ImageImageImage

Cabrera & Willis To Detroit?

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Cabrera & Willis To Detroit? 

Post#1 » by Flash3 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 8:29 pm

The Marlins, stalled in their attempts to trade third baseman Miguel Cabrera, could be laying the groundwork for an even bigger deal.

The Marlins and Tigers are engaged in preliminary talks about a blockbuster that would send Cabrera and left-hander Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for a package of young players, according to major-league sources. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396?MSNHPHMA

Detroit? Where did they come from?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#2 » by heat4life » Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:14 pm

ok deal if you ask me. It sounds like they are trying to force the Angels hand to get the players they really want and still keep Willis
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#3 » by Lane1974 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 9:16 pm

Michigan.

Not to mention Dave Dombrowski and his staff who are all with him discovered Miggy back when he was 16... and Detroit has some top prospects to offer, Miller the LHP and Maybin a CF. They also have a super rich owner (I think he is the Dominos Pizza founder or Papa Johns, something like that). I don't think they have enough to offer for Miggy & D-Train, but it depends how cheap Loria is feeling -- he could cut off 15-20 million of 2008 salary in one swoop.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Flash3 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:32 pm

Done Deal!

F'K!!!!! :curse:
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Lane1974 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:41 pm

pathetic

they should force the owner to sell. He gets $30M off the bat from mlb.com and their internet ventures. $30M from revenue sharing. $60M before he even sells a ticket and now the pay roll will be under $20M.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Flash3 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:45 pm

This is beyond upsetting, beyond!!

We have one of the BEST GMs in the game, yet we are strapped by an cheap m'fin *** owner. (pardon my lang, Lane); just frikkin upset!

Ugh!
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Lane1974 » Tue Dec 4, 2007 11:55 pm

Flash3 wrote:This is beyond upsetting, beyond!!

We have one of the BEST GMs in the game, yet we are strapped by an cheap m'fin *** owner. (pardon my lang, Lane); just frikkin upset!

Ugh!
what was *** supposed to be
travis minor
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#8 » by travis minor » Wed Dec 5, 2007 12:06 am

cameron freaking maybin..
maseda17
Senior
And1: 1

Post#9 » by maseda17 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:48 am

Red Sox fan here. I don't think this deal is bad for you at all. Cameron Maybin is a star in the making and Andrew Miller is one of the elite young left handed pitchers in all of baseball. Don't underestimate the value of a lefty who throws mid 90s and has a devastating Erik Bedard type slider. I like this more than the Angels package and I view Willis as overrated anyway. It is clear the Marlins were dead set on trading Miggy. Obviously it is ideal if you can resign him but with that not a possibility I think they cleaned up here. The deal would not have been consumated so quickly if they didn't feel they were getting great value back.
bulls 07
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#10 » by bulls 07 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:55 am

i feel bad for marlins fans, trading a 1st ballot hof'er. jesus f'in christ.

im going to miss watching fat boy miggy play. its a shame the talent that gets out of fla. enjoy hanley while you can.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:04 am

Lane1974 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what was *** supposed to be
Homo or something along those lines.

In reference to Sampson & Loria.
pimpstyl
Rookie

Post#12 » by pimpstyl » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:54 am

I'm very happy with the trade...we all knew they were gone - it's awesome that it wasn't in return for howie kendrick...
pimpstyl
Rookie

Post#13 » by pimpstyl » Wed Dec 5, 2007 4:58 am

bulls 07 wrote:i feel bad for marlins fans, trading a 1st ballot hof'er. jesus f'in christ.

im going to miss watching fat boy miggy play. its a shame the talent that gets out of fla. enjoy hanley while you can.

LOL!!! WOW!!! yeah, and now we have no chance of finishing ahead of the Mets...cause we were oh so close last year!!! let's keep in mind we can't finish below last place, it's not like we were racking up win after win with Cabrera...
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#14 » by wigglestrue » Wed Dec 5, 2007 5:04 am

It's not that bad a deal, since I think Miggy will be a shade worse in the AL and god knows what will happen to Dontrelle in the AL. Maybin and Miller are legit, and I think Eulogio could be harnessed into a serious pitcher too.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 5:10 am

^Does it really matter if we got prospects or horse maneaur in return?

As soon as they are producing, and arbitration eligible, they'll be turned over and moved, a la Willis/Beckett/Cabrera etc.

Why don't the fish offer reasonable contracts to their players like the Mets did with Reyes and Wright last year. They weren't over the top deals, but very moderate.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#16 » by Heat3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 8:22 am

someone on the Heat board said we are officially rebuilding.....from what? the Marlins are just a farm team for the rest of MLB. they got lucky one year under these jokers. this team should just be contracted...
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 1:44 pm

One thing about Beinfest and his staff, is that they know how to scout young talent, just look at some of the players they've gotten in trades over the years.

But, there has to come a time when you actually start to build AROUND those stud prospects turned great players (and in some cases superstars, which Miguel definitely was). Though, that part isn't up to Beinfest and his people, but ownership and their penny pinching ways.

If this team was to ever get an owner like Arison or if this team were to relocate elsewhere, you'll see how good this team really is/can be with the prospects we have, but we can't keep trading them away.

I hope and pray something gets done before another 3 years, because that is when Hanley is arbitration eligible, and you know they'll move him w/o even blinking....
OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Post#18 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:00 pm

I am going to assume that this should be the last fire sale because a stadium deal needs to be in place soon. Once the stadium deal is in place then the Marlins can start keeping some of there star talent when they are up for arbitration most notably Han-Ram. Beinfeist is a master at finding young talent and to say that Marlins didnt get a great deal is crazy. Cameron Maybin is going to be great patrolling center field which was a great need. People also need to realize that Cabrera was a defensive liability at third and we also have one of the best third base prospects in baseball in Matt Dominguez who should be in the majors by next year. Cabrera was a stud but this deal will work out in the long run for the Marlins much like there previous ones.

1. CF Cameron Maybin
2. 2B Dan Uggla
3. SS Hanley Ramirez
4. RF Jeremy Hermida
5. LF Josh Willingham
6. 1B Mike Jacobs
7. 3B Aaron Boone (3B Matt Dominguez) 2009
8. C Miguel Olivo
9. SP

Starting Rotation

1. Anibel Sanchez
2. Josh Johnson
3. Andrew Miller
4. Scott Olsen
5. Sergio Mitre

Team is still loaded in the lineup and should be very fun to watch. Andrew Miller is a stud lefty and will be better then Willis who has lost his magic since his rookie year and playoff run. Great deal for the penny pinching Marlins as I think they actually got better in this deal more so defensively which will help out our pitching staff.
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#19 » by heat4life » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:24 pm

OAKTREE NYK1 wrote:I am going to assume that this should be the last fire sale because a stadium deal needs to be in place soon. Once the stadium deal is in place then the Marlins can start keeping some of there star talent when they are up for arbitration most notably Han-Ram. Beinfeist is a master at finding young talent and to say that Marlins didnt get a great deal is crazy. Cameron Maybin is going to be great patrolling center field which was a great need. People also need to realize that Cabrera was a defensive liability at third and we also have one of the best third base prospects in baseball in Matt Dominguez who should be in the majors by next year. Cabrera was a stud but this deal will work out in the long run for the Marlins much like there previous ones.

1. CF Cameron Maybin
2. 2B Dan Uggla
3. SS Hanley Ramirez
4. RF Jeremy Hermida
5. LF Josh Willingham
6. 1B Mike Jacobs
7. 3B Aaron Boone (3B Matt Dominguez) 2009
8. C Miguel Olivo
9. SP

Starting Rotation

1. Anibel Sanchez
2. Josh Johnson
3. Andrew Miller
4. Scott Olsen
5. Sergio Mitre

Team is still loaded in the lineup and should be very fun to watch. Andrew Miller is a stud lefty and will be better then Willis who has lost his magic since his rookie year and playoff run. Great deal for the penny pinching Marlins as I think they actually got better in this deal more so defensively which will help out our pitching staff.

I heard they want to move Uggla to 3rd base because of his size and power. I am not sure what the options are at 2B if that's the case.

Also, Olivo still on the lineup? UGH!!! :banghead:
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Post#20 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 3:47 pm

Free Agent second baseman are nil. They where contemplating moving Uggla to third only if they where going to get there hands on Kendrick. Rabelo and Olivo will battle for the starting catching duties with Treanor somewhere in the mix. They need to just sign Aaron Boone who is the perfect clubhouse veteran leader and solid glove at third and just leave him there until Matt Dominguez is ready for big league ball.
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z

Return to Miami Marlins