ImageImageImage

What do you guys think about going after Michael Redd?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

What do you guys think about going after Michael Redd? 

Post#1 » by rsavaj » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:10 pm

Reading on the Trade Board/General Board/Milwaukee Board that there are some talks about blowing up the team....I like Redd a lot, and I think he would fit in great here, but his contract is effing huge.

This is what I came up with...which side says no?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#2 » by rsavaj » Fri Jan 4, 2008 9:32 pm

From the ESPN board....I 'lol'd even though it's completely unrealistic.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb? ... 4787&lid=5

"The immediate problem becomes, of course, where Redd fits in the rotation. He can't start, or else we'll get eaten alive defensively. And there's no way that you can bring a max salary player off the bench in good conscience, especially when you traded a scorer at 1/3 the salary(Barbs) to get him....which is why I don't see a practical method of obtaining Redd.

My dream scenario: Joe Johnson demands out of Atlanta, and shazam:

It's a big giant mess of a trade that doesn't make sense for anyone but Phoenix, but I don't care. I'm content with fantasizing about a Nash/JJ/Hill/Marion/Amare lineup.

Edit: screw it....I'ma attempt to justify this nonsense even though it can't be done.

Why for Milwaukee: they go in full rebuild mode, and ditch a couple of long-term contracts(Gadzuric, Redd, Williams) for a little more than 7.5 million in expirings, one superb prospect at a bargain(Barbosa), one intriguing player who could yet pan out(Boris), a solid vet(Raja), and a bunch of filler.

Tyronn Lue/Charlie Bell/Anthony Johnson/Royal Ivey
Raja Bell/Leandro Barbosa/Ramon Sessions/Awvee Storey/David Noel
Yi Jianlian/Desmond Mason/Bobby Simmons
Boris Diaw/Charlie Villanueva/Michael Ruffin
Andrew Bogut/Zaza Pachulia/Jake Voshkul

That's the lineup of a rebuilding team: it's not pretty, and it has 18 players on it, which is completely illegal. Do I care? I do not. A Barbosa/Easy Yi/Bogut/Villanueva core is decent to build around. Enjoy your lottery pick.

MOVING ON!

Why for Atlanta: In this hypothetical, crazy world of mine where Joe Johnson demands a trade and mountains are made of Nutella, they decide to get some value for JJ by acquiring an elite scorer(Redd), a good PG who is playing extremely well(Mo Williams) to finally lead the show, and filler(Gadzuric).

Mo Williams/Acie Law/Speedy Claxton
Michael Redd/Salim Stoudamire
Josh Smith/Josh Childress
Marvin Williams/Shelden Willams/Solomon Jones
Al Horford/Dan Gadzuric/Lorenzen Wright

Weirdly enough, I don't see this as much of a downgrade for them at all.....that team looks pretty remarkably close to the team they have.

Why for Phoenix:

Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Grant Hill
Shawn Marion
Amare Stoudemire

That's why.

The End!*

*no, you don't get your colossal waste of time back. i'm sorry."
ana_suns
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ana_suns » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:50 pm

I don't think we should make any changes unless its a defensive upgrade, in the frontcourt.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#4 » by LukasBMW » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:42 am

ana_suns wrote:I don't think we should make any changes unless its a defensive upgrade, in the frontcourt.

You are a smart man!
ana_suns
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by ana_suns » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:06 am

KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#6 » by KJ7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:24 am

When Ray Allen was on the Sonics someone proposed a trade to get him. Well Redd is pretty much the same type of player. My biggest problem with obtaining a player like this is he'll be paid too much to do what a role player could do in this system.

On other teams where they could use all his array of skills I could understand paying him that much. But really, what's he gonna do within our offense that Bell doesnt (OK a Raja Bell who is actually shooting well). Or Barbosa for that matter.

They spot up in the corner/wing and take spot-up jumpers. That's pretty much what Redd would be reduced to if he played for us. Sure he would make them at a better clip (possibly record-breaking) but I don't think that's enough to pay him that much money.

I think some of Milwaukee's other role players could be good fits here but I can't really think off too many fair trades. The fact is prior to receiving his contract I wouldve loved to get Gadz. But then I thought he was overpaid and if you think Banks contract sucks then Gadz is getting paid more (for a worse team) and still not getting any mins in a team that goes deep. Somethings gotta be wrong there and I wouldn't do a trade that revolves around Gadz for Diaw mainly for that reason. I would much rather put our efforts into re-signing Skinner quite frankly.
eastsidecrossover
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by eastsidecrossover » Sat Jan 5, 2008 4:42 am

I would say you have to take a look at him because of his talent. In our system, and his role being not as big as it currently is, I would say he would be overpaid with the suns. But I think scoring wise, it would be better at the sg position.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns
WTFsunsFTW
Veteran
And1: 113

Post#8 » by WTFsunsFTW » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:42 am

We dont have enough players on the roster for it to work folks lol.

PLus they wouldnt move redd if they were blowing up their team unless it was for a garnett like trade of a mass of young talent. He is worth his weight in gold there.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,444

Post#9 » by Stix » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:13 pm

I like this a little better...

Redd just wont fit into our line-up well.
JustMoe
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#10 » by JustMoe » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:08 pm

I like Redd a lot, but do we really need another player who's pure offense, no defense? We've got plenty of those, I'd say, and besides the financial problem (as long as we're not willing to trade Nash/STAT/Trix for him we'd have to give up half our squad AT LEAST in order to make this work financially) spending tons of money on a guy like Redd doesn't make much sense to me.
Raptors fan through good and (mostly) bad times since 1995

2019: The year hell froze over

Return to Phoenix Suns