Which Players Are Going to Make the Leap in 08...

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Which Players Are Going to Make the Leap in 08... 

Post#1 » by Chach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:04 pm

Don't just list players that have sexy names or whatever (I'm lookin at you bigboy). Give a few reasons why you like the guy.

Daniel Cortes- SP Royals
Turns 21 this week and is starting the year in AA. Excellent size and pretty clean mechanics. He still walk a few too many guys but it's only a 3.29/9, which is still a pretty decent clip, especially for a 20 year old in the Carolina League. If he can start to trust his change-up more, kid could be a top 10 pitching prospect by the end of the season. KG is a bit down on him but I really like him.

Tony Thomas- 2nd Cubs
He destroyed Division I and hit pretty good in his pro debut. Yeah, a .900 OPS is probably not something to expect at every spot but he draws a lot odf walks and has good power for a smaller sized guy. If he can cut down on his strikeout a bit and improve his defense to average, he could be Howie Kendrick redux. I actually see him as a Dustin Pedroia hitter without the defense.

Anthony Rizzo- 1st Red Sox
I'm calling it before the season starts, Rizzo will put up better stats than Lars Anderson did in Greenville this past year. Two very similar players in my eyes. Good raw power, advanced approach at the plate, surprisingly good defensive player, left handed bat. Lars put up a .288/.385/.443/.828 line in Greenville. Rizzo puts up a better line than that, an .850 OPS, and gets promoted in early August to Lancaster when Lars gets the bump to Portland.

Your turn. mahalo
~Chach~
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#2 » by Jose7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:22 pm

From my Mets:

SP- Jonathan Niese
Came into camp in shape unlike last year where he was 30 pounds overweight. Looked great in ST and really turned heads with his mound presence. He has a 12-6 curve which is his out pitch against left handers and he is developing a changeup against the righties as an outpitch. Has a his FB sits in the low 90s. His main problem like most young pitchers, control and he really improved from 06 to 07. BB/9 went from 4.51 in 2006 to 2.5 in 2007. 2nd half last year was much improved. Had a3.52 ERA and in his final 8 starts, he was 4-1, 45 IP with 42 strikeouts.

IF- Ruben Tejada
What did he hit like 600 this spring? He's 18 years old, made the jump from VSL to GCL last year in one season. Great plate discipline (19/16 BB/K), 286/395/370 at gulf coast league. He's not a power hitter but definitely a leadoff guy with great plate presence and he also stole 16 bases in just 32 games.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#3 » by TyCobb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Nick Noonan -- Born: May 4, 1989 Height: 6-0 Weight: 180 Bats: L Throws: R

Good plate discipline, nice speed, great baseball IQ, and makes good contact with the bat. The next Chase Utley, minus 10 or so homeruns.

Danny Duffy -- Born: December 21, 1988 Height: 6-2 Weight: 185 Bats: L Throws: L

Has the potential for a four-pitch mix (low to mid-90's fast, change, good curve, and a slider). Dominated in high school and continued in rookie ball after he was drafted. Posted a 15.19 K/9 to go with a 1.10 WHIP in just a little over 37 innings. Sleeper.

Andrew Lambo -- Born: August 11, 1988 Height: 6-3 Bats: L Throws: L

Great plate discipline, great power. Sleeper.

Daniel Carroll -- Born: January 6, 1989 Height: 6-1 Weight: 175 Bats: R Throws: R

Zoom, zoom. He's hella fast and finds ways to get on base. He has little to no power, but he is fast so STFU. Sleeper.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:25 pm

Other than my guys Juan Duran and Julio Teheran who are my favorite bonus babies and high draft picks.

Aaron Cunningham, Nick Weglarz, Cole Rohrbough, Wilmer Font, James McDonald, Michael Saunders are all guys I like that don't get a lot of mention.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Chach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm

Y'all not read or something?

Don't just list players that have sexy names or whatever (I'm lookin at you bigboy). Give a few reasons why you like the guy.

mahalo
~Chach~
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:34 pm

I only listed them because they have sexy names though.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#7 » by TyCobb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:54 pm

Fixed Chachie.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Chach » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:13 pm

Thank you Ty. I really like Duffy too. I didn't want to include two Royal on my list. A lefty who can hit 95 should get a look. KC is going to be a top 15 system next season, I'm calling it. mahalo
~Chach~
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#9 » by TyCobb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:22 pm

:oops: I almost forgot an Angels breakout player. How embarrassing.

Peter Bourjos: Born: March 31, 1987 Height: 6-1 Weight: 195 Bats: R Throws: R

Bourjos is extremely fast, just needs to work on his base stealing ability. He has a great glove, good arm, and an improving bat. Baseball America Top 50 next year, "book it".
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Wrong breakout player from the Angels, Cobb:

SP Trevor Reckling - LAA

Had a 55/7 K/BB in 36 innings for the AZL Angels last season. Lefty with a good fastball, a potentially plus changeup and possibly the best curve in the system. He's extremely raw and projectable and could possibly end up being one of the Angels Top 10 prospects next season.

Other players:

C Nick Derba - STL

Amazing defensive catcher displayed great plate discipline, walking in a little over 15% of his plate appearances last season. He's buried down on the depth chart but if he can convert those doubles into HRs, he may be one of the better sleeper prospects in the game.

OF Greg Halman - SEA

Halman's pretty raw - he played his first full pro season last year, starting the season at Single A Wisconsin as a 20-year-old with under 250 minor league at-bats. He didn't fare well and was sent down to A- Everett where he mashed the hell out of the ball, putting up an IsoP of .290. If he can hone his plate discipline and cut down on the K's he projects to be a power-hitting corner OF in the mold of Alfonso Soriano (the common comparison).
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#11 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:46 pm

C Mark Wagner -- I don't know. Someone has to replace Varitek because I'm gonna murder someone if Varitek gets a contract extension.
SS Argenis Diaz -- Ozzie Smith reincarnate.
OF Josh Reddick -- Does he count? Regardless, he has amazing contact ability, good power, good speed, strong arm. All of his tools are above average.
OF David Marks -- Now I'm just being a Red Sox homer.
C Orlando Mercado -- Now I'm just crazy.
RP Daniel Stange -- gets it up to 96, really good command, gets lots of groundballs, violent delivery. He's going to have to make it as a reliever.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
NH_soxfan14
Junior
And1: 1

Post#12 » by NH_soxfan14 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 12:48 am

Nick Hagadone- pitcher- red sox
Will start in Greenville, height 6-5' weight 230. Can touch 95 MPH for his fastball. He was a closer in college but still has potential to be a starter. I think he will get at least one promotion during the year. book it.

[/img]

RSN
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#13 » by TyCobb » Tue Apr 1, 2008 1:02 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:Wrong breakout player from the Angels, Cobb:

SP Trevor Reckling - LAA

That's a good one too. Also, Angel Castillo from the Angels.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by bigboy1234 » Tue Apr 1, 2008 1:19 am

C Nick Derba - STL

Amazing defensive catcher displayed great plate discipline, walking in a little over 15% of his plate appearances last season. He's buried down on the depth chart but if he can convert those doubles into HRs, he may be one of the better sleeper prospects in the game.

I believe he'll be starting the season in Hi A which is amazing for a 30th rounder even if he was a college senior just last year. His defense is definitely what will keep him going. There are legit prospects below him in Luis De La Cruz and above him in Bryan Anderson so he is definitely has his work cut out for him. And it's hard to be better than Yadier defensively. But you have to love the walks and defense he brings.

Aaron Cunningham
- Has done nothing but perform, reached AA this season and has a career OPS greater than .850 with pretty good speed. Only thing that worries me is his projection.
Nick Weglarz - Well he's better than Lars so whats not to love.
Cole Rohrbough - Great draft and follow guy, rated best curve and control by BA in ATL system and can get it up to 95.
Wilmer Font - ever since I saw his name on the BA velocity report I've loved him. A couple weeks ago there were reports he was sitting at 98, which is bananas. Hasn't even turned 18 yet.
James McDonald - Killed it last year striking out 30% of the hitters he faced between Hi A and AA. Tops at 95, BA rated his curve better than Kershaw's and as the best control in the system. Just returned to pitching in 2006 after having injuries. Still has some projection in his 6-5 frame.
Michael Saunders - Great frame at 6-4, has nice speed, and very good defensively. Of course he plays for Seattle so he'll likely be in the bigs by the end of the year, which will be a mistake, I would love to see him a full season at AA. High BABIP worries me a little though.

Other guys:

Brian Jeroloman - great defense with a ton of walks, too bad he can't hit, if he could learn to hit somewhat would be a very good prospect.
John Whittleman - combines power with being able to take a walk
Fernando Perez - great outfielder with speed, probably not as good as last year but never talked about
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Chach » Tue Apr 1, 2008 9:24 pm

Jeremy Hellickson- SP DevilDogs

Nice sized righty with a strong fastball and a killer curve. The limited pitching experience in the minors worries me a bit, he has some arm soreness to start last season but that may have worked out for the best to help limit his innings increase. Should be slated around 140-150 innings in High A. Needs to work on his change and stay healthy to hit his innings mark but he should be one of Tampa's best prospect.

Henry Sosa- SP Giants
Put up some fantastic stats in the Sally League and held his own in the Cal League. Excellent strike out numbers and, like Hellickson, has a great fastball/curve combo. If he cuts down on his walk rate more, he is going to be another break-out pitcher. mahalo
~Chach~
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#16 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Apr 1, 2008 11:24 pm

I'll stick to the Yanks since they're what I know best...

Austin Jackson - Made huge progress last year at high-A but people want to see it at a higher level before they believe it. I think he will meet expectations and make the leap into being one of the elite CF prospects.

Jesus Montero - Has incredible skill at the plate and showed a ton of improvement behind the plate last season, enough that the Yankees are convinced he can stay there despite his size. He arguably has the best raw power in the minors and has showed consistent ability to crush the ball to all fields.

Jairo Heredia - Probably won't get enough innings to become a top prospect, but he can may begin to demand recognition. Awesome fastball and offspeed stuff with equally good control. Extremely young and compares himself to Pedro (obviously a little too confident perhaps) but we will see.

Other guys that really intrigue me are Austin Romine, Carmen Angelini, Ivan Nova and Abraham Almonte.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 2, 2008 10:30 am

Bleeding Green wrote:OF Josh Reddick -- Does he count? Regardless, he has amazing contact ability, good power, good speed, strong arm. All of his tools are above average.

Why are the Sox having him repeat in Greenville?
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Chach » Wed Apr 2, 2008 8:57 pm

That is a good **** question. Why he is starting at Greenville and Jason "I had a sub.700 OPS in Greenville" Place gets a nod boggles my mind. Matt Sheely I have never heard of. Expect a promotion around early May, I'd guess. Ryan Kalish is starting in XST and Greenville is the next step for him so Reddick may be fine-tuning things in Greenville until Kalish is ready and then get the nod. mahalo
~Chach~
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#19 » by Jose7 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 1:09 am

Jonathan Niese tonight vs Trenton Thunder
5.0 IP, 1 Hit, 0 R, 5K/1Bb
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#20 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 4, 2008 3:28 am

Chach wrote:That is a good **** question. Why he is starting at Greenville and Jason "I had a sub.700 OPS in Greenville" Place gets a nod boggles my mind. Matt Sheely I have never heard of. Expect a promotion around early May, I'd guess. Ryan Kalish is starting in XST and Greenville is the next step for him so Reddick may be fine-tuning things in Greenville until Kalish is ready and then get the nod. mahalo
~Chach~

Plus Place didn't even play tonight for Lancaster, which is just even weirder.

I think Reddick is only playing in Greenville for a very short period.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Minor Leagues