ImageImageImageImageImage

Player of the Game - Wizards vs. Sonics (1/6)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Player of the Game

Caron Butler
79%
Antawn Jamison
10%
Antonio Daniels
3%
Antonio Daniels
3%
DeShawn Stevenson
No votes
Brendan Haywood
No votes
Darius Songaila
3%
Other (Write-In Candidate)
No votes

Total votes: 29

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Player of the Game - Wizards vs. Sonics (1/6) 

Post#1 » by WizStorm » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:30 pm

Here are the Player of the Game nominees from tonight's game...

Caron Butler: 33 points (FG:12/21, 3P:3/5, FT:6/6), 4 rebounds,
5 assists, 4 steals, 1 turnover

Antawn Jamison: 21 points (FG:8/18, 3P:1/3, FT:4/7), 12 rebounds,
3 assists, 3 steals

Antonio Daniels: 13 points (FG:5/8, FT:3/5), 10 assists,
1 rebound, 4 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover

DeShawn Stevenson: 13 points (FG:5/10, 3P:1/4, FT:2/2), 2 rebounds,
1 assist, 3 turnovers

Brendan Haywood: 10 points (FG:3/7, FT:4/4), 9 rebounds, 1 assist,
1 steal, 2 blocks, 1 turnover

Darius Songaila: 8 points (FG:4/7), 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers

Feel free to post your thoughts and argue the merits for your favorite candidate. Also be sure to post your thoughts on the 2nd and 3rd place guys, including role-players that stepped up and made a difference in the victory.

Player of the game from the Wizards victory over the Milwaukee Bucks (1/4) (link)..
Image Player of the Game - Antawn Jamison Image
_____Image
__24 points (FG:9/15, 3P:1/4, FT:5/5), 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, 1 block, 1 turnover
________________________2nd Place - Brendan Haywood
_________________________3rd Place - Caron Butler

For 2007/2008 Player of the Game Summary, click HERE

For 2006/2007 Player of the Game Summary Archive, click HERE
For 2005/2006 Player of the Game Summary Archive, click HERE
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#2 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:42 pm

Without a doubt in my mind, Caron gets the POTG award tonight.

1. Caron - Dominated the game. Crucial buckets. Big defensive plays. Everything you could ask for.

2. AD - Controlled the game perfectly. One thing I noticed from AD today was that he didn't take any outside jumpers (except for that last second one to end the half). He focused on driving at certain points and taking care of the ball. Great game for him.

3. Antawn - Another double double...ho hum. But seriously, he dominated the boards and did a nice job trying to score from the interior. Had it not been for his fg%, he'd probably have been #2 in place of AD.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#3 » by WizStorm » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:47 pm

Hard to go against Caron with his monster game. But I will anyways ... I think AD had an exceptional game leading the offense.

All the starters were great today. Have to give some props to DS for some nice D, usually paired against Durant during much of his time on the floor.

My order:
AD
CB
DS/AJ/Wood (all had good games in their own right)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,067

Post#4 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:47 pm

Butler, no contest. The guy was everywhere.

Daniels gets my 2nd place vote. A double-double and he got to the rim all day long. He had a few quality drives early in the 4th that were daggers.

Jamison is 3rd. Man he is rebounding like a monster this season. I had an epiphany the other day when EJ went with Haywood and Blatche on the court together. Both those guys are long and athletic and get their hands on a lot of balls. But neither of them have great rebounding IQ with respect to understanding where the ball is going to bounce and how to seal off their man. Our rebounding was still lousy with both guys on the floor. Jamison is the opposite of Haywood/Blatche. He may lack the length and athleticism to get those hard-to-reach balls, but he has a very high rebounding IQ and exceptional hands. I think we're a better rebounding team with Jamison at PF. Haywood/Blatche tip the balls and keep them alive, and Jamison is the one who actually grabs the ball. It's a good combination.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#5 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 9:28 pm

Tough Juice is the man but I'm going with

AJ

3 ASSIST :clap:

AJ had a great line but this was his first 3 assists, 3 steals game of the year.
Add in 21 points, 12 rebounds and I had to go with AJ. It was the assists that really got my attention though.

AJ
CB
AD
Spence
Head Coach
And1: 35

Post#6 » by Spence » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:00 pm

TJ
AJ
AD
Satan is happy with your progress.
DC Pro Sports Report is a good site for DC pro sports news.
wermolwermol777
Rookie
And1: 15

Post#7 » by wermolwermol777 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:26 pm

1. Caron Butler
2. Antonio Daniels
3. Antawn Jamison
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#8 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:29 pm

I totally forgot that this was a matinee affair! Based on the stats, Butler was the best guy on the floor but AD's 10 assists caught my eye as well. Haywood barely misses another double-double.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:30 pm

I missed this game. Stat line says Butler.

Jamison's rebounding, his assists, and his steals, and of course his scoring all lead me to believe that if the Wizards can win most of their games in January then Jamison needs to get some serious all star consideration from the coaches and GMs.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#10 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 11:06 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I missed this game. Stat line says Butler.

Jamison's rebounding, his assists, and his steals, and of course his scoring all lead me to believe that if the Wizards can win most of their games in January then Jamison needs to get some serious all star consideration from the coaches and GMs.

Shhhhh

We don't want that. That will make him cost more. Lets keep this our little secret.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#11 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Jan 7, 2008 12:03 am

Caronimo....had one of his beast games, and the steals were great.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#12 » by keynote » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:50 am

nate33 wrote:I had an epiphany the other day when EJ went with Haywood and Blatche on the court together. Both those guys are long and athletic and get their hands on a lot of balls. But neither of them have great rebounding IQ with respect to understanding where the ball is going to bounce and how to seal off their man. Our rebounding was still lousy with both guys on the floor. Jamison is the opposite of Haywood/Blatche. He may lack the length and athleticism to get those hard-to-reach balls, but he has a very high rebounding IQ and exceptional hands. I think we're a better rebounding team with Jamison at PF. Haywood/Blatche tip the balls and keep them alive, and Jamison is the one who actually grabs the ball. It's a good combination.

TJ gets my vote here as well, but I agree w/ Nate's sentiments. I think that Jamison works especially well with Haywood, since BTH takes up more space (and requires more "box-out" effort) than Blatche. Often an active space-eater will end up creating rebounding opportunities for his teammates).

Blatche, on the other hand, tends to "crash" the boards from afar, relying on his length and relative quickness to get to the ball. While that tactic might result in the occasional spectacular tip-dunk, he doesn't make things easier for his fellow big on the floor (usually Darius). Jamison clearly a better rebounder than Darius, but I think BTH's presence also helps to boost AJ's numbers.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having a Kurt Thomas-type on our bench. He definitely has a nose for the ball off the glass, and is still playing at a solid level. Oh for the day when the Wizards are good enough (or at least have a good enough reputation) to cause a Kurt Thomas-type to pitch an opportunistic fit and demand a buyout, just to join the Wizards a few weeks later for the veteran's' minimum.
picknrollaction
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#13 » by picknrollaction » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:34 am

Roger Mason for dunk of the game!
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#14 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:36 pm

Tough Juice. He played a near flawless game.

Second place goes to Brendan. We sucked when he was off the floor, we ruled when he was on. Period.
In Rizzo we trust
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#15 » by Soup's Uncle » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:01 pm

Tuff Juice all da way!
F Street = Wall Street
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#16 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:09 am

Just saw the replay on comcast. Or parts of it anyway. I really liked how AD ran the offense. I missed the part where CB was raining threes. Whole team is playing well. Blatche makes me want to throw a brick at the tv sometimes and then he makes a play like that no look to songaila and you're like, ok, I'm willing to wait for him to develop.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.

Return to Washington Wizards