ImageImage

Off Topic Thread:

Gervin
Starter
And1: 20

Off Topic Thread: 

Post#1 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:11 pm

This was a big hit on the Lakers board so i decided i should bring it here...

This is a place where us Cardinals fans can get to know each other outside of baseball. I know theres only a few here right now, but we gotta start somewhere.

...so i'll guess i'll start w/ sayin that I saw the movie "Blood Diamond" the other day. It was a much better than movie than i expected. I actually find most Leo Dicaprio movies to be pretty good. (non homo) lol
From the Glory Days of The Lakers Board - Respect That
Follow on Twitter @Gervination
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm

What's "Blood Diamond" about? I might want to check it out. I can live with Di Caprio if there is also a hot-looking actress or two in the supporting cast. :)

I haven't seen any movies recently that I was too excited about. I've spent more time recently reading than movie-watching. Hey, I'm a nerd. I read lots of history. I'm in the middle of a book about guerrilla warfare in Missouri during the Civil War. Missouri was a complete hellhole--divided allegiances, no front lines, no rational or consistent plan of action, just neighbors killing neighbors, plus everyone hating the outsiders sent in to restore order (primarily Union troops, although Confederate outsiders would have been equally hated if the South had been in any position to station regular troops here). Hard not to draw parallels with the situation today in Iraq. Don't worry though, it's safe enough these days for you "foreigners" to come to St. Louis for a Cardinals game. I haven't run across any bushwackers or jayhawkers in ages.
Gervin
Starter

Post#3 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:51 pm

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809354237/info

Theres some info on Blood Diamond...the chick in it is pretty hot mizzou lol

Yeah im considered an outsider...and its good to know when i come to visit ST Lou...that i wont be knocked off b4 i get there lol
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Jennifer Connelly... :love:

Where are you from Gervin? California?
Gervin
Starter

Post#5 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:23 pm

lol actually almost the complete opposite...

I live in Beaufort, South Carolina. Right on the water lol

I've just always been a Lakers fan since early childhood, as well as Cardinals.

Became a Rams fan because they kind of tie in w/ the 2. LA Lakers = LA RAMS.....St Louis = obvious reasons.

but i've always stuck w/ these teams and dont intend on changing.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:21 pm

That's funny, you don't write with a Southern accent. :)

I looked up Beaufort in the atlas...looks like my kind of locale. Man, I envy you. I really wish Missouri would get itself an ocean shore. I keep hoping that plate tectonics will bury Kansas and its loathsome basketball program deep within the Earth's mantle and cause a nice ocean to take their place, but so far no such luck.
Gervin
Starter

Post#7 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Yeah its a great locale if you like to be isolated to do ur own thing. (which i do)

Only problem is I have to travel 5 hours at the least to go see a professional sporting event. But yes it is nice...tourists can get annoying because of all the history here, but i figure st louie gets its tourists as well.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#8 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:36 pm

So, I guess I'm the only one that actually lives in St. Louis. Which means the only real fan.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Hey Buddy, I can read that small print, I have special Mod buttons just like you do. :wink:

I guess I was a "real fan" twenty years ago when I was still living in St. Louis. I sure went to a lot of ballgames...bleacher seats were only $3 then, even I could afford them. And by some miracle my then-girlfriend married me even though I took her on so many cheap dates to Busch.

I'm in Columbia (Mo.) now, so I'm not too far away. I can watch all the games on TV, or listen to them on the radio if it's a day game and I'm at work. And I'm in St. Louis probably once a month on average for various reasons, and usually am able to make it to a half-dozen games or so a year although it has gotten harder to get tickets with the new stadium.

So things could be worse. I miss Ted Drewes and good Italian restaurants though. Nothing like that in Columbia.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#10 » by pacerfan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:38 pm

I now live in Indianapolis. Grew up a Cardinals fan listening to Harry Carey and Jack Buck on KMOX and local stations in the Terre Haute area. So that tells you I have not been a kid for many, many moons.

Most recent movie I've seen featuring Leonardo was The Departed. I'd recommend...I liked it a lot. He's a young cop undercover in the mafia. His life crosses with Jack Nicholson, a guy I will watch in almost any movie. Jack is an Irish mafia boss; Matt Damon is a young mafia plant in the police department. Enjoy, if the plot seems like it fits your movie tastes. It did mine. :)
Gervin
Starter

Post#11 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 pm

Yeah well i can ALSO read the small print...copy paste...my special non-mod abilities...

Maybe it makes me a true fan bcuz i pay the a$$ of money to get MLB Extra Innings so i can watch all the Cards games lol
Gervin
Starter

Post#12 » by Gervin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 pm

pacerfan wrote:Most recent movie I've seen featuring Leonardo was The Departed. I'd recommend...I liked it a lot. He's a young cop undercover in the mafia. His life crosses with Jack Nicholson, a guy I will watch in almost any movie. Jack is an Irish mafia boss; Matt Damon is a young mafia plant in the police department. Enjoy, if the plot seems like it fits your movie tastes. It did mine. :)

i enjoyed the Departed a lot...actually i dont think theres been a Leo Dicarprio movie that i didnt enjoy...lol
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#13 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:31 pm

The Departed was to me the best movie of 2006.

Another movie I recommend that I saw recently is "Inside Man" with Denzel.
Gervin
Starter

Post#14 » by Gervin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I've heard a lot about Inside Man, but never gotten the opportunity to watch it...

Today Im gonna watch "Lord of War" w/ Nicolas Cage and Ethan Hawke....was told that it was pretty good
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#15 » by pacerfan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:30 pm

Thanks for the movie tips. I'm putting Inside Man on the on deck list.
Gervin
Starter

Post#16 » by Gervin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Cool man....let me know what you think of it when u see it...

Ive watched the 1st two games of the NBA playoffs and have enjoyed both games...all i've done 2day...

Last night i wasnt sober...
Gervin
Starter

Post#17 » by Gervin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:15 pm

Lord of War turned out to be a pretty good movie...and added that it was based on actual events made me like it even more...

I'd recommend it.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#18 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:24 pm

If you guys are talking about movies. I saw Shooter this weekend. I was very impressed. Mark Wahlberg was a badass as usual.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
Gervin
Starter

Post#19 » by Gervin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:03 pm

I'd like to see that one as well...heard some good things about it.

Yes Mark Wahlberg is one of my favorite actors...Four Brothers was great
Gervin
Starter

Post#20 » by Gervin » Fri May 11, 2007 6:42 pm

OK so where i live there are 2 bridges on and off this island.

Some drunk douchebag drove a freakin barge into one of the bridges...so its closed 4 a couple months...

The traffic is (Please Use More Appropriate Word) now...i raged out the other day because it took me 4 hours to get to work when normally it takes me 15 minutes...

Return to St. Louis Cardinals