ImageImage

Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread

Moderators: BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben

bravor
Starter
And1: 750

Re: Prodigal Son: The Miles Bridges Thread 

Post#881 » by bravor » Sun May 12, 2024 1:32 pm

for the record, i made a quick average for Bridges's stats - based on bball reference stat sheet - this year against PO opponents.

https://imgur.com/a/EFaRMLA

Basically, he is still a negative impact player against the teams you wish to compete against (and it would be worst if i had to add play in teams as he had bad games against Houston for instance).

The only thing ppl might agree with is that Hornets should not lose him for nothing. But he's nowhere close to being an absolute keeper.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#882 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 1:40 pm

bravor wrote:for the record, i made a quick average for Bridges's stats - based on bball reference stat sheet - this year against PO opponents.

https://imgur.com/a/EFaRMLA

Basically, he is still a negative impact player against the teams you wish to compete against (and it would be worst if i had to add play in teams as he had bad games against Houston for instance).

The only thing ppl might agree with is that Hornets should not lose him for nothing. But he's nowhere close to being an absolute keeper.

All the good teams are good because they can scheme against good players.

Miles drew extra attention because LaMelo wasn't on the floor. Miller drew more and more attention as the season wore on.

The return of LaMelo will force teams to focus primarily on LaMelo and Miller. Miles is going to punish teams who slack off him. He's a solid third option, better than PJ is with the Mavs.

He's going to earn far more than PJ because he's a better player and he's unrestricted. Teams didn't bid on PJ because they didn't want to freeze money knowing Hornets would match.
It has been written...
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 4,034

Post#883 » by EmpireFalls » Sun May 12, 2024 1:54 pm

**** him for what he did, **** him for his lifeless, selfish empty calories play on court, **** the franchise for bringing him back, and lastly **** him again for holding us hostage like this.

If he could be banned from the NBA that would be the best possible solution. I don’t want him on my team. I also know that we can’t lose his asset for free. This is the type of thing that keeps me up at night.
vorbis
Veteran
And1: 687

Post#884 » by vorbis » Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 pm

for me, best case scenario is honestly a sign-and-trade where he becomes some other team's problem. maybe he continues his ascent into a core player but I'm not bothered to miss out on that. fair or not, the spark for him is gone for me.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#885 » by Rich4114 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:02 pm

Whatever happens, I just would like to see it resolved quickly at the start of free agency. I'm going to lose my mind if we're wondering what will happen still by the end of August or something.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,787

Post#886 » by yosemiteben » Sun May 12, 2024 5:04 pm

Honestly haven't thought about Miles for a bit, since the season ended I've just been checking out draft stuff then watching playoff stuff.

Don't feel strongly about any option other than losing Miles for no assets, which would be catastrophic.
Snidely FC
Head Coach
And1: 3,227

Post#887 » by Snidely FC » Tue Jun 4, 2024 11:49 am

The Hornets shouldn’t expect any type of “hometown discount” in their negotiations with free agent forward Miles Bridges, Roderick Boone of The Charlotte Observer writes in a mailbag column. Even though Bridges has stated several times that he would like to re-sign with Charlotte, Boone expects him to take the best available offer regardless of which team it comes from.

Boone points out that Bridges is represented by Rich Paul of Klutch Sports, who encourages his clients to get the maximum possible value in contract talks. Paul advised Bridges to sign his qualifying offer from the Hornets last summer, which has made him unrestricted as he hits the open market after averaging career highs with 21.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per game this season.

Boone points to the Pistons, who will have the most cap space of any team this summer, as a potential suitor for Bridges, meaning the Hornets will have to make a significant offer to bring him back.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#888 » by Bassman » Tue Jun 4, 2024 12:07 pm

Yep, we all suspected this from the Klutch “show me the money” gang. Can also probably forget any morals clauses that protect the franchise from a return of stupid.

I want Miles back but Hornets better go into this with eyes wide open. If he’s signed back with a massive contract, loses his $#*+ again and goes to prison, we’re stuck pigs. Picture that scenario coupled with another Melo ankle blowout and we’re crippled for five years.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,590

Post#889 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jun 4, 2024 12:21 pm

We need to have a backup plan. I think Bridges leaving is 50/50. Detroit has been rumored to want for the last few years. Anything over 30mil a year would be a overpay.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,606

Post#890 » by LofJ » Tue Jun 4, 2024 12:42 pm

Detroit keeps getting brought up because they have cap space and Miles is from Michigan, but I think it's overblown. There's a reason why he signed the qualifying offer last summer, it was because no other team in the league was willing to tie up their cap on him for reasons that should be obvious. And we (smartly for once) were not willing to bet against ourselves. That calculation has changed a bit now that he's unrestricted, but the reason for the hesitancy didn't just disappear. I could see a team like Utah that has proven it doesn't care about abuse of women making him a decent offer, but for most teams I'm willing to bet they will look elsewhere first.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#891 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jun 4, 2024 12:50 pm

LofJ wrote:Detroit keeps getting brought up because they have cap space and Miles is from Michigan, but I think it's overblown. There's a reason why he signed the qualifying offer last summer, it was because no other team in the league was willing to tie up their cap on him for reasons that should be obvious. And we (smartly for once) were not willing to bet against ourselves. That calculation has changed a bit now that he's unrestricted, but the reason for the hesitancy didn't just disappear. I could see a team like Utah that has proven it doesn't care about abuse of women making him a decent offer, but for most teams I'm willing to bet they will look elsewhere first.

Problem is the top guys are not realistic for anyone. We all expect LeBron/PG to return to their respective teams.

Philly makes sense as a backup option. He's basically a upgrade over Tobias Harris.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#892 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jun 4, 2024 2:59 pm

Detroit could decline Fournier option (likely) and still have around 65 million in cap space.
However, they are getting linked to Lavine (43 million)
Linked to Monk (20-25 million) in free agency
Linked to Hartenstein (20-25 million) in free agency
They are probably resigning Fontecchio to a decent deal around 13-15 million.

Yes Miles is an option, but it is not like they are the 76ers zeroed in on Paul George level of a threat.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#893 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jun 4, 2024 3:27 pm

He and the Hornets each have a number in mind. I hope they work something out early. If they do, he’s back but if this drags into the third week of free agency or later I’m just going to assume he’s gone. Losing him for nothing would be really bad though. He’s a draft pick that developed into a $20-$30m/yr player and one we traded an MVP candidate in SGA for. Losing that for nothing is pretty catastrophic. If they aren’t willing to meet his price, then they should be seeking a sign and trade for sure.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#894 » by Bassman » Tue Jun 4, 2024 5:07 pm

Rich4114 wrote: If they aren’t willing to meet his price, then they should be seeking a sign and trade for sure.

THIS! Even with Pistons having cap room, we have his bird rights, and only the Hornets can sign him to the extra year and more overall money. If Detroit wants him that bad, and greedy guts only want the most money, what is a good, reasonable target for a sign and trade? Any chance we could get Duren and some filler?
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#895 » by JMAC3 » Tue Jun 4, 2024 5:27 pm

Bassman wrote:
Rich4114 wrote: If they aren’t willing to meet his price, then they should be seeking a sign and trade for sure.

THIS! Even with Pistons having cap room, we have his bird rights, and only the Hornets can sign him to the extra year and more overall money. If Detroit wants him that bad, and greedy guts only want the most money, what is a good, reasonable target for a sign and trade? Any chance we could get Duren and some filler?

He isn't restricted so he is free to sign wherever, the only way I see a sign and trade being a feasible outcome is if the team acquiring him doesn't have the cap space to make the deal work... unlikely to be Detroit since they have so much space.

Unless Detroit was signing so many people they run out of space. again unlikely.
Rich4114
RealGM

Post#896 » by Rich4114 » Tue Jun 4, 2024 8:53 pm

Bassman wrote:

As JMAC mentioned, it’s less likely a sign and trade partner would be Detroit since they could sign him outright. Plus I don’t think we want anything on their roster other than Ivey maybe.

But a S&T opens the door for other teams who don’t have cap space but want to swap something out for Bridges.

It all depends on what his market value ends up being. Btw if we lose him I’d seriously consider resigning Kelly.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Post#897 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Jun 4, 2024 9:09 pm

I think it's imminent Miles returns.

Read on Twitter
It has been written...
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#898 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Jun 4, 2024 9:16 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:I think it's imminent Miles returns.

Read on Twitter

Miles and Melo still have some maturing to do.

Miles puts out his rap song with more explicit lyrics than NBA Youngboy. Cmon man choose better music to put out. Not a good look for a guy who's still trying to fix his image.

I hope Miller rubs off on these dudes. They are both talented, but man that IQ stuff they seem to lack off the court.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,256

Post#899 » by SWedd523 » Tue Jun 4, 2024 9:55 pm

I do wonder if it's worth getting rid of all of Melo's negative influences (ie Miles) as a way to force him to grow up.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 18,038

Post#900 » by Diop » Wed Jun 5, 2024 3:27 am

JMAC3 wrote:
Bassman wrote:

He isn't restricted so he is free to sign wherever, the only way I see a sign and trade being a feasible outcome is if the team acquiring him doesn't have the cap space to make the deal work... unlikely to be Detroit since they have so much space.

Unless Detroit was signing so many people they run out of space. again unlikely.

nah sometimes the agents pressure the signing team to do a sign and trade for that extra year and $.

doesn't mean you have a ton of leverage but you can get something out of it.

Return to Charlotte Hornets