Can we get more from Steve Novak?

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

jackeyok
Ballboy
And1: 0

Can we get more from Steve Novak? 

Post#1 » by jackeyok » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:04 pm

happy new year!

Last night we lost a winable game.But I think i can see more upside of Rockets from this game.Not because we tied one hand behind without T-mac,but also Adelman started valueing Novak,best spot shooter of the team.Novak's defence is still very weak.u can say close to 0.but remember Peja's first two seasons was same lack of strength as Novak right now.Adelman used him as SG ,avoided him being posted up.

So do you think we should put Novak in just by the match as a garbage time killer or develop him as a important offence weapon?
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#2 » by Baller 24 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 4:35 pm

Lol I liked what I saw, he can really shoot, I think he fits right in with that 2nd unit option, but hes no Peja lol Peja actualy did other things on offense, but I can see him developing a role on the offensive side for this tream.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
CJballa14
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by CJballa14 » Tue Jan 1, 2008 6:11 pm

he was playing a team that doesnt play defense... thats why he was so open for his 2 threes.... i say cut him...
Yao Ming Fan boys annoy me...
Tracy McGrady fan boys annoy me...
Steve Francis fan boys annoy me...
GO ROCKETS!
moofs
General Manager
And1: 537
Location: "if the warriors win the title this season ill tattoo their logo in my di ck" -- 000001

Post#4 » by moofs » Tue Jan 1, 2008 7:27 pm

Last year, I had Novak and Head on about the same plane. This year, Head seems to have pulled away from Novak significantly. We'd play him at either sf or pf, and at either position we have 2 guys that are better.
Morey 2020.

Q:How are they experts when they're always wrong?
A:Ask a stock market analyst or your financial advisor
Rocketsterps
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Rocketsterps » Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:28 pm

CJballa14 wrote:he was playing a team that doesnt play defense... thats why he was so open for his 2 threes.... i say cut him...

Are you kidding? If we pulled off the Kyle Korver trade everybody would be going crazy here like they are in Utah now. Well, we already have Kyle Korver, a 6-10 version. We just need to play him like Philly/Utah plays Korver. Steve Novak is no worse on defense than Matt Bullard or Steve Kerr was, Jason Kapono is or Brian Scalabrine, Matt Bonner, Vlad Radmonovic, Brian Cardinal, and especially JJ Redick for that matter. When Novak is on the floor we need to get him the ball everytime he's open for three unlike last game. W/ all the problems we have had w/ shooting I'm shocked RA has not used Novak sooner. Novak is perfect for this team because Yao (and Tracy) will always command a double team. Steve Novak will make them pay!

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/stevenovak.asp

NBA Comparison: Kyle Korver

Strengths: One of the purest shooters around ... Effortless release on his shot ... Has a lifetime free throw and 3 point shooting percentage higher than JJ Redick ... His range extends easily out to NBA 3 ... A player that cannot be left open ... Only missed 18 free throws over his entire college career ... Could fit a role as a specialty shooter on the next level ... Very crafty player ... Competitive, good decision maker ... Has good size and length which helps him to get shots off ... Gets the most of his abilities ... Steps up in big games, put up 41 points leading Marquette to a win over UConn in his senior year ... Showed steady improvement each year, and stepped up as the team's leader as a senior taking Marquette into the NCAA tournament ... Passing skills and vision are decent ... His body strength has shown steady improvement ... With added strength he has become a better rebounder ...

Weaknesses: His game is fairly one dimensional as a spot up shooter ... Over 2/3 of his FG attempts are from 3 ... Athleticism is well below average, his speed and agility is poor ... Doesn't get much lift, rarely dunks the ball ... His foot speed limits his overall effectiveness ... Not a highly aggressive player, some of that has to do with his lack of body strength ... Shies away from contact ... Has no real back to the basket game ... A defensive liability. Lacks the foot speed to defend small forwards and the strength to defend power forwards ... Doesn't have the speed or ball handling to create shots for himself ... He can struggle to get looks if an athletic player is defending him ...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steve-Novak-129/
Best Case: 6-10 Kyle Korver
Worst Case: Matt Freije
2008-09 Championship Depth Chart
1) Ben Gordon/ Aaron Brooks/ Rafer Alston
2)Tracy McGrady/ B. Barry/ V. Wafer
3) Shane Battier/ R. Artest/ C. Hayes
4) Luis Scola/C. Landry/Joey Dorsey
5) Yao/ D. Mutumbo/Sean Williams
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by DraftBoy10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:03 am

He's not Kyle Korver. Korver's defense isn't the greatest, but it's average and you cannot design an offensive gameplan at go at whoever Korver is guarding much like you can with Novak.

Korver is a better rebounder and offensive reader, this guys can come off screens well, and great at understanding spacing. However, Novak sucks at both. Novak is horribly weak and shows little confidence.

I say cut this bitch too.
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#7 » by DraftBoy10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:04 am

And for the record, Kapono is a far better defender than Mr. Novak.

Kapono can actually play pretty solid D.
Rocketsterps
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by Rocketsterps » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:27 am

DraftBoy10 wrote:He's not Kyle Korver. Korver's defense isn't the greatest, but it's average and you cannot design an offensive gameplan at go at whoever Korver is guarding much like you can with Novak.

Korver is a better rebounder and offensive reader, this guys can come off screens well, and great at understanding spacing. However, Novak sucks at both. Novak is horribly weak and shows little confidence.

Take a look at the Philly board. I've watched the trade Korver/ Korver sucks posts for a month. Philly fans complained about Korver's matador defense the same way your talking about Novak. You also may be the very 1st person to say Jason Kapono plays good defense. He was moved to the bench in Toronto for a globetrotter because he plays no D. W/ guys like Korver, Kapono, Bullard, etc. you have to pick the right time and matchups and mask their negatives w/ good team defense.

From the philly board: Is Kyle Korver trying to suck thread...
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=742778
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#9 » by DraftBoy10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:53 am

Korver blew on D because thier team defensive system blows on D. Korver wasn't "that" before under different coaches, or even under Jim O'Brien( I believe it was him).

As for Kapono, a lot has to do with the coach. When the Heat faced any team usually, Posey wouldn't take the best man, nor wade, but Kapono faced them for just about half the game and did a solid job at that last year. This year you take a look at the Raptor's defense and see that they do not rely on positional defense, but heavy rotations and gambling. A lot has to do with the defensive system, and I'm thinking in Utah...Korver does fine.

I mean take a look at our team, before we were playing some amazing D, this time around our D is average to say the least, team defense is an entire philosophy ...but most players have the ability to play defense cause it's discipline and effort, while some offensive players require a certain athleticism level to be guarded by them.

As for Novak, he just doesn't have the expierence plus players treat him like a little bitch(rightfully so) when they see him. He's soft and a little whore, and it's painfully obvious, any team can sense his fear.
Rocketsterps
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Rocketsterps » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:04 am

DraftBoy10 wrote:And for the record, Kapono is a far better defender than Mr. Novak.

Kapono can actually play pretty solid D.

Is that a joke?

Jason Kapono
Scouting report:
When he's not making shots, Kapono doesn't offer much, especially at the defensive end. He has good size for his position but average lateral movement and subpar strength, and he can't jump. He ranked second-to-last among small forwards in blocks per minute and eighth from the bottom in rebound rate. Although he rarely puts it on the floor for more than a bounce at a time, he is a good dribbler for his size and sees the court well.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/players/ ... atsId=3734

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/jason_kapono.htm
Rocketsterps
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by Rocketsterps » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:32 am

DraftBoy10 wrote:Korver blew on D because thier team defensive system blows on D. Korver wasn't "that" before under different coaches, or even under Jim O'Brien( I believe it was him).

As for Kapono, a lot has to do with the coach. When the Heat faced any team usually, Posey wouldn't take the best man, nor wade, but Kapono faced them for just about half the game and did a solid job at that last year. This year you take a look at the Raptor's defense and see that they do not rely on positional defense, but heavy rotations and gambling. A lot has to do with the defensive system, and I'm thinking in Utah...Korver does fine.

I mean take a look at our team, before we were playing some amazing D, this time around our D is average to say the least, team defense is an entire philosophy ...but most players have the ability to play defense cause it's discipline and effort, while some offensive players require a certain athleticism level to be guarded by them.

As for Novak, he just doesn't have the expierence plus players treat him like a little bitch(rightfully so) when they see him. He's soft and a little whore, and it's painfully obvious, any team can sense his fear.

We were 3rd in the NBA on defense last year. Currently, we are 3rd (behind Boston & Detroit) in points allowed. In addition, we are currently # 3 in FG% against just slightly behind Detroit & Boston. WE STILL HAVE A HIGH QUALITY DEFENSIVE TEAM -- w/ the same rank as last year. As for Novak, it seems like it's personal to you. Did he have sex w/ your girl or something? Like Kapono, Novak sat his entire first year. Korver became a valuable sharpshooter off the bench for Miami and Riley regrets letting him go to Toronto and has been trying to replace what he brings w/ Luke Jackson. Who also "struggles on defense".
http://www.hoopshype.com/players/luke_jackson.htm

W/ steady minutes Novak will have more confidence and he and Aaron Brooks will light things up from outside.

Novak = Matt Bonner Spurs 2006-07 NBA champion
Novak = Jason Kapono Miami 2005
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#12 » by DraftBoy10 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 5:43 pm

Rocketsterps wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We were 3rd in the NBA on defense last year. Currently, we are 3rd (behind Boston & Detroit) in points allowed. In addition, we are currently # 3 in FG% against just slightly behind Detroit & Boston. WE STILL HAVE A HIGH QUALITY DEFENSIVE TEAM -- w/ the same rank as last year. As for Novak, it seems like it's personal to you. Did he have sex w/ your girl or something? Like Kapono, Novak sat his entire first year. Korver became a valuable sharpshooter off the bench for Miami and Riley regrets letting him go to Toronto and has been trying to replace what he brings w/ Luke Jackson. Who also "struggles on defense".
http://www.hoopshype.com/players/luke_jackson.htm

W/ steady minutes Novak will have more confidence and he and Aaron Brooks will light things up from outside.

Novak = Matt Bonner Spurs 2006-07 NBA champion
Novak = Jason Kapono Miami 2005
Rocketsterps
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Rocketsterps » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:25 pm

DraftBoy10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rankings, and stats aside are you more confident about last year's defensive team or this year's? For me, as an observer last year's defensive team was a much more reliable We have stretches where we suck on D, but equally we have strectches where we are good.

Plus I'm not talking about, our defense only, I'm talking about thier defense. The Miami Heat that Jason Kapono played for vs. the Toronto Raptors that Kapono played for in 2006-2007 vs. 2007-2008. Completely different styles of defense, so don't even try to compare them.

And look at those players you mentioned. Kapono couldn't even get past like 15mpg in 2005-2006, was just a spot minute player, as for Bonner he got more time as the season went on....but look at that....Bullard, Chilcut, are you serious? Are these your high hopes for Novak?
All great shooters have the same primary skill-(great shooting, obviously), it's just everything else about them in terms of understanding the defensive system, confidence, and just respect team's give them play a large, large part when you put them out on the court. We have shooters like Luther and Battier that are well respected, 40%+ 3pt shooters that have confidence in their shot. Novak is just a scrub, he's too inexperienced to be anything more, and he has shown nothing worthy for us to devote playing time to him besides just a shot.

I would love for Novak to play the Bullard role and help us win another ring.

You keep saying he's inexperienced. How does one gain experience -- by doing. He played 4 years in college and has done a stint in the D-league and needs time on the court in the NBA to get confidence and experience. I'm done debating this w/ you man. Just listen to the Morey interview I posted. Morey confirmed today everything I've been saying about Novak. He said Novak has the same skill set as Korver and Kapono too.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#14 » by BaYBaller » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:18 pm

I think the biggest problem is that the only way to mask Novak on defense right now is to have him play SG, and with the backcourt we have he isn't going to get much burn when T-Mac gets back.

And yes his defense is worse than Korver, Cook, etc. because not only does he suck at defense fundamentally (not just matador defense, but fouls everybody driving on him which is even worse!), but also physically. At least Korver and them weigh more than 100 lbs soaking wet.
mosarsour
Freshman

Post#15 » by mosarsour » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:18 pm

DraftBoy10 wrote:

I'd say the only bitch here is you DraftFag10. Novak is underutilized as a serious offensive weapon and is extremely underrated in all other aspects of his game. I agree that he doesn't have the defensive presence of Bruce Bowen or the speed of TJ Ford, but he's a far superior shooter to anyone Houston has on their roster, T-Wack included.
"You cannot have a bland feeling about me. Either I'm a showboating son of a bitch or I'm the darling that everyone picks on." - Al McGuire
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#16 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:37 am

mosarsour wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd say the only bitch here is you DraftFag10. Novak is underutilized as a serious offensive weapon and is extremely underrated in all other aspects of his game. I agree that he doesn't have the defensive presence of Bruce Bowen or the speed of TJ Ford, but he's a far superior shooter to anyone Houston has on their roster, T-Wack included.

Oh okay, let's all listen to mosarsour. Say what you wish, but bottom line is I'm defending Van Gundy's and even the brief stint of Adelman when I say what I say.

Rocketstherpes, mosarsour, you guys know too much for me. All the facts you guys throw at me, all the possibilites, I mean it's wowing that Novak can be a Bullard. You guys obviously see something in this stud, but the problem is ...you're a nobody. You're not Adelman, you don't call the shots. Have faith in the man we pay millions to coach the team and has the credentials in doing so.
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#17 » by King Roosk » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:47 am

Just for the record, I was at the most recent Rockets-Raptors game, and Jason Kapono is absolutely worthless when his 3-ball isn't falling.
DraftBoy10
Banned User

Post#18 » by DraftBoy10 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:51 pm

Visual references can be your examples, but I'll stick to stats and philosophies when determing a player's defensive ability when they change teams:

http://www.82games.com/0607/06MIA9B.HTM

That's team stats, but recognize Kapono's in all the higher categories and the difference in defense when players are different. It's the whole concept of defense by the team that really employs the player.

I'm sure if you leave Kapono one on one guarding Kobe, or McGrady, or Wade, they'll beat them. But only players like Kobe, Bowen ,Artest, Prince can do something about that.

Kapono's FG-Allowed % in Miami was 48.8. Battier's was 46.5 last season. Obviously Kapono isn't as good on D as Battier, but let's take a defender who's well regarded, but not premiere, and not necessarily in the right fitted team-- Stephen Jackson-- his was at 49.9%. You know who else has 49.9%? Kyle Korver under Cheeks in Philadelphia, but got a 48.3% under O'Brien(when I previously mentioned he was doing "solid").

Right now, Kapono is at a 49%. Parker is the better defender, Moon too, yet there is 51.1%--Parker, and 48.8%--Moon.

Kapono is no "stud" defender, but he's certainly not a matador one. He's a solid defensive player that's not necessarily a liability, unless he's in complete position just like 99% of the players. And research more facts and you'll see Korver as not that shabby in the right system.

Korver was at 50.4% in Philly, let's see how he goes in Utah by season's end when you completely change defensive teams and system. You got Sloan vs. Cheeks and a new group of players. I think Korver will be at about 48.8%, if he is...that's significant improvement.
King Roosk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#19 » by King Roosk » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:00 pm

mosarsour wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Get out of here troll. Don't come to our board and use offensive language like that; this is a public warning.

Return to Houston Rockets