to The General Soccer Board