ImageImageImageImageImage

Spencer Hawes

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

sackings916
Assistant Coach
And1: 614

Spencer Hawes 

Post#1 » by sackings916 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:09 am

Where is the low post game that I heard about since we drafted him? His jumper looks great, but you'd think he would at least be showing signs of a low post game. I didn't watch him in college or in the summer league so I haven't seen anything else from what he's shown in the few minutes he's gotten here. To anyone who's been watching him why do you think he hasn't shown his post game here? Is it because of the offense we run? Theus not calling for him to get the ball down low? Was he scoring in the post in the summer league?
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#2 » by Cruel_Ruin » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:11 am

He's way too weak. He lost a ton of weight in his freshman year, and recently got back to his HS weight (Which was pretty damn skinny as it was). I agree I want to see him in the post more, but he just can't hold position.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#3 » by Wolfay » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:20 am

I think we're just not utilizing his post-moves. I think we have him doing more of Brad Miller role- standing at the top of the key directing traffic. I can't say for sure though, as I haven't watched him much.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:26 am

That isn't how Theus intends to use him apparently. He said he wants to use him as a pick and pop player right now.

Anybody that saw him in summer league can tell you that even at 19 he can write the book on post moves.

Here are some highlights on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R27dlM9A_bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ7LSqOYzdo
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#5 » by KingInExile » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:48 am

His post game is too immature to be effective in the NBA right now. He needs more strength to be able to go up against most veteran NBA centers. He has post potential, but he needs to work on it more before trying to use it in games.

I agree with Theus, though, that he will be more effective as a high-post center who can spread the floor with his outside shooting abilities.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#6 » by nolimit0820 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:06 am

Yeah at this point he best utilized just as brad is. His post game we will see develop as he becomes older. I dont expect to see his post game utilized on a regular basis until later on in his career. Learning to play how he is being used right now is definitely the way to go and will only help in his overall development as a player. But nonetheless I cant wait to see him get down on the block and be able to hold his ground.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#7 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:29 am

It'll come along more as he gets more mature in the league (not meaning as a person, of course). Like others said.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#8 » by pillwenney » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:36 am

Like I said at the beginning of the year, all of the most post moves in the world are useless if you're pushed out to 15 feet away from the basket. Spencer just isn't strong enough yet. He just has to dedicate himself to getting stronger.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#9 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:01 am

mitchweber wrote:Like I said at the beginning of the year, all of the most post moves in the world are useless if you're pushed out to 15 feet away from the basket. Spencer just isn't strong enough yet. He just has to dedicate himself to getting stronger.

And like I have said before that isn't the deathknell for a finesse big man like Spencer. Sure he needs to get stronger in the worst way but I see him being a guy that will get a lot of calls subsequently getting to the line quite often.

From the little we have seen of him in the post this year I think he was trying to show off more than anything. The tape I have gone back on and looked at had him shooting just about everything in the post with his left hand. Some of it wasn't pretty but some of it was. Most of the time he went to his left on purpose, he is right handed.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,474

Post#10 » by pillwenney » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:19 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And like I have said before that isn't the deathknell for a finesse big man like Spencer. Sure he needs to get stronger in the worst way but I see him being a guy that will get a lot of calls subsequently getting to the line quite often.

From the little we have seen of him in the post this year I think he was trying to show off more than anything. The tape I have gone back on and looked at had him shooting just about everything in the post with his left hand. Some of it wasn't pretty but some of it was. Most of the time he went to his left on purpose, he is right handed.

It's not about having a "power" or "finesse" game. It's about being able hold position. No matter how skilled you are, you need to be strong enough to hold your ground. Spencer isn't there yet.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#11 » by a-rod » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:39 pm

KingInExile wrote:His post game is too immature to be effective in the NBA right now. He needs more strength to be able to go up against most veteran NBA centers. He has post potential, but he needs to work on it more before trying to use it in games.

I agree with Theus, though, that he will be more effective as a high-post center who can spread the floor with his outside shooting abilities.

Agreed. for this season anyway.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:

Return to Sacramento Kings