ImageImage

OT - Things to do in Portland/OR?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Wickzki
Starter
And1: 291

Re: OT - Things to do in Portland/OR? 

Post#61 » by Wickzki » Fri Jun 3, 2022 5:32 pm

I don't want to start a new thread for this but....

Dame is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

He's in Australia, my home town actually, for a boxing match on Sunday.
Ruma85
Starter
And1: 978

Post#62 » by Ruma85 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:28 am

Wickzki wrote:I don't want to start a new thread for this but....

Dame is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

He's in Australia, my home town actually, for a boxing match on Sunday.

Dame is dope, I haven't met him but seems like a real good person.
Myth
RealGM
And1: 9,022

Post#63 » by Myth » Thu Jul 6, 2023 12:18 am

How about things to do in McMinnville? I’m preparing to move back to Oregon after being gone for over a decade, and I’ve spent little time in that town, but that is where I’m heading. Only memorable thing I really did there was the aviation museum and water park. I also know it is known for its vineyards, which doesn’t appeal to me directly, but my wife likes wine.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,398

Post#64 » by DC_Melo » Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:04 am

Myth wrote:How about things to do in McMinnville? I’m preparing to move back to Oregon after being gone for over a decade, and I’ve spent little time in that town, but that is where I’m heading. Only memorable thing I really did there was the aviation museum and water park. I also know it is known for its vineyards, which doesn’t appeal to me directly, but my wife likes wine.

I was just in McMinnville during my last trip to Oregon. I think u pretty much listed all the big stuff lol. Bit of a college town IIRC. But it’s less than an hour to Lincoln city and and not much more to downtown Portland, so it’s within driving range of a lot of fun stuff.
Myth
RealGM
And1: 9,022

Post#65 » by Myth » Mon Aug 7, 2023 3:09 am

DC_Melo wrote:
Myth wrote:How about things to do in McMinnville? I’m preparing to move back to Oregon after being gone for over a decade, and I’ve spent little time in that town, but that is where I’m heading. Only memorable thing I really did there was the aviation museum and water park. I also know it is known for its vineyards, which doesn’t appeal to me directly, but my wife likes wine.

I was just in McMinnville during my last trip to Oregon. I think u pretty much listed all the big stuff lol. Bit of a college town IIRC. But it’s less than an hour to Lincoln city and and not much more to downtown Portland, so it’s within driving range of a lot of fun stuff.

Plans changed anyway. Staying east coast.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 3,768

Post#66 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Been thinking of making a PDX trip this Spring or summer. Flights got more expensive (like everything else). Used to find $49-$89 tickets easily, now it's more.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,529

Post#67 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:29 am

Read through the thread, and definitely have plans to visit all of the aforementioned spots.

I'm an East Coaster, but literally just moved to Portland for work. Excited about it, since I had never left the East Coast before. My first impressions, after having plenty of experience in cities like NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston: Portland is like any other big city in terms of what it has to offer, both good and bad.

But the homelessness and drugs is definitely new in terms of what I've seen, just from an initial impression. I have a nice apartment in SW Portland, and kind of just getting the lay of the land, but seems like there are homeless people wherever you go really, and I've seen many people just openly shooting up on the street as I've walked by, and homeless tents pitched up by all of the bridges and highways. Nobody has been aggressive or anything like that, nobody outright coming up to me asking for money or anything, and I'm not trying to stigmatize, but it's just different. Obviously, we have homeless people and drug problems (and they both kind of go hand in hand) out East, but I guess it's not nearly as in your face? Doesn't necessarily make it better, but I guess it's more isolated in certain areas of those cities rather than pretty much throughout, which is the vibe I get in Portland. Is that accurate, or not really, and I just haven't seen enough yet? What would you guys say are the major issues contributing to these problems that are especially affecting the big West Coast cities? Before I came here, I was reading up as much as I could, and cities like Seattle/Portland/SF are especially mentioned as having serious issues with homelessness and drug addiction.

But I don't have a major problem with it, like I said, I've been in other major cities, these issues exist everywhere, and unfortunately, it's especially an issue in urban areas. Portland has a lot of great stuff that I've yet to explore, with regards to the nature, the architecture, and the food (I'm not a drinker, so unfortunately the beer scene doesn't do much for me lol...i do love my coffee though).

I'm here for 2 years at least, so I'll have plenty of time to check out the city and the surrounding areas. Definitely gonna hit up a Blazers game too.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#68 » by cdubbz » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:15 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Read through the thread, and definitely have plans to visit all of the aforementioned spots.

I'm an East Coaster, but literally just moved to Portland for work. Excited about it, since I had never left the East Coast before. My first impressions, after having plenty of experience in cities like NYC, Philly, Chicago, Boston: Portland is like any other big city in terms of what it has to offer, both good and bad.

But the homelessness and drugs is definitely new in terms of what I've seen, just from an initial impression. I have a nice apartment in SW Portland, and kind of just getting the lay of the land, but seems like there are homeless people wherever you go really, and I've seen many people just openly shooting up on the street as I've walked by, and homeless tents pitched up by all of the bridges and highways. Nobody has been aggressive or anything like that, nobody outright coming up to me asking for money or anything, and I'm not trying to stigmatize, but it's just different. Obviously, we have homeless people and drug problems (and they both kind of go hand in hand) out East, but I guess it's not nearly as in your face? Doesn't necessarily make it better, but I guess it's more isolated in certain areas of those cities rather than pretty much throughout, which is the vibe I get in Portland. Is that accurate, or not really, and I just haven't seen enough yet? What would you guys say are the major issues contributing to these problems that are especially affecting the big West Coast cities? Before I came here, I was reading up as much as I could, and cities like Seattle/Portland/SF are especially mentioned as having serious issues with homelessness and drug addiction.

But I don't have a major problem with it, like I said, I've been in other major cities, these issues exist everywhere, and unfortunately, it's especially an issue in urban areas. Portland has a lot of great stuff that I've yet to explore, with regards to the nature, the architecture, and the food (I'm not a drinker, so unfortunately the beer scene doesn't do much for me lol...i do love my coffee though).

I'm here for 2 years at least, so I'll have plenty of time to check out the city and the surrounding areas. Definitely gonna hit up a Blazers game too.

Welcome to Portland! (I don't live in Portland anymore).

I lived in Portland for 2 years 2018-2020. Loved it year round. It's on the smaller side of a city, but there is lot to explore in Portland metro area. Portland games were super cheap and I went to A LOT of games. If you have a car enjoy the surrounding areas -- Seattle is only 3 hours away and if you like big cities it's a lot of fun. I haven't been back to Portland since, but I've regained my interest in the Blazers and I want to catch a game this fall.

Politics is what makes these West Coast cities trash. The way voters vote and policies that get approved, Defunding the police etc etc.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 11,456

Post#69 » by JRoy » Sun Jul 14, 2024 9:20 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Read through the thread, and definitely have plans to visit all of the aforementioned spots.

I hit the Oregon Caves in Southern Oregon and hiked Silver Falls a few weeks, took the wife to the coast last weekend.

This is beautiful place and getting out of town and forgetting about the politics is a great way to unwind.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#70 » by cdubbz » Fri Aug 2, 2024 3:30 pm

Can't wait for the schedule to come out so I can plan a trip to catch a game.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,106

Post#71 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Aug 3, 2024 7:17 pm

Bend in Central Oregon (3-hour drive) is a fun town. They have a river you can float on for a couple miles. There is rafting (maybe 2-hours from Portland that is a lot of fun. You have the mountains in the winter for skiing, the beach is just 90-minutes away. There I'd a lot of fun places. Go visit the various waterfalls and then laugh when someone brags about their trickle of a waterfall. Welcome to P-town.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 11,456

Post#72 » by JRoy » Mon Sep 9, 2024 12:54 am

Just came back from Vista House in the Columbia Gorge. Great view.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers