Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Say it ain't so, Joe: Gibbs to resign 

Post#1 » by jmrosenth » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:13 pm

[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#2 » by daSwami » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:22 pm

short list of coaches for next year: Cowher, Carroll. Hell, knowing snyder he'll probably make a run at Billichek.
:banghead:
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#3 » by Induveca » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:38 pm

Gibbs accomplished zip this time around. Should have stayed retired.
DieHardWizFan
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#4 » by DieHardWizFan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:40 pm

I am not surprised. Cowher won't come to the team with the worst cap situation in the league, it will be Saunders or Williams.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:41 pm

Yeah, it's gonna be Williams.
F Street = Wall Street
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:44 pm

Wow. I was hoping for 1 more year, but with people making comments like Induveca did - what's the point? I'd quit too if I'd accomplished half of what Gibbs did and worked half as hard, and people still treated me with that lack of respect.
mzaretsk
Bench Warmer
And1: 5

Post#7 » by mzaretsk » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:50 pm

thanks coach, its been great having you back!!!

i sure hope gregg 'second g stands for genius' willliams is not running the skins next year. pls pls pls let it be cowher.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#8 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:57 pm

It's karma, the Redskins will never win a championship with Dan Snyder as owner.
KennyGreen
Freshman

Post#9 » by KennyGreen » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:58 pm

Induveca wrote:Gibbs accomplished zip this time around. Should have stayed retired.

totally disagree...the team is in much better shape now than when he took over...2 playoff appearances in 4 years is "zip"?...
"Offense puts people in the seats but defense wins"...KB
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#10 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:01 pm

It was fun, and it was nice to get to the playoffs, but im ready for a change.
KennyGreen
Freshman

Post#11 » by KennyGreen » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:03 pm

DieHardWizFan wrote:I am not surprised. Cowher won't come to the team with the worst cap situation in the league, it will be Saunders or Williams.

don't believe the media on the cap situation...the Skins can get to roughly 15 million under the cap w/ little problem...Cowher likely won't come not b/c of the cap situation but rather b/c Snyder won't hire a real GM...I agree that it will likely be Williams and I hope it is...hopefully he can convince Saunders to stay by giving him total, unquestioned control to run the O much like Gibbs used to give Pettibone total authority over the D during his first run in DC...
"Offense puts people in the seats but defense wins"...KB
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:10 pm

I think Miami might have been after Williams, but by Gibbs stepping down that keeps Williams in DC.

The Skins were snakebit this year, and Gibbs' playcalling and a few unfortunate mistakes dearly cost Washington on offense. Overall, he still was the same classy person who had the respect of the owner, coaches, and players alike. Gibbs just couldn't win in this era. Run, run, pass ain't gonna get it done. Time to let it go.

The defense and the team overall are in better shape, now. Gregg Williams could have great success if they get the O-Line healthy and maybe add some speed at the receiver position.

Oh, and hang the kicker. :)
Bye bye Beal.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#13 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:14 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I think Miami might have been after Williams, but by Gibbs stepping down that keeps Williams in DC.

I have also been reading this from people on various skins boards...it makes some kind of sense too. Is it worth Gibbs staying on one more year and losing G.W. and Al, or stepping down now (staying on as an advisor) and keeping the rest of the coaches together for a long period of time?

Anyway we look at it, he was probably only gonna stay for 1 more year if he stayed at all. Right now he is just going to help make sure things are set to run smoothly for awhile.

I have visions of Greg Williams coaching and actually getting it now, not like in Buffalo. Greg would also allow Al to open up the offense. I appreciate what Gibbs has done, he has brought winning back....now lets carry that on.
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:19 pm

No way would Gibbs want to see Parcells scoop up Williams. Donkey, this way Gibbs graciously moves aside but keeps the things building that he's established with Mr. Snyder and with Gregg Williams. Personnel and staff turnover become minimal and the Skins build on this playoff appearance.

Why not have Gibbs stay on as some sort of advisor?
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:22 pm

I think Williams gets it, but I hope Saunders stays. It would be a real shame to get someone new after it took so long for the players to finally learn his complex system. And one thing is likely - whereever Saunders goes - Todd Collins goes.
RealGM

Post#16 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:24 pm

Internally, assuming Williams gets it, I agree Ruz, that Saunders and Collins def need to stay.

Brunell needs a ticket elsewhere.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:24 pm

KennyGreen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

don't believe the media on the cap situation...the Skins can get to roughly 15 million under the cap w/ little problem...Cowher likely won't come not b/c of the cap situation but rather b/c Snyder won't hire a real GM...I agree that it will likely be Williams and I hope it is...hopefully he can convince Saunders to stay by giving him total, unquestioned control to run the O much like Gibbs used to give Pettibone total authority over the D during his first run in DC...

That's good to hear about the cap situation. I know that they've proven the cap hell idea wrong many times, but I thought this offseason would be the toughest. Do you have a link to how they could get that far under the cap?
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#18 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:25 pm

Yeah, if Williams becomes coach, the key is to keep Al Saunders. Otherwise, it's like Jason Campbell digressing into a rookie again.
F Street = Wall Street
RealGM

Post#19 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:29 pm

I'm a bit down because I wanted Gibbs to go out on top.

Not just that, but here in Hawaii after getting throttled by Georgia and seeing Brennan go out on his back, Coach June Jones has decided to take a huge raise (can't blame him) to leave the program and to go coach at SMU.

June Jones is the Joe Gibbs of these islands. They love the man and are pretty down about it here.

I don't feel that way about Gibbs leaving. He was the oldest coach and his playcalling showed he's pretty set in things that worked in the past. At least he and the players got to the playoffs for Sean. I'm not as down about Gibbs leaving as I am Jones.

Another class act departs ...
Bye bye Beal.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager

Post#20 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:30 pm

Gibbs supposedly let the play calling go to Gregg on D and Al on offense this year anyway. Most of the stuff was already set in place to make this an easy process when he stepped down. If we can stay with Gregg and Al, we should be okay.

Return to Washington Wizards