ImageImageImageImageImage

Orlando beginning to slide

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#21 » by Spicy P » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:53 am

I'm not surprised. happened last season too when they were the number 1 seed and slid all the way out of the playoff picture at one point.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Hairy Midget » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:05 am

Just so you know the Magic don't cross the Mississippi for the rest of the season.

Part of the reason for the slide is just fatigue from playing the most games in the NBA and by far the most road games in the NBA.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#23 » by MoGrAdY » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:10 am

Why is it every time I come over here there is always a Magic thread or a Dwight Howard thread lol? I dont really see this as slipping as much as it is playing some tough games lately. The loss to Sacto was bad. But Denver and Utah are damn good teams. And theres nothing we can do about it now but for about 90% of the people who saw the Foyle tip in vs Houston said it was good. If that game woulda went into OT I think we would have won the game because our guys were on a nice run. The NJN game previous was a botched game, we were up by 6-12 pts the entire game untill the 4th QTR and slowly started to fade. not to mention Vince Carter got a "Star call" to give them the eventual 2 winning FT's. I am frustrated beyond belief right now because we played good enough to win against DEN and UTAH but just couldnt get it done for various reasons. Im still a firm believer that this team will get on track. If we had just lost to Seattle , Minnesota, and New York then yes id be a bit worried. But like I said losing to Utah and Denver isnt something to hang your head about.
MoGrAdY
RealGM

Post#24 » by MoGrAdY » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 am

ansoncarter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

never understood that comparisson.

not just because dwight is nowhere near as good, he isn't built like shaq

is it because they both started in Orlando? I don't get it.

Simple. Its mainly the style of play. You dont see Bosh straight dominating guys in the paint and dunking on everyone. Thats what dwight does and thats what Shaq did. And Dwight is widely considered the best big man in the game right now. Unless ofcourse you prefer ming or Amare. And when you look at Shaq, winning what, 4 rings? I think alot of people think Dwight can have that same type of impact for the magic.
bill russell
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#25 » by bill russell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 am

Orlando's going to be around in the playoffs and (sadly) I'd still bet they finish ahead of us. They're having trouble now because their schedule has got a bit tougher and they're playing more games on the road. They had a pretty easy first thirty games. I think the same sort of slide is about to hit portland. That team's played almost two thirds of its games at home and it's spent very little time in the east. with any luck, the portland slide starts hours from now...
MoGrAdY
RealGM

Post#26 » by MoGrAdY » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:18 pm

bill russell wrote:Orlando's going to be around in the playoffs and (sadly) I'd still bet they finish ahead of us. They're having trouble now because their schedule has got a bit tougher and they're playing more games on the road. They had a pretty easy first thirty games. I think the same sort of slide is about to hit portland. That team's played almost two thirds of its games at home and it's spent very little time in the east. with any luck, the portland slide starts hours from now...

I disagree here. You do realize weve played the most road games in the NBA right? Weve already been West twice. I wouldnt say our first 30 games were easy at all. PHX twice, BOS twice, SAN, DET mixed in with games against pretty god teams like Utah, Denver, GSW, Toronto, Portland, and Cleveland. But your right about the recent slide, we are playing some tough games right now.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,430

Post#27 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Sagarin ranks schedules a bit for USA Today:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/nbasend.htm
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
no_hops_23
Junior
And1: 2

Post#28 » by no_hops_23 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:39 pm

Even with all the road games they've had Orlando has had a much easier schedule than us(we're 3 toughest anywhere you look where as they're between 11-15 depending upon what you use). Therefore if both teams continue to play at this level just given the differences in schedule we'll catch them.
Colangelo turning water into wine
Tommy Gun
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#29 » by Tommy Gun » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:06 pm

I would not be surprised to see these two teams finish 4&5 and meet in the first round of the playoffs. I still have Cleveland finishing 3rd in the conference.
Appel:
Bargs will be an all-star while Bosh averages 10/6 in Miami

Return to Toronto Raptors