ImageImage

Team is makin' progress, but needs results

Moderators: ken6199, TMU

McTracy
Rookie
And1: 0

Team is makin' progress, but needs results 

Post#1 » by McTracy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, I was thinkin' about Rockets' season. We have already 32 games gone so we can say something. Of course Houston is not playin' like they should, like we tought but I wanna notice one thing.

Genarally we are strugglin' offensivly and defensivly and what's the main we are -2 and we cannot fall in a winnin' mode.

As I said I wanna notice one thing. Just look how our game has changed since Denver's game on December 20th. That was a game when McGrady was out, we took Denver to 2 over times and we only lost because of 'bad luck'.

And I think everybody should notice it - since that Denver's game our offense has changed. We are playin' a lot better right now, we are sharin' the ball, we are able to find open looks, even make them, we are able to find easy baskets and the defense has also been better. Since that Denver game Rockets are averagin' about 98,7 PPG which is a very good score.

So guys it was clear our offense, Rick and his tactics needed time. Righ now everything is workin' a lot better but I even still think we will be better.

And what's the most painful we are losin' a lot of games. Even if our offense, defense is good we are not able to win. You see at that GSW game, it should have been an easy win for Rockets but that 4th quater ended everything. The same againt Boston. We were down as many as 20 points and I didn't think we could have scored more than 90 pts. But we made a great run, run without our leader and run against the best team in the NBA. So that means something, more, that means a lot. But as I said it's painful cause we lost past 2 games which were not that bad, Boston's game was even very good.

Maybe it's because McGrady is out. It was clear we missed his points against Warriors or Celtics.

But in this leauge it's all about winnin'. If you cannot do that you will be eaten. It's all about results. It doesn't matter how you play, it only mattters that you win, that's all. So we just have to continue to play that way, share the ball, make shoots and defend. But on the same time we need to win games, not only play well cause nobody sees it when we lose. We need to play well but we need to win.

It can be only easier now. The schedule looks easier, McGrady will be back and we are a lot more confident than we were. But what's important - our team has made a progress.

Thanks, and Go Rockets!
IT'S TIME
jove9
Starter
And1: 159

Post#2 » by jove9 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:40 pm

After the first quarter of the Boston game I was ready to turn the game off in disgust. Then, our subs came in and went on that run. With a few minutes left in the 4th, I thought there was a chance we could win the game, but Boston was just too good.

I agree that the offense has changed since the Denver game. But is this more of a result that T-Mac has been out and the ball has moved around more?

When both stars are in, those two guys dominate the ball. Without one of them, there are more opportunities for everyone else.

Obviously, we need to find a way to integrate McGrady into the offense. Once he comes back (and if we can continue to play like we are), we should be able to do well.
Iggyemu
RealGM

Post#3 » by Iggyemu » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:49 pm

Yea our offense got better when McGrady went out. The problem now is that we can't close b/c we don't have a guy like him who generally takes good care of the ball down the stretch and gets a shot for himself or for others...making or missing...we get shots when teams clamp down in a close game b/c of him.

If and when he comes back healthy we must incorporate him into this balanced attack. The other night I said when teams front Yao..disrupt Yao...the other guys can't settle for jumpers they must attack. We did that last night with 50 points in the paint against the leagues top defense. When McGrady comes back he has to buy into that as well.

If we can get him incorporated into the balance that we have shown he'll give us the opportunity to win big..close games b/c he is a very smart basketball player.

He needs to come back soon. That goes without saying. And he has to stay healthy for us to have a chance at a playoff spot. Seems like he always has 1 good year followed by a bad 1 then another good 1. This year seems no different...he has to find a way to stay healthy without hurting our on-court play (lots of jumpers that he misses).
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
Neel
Senior

Post#4 » by Neel » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:20 pm

Is it really that much easier to type an apostrophe at the end of a word than typing a "g"?
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#5 » by BaYBaller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:46 pm

Neel wrote:Is it really that much easier to type an apostrophe at the end of a word than typing a "g"?

Haven't you heard? ' is the new g, dawg.
jove9
Starter

Post#6 » by jove9 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:48 pm

BaYBaller wrote:Haven't you heard? ' is the new g, dawg.

You mean: daw'
jove9
Starter

Post#7 » by jove9 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:57 pm

King,

You locking your own thread was the funniest thing I've seen on here in a looooong time. Thanks for the laugh.

Hope you feel better soon.
nyk_buc
Head Coach
And1: 58

Post#8 » by nyk_buc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:21 pm

Iggyemu wrote:Yea our offense got better when McGrady went out. The problem now is that we can't close b/c we don't have a guy like him who generally takes good care of the ball down the stretch and gets a shot for himself or for others...making or missing...we get shots when teams clamp down in a close game b/c of him.

If and when he comes back healthy we must incorporate him into this balanced attack. The other night I said when teams front Yao..disrupt Yao...the other guys can't settle for jumpers they must attack. We did that last night with 50 points in the paint against the leagues top defense. When McGrady comes back he has to buy into that as well.

If we can get him incorporated into the balance that we have shown he'll give us the opportunity to win big..close games b/c he is a very smart basketball player.

He needs to come back soon. That goes without saying. And he has to stay healthy for us to have a chance at a playoff spot. Seems like he always has 1 good year followed by a bad 1 then another good 1. This year seems no different...he has to find a way to stay healthy without hurting our on-court play (lots of jumpers that he misses).

tmac just needs to get healthy and STAY HEALTHY. i think he will become more of a playmaker with the resurgence of bonzi and the improved play of scola/brooks/head.

we still need to make bonzi a starter.
grond
Senior

Post#9 » by grond » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:42 pm

Agree with everything Iggyemu said above. Totally spot on. I just hope that incorporating T-Mac into the offense goes as smoothly as possible.

nyk_buc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Bonzi and/or Scola (I'd prefer 'and' at this point). It irks me to give the haters ammunition, but I was fairly pissed at Adelman's rotations down the stretch yesterday - it seemed he was ignoring all the evidence of the previous 3 qtrs with that final lineup.
BaYBaller
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#10 » by BaYBaller » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:56 pm

Yeah we needed T-Mac for that Boston game. But to extrapolate on that it was mainly because Yao was shut down by single coverage from KG down the stretch. The team so far has been very effective at attacking the holes in the defense from the attention paid to Yao (and even the bench unit did well with Yao on the bench), but when Yao was only able to draw single coverage Yao is supposed to be able to go to town. They went to Yao down the stretch vs Toronto and it worked because he was still drawing doubles. More plays to get Yao position should have been run though if they really wanted to go into him though.

Where T-Mac comes in is when he is the post-entry passer. Suddenly it puts their defense at jeopardy when they front Yao because T-Mac can take his man off the dribble and attack the rim with no big body to contest him. Or if they sag on T-Mac he has a wide-open shot. It's too much to ask one of our role players to create for themselves in such a situation.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#11 » by DraftBoy10 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:08 am

Iggyemu wrote:Yea our offense got better when McGrady went out. The problem now is that we can't close b/c we don't have a guy like him who generally takes good care of the ball down the stretch and gets a shot for himself or for others

That plus the title of this thread says it all.

We've made significant progress, but are 2-2 in this battle. What has stopped us from being 4-0 is exactly what is above. T-Mac just needs to work within the system, we can't carve out things in it for him, if he works within it....he'll do great. I mean if Rafer can be great in it, I'm sure Tracy can. Tracy can be great anywhere, just this system is doing wonders for certain players, it's time for Tracy to get in it.
camron1269
Senior

Post#12 » by camron1269 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:49 am

i think adelman might finally be done experimenting with his players.
looks like head and brooks are his guys off the bench. i doubt we see francis, james, or snyder the rest of the year. for their sakes, i hope we trade one or more of them.
while tmac has been out, rafer has been driving to the basket more and has been pretty successful at that. hopefully when tracy returns, rafer can turn some of his dumb shots into good penetration to the basket. surprisingly though, yao hasnt really taken over without tracy around. its been everybody else really. bonzi, luther, rafer.

i just really hope we can integrate mcgrady into what we already have going for us right now. and if we make a trade, hopefully its before or right when tmac comes back. ive mentioned this before but im feeling trading a combination of hayes, battier, snyder, and/or james for artest or somebody else who could be a third scorer and fit in the offense and still make up for battier's D.
Neel
Senior

Post#13 » by Neel » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:16 am

Since I was essentially an ass and came into this thread and ended up just trolling, I've returned to actually be on topic.

A good buddy of mine is Rockets fan and he has LP, so I watch a good many Rockets games.

I must agree that of late, the ball is moving around well and the win column doesn't do justice to how the Rockets are playing recently.

I have to throw this out there though: In that double OT thriller with the Nuggets (my team), Magic said that the offense stagnates with Yao and T-Mac in together. I brought up that statement in the game thread that day and a lot of the Houston posters on here agreed with Magic, so is it possible that T-Mac's return could actually return the offense to it's previously stagnant state?
McTracy
Rookie

Post#14 » by McTracy » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:23 pm

nyk_buc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

tmac just needs to get healthy and STAY HEALTHY. i think he will become more of a playmaker with the resurgence of bonzi and the improved play of scola/brooks/head.

I think Tracy will not be that playmaker as he was last season. Alston will be now a much better scorer (his drives are really good) but he will be a great passer with Tracy in.

As for Bonzi no doubt he's better than Shane but i'd rather see him playin' off the bench to carry the team.
IT'S TIME
tisbee
Starter

Post#15 » by tisbee » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:37 am

Neel,
The Rocket role players have said they've stood around waiting for McGrady to draw defenders and then pass them the ball. when McGrady went out the Rockets had several days between games and were able to practice Adelmans offense. The players now know they have to move to score and more importantly know they can score by moving.
When McGrady comes back,what should happen is for 3 Quarters he will be a passin'(!) fool,then if game is close,try to take over in 4Q. For this to happen Adelman has to bench players who don't move. For anyone who thinks McGrady won't pass to open cutters,what games have you been watching? Except for offensive putbacks,Chuck only scores off McGrady passes. He's the only Rocket who knows how to hit a cutting Yao at the right time/place.He constantly fed Bonzi on his cuts,only Bonzi hadn't gotten his legs back and kept blowing layups. T-Mac is an excellent outlet passer,which if rest of Rox run makes up for his lack of hustle getting down court.
The best looking McGrady as playmaker set has him at rt or left side of FT line and Rockets cutting off screens. McGrady is in triple threat position-can pass,drive,shoot J.

Return to Houston Rockets